Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

S-Alpha posted:

I just picked up Yakuza 3, and I looked at what the Wiki has to offer, but I'm wondering, what stat/level unlocks the guard break attacks? Similarly, what stat should I focus on, or should I just keep them more or less even? I'd hate to waste levels.

I always kept them pretty even just because the experience costs get a little nuts towards the high end. It doesn't really matter though, if you do any of the side content at all (and maybe even if you don't) you'll have more than enough experience to max everything out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

S-Alpha posted:

Alrighty, but what's this about guard breaking attacks? I can't find anything about them anywhere, and I'm starting to get to the point where enemies are spending a whole lot of time turtling.

I'd just grab them, if they're the fat dudes though be prepared to mash like crazy. I checked GameFAQs and I think what you're talking about is from Technique level 5 (or whatever it's called? might be Skill, the second attribute). The square -> triangle -> triangle combo was my go-to through pretty much the whole game, it's quick and the last hit is almost never blocked.

Fair warning about the game, there are a couple sidequests that are time-sensitive so if you have a bug up your rear end about completion like yours truly it might be a good idea to look at a guide. You can just do everything in a new game + though

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Morpheus posted:

There aren't really any tips for the game, as it's almost QTEs, but here we go:

- Almost all the battles in the game aren't to kill your opponents - they're to fill up your rage meter or whatever it's called. Once you fill that up, the battle usually ends.

- You aren't required to complete any of the QTEs. All they give you is a better rank. I think a good rank unlocks a secret ending, but the game still ends on a bit of a cliffhanger. Fun!

- Just enjoy the ride. It's a crazy action-filled movie with some minor gameplay elements.

I think this is in the thread somewhere but you need a certain number of S ranks in missions to unlock the game's "real" ending, which is actually just a buildup to the game's epilogue DLC. This isn't too hard and can definitely be pulled off in your initial playthrough if you're good at QTEs, otherwise it might take a little muscle memory.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

TheUkuleleFanboy posted:

A couple of things for Suikoden 3

-The lottery is great and you should buy the max amount of tickets constantly.

-Don't neglect your character's Skills, they help a lot more than just gaining level ups.

-Fire Magic is pretty bad in this game because all the fire AoE spells have friendly fire and by the time you get the spell cast your target will have ran up to your allies so you'll just nuke your team. Lighting Magic is still awesome though (and its AoE spell doesn't even affect your allies!).

-Wind is great early on just for the first level sleep spell, which is really accurate and has a large AoE that doesn't affect your allies.

-When you unlock your castle in Chapter 4 immediately go to the Mountain Path to unlock teleportation from your castle, then go back to the Mountain Path with Viki in your party to get an item that lets you teleport back to your castle. I say this because by this point you'll be sick of traveling across the World Map.

-You have until Chapter 4 to play Thomas' chapters, so if you care about his story do them before then (you don't miss out on anything besides story if you don't do them though).

-Unlike in Suikoden 2, skills, armor and level of the characters participating in large-scale battles actually matter. So keep that in mind.

Does 3 ever really become worth playing? I was a major late-comer to the series, kept hearing good things but only got into it with 5 which I adored. I just found the whole thing (3) super tedious and dated, got a good 20 hours in before quitting in frustration because the plot was too tied up in the Trinity stuff to ever actually move. I want army-building and a cool castle, not melodrama :(

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Gynovore posted:

Just take Repair to 50 and memorize what you need to make Weapon Repair Kits; scrap metal, tape, glue, electronics, and a wrench. Jury Rigging is handy, but IMHO it's not worth taking Repair to 90 _and_ a perk.

Gonna disagree here, with Jury Rigging you can repair any power armor with junk like Metal Armor. It's great from a convenience standpoint and makes money a complete non-issue since every high-end item you find and don't use can be repaired with something useless and sold

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

Finally, some of the skills are unlocked only after certain story missions are completed. At the beginning, focusing on playing missions until you see an ink monster (really hard to miss :D ) which unlocks most - if not all - of the skill trees.

