Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I know someone posted about Resident Evil 4 awhile ago but I'd like to ask again. I bought the Gamecube version awhile ago but I couldn't get past the controls. Now the Wii version, which everyone said was an improvement in the controls department, is cheap so I picked it up. Things are better but I'm still confounded by the controls . . . the lack of sidestep, the awkward movement . . . Why is it like this? Is there something about it that I'm just not understanding/appreciating?

Any other random things I should know are good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

SMT: Persona 3 FES? First SMT I've tried, second RPG I've really seriously played, anime-est game I've ever seen.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Well now I've put P3: FES down in favor of waiting for the PSP version. To keep me busy until then I picked up Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness (the hell kind of name is that anyway), the port of Disgaea 1. It's pretty sweet so far but I can tell it's going to get complicated fast. Any advice? It's my first strategy RPG too.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

How about Metal Gear Solid? Yeah, the first one. There have been way too many good MGS releases/previews out lately, I need to get started on the franchise finally.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

McKracken posted:

I truly wish I could be experiencing the series for the first time all over again. Anyway...

Hold on to those Chaff grenades. You will need a hefty stock pile at the very end of the game. You shouldn't need to use them except in certain situations which will be very evident.

Make sure you grab the Socom Supressor from the tank hanger before you head off to the snowfield. Also make sure you grab the mine detector and thermal goggles from this area as well, you'll have access to the rooms once you have a level 2 card.

Don't underestimate the cardboard box. If you get trapped in an awkward position, equip it and sit tight. As long as you don't move whilst hiding, and you're not positioned in a guards patrol route you will be safe. It's great for cameras.

Beware of laser traps and bottomless pits in the armory. Use your goggles.

If you keep rations equipped, you will automatically use them when your health bar hits zero.

Do not mess with the guards in the nuke building missile storage site. The area becomes inescapable and floods with gas if you are detected.

The gas mask will make exploration of the gassed lab area much easier. Also use the nikita to dispose of the pesky gun turrets to make exploration safer.

For the ninja fight in Otacon's lab, once he starts emitting bursts of energy at the very end you can effectively use your gun to take him down from a safe distance.

Grabbing the NV Goggles in the gassed lab will make an upcoming area a lot easier (you can also grab body armor here with a level 6 card, body armor halves the damage you take.)

In the Commanders Room you will face Psycho Mantis. If you are having trouble with this and you can't figure it out you need to switch to the second control port, and now Mantis won't be able to read you This is a pretty famous and well known boss fight, but I spoilered it just in case you're unaware and still want to be surprised.

To safely get through the wolf caves, once you're on the other side punch Meryl and then immediately equip the box. The result of this will make you part of the family. Just equip the box on subsequent travels here and they don't mind you.

SAVE immediately after you battle Sniper Wolf. If you die during the torture it's game over no continues, or you have to submit which means you don't get the "good" cannon ending and the infinity bandanna.

Call Otacon to help get you out of jail.

Make sure you grab the rope on your way up the comm tower. You cannot stop the alarm, just keep running and stunning.

If you want to cheese the second Sniper Wolf battle, use the Nikita.

You can pick up the Body Armor in the blast furnace if you missed it or ignored it in the Nuke Building lab.

When you finally face Rex, chaff chaff chaff chaff. This makes it so his missiles cannot track you. If get too close he will try to stomp you. Just keep moving, and tossing chaff grenades and he shouldn't be able to hit you while you can nail him with the stinger.

If you ever get stuck, use the codec, at least one character will spell it out for you, and sometimes the conversations can be interesting, although you'll have to wait until MGS3 before they really get good.

Any more general sort of advice? Like, how the heck do you walk quietly? The closest I can get is just tapping the D-pad a lot to make a weird jerky movement. I couldn't find a "walk" button or anything.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Little Blue Couch posted:

When they say the back of the box, they mean the physical box in which the game was packaged.

Honestly though, there's really nothing you can miss that will make the game too terribly difficult and you can really play it through blind and be fine. Just call people all the time, like when you equip different items, enter different areas, or are fighting different bosses. There's lots of dialogue, and the weird codec conversations are one of the best parts of the series.

