Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm probably going to be taunted unmercifully for this, but any tips for Super Mario 64? It won't really be the first time I've played it as I think I've rented it and played the DS version a little, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Olaf The Stout posted:

Almost none of the stars are hard to get, but there's a few that require unique techniques that are rather obtuse to figure out. You only need 70 to beat the game, so unless you're going for all 120, gently caress 'em.

Upstairs is a water-based level with a waterbug on the painting. You can change the height of the water depending on how high you jump into the painting.

The eyeball enemies can be killed by running circles around them.

You can get a lot of coins by running circles around wooden poles sticking out of the ground.

After the first ten stars or so, a beam of light will appear in the central castle area. Stand on the pad and look into it.

Tap A to swim faster.

In the basement there is a desert-themed level that doesn't have a painting. Just jump into one of the dead-end corridors.

Talk to the toads.

That's all I can think of. The game has aged pretty well, and be sure to check out galaxies too.

Thanks! I'm actually working my way through Galaxy now.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This may be cheating, as I've attempted it a few times before, but any tips for Viva Pinata?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Koops posted:

Learn by dying. When you die, think about what you did wrong, and don't do it again.

Don't grind unless you're really close to affording something. It will make the game tedious and less fun, and you'll get souls much faster by exploring new areas.

You're going to lose lots of souls. Don't stress out over it, you'll get more in no time. You can avoid losing large numbers of souls by spending as many as you can before going somewhere dangerous, and by only using the soldier's and hero's soul items when you're close to affording something.

You can do the levels in any order (after you beat the first boss). If one level is giving you too much trouble, another one might be more susceptible to your strengths, or you might find something that will help you in the level that was stonewalling you.

The Demon's Soul items dropped by bosses can be traded for unique weapons and magic. Don't use them unless you're sure they're no good to you.

If you have any specific questions, drop by the Demon's Souls thread. The vets there like to hear progress reports from rookies.

On this note, you can probably safely use the first Demon's Soul. It's only good for a purely PvP spear.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Gaggins posted:

Anyone got any good starting tips for Dark Souls? There's a few already on the wiki, but I'm missing some basic elements. How do I heal myself? What does humanity do/being harrowed do? Why do I want humanity? What is does kindle mean? Do ceramic vases ever have any items in them?

As stated before, use your estus flask. You'll start out with only five uses of the flask. When you stay at a bonfire, you get a free refill to your flask. Spend a humanity to kindle the bonfire and that bonfire will give you ten swigs of flask from that point onward. To kindle a bonfire, you have to be human, which requires you to spend a humanity. So if you're hollowed, you'll have to spend two humanity to kindle. Humanity can be found as an item, and once in a blue moon you'll get humanity added to your pool of humanity from killing an enemy. The item humanity is simple: eat it, get a humanity. Item humanity also restores your HP almost entirely when you eat it, so you might be able to take advantage of that once you get to... a certain area where you can farm humanity. Typically, item humanity drops from rats. Now, on being harrowed/human? After a certain point in the game, you'll talk to a knight who will give you a white soapstone. If you use the white soapstone, you'll put a summon sign on the ground that other people online in human form can see, and those people can use it to summon the person who put it there for JOLLY CO-OPERATION. You can place a summon sign whether you're human or hollow. While helping someone through a level, you get souls from all kills, and if you and your host successfully beat a boss, you get humanity, plus a bounty of souls. If you die as a summoned co-op helper, you don't lose your souls or anything - you just get punted back to the last bonfire you stayed at in your world. Once you get to the church, I recommend putting down your summon sign, hovering around level 15-18, and helping people with the boss. You'll get souls, learn the fight, and with any luck you'll get humanity out of the deal! Sorry for the wall of text.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

zachol posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't get through the asylum without talking to the knight and acquiring them. He gives you a key you need at the same time.
Unless you defeated the big demon thing the first time you saw it, with just the sword hilt?

Nnnnno, if he did that he'd just get the Big Pilgrim's Key from the knight instead of the demon.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Gaggins posted:

I kind of glitched my way back in to the demon through the big doors and killed it. I totally missed the hole in the wall that the bowling ball made, so I kept trying to get through the big doors and even though they were 'locked by a strange force' or whatever it just let me back in. (e: and the demon left me the big pilgrim key.) I'm glad I asked you guys and restarted, I mean I knew this game was supposed to be hard but you can imagine how I felt trying to make progress with no estus flask.

