Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Felter Chesthard posted:

A couple have referenced it but nothing specific, so how about something for Resident Evil 4? I haven't played any of the others in the series.

-You don't have to have played the others in the series to enjoy RE4. They play nothing alike and it's not as strongly connected plot-wise to the other games.
-Pistol /w melee will be your weapons of choice for most of the game. Get good at popping enemies in the head or legs then running close and hitting them when they're stunned. It does loads of damage and is a great way to push a crowd of enemies back.
-When freaky poo poo starts growing out of an enemy's head, a flash grenade is an instant kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Twelve Beers posted:

Just got off school and looking at Neverwinter Nights 2 to burn some time up. I've heard mixed reviews, but I only remember people bitching about the storyline. Look, I don't care about storylines that much in RPGs, I just like the world, dungeons, killing poo poo and upgrading my character through levels, spells and equipment in RPG games. Anything I need to know before getting the Gold edition?
Rogues get shat on in the OC. Traps aren't even remotely threatening, there are spells and items that can handle any locks you'll want opened, and on you'll be fighting a LOT of enemies that are immune to sneak attack, especially around the endgame.

So unless you really, really like the rogue NPC you recruit, there's no real reason to ever play one or bring one along until the 1st expansion, at which point you'll earn a high enough level to get a feat that allows half-damage sneak attacks to enemies that would be otherwise immune.

Also, the magical crafting system doesn't let you make magical bows, so playing an archery-based character probably isn't the greatest of ideas either.

As for the complaints about the story, they're mostly about the first act, where you're sent on all sorts of boring, pointless errands in order to pad out the length of the game a bit.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 25, 2009

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Taerkar posted:

Are you sure about this?

I know you can make stuff like Darkwood bows and the like (Which give mighty bonuses), but you can't enchant them?
I'm fairly certain. Sure, you can get the mighty property by using exotic materials, but you won't be able to make yourself +X or +elemental damage bows or arrows.

Edit: Just found an override that enables it. http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2HakpaksOriginal.Detail&id=214

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 30, 2009

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Losem posted:

Anyone got some advice For Valkyria Chronicles?
Don't worry about leveling evenly, you want level 11 for your scouts and troopers ASAP.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Bat Ham posted:

Not sure if it's been covered or not yet, but anything for Neverwinter Nights 2? Just rolled up a Rogue for my first character and having a rough time even in the early areas.
Roll up a character that isn't a rogue. They get the shaft pretty badly in NWN2. You're better off playing as anything else.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 30, 2009

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

The Blue Pyramid posted:

I started playing Neverwinter Nights after reading through this thread, making a half-elf Ranger and deciding to stick it out and try the default campaign (I have Diamond).

I'm not that far, I've been through the Beggar's Nest but the enemies in the crypt are basically destroying me, so I moved on to the Prison, where I keep getting swarmed by prisoners / killed by the Escaped Sorcerer. Is there some massive tactical thing I'm missing in this game, besides forcing hordes into a bottleneck? I'm level 4, if it matters, is this too low a level to be attempting the prison? Also, besides being pretty cheesy, is there any consequences to using Respawn?

EDIT: Nevermind the Respawn question, I just read the prompt that says I lose XP and gold.

NWN1 scales content to your level, so that's not it. At least part of the problem is that Rangers aren't especially good in D&D3.0, which NWN1 is based on.

Since you're not far in, I'd strongly suggest starting over as another class.

Also, use the Half-Orc companion.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Ranger was really the only class that appealed to me. Back in the days of Baldur's Gate, I always played a Fighter, but to me, now, they seem so generic. Rangers, at least, get some spells and cool abilities. I tried a mage briefly, but the character was exceptionally fragile. Any suggestions for a different class?
Clerics are pretty awesome. Heavy armor, decent ability to smack things around, and tons of spells, so there's more to do than choose targets and auto-attack. You mentioned that you played Baldur's Gate - Cleric spellcasting ability has only improved since then. They've been upgraded to have 9 full levels of spells like mages do.