I don't think I ever got far enough to see an ink monster but I was definitely kicking myself for doing a bunch of side content before I got the "move fast as hell while sneaking" upgrade (jungle walk?), that's when you can really start playing jungle predator.

Fun game but it gets a little samey after a while. Also the super racist undertones but let's not go there

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Stelas posted:

It's still pretty bad. You get 49 skill points up to level 20, 68 if you're Lone Wolf. You'll also unlock stuff in the Main Hub that let you trade a talent point for 2 attribute points or 10 skill points - note that this basically makes Talents like Scientist, All Skilled Up, or Bigger and Better completely obsolete.

Generally speaking you'll only be able to muster +2 or +3 to skills, but that can be used to make up the numbers for stuff like Crafting.

There's also a homestead vendor who sells +3 skill point consumables that restock every level, and the only reason to take most skills to 5 is for talents. You'll be fine unless you take a bunch of non-combat skills, and even then the game's difficulty curve peaks at like level 8 so you have room to branch out.

Don't spread yourself too thin but there are some very good spells that only require level 1. Witchcraft has a 50% damage buff, Scoundrel has a self-haste, teleport, and invisibility, Geomancer has a poison-immune spider. There are others, don't be afraid to diversify a bit.

Other D:OS stuff, since I just finished it:

Talents aren't balanced at all. Glass Cannon and Leech have no prerequisites, and Leech has no trade-off. Glass Cannon halves your HP from Constitution but that effect is meaningless by the end since resistances are more important than HP, and Leech makes physical damage meaningless since most hits make you bleed and heal yourself.

Crafting/blacksmithing are useful and can totally break the game economy if you're willing to take the time. I wasn't patient enough. There's a party member in the first town who comes with Scientist (+1 to both)

Take a point in Loremaster on someone. You can find it on necklaces and rings, so you won't need more than the one point for a long time. This just saves you from needing to go back to town to identify. On a similar note, 1 blacksmithing and a repair hammer on all of your characters with physical attacks means you don't have to waste a ton of time repairing.

You can respec both main characters later on, but all their skill books are lost. This isn't a huge deal though because you can craft spell books, but there are some skills that never show up again (mainly the two Man-at-Arms AOEs)

You're going to want sneak on someone, and you'll probably be tempted to have a ranged character to use all the arrows you find. It makes sense to have one character start out as a Ranger for utility but avoid taking too many points in Marksman, then switch over to Scoundrel for much higher damage.

Witchcraft is lousy as a primary because it doesn't get much direct damage until level 16 but it has tons of utility, you'll be happy you put some points in for your Int characters by late game.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

NIV3K posted:

Can someone tell me what I should know before starting Final Fantasy X-2? I just bought the remastered edition for the Vita and wanted to make sure I didn't make any dumb choices once I start the game or missing anything. I would normally just search the thread, but the search function seems to be down and there is no listing for it on the wiki. Any help would be appreciated.

If you think you might want to try for 100% in one playthrough (which isn't even close to worth it) you need to follow a guide from the very start. I missed a fraction of a percent by not talking to someone during the first mission.

Otherwise: just have fun, the game's easy and you pick side missions out of a menu. Some jobs are locked behind them but they aren't needed.

There's one thing you have to do to get the good ending that you might want to look up, which IIRC is just hitting X a bunch during a dream sequence in a field.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
I didn't think getting Tidus' ultimate was all that hard. Lulu's was a huge exercise in tedium though, I gave up on both hers and Kimahri's.

I think the best party once you get to end-game stuff is Rikku/Tidus/Wakka, since they have overdrives that can hit a bunch of times for max damage. Wakka's makes you play blitzball, but getting Jecht shot (search GameFAQs, it's not completely missable but if you don't get it first try you'll have to wait a while) and just passing to Tidus all the time makes that trivial.

Edit: also, make sure Kimahri at least has steal, since you can get him there much earlier than you get the actual thief character. There's also a mountain path area towards the end where he (and only he) can steal some useful items.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

juliuspringle posted:

Guess I'll start another new game then in the hopes I get a couple large backpacks before I head to the church. Is there any reason I shouldn't spend time dicking around the ranger station to build up my cardio before heading to the church?

