Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Zuffox posted:

Try to find some way to watch MGS3. I hated the game (loved MGS1), and there's a "watch as movie" on the Subsistence version anyway.

I liked MGS3 so much I'm torn between that and MGS4 as my favorite entry of the series. I mean all the games are phenomenal...but I loved the back history of Big Boss and I thought the setting of the game was great.

After playing MGS3 I have been desperately eager for a MG1 & MG2 (the outdoor sections of MG2 were great) remake but I'm not gonna hold my breath for that to happen.

Also I agree that you really need to at least understand the plot of MGS3 for MGS4 to have proper significance to you, or there will be some points in the game that will leave you very puzzled.

Gameplay wise, once you get to Act 5...stay to the left side of the deck of Outer Haven, it is impossible to advance into the ship if you are in alert, and once they find you, you pretty much cannot get out of alert mode, if you stay to the left the entire time and be patient taking out each guard one by one this shouldnt be as frustrating as it has been for some people. Also wait for the artillery fire to take out one of the Gekkos for you.

I think Act 5 is the toughest part of the game if you dont know how to play that section correctly.

McKracken fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Chairon posted:

It's not impossible, but god drat is it hard. It's pretty much blind luck to open that door while under fire from Gekkos and Frogs.

It's so tough that its not worth even trying if youre in alert. If you subdue all the guards that come your way the only thing you have to worry about is the Gekko, and if you wait for a couple of seconds once the 2 Gekko are in view one of them will be blown to bits by artillery shells. So than all you have to do is wait until the last Gekko turns around run to the door and mash the crap out of that button...and than you dont have to worry about alerts for the rest of the game.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

All Materia's level decides how often one can use it per battle. But All's usefulness drops anyway once you embrace Enemy Skill materia.

Enemy Skill White Wind is an all-heal btw with no need for All materia for full party healing.

Enemy skills in general are badass and allow earlier access to MP-Efficient 2.5 versions of spells. Beta=Fire2.5, Aqualung=Water2.5, Trine=Bolt2.5 multi all for about 25mp a pop vs. the 50 of Fire/Ice/Bolt3. Also, they don't nerf your stats, Enemy Skills is just all around awesome.

I think the materia in FF7 was the best use of magic/skill/tech in any jRPG that I have played. Enemy skills were awesome for the exact reasons you listed, but with all the possible choices and combos you could make with the slots in your armor and weapons your party could have some insanely powerful spells that were suitable for very specific functions.

With KoTR and W-summon and mime you could pretty much break the game.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

m2pt5 posted:

Moreso if you had a second KotR linked to MP Absorb and another character with Mime. MP Absorb restores more MP than KotR costs to cast, and Mime mimics the entire W-Summon for free. (And if anyone didn't get it, W-Summon = Double You Summon, or Double Summon.)

Yeah thats a potent combination. I don't think the magic in any FF game has been as good since FFVII. The summons in FFXII were totally useless to me and I didn't like the grid all that much in FFX, most of the spells were very vanilla and were the same thing seen in most other FF games.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Question about Fallout 3.

Is the intense training perk totally useless? It seems that there will probably be other ways to increase my attributes without using that as a perk everytime I level up.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Unstable Pants posted:

Intense training is actually pretty useful. There ARE ways to increase your SPECIAL stats, but any extra bonus is helpful. The perks to generally avoid are the skill-boosting perks. With Comprehension and the ungodly amount of books around the wasteland, you'll be able to boost your skills to 50 or above without even trying. I have a level 20 character with 3 skills at 100, 4 in the 90's, a couple more in the 70's/80's, and the rest around 50 or 60. Stat increases are MUCH harder to come by than skill increases.

Ah, okay thanks. Ok so avoid any perks that directly boost skills. Any other perks that are totally completely useless?

