Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
When I played the game at age 9, I believe wholeheartedly that Gau was the best character, since ya know, he could be any monster. Early on, he's ok because he can channel Magitek armor, which has some decent abilities.

But yeah, he is pretty useless after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

homerlaw posted:

Theres a free weekend of COD: Black Ops multiplayer coming up. Is there anything Vital I should know?

The reason COD's immensely popular is that it's not terribly complicated or nuanced. There's virtually no learning curve, aside from learning to check your corners & recognize the shade of brown that you enemy is wearing.

That being said, there are a few things you could do to optimize your free weekend...

-The underbarrel grenade launcher has been weakened significantly from MW2, so you can't ruin everyone's day with it. Now, it's just pretty good.

-The flamethrower underbarrel attachment, however, is absolutely terrible. For the cost, it is not worth it. Fun, but not worth the COD $$$. Same goes for the shotgun underbarrel attachment (I've seen pros use it very effectively, but probably not worth the $$$ over the weekend).

-The SAM turret killstreak reward is the best thing you can do for your team, as it takes out everything in the sky, short of a Blackbird. If you're playing with friends, they will love you for this.

-Makarov with extended magazine is the only pistol you could ever need. Don't bother with the rest.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Zedd posted:

AC1:
Once you learn counter grab use this a lot then once they are on the ground shank em with the hidden blade; this works especially well for the ending "bosses" since they throw a shitload of dureable guys at you that would otherwise take ages to kill.
- hidden blade counters are instakill but hard to time right, the second makes them a lot easier to use.

I would suggest taking some time, before getting to the ending, and mastering the timing on counters, especially the hidden blade counters, because you pretty much cannot get through the final bosses without using them.

If the ending areas prove too difficult or you keep getting your rear end handed to you for hours on end, feel free to just watch a video of the ending and move on to AC2, because it is a remarkably better game, in almost every single way.

AC1 is the most difficult of the series, but for reasons it shouldn't be (especially the ending). And since there's little to no save transfer stuff to AC2, there's no reason to bruise your thumbs over some poor game design.

Also, don't do any sidequest/flag-finding quests. They are as pointless as they come.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Enigma posted:

Any tips for Magicka? Without any DLC, if that makes a difference.

Play with a friend, as they can revive you when you die. Otherwise, try not to blow yourself up.

But you will anyways so don't cry over your own smoldering corpse.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Any tips for Cogmind?

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Capsaicin posted:

edit: also does the minimal not have a drat "north" marker?

I think it's the grey arrow, as opposed to the yellow arrows for objectives.

And chiming in with what others are saying about combat: I adore these games, the story and the world and the characters, even the mechanics and inventory drip with personality.

But holy hell, the combat in Witcher 2 is loosey-goosey nonsense. You can try all the suggested tactics and still get one-shotted by some random bandit, and have to wait through that long-rear end death animation and the slow rise of the "Load Saved Game" logo. Or, you can turn it down to easy, spam Quen & Aard, roll constantly, and slot some insta-kill runes into your swords ASAP. You'll still have some interesting monster & boss encounters, but the combat with mobs will be the appropriate level of trivial.

Then again, I did all of this so I could power through to the Witcher 3, after picking up and putting down 2 for close to a decade, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
And another for Elden Ring:

-If you've placed a blue marker on the map and can't find it to remove it from the map/compass, don't hunt for it! Just place five markers in one spot, then delete them - that'll remove all blue markers on your map & compass, and it takes seconds to do.