Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Mr E posted:

What should I know before going to the first dungeon in Onett in Earthbound?

About 2/3 of the way through it is an outdoor area that connects two caves. A PSI Butterfly commonly spawns out there, giving you back 20PP. Keep refreshing the area until you're full, letting you spam Lifeup and (Rockin) to your heart's content. You can use it as a "base of operations" if you need to level up for the boss. He can be a pain if you don't heal on EXACTLY the right turn or he gets a critical at the wrong time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Crazy Achmed posted:

Final Fantasy 5

Use a guide to find all the blue magic as you go. Used correctly, Blue Magic is almost always an overpowered mechanic in FF games. In the early game, a Red Mage will probably be enough for your healing needs. I don't think Steal is really all that useful, and dash is kind of unnecessary if you're on an emulator, since you can just up the speed a little. So maybe switch Faris over to a Red Mage and see how that works?

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

daspope posted:

The armor has several stats on it that you can't see until you buy it or equip it or something like that. I didn't realize this for a while and just went off the listed armor value for a while. This resulted in poor damage from melee and abysmal healing.

Expanding on this. Mystic Armor gives you +magic power, and so +MP by extension. Light Armor gives +HP, and Heavy Armor gives +attack power.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

quote:

FF12

There's a lot of things you can do if you want a perfect game, or plan to tackle the postgame content. There are a few things you can permanently miss, but only one of them, the Zodiac Spear, is of any real use. If that's your thing, find a guide and follow it to the letter.

If you'd rather just go through at your own pace and focus on the plot and such, just do whatever you like. It's pretty much impossible to mess up permanently.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Dominic White posted:

It is of some use, but it's hardly the be-all and end-all of weapons in the game. It also randomly drops off at least one enemy type as well, so you can get it even if you're not playing from a guide.

It's actually a random chest in the secret area in the Henne Mines. Spawning the area has about a 1/1000 chance of having the chest with the spear in it. But it IS the first "ultimate weapon" available and among the easiest to get. And if you're not going out of your way to get the others, 150 attack power will probably be the highest you're ever going to see.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

WardeL posted:

I don't know if this has been said yet, but for Star Ocean 3:

Explore the entirety of all the maps you come to, even the mountains outside of Airyglyph when the plot tells you you need to run. The soldiers wandering the map are tough and if you're not good at the game's combat system, they WILL kill you, but you can still explore it. Exploring the entirety of a map gives you a scale bunny (or something like that, I don't remember what it's called, it's been a while). You can then go back into Airyglyph, sell the bunnies, and then buy Fayt (and maybe even Cliff or Nel, I don't remember if you end up having enough) weapons that they're not supposed to have until well into disc 1. Your characters (that you bought weapons for, I recommend Fayt at least) will be absurdly overpowered throughout a good portion of the first disc.

You can get one of those Scale Bunnies from every map you fully explore, giving you an unnoticeable +5% movement speed in battle. They don't stack with one another**, meaning if you care about the 5% you only have to keep 1 and sell the others, or just sell them all if you don't care.

**Except for the 1/1 Scale Bunny, which halves your speed while you have it in your inventory. However it sells for several hundred thousand so deal with it until you can unload it.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
Now that I'm laid off, I finally have time to pull Dragon Quest 8 off the shelf it's been sitting on for 2 years. I know I'll be doing enough grinding to humble a Korean MMO, but is there anything else I should know? What weapon skills to give people and so forth.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

quote:

DQ8

Thanks guys. I've got the Bradygames guide for it which has alchemy recipes and marginally better skill descriptions, so I should be good on those.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Dypsymphuliac posted:

You have no idea how ashamed I am that I never thought of that.

The best part is that I think he actually HAS Blind, so you can just Draw-Cast and basically have him cast it on himself.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

LorneReams posted:

I'm trying to get back into Legend of Mana because I loved Secret of Mana, but I'm having a hard time. The game seems really disconnected and the plot is strange. Is there anything I can do to make the game more fun, or is it just a different game altogether?

It's a whole different animal.

