Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Just picked up Oblivion with all expansions from the steam sale, its my first Elder scrolls game so pretty excited.

Asides from that, is there anything I should know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wow this thread took off.

Currently I am 3 hours into my Vanilla game playing as Dark Elf custom build battle mage (the skill difference being light armour instead of alchemy , though I might reboot and pick heavy armour instead), my characters aim just to be a hedonistic dick.

Asides from a extensive amount of larceny, I have not really gotten too far. What I am wondering now really, is should I just attach a levelling mod and start again or just keep going? (also ui)?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
What mod just fixes the levelling problems? ... or is there more I should be worried about?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
So... if I am reading this right, if I picked a thief class and earned several levels from thieving and then was to enter a dungeon, though I may be an excellent thief.. I would be a poo poo fighter and get my head smashed in combat?

So is Oblivion like a monkeys paw?

That your hosed by the hubris in what you wish to be?

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 18, 2012

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Guns of Icarus Online

Tips for beginners:

-Do the tutorials for each class before you try online play, though the game is forgiving to new players, you earn achievements through doing them and achievements are primarily how you level each class up.

-You level up each class via accomplishing achievements. Though everyone is equal from the start, this really does not effect gameplay but it does unlock many aesthetic options for designing your character.

-Take time to try out each ship and learn their layout, some can have many of the main parts relatively close together while others may have them scattered all over the ship. Learning where each system is on what ship is vital as a engineer.

-Try out each gun and learn their quirks and benefits. Some guns work best against Armour while others work best at damaging ship systems and weapons, knowing what each does and how they work together can be the key to winning a fire fight.

-Ask questions, there are many good players willing to give you advice and help you along, just ask.

Tips for Gunners:

-Learn your ammo types and know what each does and what weapon they work best with. Heavy shot is good for getting extra range on a gun like the hwacha while Lesmok rounds work best with flamers as ramp up the firing speed. As a gunner you will be responsible for making sure the main gun or guns you are using do the max DPS they can so make sure that you know when to use what rounds.

-Talk to your team, especially your captain and ask him what set-up works best, you will generally know what is best to bring in most cases, but if your captain is bringing a unique gun load out, you need to know and prepare accordingly.

-Learn your ranges and carry a range finder, most guns have a set range they are most effective at, knowing this makes a massive difference in a fire fight.

-When loading special ammo into a gun, you have to wait until the loading sequence finishes otherwise normal ammo is loaded instead. This can be annoying especially if the gun will be used by other crew members who do not have that ammo type.

Tips for Engineers:

-Pay attention to what your captain is saying, if he is dumping kerosene into the engines you need to know and be there repairing them. Same goes for other engine and balloon buffs.

-Pick a deck and stay there. If you are covering Armour and side engines, stick to them and let other engineers cover other decks, the only time you need to help is to fix hull when critical or balloon when the ship has bottomed out. Then usually at the captains request.

-Extinguish flames first THEN repair.

-Buff hammer is best when you buff guns to 90%, then 100% when in range so the buff is not wasted.

-Engineer is a good general class to use and depending on the ship you will usually be called to assist the gunner by manning guns. As such learn how each gun works and the ammo types also.

Tips for Pilots:

-This is the hardest class to use as you will usually be acting as captain, so it is advisable to have played a few games as gunner and engineer so as to know the layout of each ship and the capabilities of each gun.

-Learn how to fly each ship in the sand box, learn their visibility points and blind sides. Each has its strengths and weaknesses, as captain you need to know these.

-When picking the load out for each ship, pick guns which suit your tactics and you ship type. Some ships benefit more with certain load outs.

-A ship is usually good as his captain, do not be afraid to give orders and plan with your crew on tactics, but don't be a dick about it. If your gunner or engineers are trying to tell you something, listen to them.

-Learn your each guns firing arcs and fly your ship accordingly.

-Each piece of pilot gear buffs an aspect of the ship at the cost of damaging a ship system. If you are going to use one, make sure to warn engineers and crew in advance so they can be repairing the affected system while the buff is being used.

-Try not to crash into things.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

BrightWing posted:

I'm going to buy Caves of Qud.

Goons have recommended me some awesome games over the years, I have a feeling this may be another.