But if you'd really like to stick with rangers, it's not like it'll make the game unwinnable. What kind of equipment are you using? If you're dual-wielding, make sure you're using a light weapon in your off-hand and not wearing anything heavier than studded leather armor.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 3, 2009

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

McKracken posted:

Demon's Souls
My only major concern is I've heard if someone is enough of a spiteful dick they can enter your game as a black phantom and screw you out of loot from certain enemies or some such similar thing.
Not true. When you're in body form, players within 10 levels of you (at first, the range expands eventually) *can* break into your game to try to murder you, but under most circumstances, the worst they can do is cause you to drop the unspent souls you have on hand and/or bang up your equipment. They can't steal items found on the ground (unless you drop them out of your inventory or fail to pick them up due to encumberance) or kill your non-hostile NPCs. And even if they defeat you, you can recover the souls you dropped as long as you can make it to where you died before dying again.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 16, 2009

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Cranky posted:

I rolled a male soldier Shepard for a ME playthrough before ME 2 comes out and I was planning on using Liara, but should i pick Garrus or Tali? Also i read the wiki about this game and it said to wait to do any sidequests until i get all my characters. How far into the main plot do I have to get before I get all my guys? Any other beginner tips would be appreciated :).
You can get all companions shortly after you get off the Citadel for the first time. It'll tell you what planet Liara is on. If you care about the Ally achievements, don't do any sidequests until you have your preferred party.

As for Garrus vs. Tali, just use the one you like more. ME's easy enough that it won't make a huge difference as long as you have someone that can unlock and decrypt stuff.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 25, 2010

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Stormy the Rabbit posted:

Anyone got any tips for Planescape: Torment? Any "obvious" character builds I should go with, unofficial fan patches etc.
Since Intelligence is one of the most important stats (along with Wisdom & Charisma) for getting the most bang out of the story, I always went Wizard as soon as possible. It's available right after you escape from the Mortuary. Look for Old Mebbeth in one of the houses in Ragpicker's Square.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Palleon posted:

The best female armor drops off the black phantom in 1-1, and the best male armor drops off of the hidden boss in 1-1 you can't get to until you clear most of 1-4.

If I remember correctly, the 1-1 black phantom drops the executioner axe. You need to get pure white world tendancy to get the version of the NPC that drops the armor to appear.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Mobius posted:

Thanks for the thoughts on RE -- sounds like I'll be good starting with 4. Maybe I'll check out the others afterwards. I haven't played a survival horror game since the original Alone in the Dark!

Also note that in RE4, if you stun an enemy by shooting certain parts of their bodies, you can execute special melee follow-up attacks if you get in close quickly.

These melee attacks are powerful, fun, and great for crowd control - if you kick an enemy at the front of a crowd, he'll probably knock a bunch of others over as he goes flying, to give an example.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Capsaicin posted:

Okay...I kinda already know what I'm getting into, but any advice for Demon's Souls?

In the first level after the intro, you might see a knight with glowing red eyes on top of the castle walls. He will destroy you. If you see him, you're going the wrong way.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

7seven7 posted:

Can anyone give me some quick tips about Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood? Is it possible to miss anything? Does the town building mechanic return? Etc etc.

The town building mechanic is back, but it's a little different. As you weaken your enemy's influence in districts of the city, you gain the ability to re-open shops that have been closed and assign faction buildings to be run by thieves, mercenaries, or courtesans. When you open more banks,the maximum amount of gold that can be stored before you have to collect it increases. When you buy more shops of a given type, you unlock more items for sale and/or get a discount when buying them. And when you assign a faction to a building, it puts some hirelings of that faction right outside of it.

You can also buy some major landmarks and repair the aqueducts. Every improvement you make adds to your automatic income.

