Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

projecthalaxy posted:

Any notable changes from the original in Chrono Trigger DS?

There's also a new ending / boss battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVeXLEvXydQ
Some new gear from the bonus dungeons which I would argue that they break the game a bit more. The game also offers a gallery, music test, item list, and Intro/Outro animations found in the PSX version minus the lag. And there's a monster battle arena where you raise a mini-Nu into other monsters for gear that you can either get early on (like Slasher or some other crazy stuff) and tablets.

It's solid but the game could have still used a hard mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

adamarama posted:

I just started SMT: Devil Survivor on the DS and am finding it very tough, so any advice would be appreciated. I've just gotten the ability to fuse demons. Should I be grinding free battles for money, so I can buy new demons whenever time progresses?

SMT: Devil Survivior

-The game is easier than most of the SMT titles mostly because all monsters are already scanned aside boss Hp/Mana. This also includes weaknesses, and what attacks they are capable of. The game; however, is still a pain in the rear end.

-Money becomes easier to come by so try to purchase demons at the auction with plenty of stars. The cap is 99,999 and at endgame most demons wont run more than ~17,000. If you're low on cash just keep doing the free battles. Don't stress saving money, even early on. Try to buy at least one of each type of demon so you can try different fuse combinations.

-Buying demons isn't as important than fusing. Fusing is required to get the most out of the game. If you fuse demons that you level they will gain slight stat bonuses and you can transfer any skills that were grayed out to your new demon. You can also "reset" the bonuses by canceling the fuse and trying again until you find stats that better fit them.

-The game has many Unique Demons, you can only gain them by fusing. If the game says "Combination Invalid" this only means you haven't unlocked the criteria required to own the demon. You can have as many Unique Demons as the game allows (4 pages worth) but you can only have one of each at a time.

-Grind on Normal Battles then Hard Battles until your party's experience rate begins to drop. The game has a soft cap on experience until you unlock New Game+. When the experience begins to even out then you can attempt the boss battles.

-For your first playthrough I highly recommend you reach around 10 Strength, 17 Agility, and 22 Magic. The stat cap is at 40 and you should aim to max out Magic especially for the last few boss battles. Vitality isn't too important unless you do a Defensive build

-If you want a Str build you will need Pierce (15 Str) and until then you might run into some issues with a few demons and bosses. Later you can pick up Dual Shadow (chance to double attack, 16 Agi), Attack All (16 Str, 17 Agi), Ares Aid (50% chance to crit, 14 Str), Drain Hit (Recover 25% damage, 14 Str/13 Agi), or Life Lift (30% Hp Regen, 15 Vi/14 Agi). As for Command Skills stick with 1 Mana Support ability like Taunt, 1 Attack ability that hits a single targe, and 1 Attack ability that hits multiple targets.

-Vitality Builds are for masochists and you should never do one unless you want Anti-All (16 Ma/15 Vi). It's still not worth it by the time you get it.

-HP/MP Rise/Surge stack.

-Once you hit around level 21 you should be able to unlock Tyrant Jack Frost. He has an ability called Tyranny -- combine this with your primary casters and you'll regenerate mana early on. Later, you'll want to have monsters with Sacrifice and much later you'll want the +10% Mana Regen (Mana Aid, 15 Ma/14 Agi) that you can Skill Crack and Drain which is fantastic (Drain is non-elemental and is calculated by Magic).

-You can Skill Crack any skill regardless if you can use it or not. Towards the end of the game you will only have a few small windows for certain boss-only skills, so keep this in mind when you start seeing things like Barrier, Wall, Anti-All, Hp/Mp Regen (Victory Cry), Magic Yin/Yang, etc . . .

-The game has a poo poo ton of multiple endings. Try to follow events that begin to branch without starting too many new ones. Some events will always happen at the same time so it's impossible to save everyone or impress everyone. Yuzu's ending results in a gimped New Games +, the player doesn't get the added move bonus they would otherwise get.

-Some unique demons require multiply playthroughs to unlock like Lucifer if I recall which requires fusing two unique demons.

