Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Holy poo poo. :suspense:. "TELEPATHICALLY LOCATE an enemy and HATE IT TO DEATH with your TERRIFYING BRAIN SORCERY." is my new favourite sentence, goddamn.

Though I couldn't help but hear that all in my head sounding like the Powerthirst narrator.

I ended up with some weird hybrid of that and Borderlands' Torgue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

juliuspringle posted:

Recently started Assassin's Creed III. I have all the dlc if it matters. Is there anything I should be prioritizing?

Play the story missions hard until you get to the naval missions, then enjoy ship-to-ship combat. It's really the best part of the game, hence why they made Black Flag.

A bit of general advice: at least in my experience, ACIII is where the combat difficulty went up a few notches. Be ready to not be an invincible demigod in a fight, as the mooks are a lot less nice and tend to attack more than one or two at a time.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

After the IFF mission you can still roam freely, but you only have a grace period of two missions (one of which you'll need for Legion's affinity mission) before you're considered to have taken Too Long and something bad happens. It's not a fail state, just something you'll really wish you'd been able to stop.

In addition, a visit to the citadel does count as a mission. My Shepard's greatest failure was a need for last minute shopping.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Xander77 posted:

Nah. Signs make for good utility, but they scale very poorly at higher levels. It won't be long before any attempt to win a fight via Igni turns into long drawn out nonsense.

Ah, for the days of TW1, in which you could play a fire-mage.

For a while, I was so bad at Witcher 3 combat that, near the beginning, I had to glitch a boss enemy into a wall and spam Ingi for an hour. Any sort of buff on top of that would have probably shaved off half that. Ugh.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Gynovore posted:

My advice for Dishonored is just chill out and roll with it.

[list][*]Don't worry about high or low chaos, do what feels right.
[*]Don't savescum to get the bone charm you want, they're all pretty weak.

That said, if you're leaning low-chaos hug times, then scumming the Strong Arms charm makes this vastly faster and more versatile.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Zaodai posted:

Most of the time it's better to have bad people on a point than it is to have a dozen good snipers. If you're good at headshotting guys, take one of the semi-auto rifles and head shot them from closer up. It'll still benefit your marksmanship but you'll be useful to your team.

Agreed. In the few games I'm good at sniping, I find that I remain far more effective if I just take a battle rifle or marksman's rifle for midrange strikes.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Previa_fun posted:

I've decided to pick Skyrim back up after losing interest shortly after it came out. Turns out my first character I didn't know what to do with, and he became sort of directionless and useless all around.

Currently I'm playing a sneak/archery based build, which is a lot of fun, but I can already see how it could get a little easy. I have been putting points into one-handed weapons (maces) and destruction magic in case it gets into a melee ranged fight, but that has been happening less and less with better bows, archery buffs, and potions.

Basically how can I improve what I'm doing so far or should I just keep along this path? I started off with the idea of being a badass assassin/archer but it sort of feels like a babby build now. I'm still having fun enjoying the story though.

The Stealth Archer has been almost universally accepted as the inevitable "class" that a Skyrim character becomes. I personally play a sword-and-spell character, but that's largely due to a mod I use that scales magic far better (e: Which happens to be SPERG, again, recommended). You'll likely be well off going down your current path, though you're always free to train up anything else and keep the Sneaky Archer option as backup.

e: gently caress it, I'm not embedding that dumb image about sneaky archers; In addition to some latent racism, it refers to TES as "the Skyrim games," which is unforgivable. If you really want to see it anyway, it's here.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 22, 2016

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

I'd honestly add that as a tip because some of those hiding places are utterly insane.

Better hope you know how to translate hex and also which of the dozens of hex codes actually lead to secrets. Last time I checked, there's maybe two in several dozen hex strings that have any meaning in terms of getting stars.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Kanfy posted:

None of that is necessary to find any stars though? There's one that requires scanning an IR code to get the answer but that's the only one I recall where you need external help like that.

I distinctly recall one where you've got to find some info about an Apollo mission or something like that from a hex code...

Found it. There's one where there is a QR code, which one much scan outside of the game, that says: "THE EAGLE HAS LANDED 31 39 36 39 2f 30 37 2f 32 30 20 32 30 3a 31 38 Now is the time of tranquillity, and I shall rest and observe the Earth.
-- Uriel4" That hex string is 1969/07/20 20:18 in ASCII, and is the date and time of the moon landing. The code you put into the nearby pillar puzzle is the date, 7 and 20.

So yes, it's true that you can reasonably solve it from just the non-hex part, but that translated hex string gives you a more concrete set of numbers to work with. That puzzle still has far more layers than most of the others.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

theshim posted:

kill many orc
the Nemesis system is super super awesome.

Know that some Orcs are... unusually tough.

I don't know how many times I killed that one shithead orc; he was nigh-invincible in combat so I stealth killed him in return, so we ended up trading kills about a dozen times.

It bugged out the first time and game me some random orc, but he ended up being a miniboss before the final boss. That was so incredibly satisfying.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 12, 2016

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anything for Cook Serve Delicious? Normally, I don't do the mix/maxing sort of thing, but for this game, I want to see beyond the first few offerings, but I feel like I'm missing out on something obvious, and just not doing that well. I mean, I'm doing well in terms of gameplay, but holy poo poo, it's taking forever for stuff to unlock. Any essential things to buy right off the bat?

Mobile version, if that changes anything.

It takes 20 days to get each new star level, no matter what you do. Money will stack up enough to get everything you need for the next rank. Prioritize the equipment that unlocks new foods, eases chores, or makes wait times longer, then get food that you enjoy making, preferably those that have a few upgrades (check the maximum star rating).

Dunno about mobile differences, though. I used it to calibrate myself to mechanical keyboards.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Zaodai posted:

And if Extraction is an objective and the timer is still running, not getting out is still a fail, even if every enemy on the map is dead. Unless that has been patched out.

That is still the case. In such missions, the enemy air forces are approaching and your transport can only hang around for so long (and in one spot, possibly due to a hole in the point defense grid or something).

However, if the extraction point gets destroyed (like a rooftop with most grenades), then a secondary pickup point will appear. This can be Very Bad.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something to note is that mission triggers which require getting to a particular tile and interacting with it (pushing a button, hacking a console, etc) do not cost a turn. This includes Extraction (basically any action with a green-coloured icon), so you are quite able to sprint like mad for an objective or the extraction point rather than having to creep over to it with a spare turn in the bank to burn.

See, I tried that yesterday, but for some reason I got no option to hack something on my last turn despite having the rookie standing right on top of the green spot. Maybe it was the last move on the turn or something? Dunno, I'd have to recheck, and that was on Ironman.

drat rookies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I'm going back through some PS2 games and realized I never played Devil May Cry. Combat is... clunky as hell, and it's pretty clear the to-be-Platinum guys did a lot of refining have been making the same system better all the time over the years. Any tips?

e: Holy heck, never mind on the clunkiness; the Stinger has always been there for me and I never knew.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 21, 2017