Also, about VATS. I have no problem depleting all the health in say, a super mutants right arm but it seems to have no real effect other than I am chipping away at his overall health.
Is there any advantage to picking apart limbs? I noticed one time using a grenade I took someones arm right off, so I know that its possible, is there anyway to replicate this with guns?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Ornamented Death posted:

Maybe he means Nemesis showed up in a room with a puzzle, and because he didn't have enough ammo to deal with Nemesis, he wasn't able to do the puzzle.

I don't recall that ever happening, though...

I haven't played RE3 in about 2-3 years or so but as far as I can remember there are very few times Nemesis just shows up and you have to either kill him or run. Most of the time his entrance is linked with a quick decision, the actions either result in the player escaping the area or committing an action which "kills" Nemesis for the time being. If he just shows up and you cannot kill him and you cant advance the plot without grabbing an item in the room you are in, grab that item and run away (it's not like he's gonna mug you for it or take it himself).

I still cant remember any instance where he "guards" a room with an item in it. He appears in the police station and you have to run away from him unless you have some heavy weapons from a previous playthrough and on some random streets depending on how you have played through the game. 99% of his other appearances are triggered after completing a puzzle or getting to a decision event or boss fights.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
One more Fallout 3 question.

Thanks for all the quite comprehensive answers to my last question, that cleared everything up.

I just want to know if for the trophies/achievements that are quest related, are all those quests required for playthrough or does completing some of them exclude others from being able to be completed in one playthrough. I'm planning to play through twice, one for good/bad karma character. Will that cover everything in terms of quests?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Pocket Billiards posted:

One instance where targetting legs is worthwhile - you can build a dart gun from schematics that does 1000HP damage to a leg. Which makes it easy in VATS to cripple both legs of melee enemy so that they move very slow, like the death claw especially or a super mutant with a sledgehammer.

"Strictly Business" is probably the only one to look out for on your evil playthrough. In doing other quests you can kill people essential to that one. Also, if you go exploring and fool around in the Jefferson Memorial you can prevent yourself from getting the achievement for the "Scientific Pursuits" quest like I did. So maybe you could read up on both these quests on fallout.wikia.com so you don't lose your chance to get them.

Also hoard all the nuka cola quantum you come across if you want to get all the quest achievements.

Many thanks. That's pretty much what I had to do with Oblivion because I was always afraid I was going to explore too far into an area before I was suppose to get there, altho I dont remember any specific instances of where it screwed up my game, but I had head about it happening.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I'm about to start Bioshock, yes I know I'm sort of late on getting around to this game. I've played SS2, so I guess I have that going for me since I've read Bioshock is pretty much a reskinned version of System Shock for the most part. I'm playing it on PS3 if that matters.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I'm trying to play Persona 4 and I was really liking the game until I got to the first dungeon...

Can someone give me some tips because if I die after spending another 2 hours replaying the dungeon for the 3rd time I'm going to punt my PS3.

I'm attacking whatever weaknesses I can but that doesn't seem to matter. Most enemy attacks do vicious amounts of damage and despite all the leveling I'm doing it doesn't seem to have any impact on either my defense or attack power. By the 5th floor of the drat castle I'm all out of healing items, revive items and stuff that restores soul points. Some of the enemies don't appear to have a weakness.

Am I doing something wrong or is the game just that loving hard because I don't have the patience for this.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

spamman5r posted:

Leveling Personas is a lovely way to gain stats in the game, fusing is the only way you'll make any real gains. This is especially true because the Main Character only gains HP and SP when he gains a character level.

I'm not trying to level for the sake of leveling, but it seems that despite level increases nothing really substantial happens in terms of character ability.

Dr.Snofeld posted:

That being said, you don't have to do the dungeons in one day, if you leave the dungeon you can return to the furthest floor you reached. You've got a week or more til you have to beat the dungeon boss. Go as far as you can before getting exhausted, run back to the entrance (or use a Goho-M), and come back another day to continue.