Combat's also been changed a bit from AC2. Ezio is a shitload more lethal. If you attack most enemies a few times, you'll overpower their defenses and perform an execution move even if they're blocking. When you execute enemies, you can press the directional stick towards another nearby enemy and hit the attack button to perform more instant kills in quick succession, and you can kick heavy weapon and polearm-wielding enemies in the stones to weaken their guard. Enemies will also try to grab you from time to time, but hitting the block button + throw button gets them off you.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 29, 2010

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

Also, try to get enough action points to fire a single shot and reload on the same turn, 6 or 7 should be enough as there is a +1 perk later on.

I've always liked having a full 10 action points. After you get the Bonus Rate of Fire perk, it lets you make two aimed shots or bursts per round.

Also, the .223 pistol is your friend. Find it, love it.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

KingShiro posted:

There are items you can pick up (You only need to pick up one for an achievement/trophy)

And worth noting, if you don't pick them up before the end of sequence 8, you can't get them.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

chitinid posted:

I've been awfully tempted to buy Blood Bowl: LE as of recently. Do a good amount of people play online (goon or not)? Is it easy to pick up? Lastly, is it something I'll actually enjoy playing a few months down the road?

Yes, there are plenty of players online, goon and non. If you prefer to go against goons, it's easy to find a match if you join our BB IRC channel (#tgbloodbowl at irc.synirc.net). We're also more than willing to give new players pointers and critiques as we play as well as advice on starting lineups and what skills to grab as your guys level up.

And if you like the game at all, the teams should be varied enough to hold your interest for quite a while. If you get sick of one playstyle, you can just switch to another team and have to completely rethink your gameplan.

As far as pointers for the actual game go, one of the most important things to remember is to make any moves that don't require dodges before you do anything else in your turn. This includes standing up players that have been knocked down. That way, even if you fail on the first block or dodge you try, you didn't completely waste your turn.

The exception is if you need a free player to wait for you to pull something else off as part of your plan, like if you needed to punch a hole for a receiver to run through, or if you wanted to keep a guy free to grab the ball after you attack your opponent's carrier.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 17, 2011

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Skeezy posted:

So uh, I'm starting up Suikoden 2 and I just want to know if there's anything I should know before hand. Anything important? Anything at all? :unsmith:

If you want the true ending, you'll probably want to find a guide to recruiting all 108 stars.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

If you love power gaming, you can level up to 20 and then promote and level up again from there for maximum stat gains.

To clarify what he means by this - once your characters get to level 10 in their basic class, they can be promoted, which makes them level 1 in their advanced class. But if you continue leveling the basic class (to a max of level 20), when you finally promote you'll have vastly improved stats. However, as far as your EXP gains go, it'll reset to act as if you had promoted at the first opportunity. You see, EXP gains are calculated by your level vs. the strength of your target - let a character hog too many kills and he'll get ahead of the curve, causing him to gain pathetic EXP from attacking and killing enemies. But if you wait until level 20 to promote, it'll act as if you're level 10 again... fighting level 20+ enemies. You'll level extremely rapidly until you catch back up to the curve.

The downside is that the upgraded classes tend to have better stat gains per level and after a while the available weapon upgrades will be only usable by the advanced classes, so things will be a little tougher until you do upgrade.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 10, 2011

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

ArchRanger posted:

Are you certain this part is true? I did a couple different runs of the game when it first came out, and I got the extra reward though I had changed clothes.

The hospital gown is slightly quieter than anything else you might be wearing, but it's not like it's hard to ace Parker's training mission anyway.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

PlasticPaddy posted:

How hard would FF Tactics be for a dullard like myself? I've heard nothing but praise for the game but am a little wary as it looks kinda complex.

FFTactics is pretty complex, yes, but if you can manage to get into it, it's easily my favorite game with FF in the title.

If you play it, just try to remember one thing: At one point, the game will have you go to a place called Riovanes Castle. For the love of God, don't overwrite your only save once you're inside it - make a new one.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Rollersnake posted:

Also, is a Druid just as viable a healer as a Cleric?

