Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Since you mentioned Valkyrie Profile, I'll toss out some spoiler-free tips for Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, I just beat it the other day (didn't get the best ending, but it has a New Game+, and if you don't play it multiple times it's the shortest SRPG ever).

-Do not look at any guides or walkthroughs at least the first time you play.
-As soon as it's available in the shop, get the dash skill for every character, even if you don't think you'll use them. Seriously, this is the most important skill in the game.
-Every sorcerer you get should at least know Heal, Normalize, Invoke Feather, and have their default attack spell be one that hits multiple times.
-Gang up on enemies, it's usually better to only attack once or twice a turn if it means all 4 characters attack at the same time.
-You get the best items at the end of every stage by getting at least double the minimum amount of sin. I wouldn't necessarily say you should reset if you don't get this, but remember it's the goal you're shooting for.
-The most important thing on weapons is getting a special attack, and 3 hits.
-You don't have to use every attack before breaking out the finishing blows. You can consistently use all four finishing blows in an attack (provided everyone has a 3 attack/special attack weapon) by stopping your attack as soon as the attack meter maxes out, using as many finishing blows as you can, then continuing your attack so you can use any remaining finishing blows.
-Once the sin meter maxes out against an enemy, there's no reason to use any more finishing blows, but regular attacks can still make experience crystals drop.
-Siege whenever possible.
-It's not a bad idea to conserve your money, but make sure you always have a decent stock of healing supplies. Using consumable items is mandatory to survive in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I recently started playing Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube, anything I need to know? I'm a few hours into the game (just got a 5th party member), and I have it figured out alright, but I bought it used without a manual. One specific question: I've heard that it's a game worth playing multiple times, does anything carry over between games, or are there just rabid fans who love the game?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
drat, I wish I didn't spend those 50 grade on that EX sphere now (although I'm guessing that won't be that bad in the end). So far, I only glanced at a couple skill FAQs because I had no clue how the skills work, and I'll avoid looking at any other ones. Thanks for the advice!

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Any hints to not completely sucking at Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles? I thought I'd do okay at it since I play a lot of Wii light gun games, but it's kicking my rear end (I was barely able to beat the RE0 section on Easy).

And anything I need to know about the Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker? I just beat the first real dungeon, and I think I have the game down okay, but from glancing at an FAQ there's no way I'm going to bother with a lot of the sidequests, but if there's anything I definitely should do, it'd be good to know.

While I'm at it, I'm a good way into Mario Galaxy, and everything seems self-explanatory, but if there's something I need to know, I might as well ask.

Also Sonic CD if possible, although I'm not really enjoying it that much (definitely not as good as Sonic 2), but I may consider playing it more seeing as everything else on the Sonic Gems Collection is basically garbage.

Yes I buy/play way too many games at the same time (Gamestop has a 3 for 2 sale going on). Umbrella Chronicles is the one that's really kicking my rear end.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

glod posted:

:siren: The most important thing is to learn the Ballad of Gales immediately after getting the bow and arrows. It allows you to teleport to certain points on the Great Sea and cuts down your sea travel time a lot. :siren:

Wind Waker isn't that hard, so if you don't want to do the side quests, it's okay. I would reccomend that you try to find all of the Great Fairies for bomb/arrow/magic upgrades, though. If you do nothing else, look up where to get the Rupee wallet upgrades because you're going to need space for a lot of rupees later on.

There's one part of Wind Waker that everyone gets pissed off at later on, it's basically a fetch quest. Just tough it out, the end of the game is great.

Yeah, I'll do those sidequests, those actually sound okay (and so far the sailing is fun enough that the big fetch quest doesn't sound too bad). I mean the poo poo like collecting photographs and "find these rear end in a top hat kids for 30 rupees". I probably won't bother getting 100% heart containers my first time through this game either, seeing as I never did in either LttP or OoT, and have beaten those without dying (on later playthroughs).

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm getting Metroid Prime Trilogy tomorrow. Is there anything that I really need to know before playing that series (I play on playing them in order), or is it better to just jump in cold?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Baram posted:

What should I know before playing Parasite Eve 1 & 2?

All the Parasite Eve 1 stuff has been covered, but I have a couple additions and dissenting opinions about Parasite Eve 2:

Only use an FAQ if you absolutely don't want to play through it more than once, or if you aren't sure. You get a bonus to your starting points in subsequent playthroughs making it far easier if you just want to blaze through to get more endings. There are several places with secret items and stuff you can do multiple ways that I feel would cheapen a first run of PE2.