-Last boss spoilers: The last boss is the only boss where magic is iffy but by then you should have Pray and Megido (which hits him for ~300), and hopefully a heavy melee hitter (should hit him ~400) and someone with Recarm because you will loving need it. Have someone assist your Main Character with full group heals & Recarms ready and only have your main character attack. The last boss likes to rotate between weaknesses (I've only seen Ice/Wind/Melee) and will smack everyone on the field for 60-300 damage, so take that as you will.

-Yuzu is horrible.

Edit:

-End Game Stuff: New Game + allows you to keep all your demons, your money, auction levels, skills you cracked, removes experience caps so you level freaking fast, adds +1 to your permanent movement, changes the splash screen to reflect which ending you picked, and it shows influence paths which I'm still testing.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 15, 2009

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

What can you guys tell me about Team Fortress Classic? I know TF2 pretty well, but just picked up TFC.

I played this forever ago pre-Steam and the last time I tried it the game had Engineers with teleporters, Soldiers that can zipline and some other weird bullshit. I can only give tips to the game pre-Steam.

-Medics and Scouts can "Conc" Jump with their alt grenades. Essentially you prep your concussion grenade and launch yourself using the grenade's trajectory. Once you get good at you can easily cross 2-fort in a single leap making capping laughably quick. If you plan on playing either one of these it will be a good idea to try some of the Conc jumping maps and develop some double conc skills (triple is a bit overkill).

-Medics can use their Medpacks to spread disease among the other team. The best places to abuse this are near respawn points as most newbies will try to run back in or camp on healthpacks until someone cures them; if you're good you can also tag snipers which can piss them off a bit.

-Try a Heavy with a shotgun, if you can master it they can be a pain in the rear end to deal with.

-Soldier's bunnyhops aren't nearly as good as they are in TF2.

-Engineers that put turrets above doors or anywhere on top of your building can easily be destroyed from within. Have a soldier shot where the turret is sitting from below and the splash damage should deal with it. Also, take this to your advantage when you're an Engineer.

-Spies will appear using only default weapons.

-Pyros aren't that great other than pissing off Snipers or getting in people's way.

-Don't be afraid to use your grenades including Demolition-man time bombs. As you keep playing you'll find the best places to spam these.

There's a ton more tips but if you've played TF2 than you should be alright. As for that class balancing they added -- I gave up there.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

zero democracy posted:

I just picked up Lost Odyssey. Any spoiler free pointers so I don't end up completely loving myself and giving up mid-game? It seems pretty badical so far.

The little silver guys that dance are worth a ton of experience and if you don't feel like grinding or want to breeze through parts of the game you can easily level a good extra 30 levels. The easiest way to kill them early on is by one of Mack's spells called Gamble that deals random damage. You can only get this spell by doing a "side quest" on Disc 2. The quest, if I remember right, is part of the story but you aren't required to finish it. Find all the statues that the quest has you look for and you'll get the spell.

Even if you don't care about leveling on the silver guys (which can be found at Numara Atoll, an island shoreline area) Gamble is a nice spell to have around and is missable.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

projecthalaxy posted:

Quick Phantom Brave question:

Does the story ever get less depressing than:
Girl is hated, shamed, feels plucky about it?
This is seriously bumming me.

I finished it when it first came out (PS2), so its been awhile since I last played it. The story does pick up beyond the premise you mentioned, however it takes a while. I think by the 5th or so chapter the mood lightens up.

Personally I found the story to be the best out of the Nippon Ichi games. I just wish the game mechanics weren't so drat restrictive and grindy.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm having a very bad time with Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP) any suggestions with this one? I also heard that it's more or less of an upgrade from the previous entries but I've never played any of these games and it's kicking my rear end. My main request is if there a good way to improve your character given how there's no exp and all.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

apekillape posted:

Err... you check the thread? It's chock full of this sort of thing.

Really, where? I didn't see Monster Hunter (unless it was in acronym) in the last 61 pages otherwise I'm not sure what you're suggesting.

I did all the training missions, but the game sort of assumes that you know what the hell you are doing. For example capturing a monster in the game has a learning curve that isn't explained very well. There's a lot in this game that they briefly touch on and it's hard to dig my teeth into it without getting killed out right. Like I said I'm terrible at this game.

Thanks for the advice though. I got to the second guild mission and I p. much gave up on the game thereafter. Edit: Er, rather that was poorly written. I don't want to give up on the game but I wasn't sure if the game was meant to be this hard and I was missing something or not. I'll take all the help that I can get.

