Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gynovore posted:

Here's how research works. There are eight fields of research, each with many levels. Each level contains 1-4 techs. When you choose what to research, you choose one tech within that field. When the research is complete, you get that tech, then the next level in that field becomes available to research. You cannot go back and research techs you have passed by, although you can trade or spy for them.

The Klackons are Uncreative. That means that only one tech per level is available, chosen at random. This is bad.

Custom races can choose the Creative ability. This gives you _all_ the techs available at each level. This is very good, although Creative is expensive to buy. Psilons are _not_ Creative as of the latest patch. (patching up is highly recommended, early versions have balance issues and are somewhat crashy).

Good starting races are Psilon (research), Gnolam (money and luck), and Elerian (telepathy, which gives bonuses to diplomacy and spying). Bad races are Klackon (lovely research), Silicoid (no diplomacy) and Bulrathi (ground combat bonuses are almost worthless).

Ooh, thanks. I didn't know that you couldn't go back and research the techs you skipped at all. I think I'll stick with the unpatched psilons for a little while until I figure out what's what.

super late edit that people might not see but I don't want to bump a thread that I had the last post in: I thought of another question - what are the most important traits that I should be looking for in Heroes? I'm guessing that once I fill my hero pool (is it 4 commanders and 4 administrators?) I stop getting offers, so I don't want to waste any picks, but I'm also not sure which skills are great and which suck. Farm and Labor leader seem like nice ones to have, as well as the science one, but what else? Are there any specific heroes I should be excited to find or ones I should avoid? I'm following the master of magic LP thread and there's a chorus of voices lampooning the dwarf, but his flaws might not seem so obvious to a new player, so if there's a MoO version of him, I'd like to know about it.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MrMondayNight posted:

Ah excellent. Thanks very much :)

Moscow also has more of a combat focus, so people recommend that you not do it first and instead get a few levels under your belt, but it honestly isn't really that big a deal.

It also isn't a big deal which order you do the missions in on your first run through the game though, so there's also no reason not to do taipei before trying moscow for the help with the boss fight. Just make sure you check your intel purchases before starting the mission, you have to buy the help first.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I believe that alien alloys are used in construction too, so you might want to hang onto those.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Foxhound posted:

You can keep attacking during slow-motion attacks that aren't scripted finishing moves. For example, if you fire at a monster with your rifle and it shows the monster being hit in slow-motion up close, you can still fire off-screen at any remaining enemies. Overall I'd say those slo-mo effects happen a bit too often.

The slow-mo effects for the ranged attacks are by far the most aggravating because the enemies don't stop attacking you while the camera zooms in and shows an enemy being hit (not necessarily killed, just hit). You don't know what you're shooting at and you don't know what's shooting you, you're just watching a guy recoil for about 5 seconds and you can't skip out of it. To avoid these, don't use manual aim with ranged weapons. It'll happen CONSTANTLY if you do, but so long as you don't use manual aim (hold LT while having a gun out, but don't do it because you'll get the lovely slow-mo effect) it won't happen much, or at all.

Seriously can't believe there isn't an option to turn that off, it can really ruin a fight at times. Not that there's any penalty for dying really, but still...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

bonds0097 posted:

You'll also get the slow-mo effect if you use gun flourishes (hold Y), which often don't kill bad guys either (but are required to level up some weapons).

Also, dying does physically scar your character which may or may not bother you and there is an achievement for not dying during a playthrough so keep that in mind if you care about that sort of thing.

I'm curious about the gun flourishes actually - I almost never, ever used them, but I still managed to get the "kill 500 (i think) enemies with a flourish attack" level up for the bone smasher, and I'm drat sure I didn't do that. Do manual aim attacks count too or something? I used the gun pretty much exclusively and I never held Y, so I don't know how I got that.