Don't buy spells/upgrades immediately, save the points and upgrade spells when you're out of MP after a battle, and heal fully (using the heal spell) first if possible. Whenever you get a new spell it raises and refills your MP. Doing this will really help stretch out healing items.

Also the area of effect attack spells are still good against certain enemies, or to clear out a room quickly if you can spare the MP/items in the late game.

And in my opinion Parasite Eve 2 holds up better than any PS1 survival horror game, except maybe the first Silent Hill.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 14, 2009

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What should I know about Parasite Eve 2's Bounty Mode? I always get my rear end handed to me before the first level is even over.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Any tips for someone just starting out Viewtiful Joe 2?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Blight Runner posted:

Summing up stuff that was mentioned before:
edit, for more content: You'll unlock new modes after you beat the game. If you saved BP and EXP, you can use it in Game+

It's been a while since I've played PE2, but I'm pretty sure the points you get in New Game+ are based on your highest/total score(I don't remember which), not how much you have at the end, so don't worry about spending everything at the end of the game.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Coulis posted:

Thanks for the advices ! It seems like the kind of game to do with a FAQ though...
Is it a difficult game or rather an easy one?

Everyone's probably going to disagree with me, but you should play through without an FAQ first, accept that you will most likely get a bad ending, then play it again after reading up on it.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Anything for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King? I'm like 30 days into it, and it doesn't seem like there's any way to permanently screw myself over, but I figured I'd check this thread first. I don't care about min/maxing type hints, just if there's anything I definitely must or definitely shouldn't do.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
One of my friends wants to get me playing Counterstrike. Should I get the old Counterstrike or Counterstrike Source? I only want to buy one, unless I end up really getting into it.

Beyond that, what do I need to know as someone who's never played before?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Draile posted:

I've just ordered the Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii. I've never played any of the Prime games before. Does anyone have tips for the games in general, or the Wii versions of 1 & 2 in particular?

Once you have the bombs, you can jump in morph ball mode by shaking the remote. I didn't find out about this until I was well into Prime 2.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Phantasy Star 4 is, by a massive amount, the best game in the series on Genesis. You'd probably be fine just playing that, although it contains a ton of references to the older games, so playing the previous 3 would enrich the experience. If you don't mind Let's Play threads, the LPs of 1-3 done by Thuryl are pretty good and would suffice in place of actually playing those, as far as the references are concerned.

If you have a high tolerance for old RPGs, I do suggest playing them in order, but at least get dungeon maps off the Internet, and don't feel too bad about consulting FAQs when necessary.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Here's an MGS3 question I have: do save games from Snake Eater work with Subsistence?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Any tips for Devil May Cry (the first one)? I'm up to the first boss and he's kicking my rear end.

Also, any tips for Drakengard?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty well into Mass Effect 2, but any spoiler-free tips for that would be welcome (avoiding the megathread until I beat it). Specifically, I need to know if it'll mess anything up if I hold off on talking to the Illusive Man and advancing the main plot forward for a while; I have all of the missions to get every party member I'm missing and want to get them all before going forward with the main quests.

edit: Looks like I'm stuck taking the mission anyway.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 27, 2010

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Anything I need to know for Gratuitous Space Battles? Just picked up the game and all of the DLC on Steam (currently at a 75% discount), seems like a decent time-waster so far.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

If I get a character's class up to the prerequisite level to unlock the next class, and then for whatever reason I lose or get rid of that character, does the class stay unlocked?

Yes.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

rivals posted:

Haven't gotten either yet but I want to get either Viewtiful Joe or Viewtiful Joe 2 from Amazon's current sale (only have space to grab one). Which one should I get, and for GC or PS2? I'd prefer PS2 if they are equal so that I can play it on the PS3 (wireless controller) but if the GC one is better that's fine as well.

Get Viewtiful Joe 1 first, the second one is good too, but it's not really a big step up or anything. As far as the system you want it on, the Gamecube version has slightly better load times (not to the extent of something like Killer7 or Soul Calibur 2), but the PS2 version has Dante from Devil May Cry as an unlockable character. Also the game was designed around a Gamecube controller, but once you get the controls down it's not that big a deal.

Also you may want to play the game on the easiest difficulty your first time through. The first level or so is really easy but the VJ games ramp up in difficulty pretty fast, the later bosses are absolutely brutal.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Vander posted:

Don't do this if you want the full ending! You need to beat the game on normal or bitter in order to see it!

