Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

DontDateRobots! posted:

Started playing Mass Effect, and while I'm enjoying it a lot I also feel like I'm missing a lot of things. Right now, I'm on the Citadel (just rescued the quarian from the assassins)I've been making it a point to explore as much as I can, and talk to everyone as much as possible. I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to be focusing on in the beginning.

I remember seeing someone advise to get the Rich achievement ASAP... any hints on how to acquire that much money? So far I only have about 1500 credits. I'm assuming I'll find some easy way of gathering more cash later?

Which is the best way to go? Paragon, Renegade, or somewhere in between? Can you earn points in one without it canceling out the other? Do those attributes actually do anything other than add conversation options?

Who should I have in my party? Do I want a balance of all three main classes, or does it not matter so much? Right now, I've got the human girl, the turian, and Shepard is an adept... Will I run in to any problems?

Any other advice?

1) Dont worry about getting the Rich achievement, it will come with time. AS you level up, the equipment that enemies carry gets better and you can sell it and be swimming with money. Just keep playing. Besides, that stuff makes the game really easier.

2) Its your choice whether you go paragon, renegage, or a mixture of both. It doesn't matter which way you go and the game is made for that. You do get charm or intimidate points based off of how many paragon and renegade points you have though. Also, I would keep a adept in your party. You get one soon enough. Also, you should keep someone in your party that can either decrypt or knows electronics so you can open stuff.

You dont really need an adept in your party, but it sure makes the game a bit easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

DontDateRobots! posted:

Since I've got that base covered with Shepard, do you think I'm all right with the girl and the Turian? Or should I bring along someone else with adept skills? He's got a mix of combat and tech, and she's all combat.

Is it possible to screw myself over on a mission by saying the wrong thing? I'm always afraid to do the Renegade option, as half the time what Shepard says is a billion times more needlessly bitchy than I expected. There was some random guy in the Citadel markets, and by the second response I pissed him off and he disappeared. He's still listed in the journal under assignments saying I should talk to him, but I can't find him anywhere.

Thanks for the help!

You should be fine with the Turian and Ashley. And in some parts in the game, yes your words have actions to them. Just put either all of your points into charm or all of your points into intimidate, and you can breeze through 95% of all situations. Don't mix and match points in the categories too much. Also, if one of your characters asks you to retrieve armor for them, do it.

Also, is this the mission that you get from C-sec? I think you have to talk to your contact in C-sec again to progress.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Lockback posted:

Looking at picking up Valkyrie Chronicles after reading some great reviews. Anyone have any tips thus far?

Scouts are your best friend, they can cross huge sections of the battlefield but they are terribly weak at defense.

Don't fully load up the battlefield with units from the get go. A good plan is to have a few scouts and some shocktroopers to start with and then capture a enemy camp so you can deploy your real force. If you do it the other way, you are going to be wasting CP on units that take forever to keep up.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Anyone got tips for Resident Evil 2 for the Dreamcast? I'm having a hell of a time keeping my inventory well managed. Right now I have three objects that are probably gonna be used for puzzles, a small key and my knife, gun, ammo, etc, so I can't pick up an item I need to finish a puzzle. Apparently theres no drop item option, and I have no items I can use to get rid of. I'm in the Police Station, is there somewhere to store items I just overlooked or something, and will I have to be running back and forth to storage places a lot for puzzles?

1) You can get through the very first section of the game barely using any ammo and killing any zombies. Do it.

2) Ditch the knife the first chance you get. The only game it is useful in is Code Veronica where you can get through a large portion of the game using only it.

3)leave small keys in storage boxes unless you know what you are going to unlock with it.

4)There are boxes that look like chests that you can store stuff in, they are usually in save rooms

5)Ammo is pretty rare starting out, but after a while, you will have tons of the stuff.

6)certain zombies can be and should be left alone. If you are in a big area, just run around them. I usually always kill lickers though. Dogs are your discretion. They are usually idling about and you can safely run past them if you know where you are going.

7)Check the bodies of people laying around. They usually have ammo and stuff on them.