VVVV Edit 2: Well poo poo I'm stupid! I honestly thought it was another one of those under the radar games that don't typically get their own thread. :doh: My apologies.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 5, 2009

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Any advice for Front Mission 5? I just picked it up with the translation patch. I remember in FM3 how overpowered some of the weapons became and how underwhelming others were (looking at you, Flamethrower).

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Infinity Gaia posted:

Front Mission 5

Thanks for this! I literally just started and it feels more like FM3 (my favorite Front Mission) than FM4. Aside being OCD about talking to everyone, my only complaint so far is how often skills activate in combat; for example Barrage (shotgun/assault skill) procs maybe once every 2 combat scenarios. I hope that changes because one of the things I love about this series is the bullshit weapon procs just chain murdering fresh wanzers.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
More Dead Space 2 stuff:

There's a handful of quicktime events. I found that most of them are early in the game.

Don't bother with O2 upgrades for your suit.

Midway into the game you can repurchase spent nodes on gear you used them on for 5,000 credits. So don't feel obligated to sit on them if you like one of the early guns.

It's generally better to grab ammo capacity on any of the guns whenever possible.

Ammo is more likely to drop for weapons that are currently in your personal inventory.

You're going to want a point blank type weapon and a long ranged weapon on you at all times.

If you're on the PC version, all the DLC is free and ready to use at the first shop.

Play around with the different guns as you get them. Some of the shittier ones from the first game have been upgraded, so there's a semblance in balance. Pick something you like using.

Like the first one curb stomp enemies after they are "dead" for extra items. Sometimes the bodies will despawn when you're not facing them, so it might be worth it to shoot the bodies if you know you'll be looking away as they are likely to drop ammo.

Be careful where you shoot, sometimes the game likes to add glass walls that will suck you out into space.

Later in the game there is a certain small enemy where if you kill them with a head shot, you can toss their corpses that explode on impact. This will save you ammo and can clear out a few necrodudes if you're in a pinch. You'll know when you'll see them.

The laser grids that act as security can be deactived by tossing something into the lasers.

If you're really jumpy when it comes to bodies or you're just not sure, you can test the body with your telekinesis.

There is a new game+, a harder difficulty, and an ultra (hilarious) weapon if you beat the game on that difficulty (bugged on the PC version).

Hope this helps.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't see this on the Wiki, any tips for Enslaved: Odyssey to the West?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Awesome, thanks!

Edit: I just finished the second chapter which unlocked where I can spend skill points, so this is perfect timing.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Tactics Ogre PSP

Fungah! posted:

When you get a chance, get a Lobber, stick it on your cleric, and give her the highest level of Field Alchemy you've got. Voila, you've now at least doubled your healing effectiveness.

If you're a really cool cat you wont even need a cleric. A rogue lobber with blowdart guns (the ones with status effect procs) can replace your healer(s) later in the game. :c00l:

Skills rank up all the way to 9. Some of them are virtually impossible to max out (screw stealing) while others will level up extremely fast. Don't worry too much about maxing out things that aren't related to your weapons as the differences are hardly noticeable.

Your archers will take out humanoids easily, but they will have issues with some of the bigger monster types. Canopus will become your TG Cid, take care of him.

Charm is broken, abuse it.

If you're going to cast offensive spells, learn which ones are direct damage and line of sight damage. While for the most part non-status effect offensive spells are lackluster, they work well against things like Golems and Dragons.

Pretty much everything Sentient Toaster has said. It's been awhile since I played it, and there's a few things I'm missing like one of the starter +1 shields having anti-Silence that you can toss on your casters.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The best tip for Magicka is to play it with your friends. . . who will soon become people you will hate.

One of the toughest things about the game is getting the hang of the control scheme unless you're fantastic at multitasking or some sort of savant. By the time you're at the final chapters you'll be tossing around spells that have 8+ strings attached to them. The game does a good job with how it progresses you into the bigger spells if you choose to use them.

Memorize the Revive spell (once you unlock it). Chances are it will become second-nature to knock it out regardless if you want to learn it or not.

