Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Anything I should know for Expeditions: Conquistador?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

You won't find the animals organically by doing story missions, you'll have to specifically hunt for them. It's a little tedious in my opinion.
There are missions for unique named animals, though. Those you can't get otherwise.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MG2 should be played if only for the Zanzibar Poisonous Hamsters.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

juliuspringle posted:

How the hell and where do I get the relic under the doctors house in Far Cry 3? I just finished the mushrooms in the deep quest and am worried I hosed myself out of it.
There's a cave under the house, you'll get there in a plot mission later.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

I was really expecting a full page of "REFUND BUY SOMETHING ELSE".
Anyway, since I didn't really get to starting it off proper since then, I'll repeat my question of what should I know before playing Expeditions: Conquistador since there's a fuckton of things to put points into and at least some of those gotta be dump stats.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Thanks everyone for the conquistador tips, now I'm off to exploit the hell out of some natives.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

I'm fairly sure the decapitation thing is a myth, it just makes them come back sporting a stylish metal collar.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Similarly, the shoulder charge move is utterly loving amazing. Learn it, embrace it, love it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gerblyn posted:

You can actually kill him, or at least do so much damage that he runs off. You don't get anything special for doing it though
Yeah, not even an achievement. Talk about disappointing. To add to the background info: Academic has some very late game applications. Probably not worth it, but if you're into charisma...

Anything for Lost Planet 3? I'm particularly interested in whether it's worth backtracking to used T-posts because that's boring as hell and generally distracts from feeding grenades to bugs.
e: Also, will my mech ever move faster?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 19, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

I'm honestly surprised to see people discounting Eiger's sniper build - she was consistently one-shotting (one-turning, rather) enemies way into the endgame for me that way.
Lucky Strike is great, though. I guess the one point to take from it is that you can make all the characters work pretty easily.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Utility skills are front-loaded, gun skills are end-loaded. That is - bumping Medicine (for example) up to Trained makes every medkit heal an additional 30 hit points. Further skills bumps only increase the healing by 15 points each, despite costing much more. Meanwhile, training Rifles (for example) to Master gives you as much of a benefit as the previous Trained and Advanced bonuses combined (not to mention misc bonuses like perfect accuracy on all rifles and being able to snipe cameras).
A bit of an exception to that being the Heavy Weapons skill which you can't really use in a firefight unless it's level three, at which point it stops big guns slowing your movement down to a crawl. Until then, it's only really used for extremely loud lockpicking.

edit: VVV Yeah, fixed that. Let's face it, you haven't lived until you've managed to blow your face off with a GEP gun while trying to get that sweet sweet candy bar behind the glass.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 24, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Here's without a doubt the single most important tip for DmC: Devil May Cry.

-The "skip cutscene" button is Backspace.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So what about Dark Souls 2:Scholar of the First Sin? and i haven't played the original game since the first DLC came out for originally. Turns out they weren't kidding with "new enemy placements" as i ran into a dragon trying to go fight Old Dragonslayer anything in particular i should know? It seems to be different enough and i'm kind of out of practice at this point that i feel i should ask.
Fear the Shrine of Amana. They made it 150% more annoying. Also, if you haven't played the DLC: most enemies there come with a fuckton of resistances, particularly to fire and lightning; you always want to carry a strong physical weapon and a way to attack at range.
Also faith builds were nerfed to hell, but I think that came before.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

If I remember The Pitt correctly, they're going to take away all of your equipment on start so you definitely want to save that for a higher level.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

I got a question about Valkyria Chronicles. Read the wiki but apart from that - what exactly does leveling my people up do? Stats go up, I assume, but there's an occassional message about a hidden talent or somesuch that I can't really find anywhere - does that mean they get more traits or something?