This is not true at all. The only thing that effects the ending is whether or not you got every weapon. I'd still recommend playing on normal just because the game basically has no challenge until the last couple bosses otherwise (and even then it's only hard until you figure out how to beat them); I played on easy my first time and still had a great time, so play however you want. Bitter is an enormous pain in the rear end though, don't bother with it until you've played through the game once or twice on normal.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rirse posted:

Need some tips on Alan Wake, Prince of Persia (both Sands of Time and Forgotten Sands), and Age of Empires 3: Complete

Never played Forgotten Sands, but here are some tips for Sands of Time:
-The attacks where you jump over an enemy's head, and the one where you shove off against a wall are the two most important attacks in the game. Pretty soon into the game you'll fight enemies that can defend against one, but you don't fight enemies that defend against both until really late in the game and those are rare. The combat is entirely based around learning which move to spam over and over against which enemies.
-You fight the first boss about an hour or so into the game- don't waste your time attacking the grunts more than you have to because they respawn until the boss is defeated. Just clear away as many as you need then concentrate on the boss. And don't feel bad if you die a few times in this fight, it's literally the second hardest fight in the game (the only harder fight is near the end, and is actually much more straightforward).
-Don't read an FAQ about finding every secret room. The game isn't so hard that you have to 100% (or even get close) your first time, and reading one of these will definitely spoil the game for you.

And don't feel too bad about cheesing the hell out of the fights, the real meat of the game is the platforming, and it does an excellent job introducing the platforming mechanics to the player so no real hints are needed.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I downloaded the King's Bounty collection on Steam during the sale last week, and I don't know where to start with the games (got it because I liked the old King's Bounty and the first couple HOMM games, and it appears to be the same basic formula). Are they three separate games that I play one after the other, or is it like the expansions to something like Civ 4 where you install all of them then just pick the most recent one?

Any tips for a new player would be cool too.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the advice. Started playing KB: The Legend, and as far as I can tell Armored Princess gets new content added by Crossworlds, and there's also a new campaign?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Peenweed posted:

Haven't really touched King's Bounty: The Legend much since I got it during the Black Friday sale but I really want to get into this. I've heard how hard this game can be at times, especially for beginners to this type of game. I already ready up on the wiki (not much), so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I'm still pretty early in the game (maybe 20 hours in, already restarted once); this is a little spoilery, but once you get the chest of rage, talk to the king, then immediately talk to the rock and lizard summons (by clicking them on the menu). You can immediately unlock the rock guy by fighting a really easy battle and the lizard guy by feeding him a bunch of any type of snake (the exact number depends on the quality of snake). The other two are unlocked by finding stuff I haven't gotten to yet. You want to use the Chest of Rage as much as possible since the summons gain levels by being used, and your rage drains when you aren't in battle anyway.

Also I'd recommend playing a mage, unless you want to make the game even harder. And at least try to play on normal difficulty; I've definitely had a lot of challenges in the game but I've never been completely stuck.

I don't think I've said anything that isn't in the wiki, but I felt these were issues that needed to be clarified. My first game (about 10 hours of gameplay, got to the second continent) I played as a warrior, and completely missed how to actually use the Chest of Rage and eventually got my rear end handed to me by everything.

If you boost the hell out of your magic skills, you can really mess up the enemies, sometimes before they can even get a turn.

edit for more stuff it took me hours of gameplay to figure out:
-F5 quicksaves, and the game keeps your last 3 quicksaves.
-Save before any "tournament" or "test" type quests, they generally lock you into a dungeon or throw you into a battle. Some are super easy, and some are intended to be done way later in the game.
-The quests in the main questline are generally easier than everything else around them. The maps are full of poo poo you have to come back to later.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 19, 2010

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fontoyn posted:

I just picked up Shadow Hearts: From the New World

Haven't played these games in years, but here's what I remember:
-Photograph every single enemy type in the game, IIRC you want to get at least two photographs of each for a sidequest
-Try to use any large, out of place items in the environment for free weapons for one character
-Here's the big one: when you save at the save point before the final boss (it's a different shape than every other save point), leave the final dungeon and explore everywhere for an assload of sidequests/ultimate skills and weapons/secret bosses/character backstories (this applies to every Shadow Hearts game). Sidequests in Shadow Hearts games are generally unique battles and full, unique dungeons so they're well worth doing as opposed to games like Final Fantasy 10 where they're bullshit
-Check back in old city areas every dungeon or two for new sidequests
-Especially check back with the guy who lets you fight arena battles (if you're like many goons you will poo poo a brick when you meet him), not only are the rewards worth it, you can photograph enemies from battles where you don't have the photographer character
-You can change the judgement ring to make it easier, but it penalizes you if you do so, so I would recommend leaving those options at default unless you're really good at it (you can make it extra hard for a huge risk/reward payoff). There's an accessory that makes it move slower, but I found that it just made it harder when I used a character that didn't have it, also you only get two accessory slots per character and you'll eventually get an accessory for each one that powers up their unique ability that you'll probably want to use
-I don't think anything is permanently missable, but I went full-OCD with this game. In some sort of bizarre twist, the Shadow Hearts games are JRPGs that are actually fun to 100%. And if I'm wrong there's a New Game+.