If you're playing the normal game I wouldn't bother. It's pretty easy on the whole and there are enough timers that you'll have to wait on (building to finish, next mission to appear, etc.) that you'll have plenty of time for it later.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

TerryLennox posted:

Spoiler alert. Doesn't the ranger station get overrun? Where are you going to find food once you harvest all of the tents and cabins?

I dunno, I never had any food issues with just a handful of outposts.

That's probably something worth knowing: make sure you don't completely clear out buildings with a valuable resource type, especially if they're at a good location to protect your base. But keep in mind that you only need to leave one of a resource type (food, medicine, etc.) to convert to an outpost; everything else is wasted.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Are paladins any good/fun?

From what I played with the NPC one, they're neither. Lots of encounter powers but none are that interesting or effective.

One perk of playing Cipher (aside from the class being great) is that you get a lot of unique dialogue options, including some that affect side quest outcomes.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

DONT savescum too bad, its kinda like cheating and it means you end up playing one battle 20 times instead of 20 battles.

DONT play on hardcore unless you're really really down for that, but do limit yourself somewhat.

DO be prepared to have lots of guys die early on (early xcom is known as "the meat grinder").

DO name your units so its funny when they die in bad ways.

DO pay attention to base management, world nation satisfaction with your performance, and especially research.

DO use overwatch in combat a lot and take full advantage of it.

DO NOT be too overly aggressive, move your squads together so soldiers don't get caught alone, but do spread out some to scout around.

DO use cover whenever you can.

DO pay attention to the size of enemy ships. You may feel confident taking down small ships but then a big ship comes along and completely annihilates your dudes.

I could give you more specific tips but honestly its best if you just go in blind and see what happens. You might mess up, but no biggie, you should have a good time and you can always start over.

There's cool mods like Long War but you shouldn't mess with them right away.

One more thing to keep in mind: when an alien sees you go into Overwatch they will almost always stay put and take a shot rather than risk getting hit.

Also, don't hesitate to use explosives to get rookies experience as long as the enemy isn't unique. IIRC one kill is enough to level up a rookie so that they get a class and aren't as useless.

Eldred fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 4, 2015

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

You covered it, but I just wanted to recommend making your main character a Cipher. On top of being one of the most powerful classes having a Cipher PC gives you unique dialog options and even a sidequest outcome that no other class gets.

Also, you can recruit and build NPCs in taverns, so you don't necessarily have to feel constrained to using the named characters. The cleric has a really good character quest, the fighter's is pretty good as well, and the rest were forgettable. Ranger and paladin quests might have been okay but I found the classes pretty weak so I skipped them.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

baram. posted:

i'm chinese-amezon.com

are there any classes in dragon age: inquisition that i'm better off being due to npcs?

No, the classes and specializations are all pretty well represented. I thought the Knight Enchanter (Mage subclass) was fun as hell and the NPC for it was one of the weakest characters.

Don't play a tank IMO. It's boring and the AI tanks well.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You take that back, she was sassy and wonderful. :mad:

Every specialization is represented, so I'd just go for the class of whichever NPC you don't want to use. I took Tempest, personally, because the character with that specialization is completely insufferable.

To each their own, I've just had enough of the haughty mage archetype :)

Was the Tempest Sera? If so, agree completely; she had some of the most monkey cheese writing I've ever seen.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Mzbundifund posted:

Question for Witcher 3?

I've read the stuff on the wiki, and it's very helpful, but I was hoping to get some tips about swording. How does blocking / parrying / riposting work with weak / strong attacks?

I seem to be getting riposted by enemies and I'm not sure what causes it, am I using the wrong attack or something?

Also enemies seem very good at just running away. I close in on an archer, start a fast sword attack, and he's backed out of my range by the time the swing completes. Am I not closing close enough or is it practically mandatory to stagger them with Aard first or something?

