Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

This thread makes me desperately want a wiki site with spoiler free tips for every game. Basically all of the useful info from here, but organized and searchable. I was going to ask for FFT on the PSX, but I saw the first pages provided plenty.

What about FF3/6 on the SNES? I'm sure it was also covered, but impossible to find now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

KOTOR advice? I just started it after finally sucking it up and doing all the messy configuration for widescreen, and I'm liking it so far. However, I have only the vaguest knowledge of Star Wars stuff, and even vaguer knowledge of how D&D stuff works. I have played more mainstream-ed RPGs like the newer Fallouts, Dragon Age, and Oblivion though.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Appreciate the KOTOR advice. Would have gone in the exact opposite order of planets otherwise. It's too bad the story doesn't really change with alignment, New Vegas really spoiled me and I was enjoying how varied my actions/responses are.

Any advice on companions? Should I stick with the same two for a whole playthrough, or will their individual stories/quests still progress if I JUST talk to them while in my base?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

MMAgCh posted:

The "highlight usable items" button: cherish it. Bind it to whatever key is most convenient to you in terms of pressing the everliving hell out of it. Tell your friends about it.

Seriously, you'll want to be using it virtually constantly, because missing items/"interactable" objects sucks and pixel hunts aren't any fun at all.

I'd say the biggest advice to new players is this. It's Tab by default on PC I think, but the second I hit it on accident my mind was blown.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Centipeed posted:

OK! Over the last month or so I've been transferring all of the tips to a NEW wiki.

The old one was running on PMwiki, which I liked because it used flat files.

But I decided to switch to MediaWiki (Which is what Wikipedia runs on).

So what reasons did I have for doing all that work?

1) Category support means that I can add a tag to every article and it'll automatically generate a game list for me.

2) It's prettier.

That's pretty much it.

Anyway, the web address is the same: http://www.beforeiplay.com

Check there before you ask for tips in the thread, since otherwise you're being redundant.

Anyone who had access to the old wiki for editing etc. will no longer have access to the new wiki. Email me again if you want to contribute something.

Thank you! Having such an easy way to look up hints has encouraged me to go back and actually play some of these games I ignored the first time. Badass domain name too, I was sitting around the other day trying to remember it without having to come all the way back to this thread and I guessed it on the third try.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

In the Fallout: New Vegas DLC "Dead Money",.

I don't think you should spoil the reward for the vault. It's kind of a cool discovery...

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I think the Fallout gold is definitely something people should NOT know about. Having to suddenly deal with dropping all your loot for the tempting gold bars is the whole point of the DLC, even if mathematically they are worth less than some super repaired guns. I would be pissed if I read that hint in this thread before playing. Yeah, one or two guns in the DLC are worth more, but you are ruining the experience and the theme for the DLC for the sake of min-maxing

Basically it's good to know and interesting for re-playthroughs but that's like telling a Portal player the most efficient solution to a room before they get a chance to solve it themselves.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Anything for Crysis(I have Warhead too) or Metro 2033?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Thanks for the Crysis advice. I went from crouching in grass shooting to throwing people off cliffs and jumping shotgun first into their face from stealth, much funner.

Hate the weapon limit though. I can throw a guy like 100 feet, why can't I carry another gun?!

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Actually it's tied to that achievement. Sell everything except huge upgrades and don't buy anything until you unlock it.

This is specifically the highest level Spectre gear, maybe lower level stuff unlocks at that plot point, but I don't remember it.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The VII stuff should still be locked too, but once you unlock it once all future characters have access to it ASAP. The X and IX stuff shows up at vendors based on your level, though.

Edit: I type slow, beat me to it

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Honestly, the leveling sucks, you should maybe read a summary of how it works, but if you gently caress up and things get hard you can always just slide the difficulty down. That was my solution.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The best advice I got for Alpha Protocol is to actually choose your reaction to each line of dialogue instead of just playing all suave or all aggressive. Don't let those Bioware instincts make you play boringly.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

osigas posted:

Just got round to playing Fable 3, are there any broken mechanics that I should be aware of like making ridiculous money in the previous games?

Buy every building, leave game on overnight.

For Dead Island horde alcohol and turn them in for molotovs. You get XP, and molotovs! You can also turn in Canned Food, Water, and Champagnefor XP repeatedly.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Played Fable 3 a while ago, playing Fable 2 now. I hear it's actually a good game so I'm excited. Should I mix-max my goodness/evilness like in Mass Effect, or can I just have fun? Also I read already about real estate for money so I know about that, but any other general tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Deus Ex: get the ability to punch through walls. It'll pay itself off.