Not really. Good/neutral Clerics can "spontaneously cast" healing spells. Which means that they can prepare whatever spells they want and decide to sacrifice a prepared spell to cast a healing spell of the same spell level at any time. If a Druid wants to heal, they've got to prepare a bunch of healing spells. Druids also tend to learn healing spells at later spell levels than Clerics.

On the bright side, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and Druids get access to some really great protective buffs, like barkskin and stoneskin.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 29, 2011

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

FuriousGeorge posted:

I've heard the game is like Fire Emblem where characters can die permanently so if a story character dies are they, like, out of the story?
In addition to what's already been said, story characters don't permanently die (outside of if the story specifically kills them off), they just retreat if they're left seriously injured for three turns or if an enemy walks over them while they're downed.

Now, if you let either of those things happen to a non-story character, say goodbye to it.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Polite Tim posted:

I'll probably do some of them now just because i'm loving Okinawa, but it's good to know nothing gets locked out, i'm still fuming about the sheep in Nier

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of sidequests that can be permanently missed, but they're in Kamurocho.

Just make sure to really explore the town when you get the chance to show a friend around.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 16, 2011

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

thebardyspoon posted:

Got Deadly Premonition and read some of the beginners guide, having a bit of trouble understanding what this means.

•Infinite Magnum: Complete sidequest [11: Snack for Willie] BEFORE [49: Seven Bones].
◦This becomes available in chapter 8. Find all 7 bones marked on your map, then find Willie, who will run off with them. Retrieve the bones from Kaysen's pick-up truck to complete the quest.
◦If you let Willie run off with fewer than 7 bones, this quest can be done repeatedly as long as you have not yet completed sidequest 49.
◦You must have all 7 items required for this sidequest in your inventory before meeting Willie to fully complete it.
◦Completing sidequest [49: Seven Bones] BEFORE doing this quest properly will result in making it impossible to get the gun.

If I want to get the gun what do I have to do? Collect all seven bones and give them to a guy and then I get the gun?
Snack for Willie and Seven Bones use the same quest items, but involve different NPCs. If you get them all and do Snack for Willie first, you'll get the magnum and the quest items back. If you do Seven Bones first, you'll lose the quest items permanently.

Also note that Snack for Willie can be done multiple times, but I'm pretty sure you won't get the infinite magnum until you trigger it when you have the complete set of quest items.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

PrinnySquadron posted:

Any tips and help for Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition? The wiki doesn't have anything.

-Hit 'g' to turn on the grid and show enemy tackle zones. This is especially important for new players.

-Each of your players can either move or throw a block each turn, not both - to do both is called a Blitz. You get one Blitz per turn to use on the player of your choosing. A Blitz must be declared before the player you want to use to Blitz does anything else, so be careful not to move or stand a fallen player up until you're sure you won't be using them to Blitz. Also, as long as you've got movement to spare, the Blitzing player can still move after throwing a block.

-The first action you perform that fails (if you fail an attempt to pick up the ball, botch a pass or handoff, have a player fall over, or get called on a foul) causes you to lose the rest of your turn. So have a general idea of what you want to accomplish each turn and do actions that involve no risk first (like safe moves and standing up players that have been knocked down). That way, even if you screw up the first thing that requires a roll, you haven't completely wasted the turn. From there, do actions in order of risk and importance - low risk and high importance first and so on.

-The exception to the above is if you need to do something to create an opportunity, like if you need to hit a defender to open up a path for your receiver to run through.

-When you have a player selected and hover your mouse over an enemy that the player is eligible to block, the cursor will show how risky that block is - one white die shown means one block die will be rolled, meaning a moderate risk. Two or three white dice means the block is in your favor - two or three block dice will be rolled and you get to choose the result you want. Two or three red dice means it's in your opponent's favor - two or three block dice will be rolled, but THEY get to choose the result. Which means you'll want to avoid throwing that block unless it's your only option in a last-ditch attempt to score or prevent a touchdown. Whether or not a block is in your favor is determined by your player's ST +1 for each valid supporter vs. the opposing player's ST +1 for each of their valid supporters. If both sides are even, it's a one-die-block. If one side is greater, it's a two-die-block chosen by the victor, and if one side is twice as high as the other, it's a three-die-block.