I switched to signs pretty early so grain of salt and all that:

I don't believe there's a difference with weak/strong attacks for riposting, but when you just un-timed parry it does drain more stamina. I found that dodging was much more effective since you can use it for both positioning and defense, plus it doesn't just arbitrarily fail against monsters.

No, they just do that if you keep attacking for too long. Try to keep attack strings to 2 hits and you'll never be parried.

What difficulty are you playing on? Usually archers would draw swords when I got close in my playthrough. Definitely do mix it up with signs though, Igni works well on pretty much everything but spectres and, well, anything made out of rock or fire.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Cactus posted:

I'm about to start Pillars of Eternity. For reference, here's what's on the wiki:

Anyone have anything to add?

There should be more in this thread if you use search/Google. I usually tell people to make their main a Cipher since they're powerful and one of the most dynamic classes, and they have tons of unique dialogue. Way more than any other class, and possibly more than all other classes put together. You also get the Cipher NPC last or close to last.

Fighters can soak all the damage in the world and can engage a huge number of targets. You get the fighter NPC very early and you don't need more than one.

Don't break engagement unless absolutely necessary. Your cursor will turn red if you try to move a character who's engaged in melee; breaking it without using an ability to avoid the disengage attack and they'll eat a ton of damage, often enough to be fatal for non-tanks.

You're probably going to want to stick with ranged DPS characters because as mentioned in the quote AOE is an issue, and the overall difficulty level of the game is no joke; you can't afford to just soak damage on characters not built for it.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Cactus posted:

Haha oops then, I already made my main a rogue and so far none of my characters have anything resembling a ranged attack. When I die and restart I'll bear all that in mind. I don't have forums search unfortunately but google took me to this page, so that's helpful.

Any more tips for the new game options for a new player? I made it so that it would pause when noticing an enemy, and when someone loses too much health/gets knocked out etc. I also switched on some of the notification options that were switched off by default, can't remember what exactly, but was going for the least amount of obfuscation possible. It's difficult to judge what might have a severe gameplay effect as opposed to just flavour adjustments when you've never played before, and this is the kind of game that I find gets more difficult to restart the further I get into it. That said I've switched up to normal difficulty and removed my ability to save-scum by putting ironman mode on because I used to ruin fighting fantasy gamebooks as a child by having fingers stuck in pages all the time, and I want whatever happens in my story to happen - no turning back. I'm only a couple of hours in though so restarting now wouldn't be an issue if any of this is a Really Bad Idea.

edit: Iron man mode is a Bad Idea and I'll not be enabling it on my second attempt (traps are a bitch!)

I didn't get to play around much with them since there isn't a rogue NPC but you might be okay with a rogue, I'm assuming they have abilities to break engagement. You can switch pretty freely between melee and range in this, so I'd imagine that ranged rogue could work.

Yeah, the options screen is stupidly daunting. I would turn on the option to pause after an ability is used because your character will just sit there after the ability finishes instead of auto-attacking. I think you can use shift to queue actions, though. The other pause defaults were okay (start combat, character KOed)

Traps are no joke in this. You will probably want a character with close to max in Mechanics for that reason. Mechanics is probably the strongest skill, it comes up occasionally in dialogue and has direct gameplay benefits. Speaking of which, there are items that let you bypass certain skill checks, like a hammer and chisel that break through walls. These are only good for one use, so only use them if none of your other skills work. The game's pretty generous with them though.

The following classes are pretty much required, but both are represented by NPCs you get early:
Fighter: soaks physical damage like crazy. Needs to be protected from magic and disabling effects though.
Cleric/priest (forget which it is in this): Picks allies back up if they drop. Lots of great buffs and even some damage options

Classes you should have, but can probably get by without:
Mage (another early NPC): debuffs are huge, especially anything that turns enemies to your side like confusion.
Cipher (mid-late NPC): only casting class that can use spells per-encounter from the start. Great damage too with Soul Whip. Feels like the dev team's pet class just based on the number of options they have.
Druid (mid-game NPC): tons of spellcasting utility and can do decent direct damage with animal form

These are the bottom of the heap:
Paladin: really short on abilities and can't keep up with fighters at all as tanks.
Hunter: damage doesn't keep up with other DPS classes. pet can soak some hits, but that's all a hunter's really good for.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Cactus posted:

Thanks for this its helpful. I didn't have that pause after ability option on so I'll utilise that on my next go around. Gonna stick with rogue though if that's the only way I'll see one.

