Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

pentyne posted:

You'll have to choose very specific paths early on and stick with them. If you want magic? Mainline to get it asap. Just from memory for heavy on the magic you'll want to max the following skills

- Finance (whichever one gets you into the vaults, and in general a mastery of all as the 3 skills are in quite a few skill checks)
- Priestly stuff (Lore etc.)
- Lumen stuff

And then just see what related failures you make. There seem to be a few very divergent paths that require focusing early on, but trial and error is the only way to figure it out. Make sure to know what weekend activities can change your mood so you get the highest boosts to whatever you're studying. If you try to min max it properly, you can ignore a skill for 3 weeks, and in one week make up all the missed exp by having the right moods.

Be warned, there's one event, exploring the old ruins, that requires 4-5 back to back skill checks for wildly different skills you are certain to fail unless you built your princess specifically to beat it.

Also, try to get your moods in the middle. There's no extra bonus for having Willfull higher or lower, as long as it's the dominant stat for example. It'll make it easier to manipulate moods in order to learn skills more efficiently.

Don't worry about failing checks (unless it kills you), especially early on, it's almost inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Dongattack posted:

Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Anything to note before i get further into this game? Nothing on the wiki. I don't want to touch MP or Coop at all, (bad connection and people are stupid) am i gonna have trouble buying all the sweet stuff? I tried one of the optional missions, but it was one tiny square where enemies came from every angle at me and i almost quit the game there and then. But i did a plot mission after that and that was pretty rad.

I recently finished it and it was my first Splinter Cell game so this might be really obvious if you've played any of the previous games:

- There's a button to whistle/make noise to lure enemies over for a takedown (it's the Z key on the keyboard)

- Enemies have almost no vertical vision in most situations, use pipes all the time

- Doing all of Grim's side missions unlocks the best stealth gear, it's very useful

- You can take out heavy soldiers by using the sleeping gas crossbow upgrade combined with the execution attack in one shot

(minor spoiler):

- Sometimes you'll get to decide whether to kill an important NPC or not during a cutscene, your choice doesn't matter AFAIK

Ekster fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 4, 2014

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

I'm having fun so far but I'm dying all the time, that's normal right? Why should I expect to live?

Some of the earlier parts can be pretty brutal difficulty-wise, especially because you aren't aware of all the strategies to distract/take down enemies yet. I played it on normal and the difficulty was just right for me personally, don't be afraid to lower it if you get frustrated.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Anything for Arkham Knight that I wouldn't know from playing asylum and city to death?

I'm not too worried about collectibles or 100%ing the game, more interested in any gameplay stuff I need to know, and in any must-have upgrades (there's an overwhelming number of upgrades)

I'm on ps4 so hopefully I'm in the clear for bugs and such

Only thing I can remember is that you can't unlock all the fast travel towers from the start until you have the necessary upgrades for them. Unfortunately, the game doesn't really tell you which you can and can't unlock at any given point, so don't break your head over how to get in a tower if the solution isn't somewhat obvious.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Oh derp, I can't read, yeah I was thinking about Origins.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

juliuspringle posted:

I'm getting close to Mass Effect 2 time. Am I correct that the only dlc things not included in the Trilogy copy is The Arrival and complete arsenal pack? Getting to the point where I cave and buy dlc so I can have everything and I don't want to give EA money for things I already own.

Start Origins, go to My Games, click on Mass Effect 2 then click on the 'i' icon for information. If you scroll down it shows what DLCs you already own.

As far as I know it's impossible to buy DLCs you already own through Origin.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

ArgaWarga posted:

Bought Splinter Cell:Blacklist as part of a Humble Bundle. Never played a Splinter Cell game before but I love sulking around and picking enemies off. Anything I should know, particularly when it comes to spending money? Thanks!

Unlike most other stealth games Sam loves to climb on pipes to get almost anywhere, be on the lookout for them. Money becomes inconsequential about halfway through so just buy whatever you like. The game is quite flexible to your approach and tactics so I can't see you screwing yourself over.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So what about Dark Souls 2:Scholar of the First Sin? and i haven't played the original game since the first DLC came out for originally. Turns out they weren't kidding with "new enemy placements" as i ran into a dragon trying to go fight Old Dragonslayer :stare: anything in particular i should know? It seems to be different enough and i'm kind of out of practice at this point that i feel i should ask.

If you haven't played DS2 since it was released note that the meta has changed a lot since then. Most of the OP spells have been nerfed rather hard, so Faith and Hex builds aren't nearly as good as they were back then. Weapon balance is much better now so feel free to try out weapons that you liked but were bad before.

Note that elemental builds suck in the DLCs because almost everything there has stupid high elemental resistances. Just bring along a good phys weapon and you should be fine.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Also note that in FF8 drawing magic from monsters is easier the higher your magic stat is, so you might want to junction to your magic stat when you want to draw a lot of magic from a monster. The game sometimes goes on and on about the details of a mission you're about to undertake as if it's important to remember; it's not in the slightest. The card minigame is a bit involved and I recommend you just look up a wiki, especially with regards to rules and the spreading of it since some of the rules are terrible. You get a GF fairly early on that can transform cards into items or magic which can be very useful and can break the game if you know what you're doing (breaking the game in FF8 is half the fun). You can completely ignore the card minigame if you want to without any problems, though.

As others have mentioned the most important thing is trying to keep your levels relatively low. Leveling up does unlock higher tier magic from monsters (which results in higher stats when junctioned) but when you've unlocked the highest tier there's no reason to level up any further as it only makes the game more difficult. There's no need to obsess over it, just don't grind levels and you should be fine.

FF8 is my personal favorite FF, flaws and all, and I didn't care much for FF9 so just try them both out.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Also, always check what you can draw from bosses. A lot of GFs can only be gotten from bosses, and many of them have great magic to either use or junction before you can get it from normal monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Anything I should know about The Swapper?

Nothing that I can think of. It's a very smooth experience in that regard.