I have just a couple more questions: In the tutorial, there was a door I couldn't unlock, just around the corner from the point where you drop in on the demon. I assume it led to that broken stairway with the corpse on it, I'm curious to know how to get there.
I assume I'll have to look online for explanations of spells, the cleric dude is selling some but I don't know what they do/if they are worth it. Also, If I'm a pyromancer and I join the priest's faction or whatever can I learn from his school too? Or will that gently caress me up (I hope not)?
Can you sell weapons somewhere? I've been picking up short swords and am wondering whether or not to keep them.
Thanks for all the help so far, I've got a ton more questions but it's all stuff I can figure out myself. This game could really benefit from a beefier instruction manual.

You'll get the key to that door in the asylum eventually. I'd make a policy of throwing away redundant weapons. Later on there'll be some unique weapons that use normal weapons along with a boss soul to craft, so you're definitely going to want to keep some of the more unremarkable weapons on hand.

There's a guy who you can sell things to later, and you can also give him the higher tiers of Titanite, which he'll break down into three units of lower-tier stuff. So, for example, he'll give you three Large Titanite Shards for a Titanite Chunk, and three Titanite Shards for a Large Titanite Shard. Whatever you do, DO NOT FEED HIM ANY TITANITE SLABS. Slabs are rare as hell, and for some reason you only get Large Shards out of it, not Chunks.

The pyromancer doesn't have a faction to begin with, so there's no harm in joining Way of White. You'll be able to leave the covenant later through a certain NPC near the first bell if you need to. Miracles are pretty decent if you can commit your points to faith. Also, the first pyromancy trainer you get access to doesn't require a covenant. Just remember: roll at him, don't attack. This will make sense later.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

LoveisOver posted:

Ok, World of Warcraft.

If i just stick to my friends inviting me to play with them I should be fine? Or should i know some crucial game stuff? I already know the lore and I'm caught up with the backstory and fiction/evetns of PreWC1, WC2, WC3, WoW, BC, WotLK, and Cata, but as someone who's barely actually played the game I feel i might not know some important things about weapons, gear, raids, loot, leveling up, travelling etc

Does anyone have useful newbie tips, or will i be just fine if i start playing the darn game?

Well, I haven't played in a while, but Mining and jewelcrafting are a great profession combo. The gist of it is that you consume the ore you mine in order to extract gems from it, then turn those gems into gear. Later on you'll be able to cut the gems and put them in socketed gear for more stats. Gems are good money on the auction house, too!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Any tips for MGS3? Playing the HD version.

At some point, you will be captured. Save at this time, then restart your PS3 and reload. Then...something will happen, provided it's still in this version.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 9, 2011

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Polite Tim posted:

The pendant isn't really that useful in any way, so you'd be better off choosing the master key unless you're a thief in which case go with black firebombs or somethine.

Pyromancy's meant to be pretty good as a starting class, though you are limited in how much magic you can use inbetween bonfires. I went thief, got myself a 100% damage block shield and the winged spear you get from the graveyard just outside the starting area and that kept me going for quite some time.

Then again i'm still stuck on the gargoyles so it is in no way an easy game

Sure you have limited casts, but being a pyromancer is basically the equivalent of getting eight free firebombs every time you use a bonfire.

KingShiro posted:

Only gift worth taking is Master Key.

Whoa there. Black Firebombs can be very useful for brute-forcing your way past the Taurus Demon if need be, and Twin Humanities is also nice. Besides, you can buy the Master Key later.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 10, 2011

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sturm posted:

I've been playing Persona 3 Portable and could use some general tips, I got to the first real boss(on floor 14), and i just can't get past him.

I see there are some tips in the OP, but does anyone else have some advice, like should I be fusing my different personas together at this point? Or how much exploring I should be doing in the town.

As for exploring in town, my go-to plan is to always spend time with a Social Link NPC after school, and then go to the arcade if I'm not going to Tartarus. Y'know those games in there? They can give stat boosts. Lucky Fortune, Mole Whackers and...Punch-something-or-another give a permanent three-point boost to Magic, Speed and Attack respectively, while the other three - Print Club, Quiz Game, and Horror House - give a whopping four points to Charm, Academics and Courage respectively. For reference, you get about two points from studying.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

For the sake of my dear old mom who's playing it, anything about Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Shameproof posted:

Just got God Hand, someone give me a their move loadout.

You can be really, really cheap and just put a guard breaker in your four-hit combo.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm pretty sure I asked before, but the wiki doesn't have whatever answers were given back then and darned if I can remember, so any advice for Viva Pinata?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

To the goon who asked about Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition, do Mothership Zeta. You can easily tackle it at level 10 or so, and while it's pretty short and linear, there's a warehouse brimming with lootables that makes it all worthwhile along with some amazing energy weapons. Totally worth it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Alternatively, don't do Mothership Zeta, because it's the worst of the add-ons and doesn't really fit with the rest of the game.