Pretty sure you can change your pause options whenever, I know I turned pause after ability after playing a while. It'll be under the Options screens, maybe under Gameplay?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Male Man posted:

Sure, but you run into the same problem putting them on separate pages, and mixing them without comment would be even more confusing. At least demarcating them on the same page would potentially get someone to read both sections.

Blitz can almost always do those checks if he's in your party. It was only the original that had that problem. If any archetype is the official content-haver's choice, it'd be mage: the aura-reading stuff is something you can never substitute.

You only need one point in magic to read auras, though. I put mine in Enchantment, IIRC.

Combat skills felt pretty balanced in the game, but Charisma is hard to substitute since you're the party's speaker. Charisma lets you skip lots of fights, which is good since the experience and inventory system generally gives you zero reward for combat.

Don't try to spread yourself too thin though; I locked myself out of the best guns by doing Charisma + Decking + Rifles.

Glory is probably the strongest NPC, as an FYI. With her adrenal pump on she can run in, get in a swipe or two to break cover and reduce armor, then get back to cover. This will make the flow of combat much faster, since you won't be plinking away at enemies behind cover who get lots of bonus resistance. She also has a big stack of healing supplies that refresh after every mission.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
FO4 chat: it's worth mentioning too that INT gives a bonus to experience gain, so it's not the dump stat you might think. Don't put anything above an 8 when building a character because the game still has stat bobbleheads (+1 to special stat, one for each stat), and you can find a book in your house after the intro that gives +1 to a stat of your choice.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but there's still a ton of potential that requires skills. Things like crafting can really give you options, and things like accuracy make a huge difference regardless of level. The damage scales with level but accuracy doesn't, and you mostly get accuracy from skills and levels, not damage. Plus just being able to hack terminals or pick locks or things like that to get access to more stuff.

Also why wouldn't you want to rush through the early levels in a Bethesda RPG, where your character is totally useless?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Nickoten posted:

I read a lot of stuff on the Final Fantasy X entry about Kihmari, and I think it's missing a very useful thing you can do with Kimahri: spend the first two Level 1 Key Spheres you get on him to take him down Rikku's path to get very early access to Steal and Use (I personally do this right after getting most or all of the stuff on his part of the grid, at the very least grab the Strength and HP stuff). Even after Rikku joins you, the ability to steal and use special items is so useful that I think having two characters with them makes a lot of sense. Plus Rikku has a lot of useful nodes on her part of the grid anyway.

Another spoiler-y reason this is a good idea (does a 10+ year old game still need spoilers?): he has a solo fight where both opponents have valuable items

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Safari Disco Lion posted:

For Bloodborne, is there anything to know in regards to armor? Particularly good sets/pieces, anything that looks good but should be avoided, etc.?

If you want to min/max, check out this page: http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Armor+Optimizer

The worst status effect by a mile is Frenzy, but enemies that deal that type of damage are rare. It's hard to go wrong with either church set. Or just pick the one you think looks the coolest :)

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Edwhirl posted:

You can rush through the graveyard next to firelink for the zweihander and wing spear. If you want to try rushing through the catacombs, you can pick up the eyes past the titanite demon and then get in the coffin to get the gravelord greatsword super early as well.

If sorcery is your thing, kill the hydra in darkroot and then go rescue Dusk. Then reload the area and pick up her gear for her hat (boosts magic damage) and rescue griggs and buy the bellowing dragoncrest ring to boost magic damage by a ton.

A simple bow and poison arrows (undead female merchant) can let you cheese a lot of enemies from a distance if you want little to no danger.