-Don't use single player for anything beyond getting introduced to the rules a bit, as the AI is crap and will teach you bad habits.

-Be careful what you use your apothecary on. Low-level linemen (or whatever the basic unit for the team you're using is called) are expendable. Save it for when your stars and key positionals suffer permanent injuries or death.

-I wouldn't start a team with fewer than 2 rerolls, and it's fine to forego an apothecary for the first game or two to buy another reroll. After all, rerolls double in price after your first game, apothecaries do not. And if you get your key positionals killed or permanently injured in the game or two before you can afford an apothecary, you can just delete and recreate the team. Just the same, you really shouldn't need more than 4 rerolls. Most teams are good with 3.

-If you have fewer than 11 players that are up for play (not dead or missing a game due to injury), at the start of a game you automatically get enough temporary journeymen lineman-type units to make up the difference. These temp units will all have the "loner" attribute (50% chance to waste rerolls used on them), so it's not a good idea rely too much on them as anything but meat for a grinder.

-The skill Block is your best friend - it keeps your character standing on a "Both Down" result both when attacking (negating a turnover) and defending. You'll want it ASAP on drat near everything that doesn't come with it, with the exception of your passers.

-The combination of Block + Dodge is nicknamed "Blodge" is even more potent. Anything with Blodge can be an utter pain in the rear end to knock over unless you've got units with the skill Tackle. Blodge is used to greatest effect on high agility players/teams (and it's a good chunk of what makes the elf teams so good), but it's pretty handy to have a few blodgers on just about every team.

-The edges of the field are dangerous - players can be shoved off the field (often called "crowdsurfing"), and when they are, they get their asses kicked by angry fans - and thier armor won't protect them. Any player that gets crowdsurfed has to skip the roll vs. their armor and goes right into rolling vs. injury. Plus, even if they do avoid injury, they're still gone until the next kickoff. The only drawback is that injuries due to crowdsurfing do not award SPP to the player that shoved another off the field, but an easy removal of an enemy from the field is worth it.

-Big guys (anything that starts with 5 Strength or higher) are hard to use and can end up being liabilities because they all have a few of drawbacks. For one, none of them have access to General skills except on doubles, which means unless you get lucky, they won't have access to Block. Combine that with the fact that they also tend to be loners (50% chance to waste rerolls), it means they can end up causing you a lot of turnovers. Apart from Tomb Guardians and Mummies, they've also all got negative traits that'll sometimes cause them to ignore your orders and stare blankly into space (Beasts of Nurgle, Ogres, and Trolls), stand around snarling (Minotaurs, Snow Trolls, and Rat Ogres), or get rooted into place for the rest of a drive (Tree Men). They CAN be fun to use and a good source of hilarity, but until you know what you're doing, they can cause you more grief than is neccesary.

-Naming theme is KEY.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 22, 2011

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

PrinnySquadron posted:

Awesome, thanks! Do you have any tips for playing Amazons? Their people seem to be around even in stats so I was wondering what how I should be aiming to play them.

It's been a few months since I've played, so I'm starting to get a little rusty on my strategy, but what I do remember is that Amazons are one of the strongest teams when they first start out, but not so much in the long haul.

Their biggest flaw is that they're squishy. As everything starts with dodge, they can be annoying to knock over, but when they do fall, they break more easily than a lot of teams. So you'll want to leave as few players ending a turn standing next to enemy players as you can - that limits how many punches they can throw when it's their turn. It can, however, be handy to leave the occasional linewoman next a heavy hitter to keep them away from where the real action's going to be. You'll want to be especially selective of when you follow up after throwing a block. You don't want to walk into a situation when multiple opponents can just push your players back and forth until they get the knockdown.