Play with the spell combinations. For example freezing things and tossing a boulder at them does massive damage. A good chunk of the game's entertainment comes from trying out different spells, attaching spells to your melee attacks, mixing spell combinations & the reactions they cause.

It's easy to loose gear in the game permanently. Just be careful around water, giant holes, or other hazards. Chances are they will kill you and swallow your gear if you're unlucky.

Seriously, you will hate your friends. Why are they so awful, what the hell are they doi- god dammit, now heal me you rear end in a top hat. NO, GOD DAMMIT

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Cliff posted:

Any tips for Megaman Legends 2?

Start with an S Rank License if you can. Don't bother trying to get an S Rank license in the license trial. Beat the game first or transfer over a completed save file to start a new game with the license. The license makes the game a bit harder but I find it to be balanced by midgame. The license increases how much zenny is dropped and opens up a bonus dungeon that has special parts in it for Megaman.

If you played the first one you should have a good idea as to how you want to mold your buster upgrades. Energy effects how many shots can be on the screen, Attack also influences how big your shots are; mix and match depending on the situation or just stick with something you like.

Max out your homing missile's energy and you can breeze through most of the game (or just don't max out energy if you find the game too easy already). The moment you unlock it, be sure to rank it up quite a bit as there will be a story boss battle that can be abused with it. Many people have trouble with this fight, too.

You will need to backtrack with the drill arm for missing weapon parts and upgrades. You'll notice these walls as you're making your way through a dig -- just keep note of where you bumped into them and drill through them. The drill arm is also good for certain enemies. You can get some easy zenny to help with your homing missile upgrades if you head to the first room of the underwater dungeon (this opens about the time you get the homing missiles, which is perfect timing) and just kill/respawn the enemies in that room. The drill is great for this.

When you're taking back the fort in the main story line, you can exit and save outside between each sequence. Take advantage of this if you need to.

Don't be afraid to use a guide for the quiz minigame. The first three prizes can be given to the girl you find during the fortress sequence (these are fluff). If you complete the final quiz you will receive a weapon part that makes one of the best weapons. Alternatively you can just buy this part for 2mil zenny.

Edited for clarification.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 30, 2011

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

FuriousGeorge posted:

I'm about to start playing Valkyria Chronicles. Anything of critical importance I should know going in?

I've heard the game is like Fire Emblem where characters can die permanently so if a story character dies are they, like, out of the story?

Also, how is the English voice acting?

Buffs can make a huge difference in this game. You'll receive them as Attack Orders that you use before you start a round. It will get to the point where you can have a one man army if you know what you're doing -- this includes running behind tanks like a retarded man and destroying them as a Scout.

You gain S ranks by completing objectives as quickly as possible. In some maps they will want you to do it within one round. Don't stress too much on having to do it on your first run as you can retry missions and skirmishes.

It's typically best to pair people that like one another as they are more likely to assist each other in combat.

You will most likely need a recruitment guide for certain characters. Some will only join your ranks if you let certain units fall in particular maps.

Edit: For some reason I figured there wasn't a page for this game on the wiki. You can ignore this.
My favorite hint: "For some reason, the evil lady has large breasts. No one really knows why."

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 1, 2011

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

deepshock posted:

The Witcher. Let's have a go at it.

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=The_Witcher_1

The wiki should just be linked in the title now.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Soul Glo posted:

Cool, thanks. I may try out 9 first since it's the most recent, or is there a more accessible one available since I have no experience?

I find unlocking some of the classes in DQ9 to be a complete pain in the rear end. Just a warning that there will be some frustration once you start doing that unless you're as patient as a saint.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just started playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI.

What should I be doing with my cities in terms of building development? What's a good strategy or rule of thumbs in terms of recruiting officers? Are there abilities in battles that I should be focusing on or ignoring?

The game seems to have a lot going on with it in terms of options, I'm getting overwhelmed a bit.

I'm kind of curious about this one, too. I would like to hear how other people approached ROTK-XI. You'll have to forgive me as it's been awhile since I played this one and 90% of my ROTK gaming has been from ROTK-VII and I tend to get that game's skills confused.

-Completing the tutorial will unlock more officers.

-When you're recruiting, the quickest way is to send an officer to different provinces around your nation. Use the "search" option and this will reveal recruitable officers. The game is very good about tossing them around, especially early on, and they will move around the map after x amount of time.