There are 3 main plot lines, any of which will bring you to the end, but you're welcome to do all of them. One is the Gato line, starring Escad, Deanna, and Irwin, which incidentally starts in Gato. You've got your Jumi line featuring Elazul and Pearl, most of which involves Geo in some way. Then there's the Dragoon line, with Larc, which begins in the Underworld. A "plot quest" will usually have a little symbol appear by the name when the quest first pops up.

There's really no way to know what artifact is going to be involved in a story line, without actually consulting a guide or anything. You don't always get the next location from the previous quest. Example, to continue the Gato line, you might have to help Nicollo find the sprite in the Mindas Ruins to get the next artifact.

I recall the Underworld line being the most straightforward, in that finishing one area will give you the artifact for the next, and so on. Just play through until you get the Twisted Spoon and follow that line from then on.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

NicktheBishop posted:

I'm just starting Final Fantasy V. What should I know (particularly regarding the jobs, I'd like to discover secrets and poo poo by myself)?

Blue Magic is very useful if you get the spells as early as you can. Also bosses are usually susceptible to a status effect or two. If you're in a tough spot, there's no harm in giving L.5 Doom or Odin a try...

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

The Capm posted:

Why is this? When I first left the town I was getting slaughtered by mosquitoes. I figured some grinding was in order...

You may have left Gregminster before you're supposed to.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
I think you can use L and R to move your "home point," where you run back to after attacking. If you sidle right up to a guy, you won't have to run anywhere, so you can stunlock him back into a corner and cheese from there.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Nocturne Sabre posted:

An old one, but does anyone have anything to say about Ogre Battle 64?

There are multiple ways to "take over" a city. If the alignment of the unit taking it over more or less equals the morale of the city, it'll be "liberated" else it'll be "conquered" or somesuch. Unless you spend an inordinate amount of time tweaking alignments of your units and picking which fights everyone gets in (pretty tough), you'll end up conquering all the bases rather than liberating them, which nets you worse and worse endings depending on how you did. Conversely, liberating them gets you good endings.

My first time through the game, I did so badly that, even though I won the war and saved humanity etc etc I was still seen as an evil overlord and my own allies turned on me and killed me.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

opaopa13 posted:

I just ordered the Wii version of Phantom Brave, having played through a good chunk of it on the PS2 before my copy of the game and my memory card were stolen. I have a vague memory of the mechanics (there are titles, and they're important?), but none of the specifics. A reminder of the basics would be great.

I don't know if there are any differences between the PS2 and Wii versions, so all this relates to PS2.

Anyone besides Marona needs to be summoned using an item, be it a rock, tree, weapon, etc. The type of item used affects their stats; a rock increases the unit's defense at the cost of speed.

Titles also affect stats. The (made up) title "awesome" might increase all stats by 10% or whatever, while the (real) title Failure decreases all stats by 80%. Most titles will increase some stats and decrease others in amounts under 10%, unless leveled up at a Dungeon Monk.

A DM will generate a random dungeon named by random characters. As you progress in the dungeon, all percentages will increase, making negatives less negative and positives more positive. However, every enemy in the dungeon uses that title, so they get all the relevant stat bonuses. Example, the dungeon "opaopa13" might increase Strength by 10%. As you go down, you eventually get it up to +30%. Now every enemy in that dungeon has +30%. You can use a "Titlist" to transfer titles among items, dungeons, and characters.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Also guard is loving useless in both games.

Unless you're playing Final Mix on Ultimate difficulty in which case NOT guarding is often instant death. :barf:

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can't mention PS1 games without Xenogears. It even has some fun platforming for an RPG. You also can't forget to mention how bad the second disc is but you can skip through all of character one or character two as they both repeat each other for several minutes (Metal Gear Syndrome?).

Just make sure you force an encounter before you try and jump. Even running from an image on an emulator, there's still a small delay where you can't jump because it's loading an encounter.

And I honestly didn't care about the beginning of disc 2. The rest of the game is good enough that I'm willing to forgive a bunch of text dumps.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Salt Block Party posted:

Can you get through the game having a somewhat enjoyable time without using gamefaqs?