Fusing Personas is pretty helpful too. At that point you'll have Yosuke and Chie who use Wind and Ice techniques respectively, so try to fuse a Persona with Agi or Zio to cover the weaknesses. But more than that, getting a Persona with Resist Physical will be helpful for the miniboss of that dungeon. Don't be afraid to fuse Izanagi, he's not really important.
I'm on the last day of the rain currently, so I have no time to leave the dungeon and restock, I waited for two reasons.

A) No other RPG I have ever played in my entire history of video games, dating back to my first FF game in '90, has been anywhere near this difficult, so I expected to breeze through the first dungeon.
B) I spent the time doing social link activities because I could swear I read that was the most important thing to doing well in this game.

Also this is my first Persona game so I know next to nothing about fusing or how the Persona system really works, so I didn't go out of my way to fuse any, especially considering I only had like 3 of them before I started this dungeon. Are their stats translated into my stats? Like is the agility of the persona I have equipped my agility at the time?

Gerblyn posted:

Advice
It seems that only the really easy enemies have weaknesses. By the time I waste 2 or 3 turns figuring out what the weakness is I'm already near dead against some enemies, so I just resort to physical attacks, except that...physical attacks seem near pointless but I'd waste all my SP if I didn't use them.

I guess I shouldn't have left the entire dungeon for the last day. I had no idea it would be like this.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Everyone giving me advice posted:

All the advice

I guess the major problem is that never having played a Persona game before this, I went in with a somewhat cocky attitude assuming I would blow through the first dungeon without batting an eye like nearly every other RPG I have ever played.

So it seems that I should let the game reset itself a week, because I can't see how I'm going to finish this dungeon in the shape I'm currently in.

Salt Block Party posted:

You can basically think of your main character's personas as your Pokemon. Persona is a fancy version of Pokemon.

Ok, that makes sense. So the character assumes the stats of whatever Persona he has equipped at the moment.

Is it a major detriment not to max out all the available social links? I don't feel like playing this game with my face attached to Gamefaqs. I've already got most of the social links I have at the moment at level 3 or so. Is there any major bonus in increasing them all the way to 10?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Ok, this all makes sense to me now.

I wish the game had a slightly more robust tutorial for first timers, but oh well.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, I'm gonna try and do this the proper way and see how it goes.

e: Gah, one more thing I needed to ask...
Since I will be going back a week and obviously exploring the dungeon instead of doing all social activities, does that mean I will miss out on all those particular activities? Will I just experience them later in the game, or not at all?

Thanks again.

McKracken fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 9, 2009

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

spamman5r posted:

All of the social link level-up events are static. If you're going to level up from one level to the next, you'll see the same event in June as you would in November.

Ok, I figured that was the case but I obviously failed when I assumed the first dungeon would be a joke so I wanted to make sure.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

apekillape posted:

I started throwing everything in a wiki, as I've nothing else to do for a few hours and I've never made a wiki before. Suggestions?

http://www.drumandface.info/wsik/index.php/Main_Page

I still have to add another 47 pages of posts, link the pages to relevant categories (like what console, especially), figure out why it's not working as a subdomain, maybe add a screenshot to pretty up the pages, etcetera.

Should I keep going? Is the format for the pages alright? Is this milk still good?

I can't believe I didn't think of this as someone who is a serial wiki addict.

I think its great, especially if you're like me and you want to be aware of the basic do's/dont's of a game (or for knowing that thing you absolutely should or absolutely should not do but would have never known about it without prior knowledge) but hate using strategy guides or regularly consulting gamefaqs.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's good to tell people trying out X-Com that they ought to skip their first turn so they don't get slaughtered on their way out of the sub. Also, it's good to warn newbies that certain research can make the game unwinnable.

I've never played X-Com so I obviously don't know anything about how the research works in that game, but how the hell could certain options make it unwinnable? Is it something akin to the totally broken leveling system in Oblivion?