Most important to remember is that once you go through the game the first time, it becomes piss easy to go through the second time because you know what is where, where all the ammo is, when you can use your ammo, and you will know what you need to bring before you get to the actual puzzle.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ashmole posted:

I killed Alice or whatever her name using that.There was no ammo anywhere and you couldn't head backwards because some door was locked.

I'm surprised I managed to kill her too. Whenever you hit her,her blood would turn to fire on the ground;man,I got lucky.

You got really lucky, because its a instant kill if she grabs you.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Jagtpanther posted:

I'm getting a PS3 for X-mas and am getting it with two games - so, what do I need to know for Valkyria Chronicles and/or Little Big Planet? Though I imagine the thread is applicable for the former more than the latter!

For Valkyria Chronicles

1)Try to get your soldiers to level 11 as soon as possible, since you get elite status. Level up your scouts first so they get rifle grenades, then do your shocktroopers and then your snipers.

2)Abusing orders makes some sections of the game piss easy.

3)Always take Rosie, Largo, and Alicia since they give you extra CP to use.

4)Take as few members into a mission as possible. Don't bring in additional units til you capture a field camp. You don't want to bring in a Sniper at the beginning of a mission and find that he is lagging behind everyone else due to their low AP.

5)Chapter 7 will test you, but its not that difficult. Make sure that you keep your units away from the upper right corner of the map (I think that's it)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ashmole posted:

Ugh yeah. I remember telling myself that I wouldn't restart the entire game because of one gently caress up. It took me a few days to do this...sucked.

BTW,in my experience, I would NOT recommend ditching the knife if you're a first timer. You're more likely to blow through ammo and therefore have no weapon to fight back. Your only other melee attack is a push that requires you to get attacked first. Also, ammo does not respawn in the older RE games; you have to make do with whats there which,in my opinion,makes it far superior to the newer ones due to the true survival essence.

I disagree. Using the knife when its your first time is liable to get you killed. It makes you do stupid moves that you won't even need to do. In RE1, its bad to keep it since you get so little ammo anyways, but in RE2, its bad to keep because zombies do so little damage provided you push the buttons fast enough. Actually, Code Veronica and the RE for the Ds are the only games that I recommend keeping the knife for, because in both of them, its possible that if you use the knife smart enough and learn how to run from things, you can easily have shitloads of ammo by the end of the game.

Resident Evil 2 gives you shitloads of ammo by the end of teh game anyways.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Scalding Coffee posted:

Any tips on Front Mission 3 for someone who can't get Front Mission 1 out of his head?

What are the needed hints I should know about Disgaea, without reading every page? Any tips on reducing the overall grind?

Load up your Wanzers with 1 slot battle skills so they can combo endlessly. I use ROF1up since Ryogo can learn it with his default Wanzer. Then watch as he combos 2 or 3 hit about 60-70% of the time.

Also when you get the P beam gun, put it on someone with the AP 30% battle skill with a computer with a high activation rate and watch as it activates every turn allowing you to fire it every turn provided you don't move too much.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

tokyosexwale posted:

I'll assume from your hints that the game isn't completely inane in telling you when to do these things. Or are they one of those things that you have to completely stop the plot and go scouring the town at a certain time or you're screwed. If it's the former that's fine, like you said half the fun is figuring out the puzzles, but if they're those where you need to be telepathic or the developer to figure out scenarios, screw that.

So all hard modes does is make enemies infinitely respawn, and lowers the ammo pickup rate? No harder puzzles or stuff like that? Screw that if so, the last thing Silent Hill needs is more enemies to fight. The combats is horrible enough as is. I was hoping hard mode just made stuff more scarce and the puzzles more complex. drat.

It is really easy to skip the one dealing with Annie's Bar, but the other one you will find an item and ask yourself what the hell you can use it for and then you will approach a room and just be like.... oh.
But yeah, I have missed out on the first one once and had to reload a save to go back to it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Scalding Coffee posted:

Easy mode doubles your ammo pickup and others make it normal. If you beat the easy game and start over at normal or normal then hard (you are locked in difficulty), you get a bonus multiplier in ammo pickups (maybe up to 9X). Some enemies in places do respawn often in easy mode as far as I can tell, with the headless bears sneaking up on me in the sewers.