There are 3 "main" quest lines, any of which will give you the final AF. You can do all of them in one game if you want; they're not exclusive, though you only get 1 Sword of Mana(final AF).

The "Gato" line requires backtracking to areas that otherwise have nothing to do with the rest of the story, so that might be a pain to figure out. Plus the main antagonist is named Irwin and that's just silly, though I think I like the story and the writing the best.

The "Geo/Jumi" line is so long, annoying, and counterintuitive that I think I've only ever done it twice, despite loving the hell out of the rest of the game. The last dungeon in that line is pure hatred, though you get access to a partner character who refills your tech meter when you get close. It's basically God-mode but even so I don't think it's worth it unless you plan on playing again in No Future (every enemy level 99) mode.

The "Underworld/Dragon" line is almost completely linear; you're given the next AF you need right before you go there, and it only involves areas given to you during that quest line. There are, however, 2 places where you might wanna get on GameFAQs. One's a quest where you have to gather ingredients in a certain combination and it's more annoying than difficult. And the final dungeon in that line is a huge maze so a map or guide would be pretty helpful.

Ultimately you don't need GameFAQs, I made it through just fine my first time, though I obviously didn't do every quest. Even in the worst of circumstances, you can do 95% of them so unless you're feeling particularly OCD you don't even have to care about Mana levels or AF placement and can just do whatever.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

internet inc posted:

Anything I should know about Golden Sun?

The game's pretty straightforward. By messing around with who has what Djinns equipped, you can change their classes, but I did just fine having the earth guy with all the Earth Djinns and so on. There are a few things you might want guides for, though:

Some of the Djinns are random battles on the world map in specific spots. A lot of them are obvious (a little island in the middle of a lake with nothing else on it, for example), but some aren't so easy to see.

Most of the strongest equips are rare drops from enemies in the final dungeon. If you plan on playing the second game, go ahead and look up how to break the RNG to get each one as easily as possible. Think about it as saving time. You're going to get the drop eventually, but you're "missing out" on all the experience and money you would be getting by farming regularly. :v:

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Scalding Coffee posted:

What can you tell me about the Item World pirates in Disgaea 2 and why their maps are so important?

Collect all 16 and you get access to the Land of Carnage, which pretty much just ramps the difficulty up of any map you access from it. Also the enemies inside the maps' item worlds tend to be pretty high (200+) and a lot of people reload for invincibility/reverse damage tiles so they can kill/rob high-level guys easily.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

casual poster posted:

also, while reading another forum i think i heard someone mentioned that you can choose to date either tifa or aeris, is that true? and if so, what do you gain from it?

All it changes is a cutscene or two. Cloud just goes around the Golden Saucer with your woman or Barret of choice and is oblivious to their advances.

Nocturne Sabre posted:

For some reason I'm thinking Yuffie is a candidate for the date too

You are thinking correctly.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Vizrt posted:

So, what should I know before starting Platinum? Charging up the DS now, then going to fire it up. I read the OP for pokemon here in games, and all the changes seem pretty daunting(as well as the thread). Am I going to miss much if I play through without consulting a guide? Anything I can miss the first time around? Any other advice/tips welcome.

If you don't plan on doing any kind of competitive battling, just do whatever. Use whatever you think looks cool or strong, and don't worry too much about picking "correct" moves or Pokemon.

The "Special" stat has been divided into Special Attack and Special Defense. Moves are no longer type-bound, meaning that Fire moves etc aren't all Special anymore. There are 2 new types, Steel and Dark.

Everybody's got an "Ability" now, like the starters will increase Fire/Water/Grass damage if they're at low health, and Gastly etc Levitate because they're ghosts and so on.

For casual playing, that's pretty much all you need to know about the changes. You don't need to worry about the invisible stats or min/maxing or anything like that. It's a kids' game, just have fun with it. There may be some missable things but I doubt they really matter if I can't remember them specifically.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

I could use a little more help/clarification with Phantom Brave.

First off, I have like 40 objects on top of the house and I haven't gotten any bottle mails other than the two you get at the end of each of the first two chapters.