Basically, if you played Shadow Hearts: Covenant, everything is more or less in the exact same format. I also recommend playing all 3 games in order (4 if you include Koudelka on PS1, but I never got around to playing it, and it only ties in like one area of Shadow Hearts), but FtNW has a different protagonist and really starts a new story so you won't miss too much besides a chunk of backstory in the game universe. Shadow Hearts 1 has pretty janky graphics and the combat isn't nearly as deep as in 2 & 3, but it's fun enough, not too hard, and only like 20 hours long.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Anything I should know about Yakuza 3?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Reich Joyce posted:

I'm about to start Alpha Protocol on 360 soon and I hear it's somewhat unpolished and perhaps buggy. Could someone maybe explain what the least frustrating classes to use are (things to avoid) and that sort of thing?

Stealth and Pistols are the two crazy broken powerful skills. Leveling up stealth lets you become invisible and leveling up pistols lets you freeze time and shoot up to six times (six headshots with a strong enough pistol will kill pretty much any boss instantly). If you go stealthy, you should know this isn't like Metal Gear where you can actually sneak by all the enemies, it's more like Batman Arkham Asylum where you sneak up on enemies and knock them out.

Never pick "Resume Game" or "Reload Last Checkpoint", always load your saved games from the "Load" option. You can still reload the autosave of your last checkpoint, so it's no big deal. That's the only serious bug in the game (resume game loads the last autosave, even if you manual save afterwards; reload last checkpoint bugs out a bunch of things like enemy detection). The worst bug I've encountered is a cutscene not triggering, but it's happened maybe once a playthrough and only resulted in losing like 2 minutes of gameplay (AP is pretty generous with checkpoints). There are a handful of bugs in stuff like mission objectives that you probably won't even notice your first time through the game.

Also, Recruit is the hardest character class, but when you beat the game with it you unlock the Veteran class for future playthroughs.

Stealth and Pistols are the most powerful skills, but if you play the game on the normal difficulty (or even moreso on easy) it's not so hard that you can't play however you want. I would recommend against putting points into more than one (or two at the absolute most) weapon skills since you can only carry two weapons anyway.

Always put at least 5 levels into stealth and one level into sabotage, no matter how you play. The skills you get at those levels will save a shitload of headaches, trust me.

Respond to people in the dialogue however you want; this isn't a Bioware game where you get screwed over if you don't pick the right responses.

It's generally a good idea to have at least one of your weapons be either a pistol or an assault rifle since SMGs and Shotguns can't hit enemies that are really far away.

Avoid the thread about Alpha Protocol until you've beaten the game at least once.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

flatluigi posted:

Oh, poo poo, you reminded me of something I wanted to ask specifically:

Do any of these games have things that'd be missable for achievements or the like? I'm a big completionist so I'd prefer to know about any pitfalls ahead of time.

There's nothing missable in Bayonetta, you can replay completed levels on any difficulty as many times as you want.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

particle409 posted:

Anything to know for the first Assassin's Creed game? I'm playing on pc with an XBox 360 controller. Is there any point to the travel areas between cities? It just seems like a hassle to show off the horses.

No, fast-travel whenever you get the option (you have to go through the travel areas the first time). Don't bother doing every mission, just find the kinds you like and do the bare minimum to get the assassination missions (the fun part of the game). I wouldn't even recommend bothering with going to more eagle roosts than you need to find your way around (unless you're really hurting for max health). As soon as you unlock the short sword, use that for everything that isn't a one-on-one boss fight.

Just get through the game as fast as possible so you can start Assassin's Creed 2 which is a hundred times better.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 6, 2011

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Brocktoon posted:

Can someone explain the investment system in the PC version of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and whether or not it is worth paying attention to?