Instead, Amazons are good at "screening" - rather than leaving your defending players right next to the opposing team, Amazons will want to use their evasiveness to back off a little and create a net of tackle zones that your opponents can't just run through. It forces your opponents to deal with your defenders more on your terms, and even if they do manage to punch a hole through your line, they'll have to use their Blitz to do so, so they won't be able to hit your ball carrier that turn. Just watch out for Wardancers and the like - they can attempt to just Leap over your defensive screen.

The reason why Amazons fall behind elf teams in the long run is because of their stats. The simple version is that compared to elves, Amazons trade a point of agility on everything for Dodge. Once elves gain a couple levels, they'll have a bunch of blodgers too, and thanks to the extra agility, they'll be better at dodging away from enemies, better at throwing, and better at receiving.

The one advantage that Amazons will always have over elven teams is that Amazon Blitzers have easy access to Strength skills, most notably Guard. Guard lets a player ignore tackle zones for the purpose of assisting blocks, which means it's easier to get advantageous blocks. It goes a long way when you've got a bunch of defenders in your way and you need to break through them.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 22, 2011

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Ddraig posted:

Not hugely. Alpha Protocol doesn't really have a consequence system in the typical manner. Pretty much every eventuality is covered, so if you gently caress up a mission and have to kill everyone there, you will be held accountable to someone, but it won't end your game or have a negative effect that makes the game impossible to complete.

To add to this, pretty much everything is rewarded. Piss off your handlers, and you just get different perks than if they really like you. Take an absurd amount of damage, and you'll eventually get extra damage resistance. Even murdering civilians can sometimes get you a bonus.

Don't worry about it and just play through it however you feel like.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

I bought Neverwinter Nights 2 during the steam sale because I love me some western rpgs. However, I'm the type to get immediately stressed out and overwhelmed when faced with a character creation screen that requires you to choose a race, sub-race, sign, blood-type, whatever. In fact, I felt so overwhelmed that I gave up a few minutes in.

Is there anything I should know that might make character creation a bit more bearable? I'm just worried I'll gimp my character before I even begin and will end up finding out 5 hours down the line.

Some general gameplay tips would be appreciated as well.

You really shouldn't worry about race apart from stat bonuses and penalties. If a class looks like what you want to play, either just pick Human as they're pretty good at everything, or a race/subrace that gives bonuses to stats that are important to the class. Religion doesn't matter in any significant way beyond a bit of flavor text if you choose a god that's important in the expansion.

The only class that I'd strongly recommend you avoid is Rogue, as they're basically neutered by having to fight lots of enemies that are immune to their sneak attacks. There IS a feat that can fix that, but you won't qualify for it until in the expansion. Plus, traps are almost completely non-threatening and late in the first act you can get a magic item that can open all the locked chests you'll find from that point on.

If you want something that's easy to build so you don't have to worry about being gimped, it's pretty hard to gently caress up a Fighter or Barbarian.

Also, if you need it, I wrote up a crash-course for people unfamiliar with the D&D 3.5 ruleset here.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 14, 2012

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

CaptainRat posted:

:psyduck: The dude who picked the wrong cup aged away into dust in seconds, so yeah, agonizing over the choice and choosing the right cup (which he did) did matter.

Re-read his statement. He said that having the NWN 2 trial be settled with the same boss fight either way would be like if the guardian of the grail didn't give a poo poo and the result would be the same no matter which grail was chosen.

It's kind of a bad example, but I can agree with what he was thinking.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 15, 2012

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Gynovore posted:

Look back half a dozen or so pages, someone asked the same thing a few weeks ago.
It's actually right at the beginning of last page, assuming you're set to 40 posts per page.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

It kind of is, with the key difference being that there are no rival gangsters to worry about. You can just sit back and do the strategic parts at your leisure without having to worry about any enemies or anything in the game at all giving you a hard time, there's no risk of failure. The only way to lose is when your heat raises too high, the police start an investigation, and you have a few options of dealing with it. If you have $500 (not hard to do if you're careful) you can just bribe them and the heat level resets to zero. Or if you have certain assets on the map, you can burn those for a one-time "get out of jail free" card type of deal. Or if you have none of them, you play a tactical battle, and if you lose, it's game over.