Second, I could use advice leveling up new characters. I run into trouble trying to advance the plot because all my phantoms except Ash and a couple others are low level. Is there a way to advance levels really fast in the first 3 chapters?

Third, is there a way to get mana really fast yet? Or do I need to reach some later point?

You get the bottlemail by stacking stuff on top of the tree next to the house. You also get a Changebook this way. Which brings me to point 2:

To level up other characters, have Ash pick up the Changebook on the island and whack someone with it. You'll now control the other character. Have that character pick up a weapon and go to town on your other characters. You'll get experience as if you'd killed a monster of the same level. However...

Killing your own characters gives you a stat called "Dark" which, upon reaching 100, will give you the Blasphemer title and the "Dark Eboreus" skill you may have seen once or twice by now. Sounds well and good but characters with a high Dark stat will randomly kill other characters on the island while you're away. Not a big deal as long as you've got the money to res them. If you ally-kill for levels, stop around maybe ~50 Dark or so to keep yourself safe from that.

I don't honestly know the formula for getting mana. One of the classes gets a "Mana Strike" attack which gives you an extra bit of mana if you kill an enemy with it.

The number of "free stat points" you can give a new character depends on the highest-leveled character of that class you already have. Example, a class you've never made yet has 3 points you can distribute. If you have a level 100 of that same class, you might have like 20 points or something. If you've got money to spare, you can just keep remaking people like that, having them gradually get stronger.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Iraff posted:

I just got The World Ends With You

Don't worry too much about the top screen at first. Just focus on Neku and glance up every so often to mash left or right, whichever side the enemies are on. Also there's nothing permanently missable, so take it easy and don't think you have to explore every nook and cranny every day.

Have your characters eating at all times. Once they're done with one food, give them another. Most foods give a permanent stat boost.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth, you have listings for both "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night" and just "Symphony of the Night." Those two should probably be merged.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Zaku II SB posted:

I've decided to play through Phantom Brave, since I've had it for a long time but never touched it. I'm a couple maps in and good lord, what is going on in this battle system? Every single thing has its own stats and experience and I just don't know what's worth doing. :confused: I haven't been this confused since the time I tried to play Unlimited Saga.

Don't worry too much about that unless you want to. Pick units you like, give them a weapon that seems to match them well (melee weapons for fighting classes, staves for mages, bushes or w/e for healers) and go to town. Similar to Disgaea and Pokemon and such, you can take the game at face value and powerlevel your way through the main story, but if you want to do all the postgame content, you'll need to learn the mechanics inside and out at some point.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
You can use Kimahri to get into Rikku's area before she joins, but I don't think you can steal anything too interesting that early.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Anything I should know about Contact?

There's a weird relationship between attacking and defending stats. The higher your attack stat, the harder it is to raise the same defense. The higher your Blunt Attack, the slower your Blunt Defense raises. I believe few things in the end use Slashing, so if you get your Slash too high too early, it's impossible to cap. It won't make too much of a difference in a normal game, but if you want to cap everything, work on defenses first. Each monster can only raise your defenses to a certain point though, like the crabs on the starting island can only bring you up to ~14 Slashing Defense.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Riversideblues posted:

I'm about to play the snes game that had always alluded me, sorry if I've missed it earlier in the thread but can anyone give me a rundown of Secret Of Mana??

(Why does a bar go from 0-100% when I swing my sword?)

That's a stamina meter. Running (moving while holding A) also drains it.If you try and attack when that's at less than 100% you'll do very little damage.

You get orbs to level up weapons. So get a Sword Orb (usually guaranteed from a boss) then bring it to a guy you meet later to have it leveled up. After you kill a bunch of things with a weapon, you'll get a message saying your weapon level went up. From then on, you can hold attack to charge up your weapon to do a stronger attack. You can have up to 1 sword skill with a level 1 sword, 2 skill with a level 2, and so forth. This applies to all weapons.

After the 8th temple, you'll have to go to a jungle-looking area. If you go straight there, you're liable to be killed in a few hits. Go back to the last temple you were at (the one in the coral reef area) and run all the way around the building. You'll find Neko who sells the armor the game expects you to have there.