I've made gently caress-all money from it, but you get items that you can use for the shop quests at certain milestones. Basically, stop investing in a specific store once you get all 3 items from it, unless you're trying to get a shrunken head, in which case keep investing in whatever store lets you pour the most money into it (usually the bank next to your hideout). It's incredibly slow compared to looting bandits and finding treasure chests, but if you keep plugging away at it while you do sidequests and stuff it'll make the shop quests more manageable.

Once you've done the shop quests (or if you just want to use an FAQ and get everything for them from treasure chests) you can pretty much ignore the investing.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just started playing Ar Tonelico, and the wiki only seems to have information for Ar Tonelico 2. While the system in the game seems almost complex to the point of parody, as far as I can tell the whole game's pretty straightforward. Is there any serious stuff I need to know while playing it?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scalding Coffee posted:

I need help with Insurance Fraud in Saint's Row 2.

I have a ton of trouble with the side missions in Saint's Row 2, except Insurance Fraud which became incredibly easy once I figured it out:
-Restart the mission until the starting zone is within running distance of a freeway or one of the large bridges
-Run onto the bridge, away from the camera; cars will spawn in your direction and once you get far enough onto the road they'll be at freeway speed+freaking out speed
-When a car (or even better bus or truck) hits you, try to keep going straight forward
-When you start to get near the end of the stretch of road you're on, guide yourself to the lane going in the other direction and move the camera 180 degrees so cars keep spawning behind you, repeat until you win or screw up
-If you can manage to clip under the wheels of a truck you get assloads of money and either into adrenaline mode or at least most of the way into it

Once you get the rhythm of this down, it generally allows for a good deal of wiggle room in all but maybe the hardest levels of Insurance Fraud, and even that wasn't too bad once I figured this out.

On a related note, if there are any other side missions in Saint's Row 2 that are easy to cheese through, it would be appreciated. I absolutely love the game, but I'm terrible at it.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zotwoz posted:

Gonna start up Deus Ex: Human Revolution in a little while. What I can do to completely cheese the game as in the original?

The ammo for it is somewhat limited, but putting 2 points into the Typhoon system will let you cheese a lot of hard combat parts.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Anything for Disciples II: Gold? I never played the first game, but I'm familiar with stuff like Heroes of Might & Magic and King's Bounty.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm about to start playing Little Big Planet 2, but first I'm playing through the first game (I liked what I played of it, but got sidetracked back when I first got it), and I just want to know if all of the unlockable stuff carries over into LBP2. Everything I've read seems to indicate that the DLC transfers over, but what about everything else?

Basically, is there any reason to get 100% of the collectable stuff in Little Big Planet, or can I just beat the game and go on to the second?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ChetReckless posted:

Everything carries over, yeah. Stickers, costumes, etc. What I would suggest is just going through a guide or wiki or something and make a list of cool stuff you might want (i.e. the awesome Dinosaur costume) and just go for those. LBP2 is otherwise a much better experience, though its not like LBP is terrible or anything.

This site talks about how to get some of the more popular costumes.

Cool, thanks. Costumes are really what I care about, I'm not super into making levels or anything.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Herobotic posted:

Any tips on Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (the Vita version)? I am mostly new to Disgaea games, and have already checked the wiki.

It's been a while since I've played Disgaea 3, but here's some tips for a new player from what I can remember.

Between New Game+ and reincarnation, it's pretty much impossible to permanently lose anything, other than maybe a couple unique items that you won't see until the post-game anyway, so don't worry about reading FAQs or anything until you've at least beaten the story once. Also, don't worry too much about the item world and class world until you start doing the optional post-game content, unless you really like grinding in those areas.

Feel free to make a lot of units and experiment with them, but you should eventually find 4 or 5 units you like using a lot and concentrate on those. The game is very generous with how many guys you can make. Feel free to use or ignore the storyline characters as you see fit.

Don't worry about getting 100% of everything in the game.

Basically, all of the Disgaea games are about having assloads of content, and ignoring the parts you find boring.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Alouicious posted:

Yo, I ordered Persona 3 Portable off Amazon because I fuckin' loved Persona 4/Arena, and because I feel bad about neglecting my old PSP.

The gently caress should I know about this game in advance?

If you always make sure to get as far as you can in Tartarus before each full moon, you'll basically always be strong enough you won't screw yourself over. And it's a good idea to pick a party/persona combination that lets you use every element and the three different types of physical attacks.

If you got a decent grasp of the combat in Persona 4, and you're getting the PSP version of Persona 3, you should be fine. The biggest difference is that your party members get upgraded personas in the main story, instead of in their social links, so don't worry about prioritizing them.