But that's it really. As long as you remember to keep bribe money on hand, there's no real risk ever. It is fun for a little while, but it's hard to play for long periods of time without getting bored.
Well, you just saved me from blowing 20 bucks on it during the next Steam sale, so thanks for that.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Anything I should know about Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?

You'll probably want at least one ranged ability by the time you reach the final boss. It's beatable without one, but some builds will have a rougher time of it. And by that point, it shouldn't be hard to set aside a point for Throw Lightsaber or something, anyway.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Polite Tim posted:

Just started Suikoden 2. Any advice, particularly with party formations and missables. For reference I just escaped from the main dude's home town with the two mercenaries.
If you want the true ending, you're going to want to look up a full guide to recruiting all 108 stars.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

I love pawns that know how to get a cyclops' helmet off. They let me focus on grabbing the mage pawn to stop the chain-lightning long enough for them to actually do it.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 10, 2013

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

While we're talking about Dragon's Dogma should I worry too much about synergy with my primary Pawn? I'm planning to be stabby/sneaky/shooty, so should my Pawn be a hulking tank of a brute or doesn't it really matter?
If you want to, you really can get away with doing whatever you want from your main pawn and just fill any gaps in your party with other people's pawns.

However, you may want to consider having your pawn be a spellcaster, as sometimes it can be an ordeal to find a caster pawn that comes both with useful spells and inclinations that aren't pants-on-head retarded.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Cliff posted:

You can promote your units at level 20, but if you want to min/max then hold off until they reach level 40 (or just promote whenever, it's not a hard game).
That's Shining Force 2, unless the GBA version changed it up. In Shining Force 1, you can promote at level 10, but if you want to sperg it up and go for maximum stats, you can hold off until level 20. But you can still beat either game easily enough if you promote immediately.

The reasoning behind it is that promoted level 1 treats you the same as far as how much XP you get for killing things no matter how long you put off promoting. But if you put off promoting until later, you end up with higher stats when you do promote.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 23, 2013

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

InK105 posted:

Just got Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition and I loving suck at it. Could use some help. It's like every game against AI I just get annihilated. I can rarely go on the actual offensive since I get lovely as gently caress rolls.

First of all, I hope you haven't spent money on assistant coaches or cheerleaders, as they aren't so great in most circumstances. You generally want to start out with 3 rerolls, though some teams find it hard to afford that, so they have so settle with 2.

If you haven't figured out "assists" yet, basically for every extra guy you have next to one opponent when you throw a punch (or get punched), you get an effective +1 ST. Having an effective ST advantage over what you're punching is crucial, as it lets you roll two die and choose the result. Before throwing punches, you'll almost always want to move an assist in if it'd give you the 2-die-block. Note that a player can't lend an assist if he's next to more than one opponent unless it has the Guard skill, so you'll need to watch out for that. Plus, you can also take advantage and move players next to your opponent's assists to cancel them out. Knowing how assists work is one of the most crucial skills needed to do well in Blood Bowl.

Apart from that, whenever you're throwing important punches, you'll want to do it with a player who has the skill Block or Wrestle whenever possible, as they prevent Both Downs from causing a turnover. Plus, if your player has Block and your opponent doesn't, it's an extra chance for a knockdown. Wrestle is effective in countering enemy players that have Block.

You also want to do your less risky and most important moves earlier in the turn. First your safe moves, then your two-die-punches with Block, then so on. Ideally, you want to set up so that even if your first die roll blows up in your face, you're not caught COMPLETELY with your pants down.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Just once, but capturing them will let you keep their gear.
Note that you still have to have researched the appropriate technology in order to actually use an alien's gun, it just saves you the cash needed to assemble a few yourself. It can still be worth it, just don't get your soldiermans killed in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Centipeed posted:

Are these for the new release, A Realm Reborn?
Yes, they are.