-Alternatively you can recruit officers by hiring them from another Liege. It's best to build a relationship with them first and then you should spread rumors in order to lower their loyalty -- only do this when the officers are marching or not in the city. It's not an easy thing to do most of the time, though.

-For your techniques, research +Command early on to get Veteran Troops. Only pick one troop mastery early on and only if you have a lot of those types of troops (+Spear/+Pikes/+Bows), don't spread it out. +Calvary is so-so and doesn't improve on your units as much as the others -- it's not horrible but it's not a must have. +Defense is also good once you're further in the game (grants more base hp). +Engineering for Catapults, too.

-Focus on Markets when you first start a game until you reach around 15-20k gold. You will want to just keep everything in check and make sure nothing drops steadily (like Order).

-A rule of thumb is to balance your troop numbers more than anything when you're having some downtime. Keep them fed and buy food when necessary. The game is notorious for attacking bases with low populations at the worse possible times. Also stacking a lot of units near a neutral force could entice them into battle -- be careful when you do this early on.

-When you conquer a city always stock it as fast as you can unless you know it will be compromised.

-Let the AI handle your inner districts while you focus on your borders. Use the District menu to do this.

-Abuse Ceasefires when you need them and always have alliances.

-Know what units are strong versus other units in combat. If you're being attacked flank them with the appropriate unit type. Also abuse forests when available for cover from archers.

-More combat skills unlock once you beat the game. Chain->Raid->Exterminate is good overall. Confuse is also fantastic when you can use it.

-In a Duel if you have a ton of War just use Attack, it will almost always win just by bashing on someone. Alternatively use Spirit if you're a lot weaker.

-Debates are pretty random. Calm and Rage activate on their own if I'm remembering this right.

Edited for grammarrr

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 22, 2011

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Palleon posted:

Other than "don't play it", does anyone have any advice for Record of Agarest War (the one for download on PSN, not Zero)? It looks like, if you get past the creepiness of it, it could be an interesting game, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Oh boy, this game. I would suggest you use this site to learn weapon/spell combos: http://agarest.wikia.com/wiki/Combination_Attacks

I would list them but there's far too many.

Also when you're crafting something there's a chance for "failure" and the result could be a better item. Once you're crafting the first set of swords make like 10 and save scum until you get something nice (it's random for the most part, and you can get some fantastic gear). You can keep doing this. This will make the game a little bit more tolerable early on.

Finally download the free stuff from PSN. All of it.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

This is all great, thanks!

One thing I'm kind of curious about though; how many officers should I be aiming for per city? Obviously the more officers you have the better, since you can assign more tasks per turn, but there must be a point of diminishing returns, where there are fewer officers to draw from, or where you start to run out of AP. Is there a rule of thumb for that, where I should stop recruiting and start working?

For your borders you'll want more officers than your inner provinces; I try to keep around 6-8 bare minimum per border city (twice that if you're at war); as for non-bordered cities, 4 officers will keep them functioning just fine if you let your prefect's AI delegate them. Be careful not to have too many officers in one place either unless you're just starting the game. It's not that much of a big deal but they are better used doing other things within your nation.

Honestly you'll either have too many cities by the time you get the war machine going and not enough officers, or you'll find that once you conquer many of the nations you'll have your hands full of officers. It can go either way. You can never have too many officers, though. The game has hundreds of them regardless of which campaign you pick (in early ROTK games they wouldn't bother adding many officers beyond a certain age group so if you picked the final scenario, a few years into it you would start seeing every dying of old age -- it was entertaining and weird to see an empty map).

90% of the time after you seized a city the losing officers will turn down your recruitment offers and if you choose to let them go they will all end up scattered throughout the map. What makes it especially annoying is when you only have a few nations left to siege and you end up looking at their officer roster that is pages long. The easiest way is to just kill anyone who doesn't join you, but you wont get a good ending this way.

As for AP I'll have to boot the game up. I forget if it's retroactively based on performance/size of nation/other variable or just static. I do remember always running out of it towards midgame.