Also, should I get my hands on a copy of X-Com, I've never heard anything but praise for it.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

GeneralFai posted:

That one down in the water is easy to miss; if you miss it while trying for the "brass balls" achievement, you might wonder why the battle is taking an hour and a half...

That happened to me on my survivor/no vita run. He was the most difficult/longest boss in the game for me. Although the first big daddy is a bitch too.

Later in the game, pretty much anything electrical is win against the Big Daddies, whether its the plasmid, shotgun, the gel or the trip wires. I would alternate electric buck with an RPG or two or the explosive shells and I never really had trouble with them.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Additionally, you get bonuses in 2 and 3 for having cleared or nearly-cleared save files on the memory card.

Yeah the bonus weapons from previous games are a nice touch. I'm hoping they do something like this with Crack in Time.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Salt Block Party posted:

When you're on the cape in 12000 BC don't fight the boss when he asks you to.

When you get the ability to open those sealed doors and chests, don't open any chests you see in 600 or 1000 AD. Instead first go to 600 AD, use the chest, and when it asks you to open it say no. Then go to 1000 AD and open the same chest and the item that was inside earlier will get improved to a more powerful version. Then, if you want, you can go back to 600 AD and get the lesser item.

When the person in 12000 BC asks you if she should burn the plant or not say no.

Use the L A R A buttons to save Lucca's mom.

This just reminded me of how much I love/miss/wish I had time to replay Chrono Trigger.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

apekillape posted:

I only mention it like every 10 pages, I'm self-conscious about seeming needy, haha. I'm currently at page 36 or so, hope to get caught up to the current page by the end of the week. Then the exciting categorizing and prettying up starts.

You should get a medal for this.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Fray Joker posted:

Okay, this is a bit of a strange request. But I'm looking for some very specific Okami advice.

Recently a friend and I played through all of Twilight Princess with her manning the remote, and myself using the nun-chuck. In short it was a blast and we're looking for our next fix and I think I found it in Okami. Is there any particular aspect of the game that would prevent a play-through in this style? (for instance, a lot of the advanced sword techniques in Zelda were practically impossible playing like this. It was still playable but made monsters like darknuts much much harder)

I played Okami's original release on the PS2, so I'm not sure how it controls on the Wii, however I would imagine Okami will be significantly more difficult than Zelda to play in the manner you described. Just about all of the brush techniques you learn are essential to use at some point and some of them are finicky (PS2 version) and depending on how the controls are split up it might be fairly tough. Also not that Okami is hard by any means, but I thought the difficulty in TP was laughingly easy.

Okami was a great game, I would just play it solo...unless someone with experience on the Wii version thinks playing the game the way you want to wont make it miserable.

If you're after a fun co-op experience, as disappointing as the overall game was for me, RE5 was the most fun I've ever had with a friend in a co-op setting.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Demon's Souls just came in the mail so I'm planning on getting into that tonight. What are the things I should definitely know before starting up a game?

My only major concern is I've heard if someone is enough of a spiteful dick they can enter your game as a black phantom and screw you out of loot from certain enemies or some such similar thing.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Random Hajile posted:

Not true. When you're in body form, players within 10 levels of you (at first, the range expands eventually) *can* break into your game to try to murder you, but under most circumstances, the worst they can do is cause you to drop the unspent souls you have on hand and/or bang up your equipment. They can't steal items found on the ground (unless you drop them out of your inventory or fail to pick them up due to encumberance) or kill your non-hostile NPCs. And even if they defeat you, you can recover the souls you dropped as long as you can make it to where you died before dying again.

What I specifically read was that black phantoms can attack some sort of certain enemy which drops special loot and then take that item drop for themselves.

I was just wondering if that's a hypothetical situation or if people will actively do that sort of thing.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

e: nvm info was in the wiki

McKracken fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 17, 2009

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

sewersider posted:

Any hints and tips for Resident Evil 1 (GC-Wii Port version)?