As for dying, yeah, I forgot about that achievement. Outside of that though, the scars are mostly (entirely?) invisible under clothing though and they look kind of bad-rear end anyway, I don't think they're a big disincentive. Maybe they affect your attractiveness stat or something but I'm not even sure how that stat influences gameplay. You also lose your progress towards the next guild seal but the gaps between seals are never very large so I never found that to be a very big deal either.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

C-Euro posted:

For Assassin's Creed II I second the notion of pumping all your money into the Villa. At the very least, pump the shops right away so you can get discounts.
Another good thing to know is that counters with the Hidden Blade are one-hit kills. The timing takes a couple tries to get down but once you get it down combat becomes trivial.
Also a suggestion that when you find a landmark with a Glyph on it, find the glyph before you continue. They're not marked on your map and they're a huge pain in the rear end to track down again (not sure if you need all of them to beat the game, I haven't finished it)

They're not required to finish, but they're still worth doing on account of being kinda fun and you're definitely right about them being hard to find a second time. You CAN see landmarks on your map (they're a darker grey than the rest of the buildings) and you can get a list of which landmarks have glyphs on them (somewhere in the start menu, can't remember where exactly), but what you cannot do is see where exactly those landmarks are on your map; not every landmark will have a glyph. To make matters worse, sometimes the game won't tell you that a glyph is on a landmark (or even what the landmark is) when you approach it after the first time.

So unless you have a good memory, are taking notes, and/or have an above-average familiarity with renaissance Italian architecture, it might be a good idea to get the glyphs when you find them if you're interested in getting them all.

Or you could just use an FAQ.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Getting back into Galactic Civilizations 2 after putting it on the shelf, and I remember why I put it there - it's kind of overwhelming!

I read the tips on the wiki page but I still have some questions.

1) What should I be building on planets? I know that different races have different construction trees now, but as a general rule, what kind of things should I be focusing on? The wiki said that too much production is bad because it's expensive, and too much population is bad because it affects morale, so it seems like focusing on morale is the way to go, at least early on. But surely I ought to be building some factories and farms and stuff as well. What about research buildings, or wonders? Is there a rule of thumb to follow? I seem to remember back before the expansions there was a rule of two morale buildings to each farm, but I don't remember if that's right or if it still works.

2) Research. The tech tree's huge and I don't know what I'm doing. For military tech, I know that there are three kinds of weapons and three kinds of defense. I'm guessing I want to pick a weapon and go hog wild with it and hope my enemies don't counter it too much but what about defenses? Should I spread my research out there? What about the non-military techs? What are the areas to focus on there?

3) Ship design. Any rules of thumb here? Modules that are must-haves or must-nots?

I'm sure there are other things I'm confused about too, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Scalding Coffee posted:

Get the Ultimate (all expansions) pack if you don't have it.

Just stick with one factory for each planet that suits it and your long term budget. I sometimes go by a rule of 50 turns of paying upkeep. When you start getting tons of cash and able to expand like crazy, build another factory. It wouldn't be good to build all the production buildings in Civ games from the start.

I always make my race with full morale and stave off part of that annoyance. Just be sure to keep growth at double by keeping taxes small enough and raise it when it is better to make money off them.

Just build where there are bonus squares and compensate around them for each planet. Power game later when you have a hang of it.

Defenses are only good on larger ships and one defense mod protects equally against the other two types of weapons by its square root. Four shields give you the protection of two for the others. 16 gives 4.

Research and stick with one weapon type when someone (a counter to their defense) knows Planetary Invasion (big red flag).

Research what is worthy from the settings. Technology bonuses are added on top of what you already have.

This helps, thanks.

I thought of another question - I know that in the early game it's important to build colony ships and quickly scramble for the good habitable planets, but when do you stop? Do you just stop when they're all taken, or is there a point where you need to stop taking empty planets before you overextend yourself? Is there a rule of thumb for that, or is it just something you get a feel for with experience?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Against my better judgment I picked up Elemental: War of Magic. I was having such fun with Gal Civ 2 and heard the 1.1 patch made Elemental playable so...yeah I dunno. Anyway I have no idea what I'm doing. Any tips (apart from "don't play" which is hilarious)?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mystery at hog island posted:

And also, I couldn't imagine someone who likes Brotherhood not considering AC2 a "good one." If you have the cash for Brotherhood, maybe you could do AC2 and wait for a nice price drop on Brotherhood.

Definitely, AC2 is a fantastic one. Don't just play it to get caught up on the story, play it because it's an awesome game (and is cheaper than brotherhood).

One of my own: I rented Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and I've got about 18,000 experience points saved up because none of the moves jump out at me as being very good (I never use the few ones I have bought). Are there any essential or at least particularly useful ones that I'm missing for some reason?