Silent Hill 3 does hard mode much better by adding steps to puzzles.

Yeah, but Silent Hill 3 has two difficulties, a combat difficulty and a puzzle difficulty.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Secret Ooze posted:

I just bought myself Dead Rising, and am kind of overwhelmed a little.

I just finished fighting Carlito in the food court, then was promptly overtaken by a gigantic crowd of zombies.

Any tips?

Don't be afraid to start over.
You can't save everyone and wont be able to until you are lvl 40+
Dont bother using guns until they are in abundance near the end of the 2nd or is it 3rd day? (youll know when you get to this part)
Killing Adam gives you away around the Convicts.

Kent sucks. Kick his face in whenever you are goofing off and not playing seriously

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Coffee Jones posted:

I'm replaying the original SNES Breath of Fire*, and it's charming, but has a Final Fantasy Mystic Quest level of simplicity. It has a few large areas and mazes to get lost in, so you wind up grinding your way into making uber characters.
I never noticed ZSNES having a speed menu option, letting you set the game to play at 15x speed at the press of a button on the gamepad. drat, these older RPGs are repetitive.

So, what's the best of the Breath of Fire series?

* while my Xbox and PS3 collect dust. WTF.

I really like Dragon Quarter, but that might as well not be a Breath of Fire game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

sexual rickshaw posted:

I know some tips for Front Mission 3 were posted earlier in this thread, but does anyone have a bit more in depth tips/answers?

Upgrade whenever you can. This will be the key thing that separates you from the enemy. They may outnumber you, but you will get access to the upgrades levels before the CPU will.

Go after units with grenade launchers first, you don't want them loving up your squad. Thankfully there are relatively few in the whole game.

Choosing whether you go with Ryogo or don't go with Ryogo at the beginning of the game will completely change the storyline (its where the scenarios split off). Personally I enjoy Alisa's scenario more (don't go with Ryogo). Its shorter, but it really feels like there is less filler in it. Plus I think the ending was better.

Don't mess with Hover legs. For the most part, their worthless.

Equip a shield on everyone. Its a godsend against highly damaging attacks like melee and missiles.

You can spread out your guys in terms of weaponry, or you can just give everyone machineguns and go at it. I would advise leaving your missile person alone, they are good for long range.

Arm Smash is probably one of the most valuable skills in the whole game. When it activates, it will ALWAYS destroy the left arm of the enemy and as long as the enemy only has one weapon, it will be in their left arm, leaving your enemy without a valid offense other than a crappy hardblow.

Its not a hard game, its actually the game that got me into strategy RPGs, but it does have its tough areas. I think I already mentioned that chaining battle skills will probably be your most valuable asset.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Swiss Army Knife posted:

^^^^

That's a good point. Don't spend ANY money until you get 1 million. You get enough gear from enemies to last that long, and once you build up that much money you unlock the minor versions of the best weapons in the game which are head and shoulders above anything else you would have bought.

No, definitely spend your money, but once you level up to a certain point, you start getting better weapons that gives you shitloads of money once you sell it back, so you will get the achievement easily once you get past a certain level.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

magikid posted:

Resident Evil 5. I've played this a lot with others, but I'm working on my own file single player, and I've heard mostly terrible things about the AI partner. Is there a certain way to play that'll make her tolerable and not gently caress up the game for me?

Its all about the weapon you give her. Keep her away from the stun rod, and give her a pistol and a rifle and go to town.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Wins7ow posted:

I've had Silent Hill 2 sitting around for years, and I think I might give it another shot.

From what i remember the combat was really terrible, just me swinging a plank of wood at some torso doubleleg things and getting bored of the fog and all the damned locked doors in a hotel.

Any tips? Is this game still worth it? I went through the first pyramid head encounter and all i felt was boredom and mild frustration.

If you don't like all the locked doors in the hotel then realize that almost every place you visit is going to have craploads of them. I think the good news is that James turns his head to look at doors that are capable of being opened.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

So I got Fallout 3. I have mainly just been wandering around doing the Survival Guide missions stuff. I am level 8 now. Is there a best time to start actually trying to advance the plot? Also, will I need to start pulling up a second combat skill, right now I have solely been using Small Guns. Will my shotgun eventually fail me?