Are you playing the original for the PS1 or the GC remake? The PS1 has some really cool art design for its time and ever-so-slightly stronger voice acting, but otherwise there is basically nothing that hasn't been improved in the remake.

PS1. I almost got Twin Snakes but the MGS fans talked me out of it.

That reminds me, when the Gamecube was still hot (well, as hot as it ever was) I was torn between Twin Snakes and Splinter Cell. I went with the latter. :doh:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Bloodcider posted:

You made the right choice. That game was awful.

Cinroth posted:

How did they talk you out of it? I can understand people 'spergin about how it's too over the top with cutscenes or whatever but it's really worth playing even if you played PS1 MGS (which obviously most people had when GC version was released). The only thing I miss in the GC remake is the "echo" style sound effects and voices everywhere, but everything else that they added makes for a much better game.

SEE

When I was trying to decide all I could find were pages and pages of this. You people :unsmigghh:

But really it mostly comes down to the fact that Twin Snakes is really expensive and hard-to-find nowadays and the PS1 version is neither.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Oh yeah, I had a couple more questions about Metal Gear Solid:

1) Is there any way to know what parts of the game are checkpoints?
2) Is this game really loving hard? I'm playing on Normal, I'm still at the beginning of the game and I've gotten killed a few times (mostly from dumb mistakes but still). Does it get tons harder from here? Or am I just too used to modern games that baby you for the first half of the game?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Barudak posted:

It pretty much only gets harder from here, although for every boss you kill up to a point your health bar increases permanently in size. Avoiding fights is the name of the game, as unlike MGS2 you don't have easy aiming or stun weapons. Prepare for hell when you have to ascend the tower.

Should I just play it on Easy or does that take all the fun out of it? I mostly want to play it so I can enjoy the later games more.

PS I found the thermal goggles!

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I finally beat FFXIII so I wanted another RPG to slog through . . . I stumbled across Tales of the Abyss at a Gamestop and picked it up since, from what I saw, a lot of fans rate it as one of the best Tales games. I haven't played a Tales game before, is there anything I should know? Is the game worth gritting my teeth through the low-rent graphics and animations (well except for the face animations, those own)?

ps why are tales games so loving expensive used :psyduck:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Fray Joker posted:

Final Fantasy XIII

Don't sell any accessories you get, especially elemental resist rings. Most stuff in this game is not missable but those things can't really be replaced if you sell them and the elemental resist charms. Then you can't get the Treasure Hunter trophy ever and you will be ashamed forever.

Your characters have three native roles each. Halfway-ish through the game all the characters will have access to all six roles. Don't bother throwing CP into their non-native roles until you beat the game.

Play as offensively as possible, this will net you the highest battle ratings. Some enemies will even rape you on purpose if you sit back with too many Sentinels instead of just beating the poo poo out of them.

Make sure you use Libra/Librascope on stuff, it scans enemies for weaknesses and the AI will fight accordingly. It's not always a gamebreaker but finding an elemental or debuff weakness on an enemy can really save time and effort.

It's not the best game ever but if you enjoy the battle system you'll probably have quite a bit of fun throughout most of the game. If you find yourself not liking the fights once you get to use 3 characters at a time just stop playing, it won't get much better.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

graventy posted:

Haste is fantastic, use the Auto-Haste item as soon as you can (Speed Sash, I think).

Once you get to Chapter 11 your first inclination will be to start the side missions and kill Marks. Do that if you like, but I recommend waiting until later. You can return later and it makes the Marks a lot more fun, in my opinion, when you don't have long fights on the field between every one of them.

Haste owns, I never had any items that cast it though. I'd just start off with Hope (or Sazh before Hope had Haste) as Syn at the very beginning of battle. It's the first thing they cast on everyone and takes just a few seconds generally.

Then sometimes I'd just leave them there and watch the buffs stack up. :cool:

\/\/\/\/:love: I don't know who drew it which is a shame, just something I stole from the FFXIII thread.

