Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Count Chocula posted:

Skyrim left me cold, with its boring world and meaningless combat system. So I picked up Morrowind because of all the 'bad' things I heard about it.

What are the essential Fallout 1 & 2 mods? I've got the Fallout Collection on disc - is it easier just to buy it again on Steam?

Edit: Yep, the Steam version runs in high-res and already has mods installed. Same with Morrowind. Just set your monitor to its lowest resolution before running the game or you'll get an error message. You can crank it up in-game.

Fallout 1 has high-res patches if you're into that sort of thing. Fallout 2 is where the magic happens: you need a patch to re-enable children unless you have the US version (invisible by default) and then you want Killap's Fallout 2 Restoration Project, which restores a metric poo poo-ton of cut content with no downside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I can't for the life of me get Metal Gear (MSX2) working, am I missing out on anything if I just watch an LP of it and the sequel?

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
thanks guys

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Cactus posted:

Thanks for this its helpful. I didn't have that pause after ability option on so I'll utilise that on my next go around. Gonna stick with rogue though if that's the only way I'll see one.

Why'd you guys remove "Don't Cry For Me" from the game's soundtrack? It was beautiful.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

exquisite tea posted:

There's no shame in cheating yourself into some God Armor or 99999999 credits using the console commands for Mass Effect 1. As someone who has played through it legitimately three or four times now, I can say the combat has not aged well and all the inventory management is a pain. Just cheat into the best weapons so that you can focus on ragdolling dudes and shaking down some space jellyfish for extra credits.
Disagree, I loved the combat in the first, far more than the second. It's just a matter of taste.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

baram. posted:

1 was the best because you could turn your sniper into a mini rocket launcher and your assault rifle into a never ending bullet hose

Also sniping guards from kilometers away is like the hand of god frying ants with a magnifying glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've played Fallout 3 before, but that was near release and the mod scene hadn't had time to really have a go at the game.

What are good, lightweight mods for a replay of the game? Stuff like Fellout (or SkyUI, for Skyrim) are what I'm after; I'm not interested in a total conversion, or whole new areas.

Fallout Wanderer's Edition and the arsenal addon for it, it's about the closest the world gets to at all threatening. DarnUI is my go-to UI mod for making it look less xbox, and Archive Invalidation Invalidated (say that 5 times fast) to get rid of the bullshit GFWL integration. Other optional stuff I recommend is iHUD, Mart's Mutant Mod for a bit of variety in enemies, and one of the mods to hide the karma notifications and slow XP gain (possibly integrated into FWE, I can't remember).