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 21, 2011

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Barudak posted:

When you upgrade a gun, blank nodes do nothing. Your goal should always be to keep the amount of empty nodes to the absolute minimum.

To add to this, there is no benefit for filling every single node on the gun (meaning all the blank nodes too). Once you get all the powerups you want, stop putting nodes on the gun, there's nothing more to gain.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Novolin posted:

Pump stealth until you get passive awareness, then you can keep using it if you want or not. Being able to see enemies through walls is always useful.

This is handy even if you don't plan to be stealthy. I always spend the 30 AP to get it no matter what I'm doing.

Also don't feel compelled to max the hacking/lockpicking skill - in order to get the highest level you have to specialize in sabotage, and it's really not worthwhile. The first bonus plus an armor mod is enough to deal with anything in the game (though some of the later ones can get tricky, if still manageable)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's worth it to go back after and see every one but it all funnels to the same intro sequence and has at best token influences on the game by people who comment on them. It really however shouldn't affect how you feel your character must be played, it just mixes up the game on replays because the intro of an RPG is always the worst part. If you try and do all the intros that's a good 3+ hours, 5 of those intros being a complete waste of time since you dont use those characters. You shouldnt put that much effort before the game even begins.

I think the dwarf noble has the most interesting origin in terms of how it ties into the main story of the game, but it has disappointingly little influence in terms of making any difference on how things play out. I wanted to be a dwarf king, that crown is badass :(

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think playing as a rogue was the most interesting playthrough I had, because you really had to move around and use your abilities and watch your health to do well. It was also kind of frustrating in certain hard fights because you're a melee fighter but your health and armor sucks so you die a little more easily than the other classes, but it was still fun.

That said, it was also fun to stomp around in big shiny armor and kill things that way. It's just a fun game, just pick a class and build it. Except for archers, they're boring.

I used this character building FAQ when I played, it seemed to work well for me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

al-azad posted:

I think keeping him involves triggering his gift dialog by giving him a pair of leather shoes or something and listening to his entire backstory. My standing wasn't that high but he didn't leave.

I don't think that's necessary to keep him. I'm sure I've had him stay without ever giving him that gift. I think as long as your standing is high enough he'll stay, however you do it.

Not that I've ever found a use for him. Leliana's more handy as a rogue, since you can build her as an archer and just keep her out of harm's way. The other guy comes in too late to make him be anything more than a melee rogue (and the AI isn't very good at those, in my opinion).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

I should also point out that AC2 is a HUGE improvement over AC1. This comes from someone who hated AC1 and found AC2 to fix all the right things. I haven't played Brotherhood yet but the series found the right track.

Echoing that one should just ignore the side mission stuff in AC1. Just play the storyline so you're up to speed for AC2.

It really is astounding how much better AC2 is over the first game. Brotherhood is great too (I really love how they improved the combat system) though I think some of the missions are a step backwards from 2. They seemed to have a lot more missions where you have to either tail someone (who's walking very slowly) or remain undetected, where getting seen fails the mission. Those were the absolute worst types of missions in AC2, but they used them sparingly. I found that there were noticeably more of them in Brotherhood, which was annoying, but overall it's still an excellent game. Definitely worth buying if you liked 2.

So yeah, if you find AC1 boring, wishing it were better, just put it down and play 2.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Started playing Nier - is there a compelling reason to hang onto these raw materials I keep finding, or can I just sell them all at shops and do fine? I can see that they're used in sidequests, but I really don't feel like hunting down every sidequest I can find in the hopes that one of them will use my raw materials, I kinda just want to sell the bastards straight up. If I just sell them, will I do fine with money? Are there any particular ones I should hang onto?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Barudak posted:

Heres the deal, do you have to have 100% even when the game both in context, in rewards, and in lack of achievements tells you its a waste? If so, don't worry about holding on to a thing.

I don't care about 100%, so...I should worry about holding onto things? I'm not sure I have that right.

I also reached the part of the game where you can use items to upgrade your weapons, but I'm doing just fine without doing that so far and also I'm playing on easy mode, so I'm guessing I don't need to worry about that either. I guess I'll just sell everything apart from those items mentioned above that you need for the endings (which I'm guessing I'm probably not going to explore in full either, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there).