Oh, and is there any use for engineers other than slowly walking behind my tank and fixing it?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Well, at least my suspiciouns in that direction proved correct. So what's the leveling up business about?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Scouts in general are obscenely overpowered. Slap one with the anti-tank or general damage buff Order and a single attack right at the radiator will kill just about any tank.
That was my impression, yeah. Anyhow, are there any particular recruits that stand out as being better (or worse) than others? I'm in chapter 5 and they really seem interchangeable apart from the three that give extra CP.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Monk E posted:

I got warcraft 3 and frozen throne really cheap at a secondhand store anything someone who hasn't played an rts before should know?
You're fine, there's really next to no strategy in this one. Don't forget to use the abilities of your heroes and take a look at what attacks beat what armor, you should be able to breeze through the game just fine.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

African AIDS cum posted:

Playing Castlevania SOTN for the first time, just wandering around not knowing what I'm doing. Got to a boss I can't beat. Anything I should know about?
Feel free to back out, explore a bit, get some levels and items. I don't think there are any "trick" bosses until Richter, so it's a matter of either stats or learning the pattern.
Alternately, if you really want to cheese the early game, look up the button combos for magic; the spells aren't locked, buying them just tells you how to do it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

A very easy and effective spell to use is Hellfire: up, down, down+forward, forward, attack. It's Dracula's signature triple fireball move and you can use it to dodge projectiles too.
The easiest one to pull off is Summon Spirit: back, forward, up, down, attack; creates a homing projectile you can use to cheese bosses with impunity. There's a far more powerful variant but I don't remember the combo for that one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

Oldie, but anything for Ghost Trick?
Don't take anything for granted.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really wanted to like the Sniper Elite games but there are loads of little things that render both 2 and 3 utterly unenjoyable. 3 is better but still generally plays like a lovely knockoff of MGSV.
Yeah, right? I can't put my finger on it, the pieces are there, stealth, traps, multiple ways of doing things, cool shots, but somehow it's just so bland.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

I've read the wiki entry for Dying Light but it's fairly sparse and contradictory: is there anything to add to that? Specifically for talents and early survival?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

-When you get to choose between the planets to go to, don't do Nar Shadaa first, it's probably the hardest.
-Raising influence with your companions is very useful in this game, you can turn a bunch of them into Jedi if they like you enough.
-Some party members you can gain influence by talking on your ship, but there's a couple (an engineer and a robotic ball), that really only get conversations while out there solving quests. If you want their backstory, you need to have them with you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GhostBoy posted:

In the recent Steam sale I bought Styx: Master of Shadows. I know nothing of the game, except it looked fun. Any tips before I dive in?
There are four extra objectives that you can get extra experience for on each level: doing it under a certain time, doing it without killing anyone, doing it without being seen and collecting all coins (there's ten for each area past I believe the tutorial one). It's usually best to aim for one of those on a run.
Either way you won't be able to max out every skill so think a bit about what you want to get.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Anything for Ori and the Blind Forest?
Get ready for a lot of precision platforming.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Not really, but you if you're going for that, you want G0-T0 and Bao-Dur with you since the majority of their lines is outside and you can't get much influence with them just by talking. Really no idea about the Mandalore. Atton and Kreia can be opened up just on Ebon Hawk, ditto for your gender-specific companion and (I think) Mira and Hanharr. The two returning robots are mostly repair/computer skill checks.
You might want to bring Atton around if you want to make sure he's a Jedi before his solo section, though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 20, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Anything for Killing Floor 2?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Deltasquid posted:

Thanks. so basically like every Bioware game ever. I'll make sure to avoid the support styles; that's probably a trap I would have fallen into.
Eh, there's at least one support style that's retardedly broken; I'd say go for whatever appeals, it's not like it's a difficult game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

Tips for Risk of Rain? I'm going to primarily be playing 2 player so preferably geared towards that.
Don't get turned off by dying a lot early on. The game gets progressively more fun as you unlock more characters and items.
The characters play really differently. Don't expect to master them in one playthrough.
The key is in learning how to balance exploration and the timer. There really aren't any good guidelines for that besides "do what you feel is right". The first level is usually worth spending some time on if you have the money to open some chests.

edit: Off! Off, I say!