Hope this helps a little.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 23, 2011

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

darwinnerd posted:

I read about 40 pages worth of this thread over a couple days before I gave up. I also searched the forums(and paid for that function simply for this) but I could not find anything on Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

All I could find when I searched the entire forums was an argument about whether it was good or not and that people that didn't like it only said so because of the battle rules. I don't really care what people thought of it. Just looking for tips! Thanks.

I'm actually kind of surprised, the Final Fantasy thread typically breaks down the games and sperges on things that we can abuse in between taking a poo poo on the series or talking about our feelings. Honestly I hated FFTA mostly because of how it was nothing like its predecessor.

Rule of thumb is to check out the website (http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Main_Page) then ask if you don't see it. Reading every page is a bit overkill in a thread like this. The A2 wiki mentions a few broken things about the first one that was changed in the sequel.

The only thing I remember from FFTA was learning the thief skills early so that you can steal some of the better gear way before they would normally become available.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Palleon posted:

Since there doesn't appear to be a thread for it, and someone was able to help me out before, I have another question about Record of Agarest War. I noticed that I was able to teleport around the map, avoiding the red battles and jumping straight to events, or taking alternate routes to avoid the battles. Is there any consequence for doing so, other than missed exp and item drops? It doesn't seem like an issue to me, but I want to make sure I'm not going to miss anything before I do it too often.

If I remember right it's the only way to unlock the creepy stuff by spending like 100+ turns per map (which is a poo poo-ton of battles). It's actually a nice buffer so you don't accidentally stumble upon creepytown, that is, unless you were actively hunting that stuff down which would take hours. Most people will be done with a map in about 30ish turns. Other than these kind of events, you wont be missing anything you haven't listed.

As much as I enjoyed the combo system and the crazy attacks, I don't think I'll be touching the sequel.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Nick Buntline posted:

IIRC, Record of Agarest War is the one where the premium edition bonus was a hug pillow.

so, you know.

I wasn't aware of this until I saw the Limited Edition bundle just now. It comes with a "Yearning Ellis pillowcase" and a "Sensual 3D Vira-Lorr mouse pad." Creepytown (NWS)

If you're curious, Anatharon, I was referring to the spa/bathhouse scenes in the game.

Edit: Oh god, the SA plugin just pops these image links out. :cry:

Edit2: Fixed for the Last Read plugin.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 10, 2011

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You haven't viewed the forums until you viewed them with your wrist in Sensual 3D.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to reiterate a few tips for Suikoden 1. I played it recently so there's a few things still fresh in my mind. This is if you're not going to use a guide:

-The Prosperity Rune is fantastic; always keep it on once you can get it. The Fortune Rune is kind of crappy.

-Flick and Vincent will not always be in your party but they are powerhouses throughout the game.

-When the plot sends you to Soniere Prison for an antidote only use store bought runes for this event.

-When you start recruiting the game's triggers involve around coming back later in the game at a higher level, or with an upgraded castle; coming back with the right people on your team; completing mini-games; giving crystals/runes/items to people that mention them; re-visit borders/small towns at later parts of the game, and re-enter endgame dungeons (including boss chambers)

-Four bullshit recruitables require you to eat some stew in an empty house, get a Nameless Urn that drops from enemies (location: Holly Fairies on the world map sometimes drop them), another will show up at an inn at Rikon randomly, and finally one requires you to have a certain recruited elf character at a high level.

-Never ever kill or execute anyone when given the choice. Always be benevolent to the point where it hurts.

-If someone dies in warfare, reload your save if you're aiming at the best ending.

-Abuse your reconnaissance commands in warfare. If you do everything right, most battles end in less than 5 turns so use your highest attacking units.

-Duels are based on the fighter's stats. If you cannot win a duel just level up that person.

-Your opponent in a duel will always talk before they take any actions. Most fighters will comment about their attacks before they attack or scream before using a fierce attack. The same applies when they try to badger you to attack them at full strength. Some are less obvious, but there are plenty of signs to make duels easy enough.

-The point-of-no-return deals with your jail inside the castle (its the only time it will ever be used). You'll have the option to talk to someone you have captive; be sure to complete everything you need to complete before initiating the dialog here.