The ally AI is awful. They'll get hung up on walls and columns all the time.

There's not really anything you can miss or mess up. Go nuts. There's a number of glitches you can exploit to get weapon orbs earlier than you're supposed to, but that takes a bit of the challenge out of the game. There actually is a way to get permanently stuck in the first town, but it's not something you'll stumble upon accidentally so don't worry about it.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Sentient Toaster posted:

I'm about 4 hours into .hack Infection and I'm getting sick of missing almost every attack. It doesn't seem to change when I try equipping stuff with higher physical accuracy. Does that ever change? General advice is also good.

It's been a while since I played the first .hack series, but here's what I remember:

Your level is very important. A tough fight for a level 5 team will be a lot easier for a level 6 team. It may be tempting to run around high-level areas early in the game but the fights will be so tough that the experience gain may not be worth it. Without Wavemasters/scrolls, it is difficult to even hit enemies 5+ levels higher than you.

As for general tips: there is no dedicated healer class. Your best bet is to be the healer yourself, or get a Wavemaster set to healing. I got through a good deal of the game just sitting in back and casting while I had two melee characters doing most of the actual fighting.

There's a weapon mod called Death that can instantly reduce an enemy to (I think) 10% of its current health. This is extremely cheap and exploitable. Some people keep a Death weapon equipped at all times, and some people avoid them altogether. I kept a normal weapon set, but switched over to the Death one when I got bored of fighting and just wanted to get a dungeon over with. This will happen very often in the later games.

There's no level requirement on equipment. Those guys running around town with level 50 weapons? If you can pull off the trade, you can use them at level 1. The otherwise useless items you get from the chest at the bottom of a dungeon (some kind of candy I think, and grunty statues or something) are excellent trade fodder.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

gorezerker posted:

Does anyone have any VERY important information about Xenogears I need to know?

Everyone has 3 different attacks: light (Triangle), medium (square), and strong (X). After a while, you'll get Deathblows, making any combo ending in X into a special move, for example: the first one is Triangle, X. Every time you hit Triangle, you get a bit of experience towards learning any Deathblow involving Triangle, and so forth. EXCEPT when you use a Deathblow. If you rely entirely on DBs you'll never learn any new ones. I'm not saying don't use them ever, but if you can get the job done with normal hits, it's probably a good idea.

If you have any unused combo points (if you can do 4 hits and only use 3 in one turn), they'll go towards your AP meter at the top. You can use the AP to chain together Deathblows to do a bunch at once. For example if you have 28 AP saved up (the max), you can do 7 of your 4-point DBs in one go. Or 4 6-point ones and a 4-point, or whatever. Throw down an attack buff the turn before you do this and you'll probably do half a boss's HP in one go.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Red Dragon posted:

You can miss the best weapon in the game by opening any of four (I think?) treasure chests. If you really want it, you'll need a guide.

It's nowhere near the best weapon in the game, and pretty terrible as far as ultimate weapons go. It's the highest-tier spear, useful only in that it's the first highest-tier weapon you can get. Don't sweat about missing it unless you are trying to powergame or are a completionist.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Capsaicin posted:

.hack GU, anybody?

Most of your attacks can be guard-cancelled. For the big weapons, it's often best to hit block as soon as the first attack connects, and just keep repeating that. Hit-block-hit-block etc.

Unlike the original .hack games, there's a dedicated healer class. You only ever get one until the post-game of Redemption.

If you plan to 100% fill out the Ryu Books, you'll definitely want a guide. I'm not sure the rewards are worth it, but I was OCD enough to try it. It took forever.

There's a bunch more but I'm not sure what you'd want. Anything specific you want to know?

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Lord Nelson posted:

You are right- it is simply Might and Magic VII- sorry for the confusion-

A short way into the game, you have to visit some dwarves about getting a castle repaired. Getting the castle fixed starts a chain of timed events. So if you don't want to be rushed, go and do whatever side quests you want before that.

Arcomage is awesome.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
Anything special I need to know for Tales of the Abyss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

This was asked a couple pages ago.

Thanks. :)