Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Atheist
Feb 15, 2005

With the recent release of Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, I thought I'd share some of my tips with new players. This is a really great game, seriously, they don't make games this good anymore, this game is basically like treasure. If you haven't gone through it before now's your chance to see it without muddling through installing mods. You can even play it on your ipad!

-Character Creation-

It's the basic 6 stat system you see in a lot of other CRPGS, strength affects your melee damage and carry weight, agility for ranged weapons, intelligence for mage spells, etc. You should start with at least an 18 in your class' primary stat, maybe 19 if the race you chose has a +1 bonus to it. Constitution is important for everyone since it dictates the amount of hit points you get, but it's not the go-to stat. Don't neglect Charisma, though, since you'll be leading your band of adventurers, and charisma affects NPC reactions and store prices.

All the classes are available to choose from, along with the subclass kits from BG2. They're all viable, you can't gimp yourself like in, say, Planescape: Torment by choosing the wrong stats and class, though some classes (like monk) will feel very underpowered in BG1 but go on to kick unbelievable amounts of rear end in BG2 while kits like Shapeshifter are just the opposite (if you think you'll import your BGEE character to BG2EE when it comes out, of course!) There's plenty of recruitable characters to pick up to fill in any weaknesses in your party, though you'll generally want a well-rounded group with frontline melee fighters, an arcane spellcaster, a cleric for healing spells, group buffs, and to turn undead, and at least one character with thieving skills.

I recommend not making the protagonist a straight-up thief, since like the first thing that happens is Imoen joins up. She's a single-class thief, with pretty decent stats too, and she becomes very important to the plot later on, so she's worth keeping around.

Get Minsc. For the same reason everyone tells you to get Wrex in Mass Effect, you need Minsc. You'll find him in Nashkel, where he'll ask for your help in rescuing his friend from gnolls. You have 10 days to do so, after a few days he'll remind you that you still need to do that, but after the full 10 he'll either leave or attack you.

There are also 3 new characters you can pick up added in the Enhanced Edition. Neera is a half-elf wizard with the Wild Mage kit, she has decent stats and some fun spells exclusive to the kit. You can recruit her in Beregost after saving her from a group of Red Wizards.

Rasaad is a human monk found in a new zone called the Cloud Peaks near Nashkel. He's the only monk in the game, unless you made the protagonist a monk, so he's worth checking out. The zone he's in is pretty neat too.

Dorn Il-Khan is a half-orc blackguard. I haven't run into him yet, but he's an evil-aligned character so I'd pass him up unless you're forming an all-evil party (which I wouldn't recommend for a first playthrough).

-Getting Started-

There's a few sidequests you can do around Candlekeep before setting off. These are:
-Finding Phyldia's lost book
-Returning Firebeard's scroll
-Getting an antidote for Nessa the sick cow
-Buying crossbow bolts for Fuller
-Exterminating rats for Reevor (make sure you check your journal when you get this quest :) )
-Surviving 2 assassination attempts
-Returning Hull's sword

These can give you a comfortable amount of gold to buy the weapons you need from Winthrop to start your journey. When you're done, talk to Gorion on the steps and you're off! Enjoy yourself, there's nothing quite like this game out there, at least until BG2EE comes out! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Atheist
Feb 15, 2005

Xander77 posted:

?

One of us doesn't remember PS:T that well.

(It's you)
The class system was different in PS:T but if you didn't beef up Wisdom, Charisma and Intelligence (in basically that order of importance) throughout you'd miss out on a ton of dialogue and side events! There were a TON of stat checks within dialogue in that game and while you could do well and beat the game as a tough guy fighter or sneaky agile thief, you definitely want to go high mental stats mage for the best experience. Baldur's Gate doesn't place that sort of emphasis on dialogue (afaik almost all the dialogue options are always the same regardless of your stats or alignment) so you don't miss out on anything by rolling the 'wrong' stats.

Gay Atheist
Feb 15, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

This sounds terrible, why would "No emphasis on dialogue" be a selling point in an RPG?
it was the first game of it's kind. Don't get me wrong, the writing in BG is absolutely stellar, it just doesn't have the stat checks within dialogue present in PS:T that let you overlook a good portion of the game if you didn't know to make your man a smarty-pants. Good thing this thread and the wiki exist.