Honestly, I didn't do the main quest until after I was level 20. All I will say is

Avoid Bob Casey's garage, and avoid talking to Dr. Li in Rivet City. Doing these will skip sections of the main quest.

Also, do the GNR quest ASAP if you want to listen to GNR across the wasteland. Small Guns will definitely get you through the game quite easily. That and energy weapons I think are the most useful skills in terms of fighting.

You may also want to advance the quest up to the point after you clear out the Jefferson Memorial because you get new enemies to fight in the Wasteland.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Orvin posted:

Bionic Commando is on its way from Gamestop. Anything I should know? About the only thing I remember from reviews is that the pistol sucks.

The combat sucks until you unlock moves with your arm, I don't know why they didn't have them from the start.

You hold down the fire button to lock on

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

snolly posted:

Alright, I'm starting Persona 3: FES and I probably won't get around to properly getting into it for a few days cos I'm terrible at managing time when it comes to games, so any advice?. Not entirely sure if it's been in this thread, read the entire thing but my memory is awful. I've played P4 so I'm not entirely new to the series.

Also if anyone wants to comment on Dragon Quest VIII too, that's on my to-play list as well!

-Find a few social links you like and stick to them until they are maxed out.
-Go to Tartarus at least once a week
-Register your personas every chance you get and fuse them whenever you can, but make sure you have a persona of each element.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Any tips for The World Ends with You?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

So, I couldn't really think of what other thread to ask this in, but I might as well here. What should I know before playing games on this system for the first time (in forever)?

I'm getting back into Playstation 1 gaming for the first time in 7ish years. I've played a lot of the classics (SotN, Final Fantasy VII-IX, FFT, etc.) but what are some of the overlooked gems and what should I know about them? I've got Tales of Destiny, Suikoden 1 and 2, Tomba, and Alundra. What other games (preferably RPG, Adventure, or Platformer) should I be looking for?

Vanguard Bandits is an interesting Strategy RPG that really hooked me
Front Mission 3 is a Strategy RPG thats really fun as well
Ape Escape blew me away as a platformer because I remember thinking it would be medicore and it ended up being one of my favorite platformers
Wild Arms I hear is pretty good
Megaman X4-X5 are decent.

Its really hard to name overlooked PSone games because most of them worth anything were played a shitload, even if they weren't massively popular.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

al-azad posted:

About to play Mass Effect. Tried it for 30 minutes before but now I have serious time to sit down and finish it. Thinking about playing that engineer/psion mix class because playing straight up warrior characters in RPGs is super boring to me.

Tips?

Try to get over a million credits ASAP. Since it gives you access to Spectre weapons. You don't really have to rush it due to the way loot scales with your level but once you get a high enough level, it will be easy to get money.

Do the Dig Site, Feros and the Noveria, since Noveria has a pretty difficult boss battle.

Always zoom when using the Mako. It allows you to aim the turret lower than you normally would be able to.

Also, Make sure you either max out either the paragon or renegade skill for speech. Don't mix and match them. Do one or the other. Also, if Wrex ever gives a quest to find something from his family, do it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

french lies posted:

Picked up Resident Evil 5 today, was hoping some of you could give me some tips for combat, ammo management... anything really. This is my first Resident Evil game so I'm not really familiar with what is expected from the player.

Go hogwild with shooting. The game pretty mcuh gives you ammo based on what you need. Although its harder to get ammo for the better weapons. If you are playing with AI, don't give Sheva any of your good stuff since she will waste alot of stuff.

Try to play online. What system do you have it for?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

french lies posted:

PS3, not hooked up to the internet yet but hopefully I'll get a connection sorted out tomorrow. But, won't people get annoyed if I haven't played the game before and don't know what to do?

Im pretty sure a goon will help you out. I would but I have it on 360. I havent played online in a while because Im afraid that online is full of infinite ammo whores that really don't play for the challenge.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

Playing through the game, if you lean heavily enough on a single weapon or ability such as assault rifle or lift to get 150 kills with it, you van use that ability on your next character regardless of class restrictions.