Thanks!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Just started playing Imperialism 2 again. There's a lot to keep track of! Any general tips for keeping your industries running and making money? I'm never sure how big of a labor pool I want to have, I don't really have a sense of what's optimal. The tech tree confuses the hell out of me too, I've just been letting the AI handle it. Is that a terrible decision?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

Never use fast travel. The world is a beautiful thing to look at, and lots of crazy poo poo happens.

This is definitely true, and excellent advice. If you fast travel all the time, you miss out on all the random encounters that make the game as awesome as it is (a lot of things make the game awesome, but the random encounters are among them). And, like you said, they did an amazing job creating the game world; it's worth it to ride everywhere just to look at the landscape. Mexico in particular is pretty stellar.

But if you absolutely positively must fast travel, know that you don't have to buy anything to do it, you start the game with the ability to make a campfire in the wilderness and fast travel. The campfire you can buy just improves the camp's ammo-giving abilities (which are well and truly worthless in my opinion; they don't give you anything until you're completely out and even then you don't get much), it really isn't worth the money if you ask me.

And a tip of my own: if you get stuck on the first treasure map, consider just looking at an FAQ. In my opinion (and many other people's opinions though many other other people call me and the other people stupid but screw them they're wrong) the first treasure map is really vague, because you don't quite know how to read them yet, and depending on how you look at it, it points you to the wrong place. The second treasure map is a little tricky too but after that it gets a lot easier and more fun; the trick from then on is more about identifying the landmark than scratching your head over what the map is trying to tell you.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

duckfarts posted:

You must finish Nier at least twice, hang in there.

I beat it once and I started a new game plus, but I think I wanna let it sit for a few days before I really jump back into it. I played it pretty intensely, I want to give myself some time away from it before I start it up again.

Without getting too spoilery, how much of the new game+ differs from the first run through? I got as far as (this will be probably a bit spoilery for people who haven't played Nier yet so don't read it) reading all of Kaine's backstory and getting the achievement for that and starting in on the gameplay before I decided to quit for a while. Can I expect the game to be pretty much the same after that apart from the ending, or will there be a lot of differences?

I guess I just want to know because I'll probably want to play again sooner if I can look forward to more new poo poo before just the very end.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gray Stormy posted:

I snagged Nier last night on the way home from work. Im a couple of hours in and Im enjoying it so for. Anything I should focus on doing/not doing?

Staying out of the LP thread has been priority one. :v:

You can hold the jump button while climbing ladders to climb them a little bit faster. You're still pretty slow, but not as excruciatingly slow as you are trying to climb it the normal way.

And yeah, echoing what everyone else said about beating the game twice and taking your time to watch the extra cut scenes and let the boss battles play out. I just recently beat it twice myself and without spoiling anything, I'll just say that it's worth the time it takes to watch all the new stuff. It um...yeah, it's worth it.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 17, 2011

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Khurath posted:

Just started Fallout: New Vegas, and aside from the tips on the wiki I'm looking for answers to two sort of mundane character management questions.

1. Is there anywhere I can acquire a stable base of operations (a la the Megaton house or Tenpenny apartment in FO3?), and if so where/how do I start the quest line to get it? I need some place to drop all my extra loot.

2. Are there any seemingly mundane items that I should grab whenever I see them in the field? I'm particularly thinking of things like Sugar Bombs, Blood Packs or Pre-War Books in FO3, where they're actually much more valuable than their stated value but you wouldn't know it unless you've already encountered the one person who really wants them. If there are other things I'd like to know about those too.

I don't have an answer to these, but as long as we're talking about New Vegas, I'd like to tack on a question of my own: I'm not exactly just starting the game, I'm a fair bit into it, but I've just started encountering Deathclaws and they're absolutely ruining the game for me because even with the difficulty turned down to very easy, I just can't survive them in any way at all and every main story quest I seem to be trying has me running up against them somehow at this point.

Is there some trick I'm missing? It's seriously demoralizing and making me not want to play the game ever again, they just wreck me without warning and I'm not at all interested in dealing with that. But I still want to see how the game ends, so...yeah.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Brian Fellows posted:

(Fallout New Vegas)

As far as Deathclaws go, you can beat the game without ever seeing one. I don't know what quests you're talking about that run you into them; just don't go too far north of Goodsprings and you should be able to avoid them, at least until you're a very high level. The main quests specifically tell you to go to Novac through Nipton, then to Boulder City, then to the Strip; if you follow that path you'll avoid Deathclaws.