There is a certain enemy that cannot be killed until a certain point late in the game (you will know when). Just RUN when you encounter the blasted thing up until that point, don't waste your ammo.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Since the wiki is not working, I need some advice for Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Trauma Center Second Opinion, and Phantom Brave We Meet Again.

For RE:UC

The game is definitely initially balanced for two players, and it is certainly fun that way, but once you get good you can definitely run through solo without a problem. Being able to perform well solo is essential if you're going for S ranking to unlock the extras, with kills split between two players its almost impossible to get S or A ranks in those categories.

Don't underestimate the pistol, it is capable of one-hitting zombies if you aim for the top of their head, the cross-hair changes to indicate you're aiming for a critical shot.

If you see any suspicious looking doors, shoot them, you can gain access to hidden areas.

Shoot pretty much everything. There are health items and ammo hidden behind breakable objects. Also some files are hidden too.

Always manually reload when there isn't any action. You don't want to have to reload in the middle of an intense sequence.

McKracken fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 25, 2009

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Just got Dino Crisis from the PSN. What should I be aware of? I've got hours upon hours of experience with the PS era RE titles but this is my first time with Dino Crisis.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
So is the wiki gone forever?

blackguy32 posted:

I havent finished yet but from what I have played. Dont be afraid to mix the poo poo you have together. It frees up space and gets you better items. I have come across numerous items that I couldnt pick up because my inventory was full.

Also, I have run past most of the dinosaurs. When you walk into a room, even if the dinosaur is right in front of you, it wont react immediately which gives you time to get to where you are going. It really isnt worth it to kill them since they soak up tons of ammo

I'm halfway into my second playthrough now and I would agree that avoiding 99% of the enemies is the way to go. If there's not a lot of space to dodge, or I'm sandwiched I'll use darts but that's about it. Also it seems that dinosaurs respawn in certain rooms which makes killing them the first time even more useless.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Any tips for Way of the Samurai 3. I played the original and I'm familiar with the concept but any new additions I should be aware of? Any things I want to avoid as to not gently caress the game up?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Policenaut posted:

Okay, I've been wanting to get into Castlevania for a long drat time now. I bought Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles for my PSP Go and fell in love with it, but there's so many Castlevania games I don't know which ones to play and which to avoid.

My experience with Castlevania is literally Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood, that's it. What should I be playing? I talked to some people and they all just said "1 through 4" but I'd like some other opinions just in case.

Thanks for the Samurai tips, as for Castlevania, here are my thoughts.

I seem to remember people complaining about it at the time of release, but I really enjoyed Castlevania 64. Not sure what the consensus is looking back on the game, but if you still have a N64 laying around, and you can find the special edition (Legacy of Darkness) I'd give it a go.

If you're looking more for the 2D side scrolling, Super Castlevania is your best choice besides the games you've already played. Also I enjoyed Castlevania III if for nothing else than its non-linearity. I can't say anything about the GBA or DS games.

If you want 3D and you don't want to go the C64 route, you have Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness for the PS2. If you liked SotN you will probably like Curse of Darkness, it's got a similar concept (non-whip character) and the level layout is similar in style to SotN, just 3D. Lament of Innocent was alright, but it was sort of a DMC clone and at this point unless you're really starved for Castlevania games there's not much reason to play it over the other options.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

SpazmasterX posted:

Call Sigint when you're using the shirtless camo and/or when you're in a box.

This is the best advice for this game. MGS3 has the most clever easter-eggs and self-spoofing humor out of any game of the series. There are numerous radio conversations that range from weird shock to outright laughter.

The discussions with Para-medic when you save are pretty compelling too if you have even the slightest interest in movies.

As Spazmaster said, try to stamina kill all the bosses (and hold up The End), especially on your first playthrough. The camo you gain will make your next playthrough a lot more fun/easy.

Also make sure you stamina kill The End as well as holding him up. It gets you a sniper rifle that fires tranq darts which can be very useful for later on in the game.