You can cheat it as well. There is one mission where you have to find an item, and you find out that monkeys have taken it. So what I did was saved at the beginning of the mission laid waste to all of the monkeys with an assault rifle with my infiltrator, and then reloaded my save until I had 150 kills. It unlocks the achievement and then you can use it on new characters.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Necc0 posted:

I just downloaded Hitman: Blood Money on Steam. What should I know?

You can exploit the game AI by using the coin. Also, the game becomes pathetically easy once you realize you can put people in a human shield and knock them out that way.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

McKracken posted:

Demon's Souls just came in the mail so I'm planning on getting into that tonight. What are the things I should definitely know before starting up a game?

My only major concern is I've heard if someone is enough of a spiteful dick they can enter your game as a black phantom and screw you out of loot from certain enemies or some such similar thing.

Take your time. Its a very methodical game. Its a hard game. I think you should experience it and then ask questions when you're stuck though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

McKracken posted:

Just got Dino Crisis from the PSN. What should I be aware of? I've got hours upon hours of experience with the PS era RE titles but this is my first time with Dino Crisis.

I havent finished yet but from what I have played. Dont be afraid to mix the poo poo you have together. It frees up space and gets you better items. I have come across numerous items that I couldnt pick up because my inventory was full.

Also, I have run past most of the dinosaurs. When you walk into a room, even if the dinosaur is right in front of you, it wont react immediately which gives you time to get to where you are going. It really isnt worth it to kill them since they soak up tons of ammo

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Bloodcider posted:

I just got Far Cry 2, on 360, and I've put a bunch of hours into it already but I feel like I've just started the scrape the surface, so maybe it's not too late for some beginner's advice?
I think I've done 3 APL(?) missions, and now one for the UFLL and I got an achievement for switching sides. I also did missions for the arms dealer until he stopped showing up. My current loadout is the Dragunov, RPG, and Colt 45 since I like picking people off from far away, and then blowing them up.

Any pointers?

Buy the accuracy and reliability upgrades. Avoid the vehicle upgrades. Also, choosing the Bar or church makes very little difference.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Vander posted:

How about some advice for a slew of Wii games I got for Christmas: Anything I should know about The Conduit, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, or Resident Evil 0?

In Resident Evil Zero, take the hookshot with you after the train crashes.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Im not gonna lie. I cheated my way through Resident Evil Zero with an action replay, and I still felt like the game was a pile of poo poo. I cant imagine how it would be doing it legit.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Any advice for Dark Cloud 2?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Anything I should know for Assassin's Creed II? I picked it up at the Best Buy sale.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

How about Septerra Core? I bought it off of GOG last week and its pretty fun.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

About to start Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. Any tips?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Lucifa posted:

Any tips for Hitman: Blood Money?

I've never really played any of the Hitman games before and I struggled with this one when I played it last.
I got past the first tutorial/mission easy enough as it tells you what to do and how to kill the people you encounter but after that in the next level (some sort of winery?) I was stuck - I guess I'm just not psychopathic enough to figure out ingenious ways of killing people.

You can break the game by using the coin to distract guards.

If you don't have any sedatives, then you can grab people as human shields and knock them out that way.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Okay, I am about to get back into Morrowind again.

What is the best way to run faster? Because my god, my character runs so slow. Is there a way I can level up athletics really fast? How do I get more fatigue (stamina)?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

elf help book posted:

I'm getting Saboteur in the mail soon, is anything missable in that game or can I just play however and worry about that at the end?

Just make sure you stealth kill the 5 generals early in the game, because it is actually possible to kill all of them off.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Jolo posted:

I've played through MGS a million times, but I've never not grabbed the pistol from the truck or the goggles from the hangar. I had no idea that it was in other spots also. It's crazy to still be learning new stuff about that game this many years later.

There is actually a different cinematic that happens when you meet Meryl if you don't have the Socom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

How about Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter?

When should I use my Party XP? When I lose and start over?
What combos should I be using?