I've run into them twice: once with a quest from the Boomers, where they send me to dredge up a crashed bomber from the bottom of a lake - I'm not sure if it was just bad luck that I ran into them, or if they hang around there. The second was, I believe, a mission from the Great Khans - I'm looking for someone in a quarry north of Goodsprings and it's truly infested with Deathclaws. Maybe there's a way to sneak through it? I don't know, but there's at least 4 or 5 of them attacking me at once as soon as I enter. I tried climbing over the cliffs on the opposite side, but the game doesn't want me to do it because there are invisible walls there that don't let me go any further.

I guess these quests might not be strictly required, but it seems like I want to complete these quest lines for these factions before I carry on with the main story. But Deathclaws are standing in the way of that.

I'll give the Anti material rifle a shot, I guess. Thanks for the tips!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

OneDeadman posted:

You will never encounter deathclaws on the Boomer Quest if you just follow the roads to the location the most you'll encounter are Cazadors.

As far as I know there is no way to actually avoid Deathclaws in the Great Khan mission. There IS a back way by going up one of the hills near the place with Vipers where you get Love and Hate, however it has Deathclaws as well. They're less clustered and numerous though so you could probably kite your way through it.

Also, having two companions really helps.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. As for companions - I found the brotherhood of steel power fist woman (Veronica? Victoria?) but she just completely disappeared somewhere in New Vegas or Freeside. Like, she stopped following me, and I can see her icon on my map, somewhere in Freeside, but no matter where I look, I can't find her. She's just....gone. But she still counts as being a companion for "other companions not wanting to join my crowded team" purposes. And I can't fire her because I can't find her. It kinda sucks because that power fist was handy!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

IIRC, high P/R gives you bonuses to Charm/Intimidate, but you can also spend skillpoints on them normally.

Nah, paragon and renegade score determine the maximum amount of points that you're allowed to invest into charm and intimidate. So at a low renegade score, you'll be capped at 3 points, and at a high renegade score, you'll be able to spend a full ten points on intimidate. You still have to spend the points, but shouting at people and being nice to them determines how many you're allowed to spend.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

OilSlick posted:

2. Is there any point in doing those random "HEY STRANGER DEY JUS MADE OFF WIT MA HORSE YOU GOTTA HALP GETIM BACK!" sidequests other than money? I assume they are random, so I can just skip right past them, right?

I think you get honor, too, don't you? It's been a while I don't really remember. Maybe only if you lasso instead of kill the thief?

I kind of hate those horse stealing missions though. When you bring the horse back the guy takes forever to get back on it, and if you leave before he does, you fail the side mission. I usually just skip them. Get your own drat horse back.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Scientastic posted:

This ruins the game.

Get the inverted takedown first, then the combat upgrades, then batarang upgrades. The armour upgrades are totally pointless: You can go the whole game without taking a single hit.

I never found the inverted takedown to be a terribly useful move, but it's bad-rear end enough that I always get it first and go out of my way to use it, even when there would be better ways to handle the situation.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Really? I use it all the time. Not only because it's bad rear end, but it's a really easy way to take someone out. Especially if you've taken out all but two people: They split up, panicking, and you take out one with an inverted takedown then glide kick the other.

And this.

I guess I just never had much luck with it. You have to wait for a guy to get directly beneath you, then you have to hope nobody's watching when you hit him, because you're vulnerable during the animation (though I suppose this is the case for all takedowns in those sections)...I guess I was just never very good at predicting movements or baiting guys, I found it easier to just hop around and attack more directly.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Just got Two Worlds 2 from gamefly - I haven't even popped it in yet, but with these kinds of games I never have a sense of what's useful and what's worthless in terms of equipment and skills and attributes and such. Is there anything basic I should know about, or is it hard to gently caress yourself in this game?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HoustonWeHaveUhOh posted:

I'm about to start Two Worlds II. I didn't play the first one and I was wondering if there's anything I need to know beforehand. I just got finished with Divinity 2: DKS. Is TW: II anything like that?