Edit: If you're willing to rely on a little luck, you can also get 10 humanity (to increase drop chance) and kill the black knight in darkroot as well. He has a chance to drop the black knight halberd which is a pretty good weapon that can easily carry you through the entire game. One-time only though, so it relies on luck (or restarting a bunch).

Definitely recommend sorcery, at least in Dark Souls 1 it's way too good in both PvE and PvP. A lot of bosses can't really do anything about getting shot from afar.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

owl_pellet posted:

I'm playing The Witcher 3. I just finished White Orchard and I have a couple of questions:

Is alcohol used to replenish potions and bombs when meditating or just potions?

Can I pretty much get away with selling most junk items rather than breaking them down into crafting components? Breaking items down costs money, so I would rather scavenge what I need if possible.

Can you keep playing after the main quest is over? Normally I am a completionist but I am going to do my best to avoid those tendencies based on multiple sources of advice in an attempt to stave off burnout. My plan is to more or less rush the main quest while doing side quests here and there that sound particularly cool, then go back through old areas and play my fill after the main quest is over. Is that a viable plan?

Yes, alcohol replenishes potions, bombs, and mutagens. You find enough of the super-cheap spirits to never really have to worry about it.

Can't remember about the junk items. I would look up what the witcher crafted gear requires and break down whatever you need to get the components. Otherwise there just isn't a whole lot of use for cash or materials in the game.

Yes, you can keep playing after the game ends. I think some of the NPCs disappear though so the world might feel a little empty.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

Kind of a bad question, because the game has been out for 24 hours, but I expect someone has already dug into the mechanics: In Dark Souls 3, are there any trap stats, like Agility in DS 2?

I don't want to dive into the thread here or look the answer online, because I've come unspoiled to this one, for once.

Luck seems like a trap unless you're doing a pretty specific (and probably PvP) bleed or poison build. Everything else looks solid enough.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Sociopastry posted:

Dragon Age Inquisitions anyone?

There's a storyline mission where you side with either the mages or templars. You can pick the templars without prerequisites but need to meet the mages in (tiny spoiler)Redcliffe before you can side with them, so it's possible to blow past it and side with the templars by default.

On the other hand, it doesn't matter, nothing really matters, pick whatever you feel like. Try not to be a dick to your party members unless you don't care about the companion quests.

Eldred fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 27, 2016

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Count Chocula posted:

They run a Dark Souls/Bloodborne podcast, and those games are impossible without this thread or similar articles.

I disagree, the whole shtick behind Kay Plays (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCu3T-57vLRVEjF8viOEjm9g?playlists) is watching someone figure out Dark Souls completely blind. It takes way more patience than I have, but it's not impossible.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Probottt posted:

Anyone have any tips for King of Dragon Pass? I found the tutorial for the game pretty good but was wondering if there was anything else I needed to know before really getting into the game.

Echoing that you should read the lore before doing any hero quests because the downsides can be pretty bad.

Have a trickster on your clan ring, they are hilarious and sometimes give extra options during events that you wouldn't see otherwise.

The easiest ancestral enemy by far is the ice tribe, there aren't any real downsides to choosing them. I'd pick them at first but make sure to switch it up since there are gameplay impacts.

Seriously, don't gently caress with the ducks. You can raid them safely once and only once.

Whatever you put in at the start of the game (for example, your stance on slavery), make sure you go along with it throughout the game. Your ancestors won't like it if you break from tradition.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Zaodai posted:

When I played through it, I had an issue where decapitations weren't even enough to kill them. They just kept coming back regardless. Sometimes with a little decorative fantasy neck brace thing where their heads were sewn back on.

It was mildly unsatisfying because it cheated me out of my victory. :saddowns::

Half the fun is having the same orc come back though, it's a lot more satisfying than in my game when (ending) your supposed adversary comes back at the end but it was just some mook I killed near the start.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

juliuspringle posted:

I actually gave up on GTA V because it's too much of a hassle to afford anything.

Dunno what platform you're on, but can't you just use Cheat Engine for cash on PC? Haven't played the game so I don't know if Rockstar somehow found a way around that.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

RatHat posted:

Anything for the Witcher 3 DLCs?

