Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

How about Persona 3 Portable? I just started playing it and it's great but weird as hell. I got to the 16th floor of Tartarus and then there was a barrier. Do I just have to progress through the days to unlock the next few floors? What should I be doing with my after-school time? And I haven't a clue about fusing Personas, so far I've just been using the starter plus a few others I picked up through cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Iron Rose posted:

Demon Souls? I've played Dark Souls 1 and 2 but the second is proving surprisingly challenging.
Haven't played it in years, but here's some stuff I remember:

The game doesn't use the same structure as DkS, you have a central hub level (the Nexus) from which you can access the five discrete "levels" of the game, each of which are subdivided into several different sections unlocked by beating bosses. You don't have to play every level in order and in fact you can't progress all the way through the first level until you beat a boss later on in the game.

Definitely use a guide for weapon upgrades, some of the upgrade paths are really esoteric compared to Dark Souls 1 and 2. The blacksmith who can do these upgrades is found at the bottom of a lift in the second world.

While you're in phantom form (equivalent to hollowing in DkS), your max health is cut in half, but you find a ring early on in the first level that increases it to 75%.

Pablo Nergigante fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 11, 2014

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

1redflag posted:

You can also do this on 2-2 I believe (there is a HUGE pit you can drop down), but the jumps are incredibly precise. Note that halfway down is a red phantom who has an amulet that lets you cast miracles and spells (very very handy and the only one in the game that has this trait); although I think world tendency affects whether he appears or not.
He only appears in Pure Black IIRC, otherwise he's a regular NPC.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Any tips for Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep? I just started the Final Mix HD remaster.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

Talk to me about Cuphead and Unexplored?

I just bought Cuphead yesterday, the perk that makes you invincible when you dash is pretty great and I couldn't imagine getting through some of the bosses without it but maybe I just need to git gud

It's a cool game

EDIT: You can equip two weapons, I mostly use the spread shot and swap out the peashooter and lobber depending on the boss

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

I've been super dependent on the auto parry one, but I should be getting a new controller soon so that might help with getting the timing right?

The parry timing is pretty lenient. Did you do any of the mausoleums? They're good for getting the hang of parrying

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Addendum to my previous Cuphead post: Charge Shot is the loving MVP

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

It’s a very gimmicky “gently caress you” fight that I’m sure has a very simple counter but every time I get to it I’m like “gently caress me? gently caress you!” and then never pick it up again

Was it the Yunalesca fight

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dark Souls 2 is weird in that blunt damage is way more effective over the whole game than any other type. Honestly I wouldn't recommend starting with DS2 especially SotFS. The DS1 remaster just got announced and it's coming out in May and I think it's the best one to jump in on

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zaodai posted:

Or if you're looking for a slightly more character-actiony experience and less of a slog through molasses, Nioh.

1. Dark Souls isn't "a slog through molasses"
2. Nioh isn't really comparable since it's a level-based lootgame

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zaodai posted:

I'll keep that in mind the next time I need you to tell me my opinion. That may take some time.

Here's a thread made just for you https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845849

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

2 has its defenders and it’s not a bad game by any means but I definitely think it’s the Least Good

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’m surprised EA hasn’t poo poo out a Mass Effect Trilogy remaster for the current systems. Are they playable on XB1 at least

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lucinice posted:

Anyone got advice for Total War: Shogun 2? I actually asked about that game here a while ago but I ended up putting it off and now I can't find the original post I made :v:

Here's your OP with some replies below https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=683&perpage=40#post478983452

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Only thing I can think of is there's a good ending you get from collecting certain items throughout the game. Besides that yeah, it's pretty straightforward

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I bought the giant Crusader Kings II bundle. What the gently caress do I do in this game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

The biggest thing for me is that you are not playing your current character, you are playing your *future* ruler. The game is essentially a dynasty builder, and making sure that your heir is as strong and secure as possible is very important. It's usually a good idea to raise the kid yourself, and if possible make sure you marry someone with positive genetic traits like Genius. Also bear in mind that your lands will split when you die if you don't have the right inheritance system, so make sure you get that.

E.

Also, treat it like a political game, not a war game. War is fun and all but they are *very* politically and economically expensive, especially if you have to raise vassal levees, and quadruple so if you hire mercenaries. You can go from extremely rich to dead broke with a short war, even if you win it.

Cardiovorax posted:

This is good advice in general. You're playing a dynasty, not any actual individual character that is part of it. Rulers are like equipment: they can be good or bad, but mostly they exist to be used, and eventually they break down. You always have to play with an eye to the future and ideally arrange for backup plans, because things like "your awesomely-groomed heir fell off the horse and broke his neck, oopsie" is a thing that can and will happen, just like it will happen at times that you want your current aged ruler to die early so that he won't instead die during a major war, where the sudden upheaval may mean a devastating defeat.

Mzbundifund posted:

And for goodness sake start your first game somewhere relatively stable. Post-viking Ireland is the usual recommendation. If you choose somewhere like Iberia at the wrong date your first game is going to be a brief exciting experience being caught between the hammer & anvil of a massive tide of jihads from the south and crusades from the northeast. It's not an unwinnable place to start or anything but it's going to be super hard to learn the game with all those complications thrown in.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Western Ireland is really the best start, for sure. No real threats except for the ones you create, and honestly there are some great informative let's plays of that particular character that I would recommend just following along in-game if you are serious about learning the mechanics.

Cool thanks for the tips :) Is there a good resource for just learning what all the drat buttons mean. The UI is nuts

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

History ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Going back to Danganronpa... Should I care that much about who exactly I spend time with during Free Time? It looks like I get skills for leveling up relationships, kinda like S. Links in Persona? Should I try to hang out with specific people or just do what I feel like?