All depends on your priorities, really.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Count Chocula posted:

Re: Fallout 3: GOTYE: Some Mothership Zeta I Used TO Know

I like whacky poo poo and laser guns, and I don't really care about 'continuity'. However, I've been leveling up Small Guns and I keep running over my weight limit, so I don't think doing a mission that gives me more loot I can barely use is a good idea. I haven't tackled any of the add ons yet.

Make no mistake, I'm only recommending that you blow through it at L10 or so because best energy weapons in the game, and free rare poo poo like recon armor and a gatling laser.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

How's about some tips for Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones? I got it through the eShop ambassador program and it's just been sitting on my 3DS for a long time.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

-Don't overuse Seth at first, spread out exp among your weaker units and only bring him in when you're in a pickle. Taking away his weapons and using him to tank can be pretty helpful. Once your units are somewhat caught up though, feel free to start using him. He has really good growths.
-You have to bring Eirika/Ephraim on a lot of chapters, so don't neglect them. Ephraim is fantastic, so this shouldn't be a problem in his case. Eirikia's good too, just frail early on.
-The trainee units (Ross, Amelia, Ewan) take a lot of grinding or patience to use. They'll be good, but barring Ross who joins early enough to easily level, not worth the effort.
-The Bishop class (a promoted Mage, Monk or healer), deals effective damage to monsters, so they're pretty ridiculous.
-Any enemy with a portrait that's not a boss is recruitable.

Aha. Welp, doesn't seem like there's a lot of "tricks" to this game, just playing good.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

While I'm at it, lemme add my own tip: press R in armories to get a detailed look at equipment.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, please!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I know I mentioned Dead Rising 2: Off the Record before, but I've installed it and it lags horribly in spite of my PC more than meeting the requirements. Am I missing something here?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I've had PURE lying around for a while as it was a pack-in for my 360. Haven't touched it yet, but I figure I may as well try to get some amusement out of it. What say you, thread?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Against my better judgment, I'm finally trying out Rune Factory Frontier since I've had it from Gamefly for like three weeks. Gimme all ya got.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Anything for Soul Nomad?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Argon_Sloth posted:

A bunch of good stuff about Soul Nomad

How do I fight the shopkeepers to level up my customer ranking or whatever? My gauge is full, but there's no place to use a Gig Edict.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Having already played a little (the first hour, give or take), anything for Borderlands 2?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

I'm playing Final Fantasy 7 on my Vita, first playthrough believe it or not. Any gameplay tips for Materia, etc? I know not to level Aeris but I still do.

When you get to Shinra HQ, take the stairs. It's absolutely worth it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Besides the stuff on the wiki, anything for Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance? It's the only thing between me and finally playing MGS4.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

How's about Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon? I've been wanting to Gamefly that again.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The entry for Final Fantasy 7 is oddly sparse. Got anything for that?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm not too far into Xenoblade Chronicles, so you got anything for me on that front?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just got Zone of the Enders HD Collection from Gamefly. Anything important?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The wiki's a bit skimpy on the matter, so anything I need to know for Disgaea 3? My experience is pretty much limited to having beaten the first game by the skin of my teeth.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

The wiki's a bit skimpy on the matter, so anything I need to know for Disgaea 3? My experience is pretty much limited to having beaten the first game by the skin of my teeth.

Nothing at all on this? :shobon:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I have one and only one thing to add to the entry on Freedom Force.

Early on, one mission has an optional objective of not alerting any guards, which amounts to not letting enemies touch guardhouses. It's practically impossible to pull this off, so just let the enemies activate EVERY guardhouses, since the prestige from the enemies spawned by the guardhouses is actually far more than the reward from said objective.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Couldn't help but notice a lack of information on XCOM: Enemy Unknown in the wiki, so lay some knowledge on me, please!

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 2, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I've read the wiki, but just to be extra-cautious, anything about Dragon Age: Origins beyond what's covered there?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

If you go for an Intelligence-based character, don't upgrade your weapons into anything fancy like Magic/Divine/Fire/Lightning. Instead, use the Magic Weapon spells, which buff the hell out of your weapon and won't work with fancypants upgrade paths.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

This may be as much personal preference as anything else, but you should experiment with different playstyles - in my case, I found both magic and sword & board to be tedious and fiddly, and doing ALL THE DAMAGE while relying exclusively on dodging for defence to be a blast.

Sorceries are an excellent way of doing ALL THE DAMAGE, thank you very much. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just bought Atelier Ayesha and literally know nothing about the series except that it involves alchemy and shops and poo poo. Any tips?