Not super far in Blood and Wine, but I've wrapped Heart of Stone.

Heart of Stone: really nothing you need to know, just dive in and have fun. There is a new rune merchant who will require a significant cash investment, so you will want to start saving.

Blood and Wine: Play through the main quests until you're done with the treasure hunt in the garden to unlock a couple new features.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

is the runesmith actually worth it? I have him at level 2 and the only worthwhile rune seems to be the one that turns Whirl into a ridiculous tornado of anime death. Haven't seen any for the armor yet so I'm disinclined to drop 15k on him

Dunno what your build is but the level 3 sign ones were pretty effective, one of them makes enemies killed with Igni explode. I also happened to already have the cash since the only things worth buying are recipes and ingredients, can't speak to whether it's worth grinding for money.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Eldred posted:

Dunno what your build is but the level 3 sign ones were pretty effective, one of them makes enemies killed with Igni explode. I also happened to already have the cash since the only things worth buying are recipes and ingredients, can't speak to whether it's worth grinding for money.

Counterpoint to my own advice: if you plan on playing through Blood and Wine right after Heart of Stone and are using upgradeable Witcher gear (which you should be), hold off on adding runes until you have grandmaster gear. Upgrading runed items removes the rune and glyphs, so you'll need to re-add them. Upgrading non-runed items retains the glyphs.

Also, grandmaster gear is expensive, so you'll likely want to save for it.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Mayor McCheese posted:

Any tips for DmC: Devil May Cry?

Am I crazy or did they change how Stinger works? I thought it was back-forward and not forward-forward. Also I guess there's no healing orbs, either?

I've never been good at these games.

At least in 1-3 it was lock on+forward (once)+attack. Dunno otherwise but I heard the game's easier than its predecessors.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Monk E posted:

Seeing as I recently got them on stream anything I should know before starting through Phantasy Star 2-4

2 will probably feel dated, I tried to play it something like 15 years ago and had a hard time getting into it for that reason.

3 was famously the black sheep of the series and one that I would recommend skipping.

4 is great and holds up well, maybe not Chrono Trigger well but pretty close. There are ability combinations that have additional effects, so definitely play around with each character's unique skills. You can find the combinations online, which will save you some guess and check but will probably hurt the game's challenge.

Money is hard to come by, so be judicious with who gets equipment upgrades. Also keep in mind that characters leave and rejoin the party much more often than you see in modern JRPGs, so don't rely too much on any one party member unless you're okay with some minor spoilers on who stays and who doesn't. At least wait until you encounter a very obvious antagonist before you look that up.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

I like the game, but comparing Jade Empire to a fighting game is just silly. It's two-button combat that empasizes swapping styles rather than button-input style combos.

The most complicated part of the combat system boils down to hitting an enemy with a support style, then quickly switching to an attack style and power attacking before the support effect wears off. It's easily doable with KB+M, so just use what you're most comfortable with.

Agree, I played the game with a touchpad without issue. I believe movement is just WASD and there isn't a ton of camera control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

voltron lion force posted:

Really surprised there is next to nothing on the wiki for Stardew Valley.

I don't think there's much you need to know going in, the game is good about teaching you its systems and there's no time crunch.
  • You might want to look up NPC schedules and what gifts they like/dislike, since finding people can be kind of a pain.

• Once you get access to the Community Center, look up the available bundles and start storing items that will satisfy them.

• Don't forget that you can sell by throwing items in the storage container by the house. Not all items can be dumped there though, some need other vendors. There doesn't seem to be a price difference for where you sell items.

• Quests get posted outside of Pierre's periodically. Don't go out of your way unless the reward is really good, but some of them are very easy to satisfy.

• Some decisions are permanent: you can't move buildings after you've placed them, and once you advance your skills enough (to levels 5 and 10) you choose specialties for them. I'd recommend looking up the effects, since the level 10 skill choices depend on what you chose at level 5.

Eldred fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 28, 2016