I hope someone answers your question because I asked it too :(

I played it a bit last night - I'm trying to make a melee character I suppose. Should I dabble in skills from other branches? Any attribute thresholds I should know about? Better to sell equipment or break it down for parts? Anything in the shops I should be buying? What kind of equipment should I be using or avoiding (heavy armor, slashing vs. blunt weapons, elemental resistances, and so on)? I'm always terrible at these parts of these games, I just like to follow a character build that's known to work and just play the game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Polite Tim posted:

Also in part two get the phoenix spear from Facade, it'll do you nicely for most of the game

That's not untrue, but personally I couldn't stand the spears, they just weren't fun to use (better than two-handed swords, though). I stuck with one-handed swords throughout the game and found combat to be more fun, but this is obviously a matter of personal preference.

The beastbain sword you can buy from the vendor in the starting village is expensive, but well worth it, it's a very good weapon for that early in the game. I recommend getting it ASAP.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Burning Mustache posted:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, your character's gender cannot be changed either, but I guess nobody would really expect this to work anyway :downs:

I dunno, saint's row 2 kind of spoiled me with the amount of gender-bending you could do in that game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Everyone here is going to tell you to get Chaos Theory. And they will be right.

Yep, Chaos Theory is the only correct answer. If you thought the first game didn't age well, you won't like Pandora Tomorrow either, it's pretty much the same in terms of gameplay. Chaos Theory makes a lot of gameplay and graphic improvements while still maintaining the stealth elements that the game started with. Double Agent (the xbox360/PC version anyway) tries to change things a little, make the game a little more fast-paced and action packed while still keeping the core gameplay of Chaos Theory and it just...doesn't really work for some reason. It also has a really stupid plot because they tried to make Sam all gritty and mean instead of charismatic like he'd always been before. You want Chaos Theory.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zedd posted:

- Vanguard has the best risk:reward and satisfaction but all classes are fun.

Yeah, to be honest this is really just a matter of taste. I tried vanguard a few times but couldn't personally get into it. I had more fun with soldier (bullet time & automatic weapons) and infiltrator (cloaking and sniper headshots) than with vanguard (insta-charging and shotgunning).

I mean I can see why that would be fun, it's definitely different, but I dunno, I just didn't really like it. I just want to make sure you don't go into the game thinking that Vanguard is the objectively agreed upon best class in the same way that Chaos Theory is the objectively agreed upon best Splinter Cell game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Luminaflare posted:

Real estate, especially the shops are quite profitable.

I think homes are more profitable, aren't they? I don't remember exactly what the numbers are but I remember doing the math once and deciding that renting homes had a better return. Of course you have to repair them, which sucks.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

OilSlick posted:

Does junk have any other purpose other than to be sold in Dragon Age 2?

If it goes straight into the junk pile, then no, at least not as far as I can tell. Every now and then you'll stumble upon a gift for one of your party members, but I don't think that ever goes in your junk pile, so feel free to sell sell sell.

They really might as well have just given you money honestly

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

closeted republican posted:

I can't help you with Saint's Row, but here's some Dead Space tips:

-Always aim for limbs. Hitting them does far more damage than a body shot.

I think the game might mention this once or twice on its own :)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anything good for Empire: Total War? I finally have a computer that can run it and I'm overwhelmed. I'm mostly looking for campaign map tips, there's...a lot to look at.

What techs should i be focusing on? I know I've heard fire by rank is an important one, so I've been going for that first, but after that?

How do I reliably make money?

What buildings should I be building in my capital cities (region capitals)?

Can I train new agents? I've only just started dicking around, but I don't see any way to train them yet. Does it come with a tech later, or do you get them some other way? I'd love to get more gentlemen to help with research.

What kind of army compositions should I be striving for? My instinct with games in this era is just to build a ton of line infantry because they're easy to use and they look cool, but that can't be right.

What's a good starting nation? Ideally something with not too many starting provinces and no super dangerous neighbors. I tried the UK but having to deal with two theaters from the beginning was a bit overwhelming, I'd like to just stick to Europe if I can. Austria? Prussia? Poland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dongattack posted:

Don't play Shogun 2 if you want to enjoy Empire :P

Why's that? Is it a lot better?

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind. As for building navies, what should I be striving for there? Again, my instinct in games from this era is to just build as many of the biggest ships available as possible, because I'm simple and they look awesome, but is that not a good idea?

As far as parking trade ships on trade nodes, is there a limit to how many a node can take? Or should I always be building trade ships all the time always?