-When the final boss uses their rune in plot mode, you can go apeshit with yours once you start the battle. I made the mistake of thinking there was more and ended up conserving my spells which added about 30 minutes to that fight.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Anything for Final Fantasy X-2? I've been meaning to play this for ages and I may have some time for it soon.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the Final Fantasy X-2 advice! I wont be aiming for the 100% as I'm not a big fan of playing a whole game with a guide next to me.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I rented it years ago. I remember seeing the intro then shutting it off and returning it to the rental store. Goons love this game so I'm willing to try again. The real insensitive though is that I loved FFX.

I only save my OCD for the Suikoden series (which I don't have to worry about ever again according to Konami).

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Final Fantasy X-2 again.

Are there any dress spheres/classes I shouldn't bother using? What are the better dress spheres I should be working on? Is there any mission or side quest in particular that I should aim for? Should I bother with the coin sphere mini game in Luca (it's so drat boring)?

I just started to play and I'm avoiding pushing the plot along before I wrap up some of the side quests. Right now I'm avoiding Zanarkand and Besaid for the simple fact that they look like they are plot related. Will it matter which I pick? So many questions.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

HondaCivet posted:

So I was trying to look over the older posts in this thread about NIER . . . Someone mentioned that while most of the side quests are lovely and tedious and skippable, a few are really awesome. Could someone give me a list of the worthwhile ones (while keeping it as spoiler-free as possible of course)? I'm not a completionist by any stretch so I naturally tend to skip that stuff, please help me not miss out.

Hopefully someone can tell you some of the better quests, particular those that net you the most money. It's been awhile since I last played it and I will say that money is a big deal in the game. The "easiest" way is by doing certain quests followed by selling loot you obtain from a certain dungeon (or if you're a real masochist, from fishing).

If you have no desire to do many side quests, my advice to you is buy the Phoenix line of gear. It's typically one of the best if not the best line of weapons in the game. Upgrade them until they start to require eggs. If you really want to max it, be warned that you will need to suicide and run a bit in order to farm them and it will take a long rear end time.

Honestly, just use something you like. When it comes down to it, pretty much every weapon will require some farming to max out. Most weapons, if not all of them, require endgame materials, so don't feel obligated to stick with only one in particular. Play around with them. The game is quite fair in most aspects, you shouldn't have any trouble beating the game with any weapon or upgrade level.

Finally avoid Fishing unless you have a guide.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 8, 2011

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

WarringPhoenix posted:

Anything on Etrian Odyssey III? I just started and I've gotten my rear end handed to me really god drat hard. Just got to the second floor but I'm only level 7 and I have a tendency to die to the giant green bird.

It's a hard series as you can pretty much tell already. Have you played any of the previous games? What is your class line up? I only ask to see if you're familiar with the general flow of the game when it comes to your classes, difficulty curve, mini map system, and dealing with crushing defeat.

The key to these games are to abuse shortcuts on the map, boss weaknesses, buffs & debuffs, gearing up, and having a ton of real life luck. If you're on the map always make sure you have a quick way back to town. Additionally you will want to explore every wall or dead-end for the shortcuts.

When you reach a new stratum don't feel obligated to rush things. Don't sit on your mana, blow through it and treat new enemies as real threats (many times they will be). You're going to make a few trips back & forth, and once you feel comfortable you can start pushing deeper & deeper. Ideally on a new floor you'll want to kill as many monsters for their loot as you can carry or before you start faltering in mana; this way you can start creating new gear whenever possible. Another good practice is to kill monster in certain ways for their rare loot. Some are more obvious, others require things you would not normally do (like only using a certain elemental spell and nothing else, or waiting for them to use an attack before you do anything).

Treat FOEs (those orbs on your map) as bosses. Don't mess with them if you can help it. Once you've completed a stratum or two you should be able to handle them without too much fuss. Alternatively you could always cheese them by looking at guides and find out their weaknesses. They typically drop loot that always unlocks weapons or gimmicky items.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Human Revolution

This.

You can also lure guards by jumping up and down on the other side of walls or near doors. Once you get good at it you can lure one at a time and just ambush them. Same with grabbing and tossing objects to where you want guards to investigate. Good for separating groups.