If you are using the tsuchinoko method to get infinite ammo, make sure you kill every single other animal in the area or you will suffer major frustration. Use thermal goggles and the radar to confirm the area is free of animals (obviously you should remove all guards as well.)

Also, at least for your first time, don't beat The End with the cheese method of setting the system clock forward (or killing him at the dock). It is perhaps one of the most engaging and enjoyable boss fights ever and you would be robbing yourself of a great experience by exploiting the alternate methods of fighting him.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

mystery at hog island posted:

I wouldn't want to fight a chainsaw guy at this point unless you're in new game+ with all your upgraded guns.

That's half the fun of the first encounter. Pissing yourself while running away wondering how you're gonna kill him.

Facing overpowered enemies is the only tense/scary part left to the RE series, you might as well enjoy what little of it exists.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Morpheus posted:

Resident Evil was never, ever scary. Maybe as a child, yes. But the game has always been corny as hell with poor graphics and the only thing that made the game tense was the design choice to give you a peashooter and three bullets for every ten zombies.

The first few games have significantly more tense moments in them than either RE4/5. Where's the fun/challenge in avoiding a certain enemy until you are so overpowered that one shot from any of your weapons will annihilate him. Once RE4 came around and you started tripping over grenades and ammunition it became nearly devoid of any tension, except for the sparse moments when you face difficult enemies.

Why bother playing the game if you're just going to avoid the difficult parts.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Nate RFB posted:

Given your initial equipment, that first chainsaw enemy is more of a massive annoyance than anything scary. Though it's probably worth doing it at least once so you can see Leon get decapitated.

Once you get a hang on the control style the chainsaw guy is pretty simple. Just keep hitting his kneecaps and melee. Run if needed. It isn't that hard, and there are 1 or 2 defensible locations to book it too if you mess up and take too much damage.

RE4 is by far the least challenging game of the series, or it was until 5 came along. I'm looking forward to the next title where each enemy will be wearing a hat with dynamite duct-taped to the top and ammo will just fall out of the sky when you're running low.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, there's a lake with a bunch of fish in it. Just keep shooting them until they stop spawning, you'll get a ton of money and healing stuff.

Also before you venture out onto this lake, just get in a nice position on the dock and just shoot the water a bit.

Definitely save before hand.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Dr Snofeld posted:

The wiki says the best weapons are the Red9 (which I now have), Striker shotgun and semi-auto rifle. Is this true of the Wii version too? Is the TMP less poo poo in the Wii version than the PS2 version?

All the guns have their pro's/con's...except for the Handcannon and Chicago Typewriter which are both totally perfect and amazing, but that's not relevant.

You should outright ignore the TMP and Mine Launcher. Statistically the Striker is the best shotgun (it's capacity is insane) but I played through the game multiple times with a fully upgraded Riot Gun and had no problems. All the guns when fully upgraded are totally capable. The Red9 is powerful but reloads painfully slow compared to some of the other handguns.

Honestly it will come down to what attributes you value more highly...and obviously how cool the guns look. RE4 is criminally easy on its normal difficulty level, your tactics in confronting and dealing with enemies are a lot more important than the guns you have (exception being the base handgun/shotgun which do admittedly suck.)

As long as you keep upgrading, any handgun/rifle(semi)/shotgun will be adequate for 99% of the game provided you know how and when to use them.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Halloween Jack posted:

The only thing that made Resident Evil 2 difficult or scary was the terrible design that did not allow me to tilt my aim 20 degrees upward to shoot a slowly advancing zombie in the face instead of the chest at point-blank range.

More refined aiming wouldn't really mean much at all. The point is that it takes a couple of bullets to down a zombie, so don't go about killing every single enemy needlessly. A lot of people gripe about this but I fail to see how encouraging the player to be discriminate with ammo usage is terrible design. If you don't like that don't play survival horror games, load up Quake or Doom.

quote:

Also, early Resident Evils were scary because you had to avoid baddies instead of taking them head-on, but if you want RE4 to be scary you should wade into masses of bad guys with guns blazing. Got it.
I have a friend who insists that RE4 "isn't really a Resident Evil game, it's Leon's Big Adventure." My only retort thus far has been "Your mom was Leon's big adventure," perhaps you could provide me with a more constructive rebuttal?