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 30, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm just starting Valdis Story, and I'm totally poo poo at Metroidvanias, always missing optional stuff etc. even when I try to keep an eye out. Any tips?
-Your stats actually matter, think a bit on where you're going to put those points. You can respec later on but it costs items.
-Speaking of items: Never sell/use your last Rogue's Cowl, you'll need one to buy the double jump ability and there's a limited amount of them.
-Another item to look out for is Tamahagane: there's only ten of them in the game and they allow you to do extremely powerful stuff after defeating a certain optional boss - with all ten of them you can unlock another weapon, or they can be used to upgrade your weapons and armor, or gain extra levels over the cap.
-That one companion ability that grants you regeneration is extremely useful.
-Learn to love magic. The system feels a bit wonky at first (every magic rune adds four spells, you can have a total of four spells equipped and the combination of spells you have gives you stat bonuses based on light/dark affinity) but the most powerful combos and attacks are all done with spells.
-Backtrack. Explore. There's a ton of hidden stuff, including areas and bosses.

e: Oh, right, forgot why I came here. Endless Legend is kicking my rear end. I've read what's on the wiki here but I mostly got issues with combat, especially judging what I can and can't take on - my starting army of a hero/2 (usually) archers can usually wipe out a village and then get obliterated by the first wandering army it runs into. I know units heal slowly over time, but is there a way to make them rest faster? Just how much of an army (compared to focusing on sim city'ing) do I need to stay in the game?
I've played a ton of Civ 5 and GalCiv 2 but the early game seems to be much more cutthroat here - what are some early priorities, buildings/army size I should be aiming for?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 13, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

That yeti is actually a bit of a dick move. He's an optional boss that will eventually move away - you can come back and fight him any time (IIRC) before you depart for the town to the left. If you let him change location, he'll be in a later area and you'll lose access to one shop. It's better to kill him early because he drops an item that's used to make a weapon, but it's best to wait a couple levels.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

No, and that's probably the worst design decision in the game. I wouldn't sweat it, though; you always get something and aren't really expected to get S ranks without knowing all the nuances of the combat system/having a really minmaxed build.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

Yeti is indeed a dick move, but he's actually doable immediately, even on hard. The core of Valdis Story's boss fights is pattern and telegraph recognition, so practice for those S-ranks, son. There's a quick restart fight option on the menu when you fight bosses that they put in just for this reason.

Fair warning: if that's not your poo poo, Valdis Story may also, in fact, not be your poo poo.
Eh, it's not my poo poo, I never S-ranked a boss in that game and still enjoyed it immensely.

Anyhow, thanks for the Endless Legend advice - to expand a bit, since the factions seem vastly different: I tried out the Wild Walkers and Vaulters (on hearing these two play the most civ-like) and didn't really like either, now I'm eyeballing the giant lizards. Any tips for those?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Wizard Styles posted:

The NPC shadowrunners that form your party are mostly built pretty suboptimally and need buffs to function, which makes Dietrich almost required unless your main character brings good buffs.
Eiger is awesome. Use the sniper perk tree and watch her one-shot enemies over half the map.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

How was anything in Dishonored "extra difficult"? You're basically God in that game just with Blink and Slow time. Everything else is just for extra fun.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Oh, totally. The most fun you've ever head in a stealth game if you enjoy being a cackling rear end in a top hat who abuses guards in unspeakable ways. Speaking of, tips:

- Don't worry about loving up with skills and upgrades. Your character is so overpowered it's impossible not to break the game.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 23, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

juliuspringle posted:

Also Watch_Dogs?
You can get a grenade launcher basically from the start of the game. It trivializes like 90% of the big shootout scenes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Anything for Aarklash: Legacy? I've heard it described as linear Icewind Dale so it's likely to be hard as balls.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Anything for Blackguards? From what I've read it's a game where bad level-up decisions can gently caress you over irretrievably.