Line of sight is iffy, too. Sometimes guards don't care if they see a floating vending machine move from wall to wall while you stride behind it (unless this has been patched out, I loved doing this). The same holds true with hacking in city hubs. Plop up a trash can or surround yourself with boxes within the visual range of any npcs and have at it.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
From the previous page:

Foxhound posted:

About to start playing Batman: Arkham City. Any sweet hints? I finished Asylum.

There is no achievement/trophy for completing the game on the hardest mode this time around.

Just like in Asylum you'll need to revisit portions of the game for Riddler Trophies as you'll have to unlock gadgets in order to get them. This includes trophies frozen in ice.

You wont be able to solve the question mark alignment riddles until you progress a little into the game.

Your explosive foam can be used on the question marks switches and you can trigger them manually in first person view.

If a Batarang isn't working on a switch this means you'll need to run a current through it by remotely running it into some electricity -- fly your Batarang into a conduit and then run it into the switch. A good example of this is a switch next to Calendar Man's cell.

There's a few pressure plate Riddler wall switches that require you to glide into them. Many of these will have you kick off the wall to glide to another switch without touching the ground. If you're having trouble you can Bat Spring yourself up a building and then adjust yourself without having to do a kick off (the controls for it can be unresponsive at times).

Complete the first set of flying challenges for a gadget. The second set is a royal bitch that requires pixel perfect gliding. Only bother if you want the achievement/trophy.

Level up your combat abilities first as this will give you access to easier x5 finishers opposed to x8, timed combos so you can have a higher multiplier, and the x15 combat flow ability.

Catwoman's chapters are mostly towards the end of the game opposed to being scattered throughout. It's not urgent to level her.

If you're having trouble with The Stranger side mission you will be able to see the masked man after completing various plot points. Make it habit to turn on detective mode the moment you're outside after a cutscene and scan the top of buildings.

Riddler will eventually send out green goons mixed into gang groups throughout the game. An easy way to deal with them is by a triple stun or with the late game freeze weapons. By the end of the game if you managed to take them out properly they will reveal all of Riddler's Challenge locations on the map. Not bad if you don't want to bother with a guide!

The 50 combo and 5 gadget achievement can be easily done in the challenge modes.

There's an annoying Riddle in Joker's Steel Mill (the Assembly Line room). The solution to will not appear until the final act of the game even if you managed to beat its location out of someone. If you're curious, the Riddle is "Once assembled, do these two become one again?"

-------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps.

Seriously, gently caress the gliding challenges.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 7, 2011

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Any tips for Dead Island? I was unable to find a page up on the wiki for it.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Beans posted:

Play it with a friend or 2, makes the game much more fun. If you are on PC make sure you use the hack that lets you use the directional(analog) attack direction.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3436011

PC thread has a bunch of stuff for mods and all that. If you are playing with more than 1 other person I recommend getting Director's Cut (challenge/co-op mode)mod by t-nutz.

Sounds good, thanks for pointing this out!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I love the idea of Eternal Sonata: a RPG about Frederic Chopin dreaming up this world for you on his death bed. It's a shame I could not get into it. Lord knows I tried.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

ToxicFrog posted:

DS2 is basically More Of The Same, except the level design isn't as good and the plot is even more bland and forgettable; I'd give it a miss and just play through DS1 again on new game +, personally.

I found Dead Space 2 to be superior to Dead Space 1 in that they took everything I enjoyed from the game and embraced the schlock. I will admit that the pacing doesn't hold a candle but it does have its moments.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

SaGa Frontier

Any tips for its sequel? I'm revisiting some of my older games that I never finished and this is one that is on my list.

edit for engrish

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Eggie posted:

A sibling is starting Breath Of Fire IV. What advice is there for her?

Ugh this game. Expect a very long cliche story that takes hours to get anywhere.

There's a lot of useless monster skills that serve no purpose. This is especially true in the beginning of the game.

During the water well dream sequence you can learn some decent monster skills earlier than usual.

Monsters skills that you learn are also buffs, your character just needs to be defending when they do these.

If you miss a monster skill they will typically be back in a dungeon or two.

It will be a long time before you unlock your second Master.

Most of the hidden paths on the map are for fishing spots.

Fishing isn't too necessary, but the fish sell for good money and can replenish your SP.

There's quite a lot more but I haven't played this game in years. I would suggest using a guide for monster skills and masters as those can be a pain.