Early RE games were tense because of how underpowered the player is compared to nearly every enemy you face, and the fact that you have limited resources. Even 1 or 2 zombies can damage you just as bad as a boss could if you're careless. In RE4/5 the player is dramatically more resilient and much more offensively capable. Additionally, the difficulty level of all but a few enemies was not scaled proportionately to the increase in player ability. So now that most enemies don't pose a significant threat, the only truly "scary" or tense moments are when you have to face an enemy that is yet stronger than your player.

RE4 really isn't a RE game. Of course it's got the same characters, story, etc, but that's it. I am not for a second condemning the design choice to give players free aim, over the shoulder camera, etc. However there is absolutely zero "survival horror" to be found. Ammo and healing items are found everywhere, enemies are easy to dispatch and prove to be of little threat.

The control mechanics introduced were a great idea. Removing fetch-quests was also a good idea. Removing any last shred of difficulty was a decisively poor one.

That's not to say it's a bad game, it's just not at all what a survival horror game is or should be.

e: RE5 takes the concept of increasing player ability while enemies maintain status quo to ridiculously high levels. Demon's Souls is more survival horror than RE4 or 5 were.

McKracken fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 1, 2010

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Lockback posted:

I played RE1 for 15 minutes before realizing "Whoa, I better not waste ammo."

I was also 14 at the time. Wasn't that hard. Not all games are supposed to hand hold you. RE1 was legitimately tough, and you could end up in a situation where you had to backtrack or even restart. Its not bad design, not every game will guarantee the player victory regardless of their choices.

Sometimes when you play chess, you find yourself at a point where you will likely lose no matter what moves you make from that point on.
Yeah, I was about 12 when I first played RE and I got brutalized on my first attempt and then I figured it out. It's really not hard, and granted how rare anything but handgun ammo is, they make it pretty evident not to waste it. Also I just looked at the manual for RE:3 and literally the first 5 words in the tips section are "Learn to use weapons efficiently..." Below that is "...RUN AWAY."

quote:

On topic, anyone have any general tips for Borderlands. Didn't see it in the Wiki. Its not too hard, but a "how to get the most out of it" would be nice. Is one class more fun than any others?

I just finished my playthrough. It's near impossible to miss any of the optional missions. Anytime they're available a Claptrap will message you telling you who to talk to.

A good sniper rifle is really helpful, as for the other guns you can't really go wrong, and since all the treasure is randomized you might get a really badass combat rifle and decide to use that prevalently instead of an SMG. Just have something for long distance and something with burst fire and a high fire rate.

A shotgun dropped by one the first major bosses is pretty useful for at least 75% of the game.

Everything else is pretty obvious, and it's really impossible to miss anything. I used the Siren for my playthrough, the abilities you can spend points on make her near invincible towards the end-game.

e:

Brewing Tea posted:

If getting six hours into the game before realizing that you were supposed to have been saving your ammo (because you've gotten to a boss that is impossible to beat with your current inventory) is their way of "encouraging" you to be more conservative, then I'm going to go out on a limb and call that bad design.
Not to be a dick, but there are loads of people who have completed the games, at least RE1-CV with either the knife only, or knife + handgun. That's obviously not how the game is meant to be played, but it's proof that the game is beatable, even if you have not a single bullet left.

McKracken fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I'm not saying it's feasible for a first time playthrough, unless you want to reload your save 1000x times until you've perfected the technique, just that it is possible to finish the game in that manner.

But really, the whole point is that you should be well aware of the fact you need to conserve ammo and save very often if you're not very confident in your abilities. This just seems like basic game 101 stuff to me. Especially considering the game informs you of this in the manual.