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 28, 2010

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Are you supposed to grind in Chrono Trigger? I'm playing the DS version and I'm stuck on the Dragon Tank boss. It just crushes me every time. Potions are worthless and I can't go back to a store or anything as far as I know to get more Mid-potions or better armor or anything.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

FredMSloniker posted:

No, grinding should never be necessary, as long as you don't avoid fights. Are you sure you're using the right strategy? It's pretty much spelled out for you in some documents you can find along the way. In case you missed it: attack the head first, because it heals the tank; use only basic attacks, as your Techniques will cause it to react. Once the head is down, take out the wheels (you can use Techniques now), then the body.

I'm trying to do that but it gets off like five attacks before my stupid ATB gauge fills up and I can attack the head one more time, immediately after which it heals again. Augh.

re: Scalding Coffee: How do you sneak attack? I didn't know you could do that.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Nate RFB posted:

I apologize, but the long and short of it is that the Dragon Tank is so early in the game that there's nothing you normally can do about it. There isn't really enough time for the player to put themselves in a situation where they would be underleveled. However, a strangely low supply of Potions may press the issue I suppose. I still suggest lowering the game speed and switching to Wait if necessary.

HondaCivet, if you look at the HP/stats/levels/equipment that the characters have in this, how do yours compare?

OK, I beat him . . I did switch it to "Wait" and that seemed to help. Part of it I think is that the text is really small and hard-to-read so it's hard for me to snap to the right enemy/bodypart quickly enough, and if you gently caress up and hit the body instead of the head you kind of waste a turn. I haven't played many RPGs but the one I've beaten is FF XIII which does require some reflexes so I'm kind of baffled as to why this battle was a problem. It's not a super-hard fight but there isn't a ton of room for error either since you don't really have any healers.

Did the original game have both Active and Wait as options? If it's meant to be played with Active instead of Wait then I'll try to get used to it, or get an XL so I can read the drat text (am I really that old?).

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

This is more of a general question but I've been playing Chrono Trigger on the DS . . . I'm a little ways into the part where you enter the apocalyptic future (do I need to spoiler a game this old?) for the first time and I'm just not feeling horribly motivated to continue. It's been hyped as the best RPG ever since it came out but the battles just aren't super engaging to me, at least at this point in the game. I was just wondering if the game really opens up at some point I guess.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I've been wanting to try some of the old Final Fantasies so I picked up Final Fantasy IV DS. Apparently this is not a good thing for someone like me because it is apparently hard as balls and I am not experienced at old-school RPGs. Any general advice for not sucking as much?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

J-Spot posted:

I'm thinking about checking out the Uncharted series. Can I jump right into the second one, or would I need to play the first one to understand the story?

You can jump into the second but I'd probably just play both. They're both pretty short anyway. The second one is a bit better but not so much that the first one should be skipped.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Nate RFB posted:

Alright, I am going to give Disgaea 1 on the PS2 a try for like the fourth time in 5 years. I've never gotten more than a couple of hours into it. Let me know about poo poo I should before I play it!

I haven't beaten the game or anything but here are some cool things I wish I would've known earlier:

-Find a guide for the different classes and keep an eye on it as you play. If you have dudes of a certain class and level, it opens up new classes in the Dark Assembly. I didn't do this and then when I wanted a new class I had to go back and make Level 1 guys and grind them up to the rest of the team (not that this game doesn't have a lot of grinding no matter what).

-If you pick up and throw monster enemies into your base panel, you can make them join your party. You can make monsters in the Dark Assembly but they're loving expensive so this is a nice alternative. However, whoever is left in your base has to beat them up first so keep that in mind before you go chucking a high-level monster into your base that only has two prinnies left in it.

-The hospital owns, get hurt and killed as much as possible in exchange for fabulous prizes!

-When you send a character into the Dark Assembly, eventually they can create new dudes. Any dude that character creates is their "pupil." If they stand next to each other, the creator character can use the pupil's special moves. Do this enough times and the move levels up and the creator character has learned a new move that they probably couldn't learn otherwise.

-Save after every fight! Savesavesavesave.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Nate RFB posted:

If I get a character's class up to the prerequisite level to unlock the next class, and then for whatever reason I lose or get rid of that character, does the class stay unlocked?

Yeah. There are some classes where you need multiple characters of certain classes unlocked at the same time so don't get rid of any of them until you've made an individual of the new class. Really you probably shouldn't bother deleting anyone since you don't really lose anything by having extra guys around.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So I just got Super Street Fighter IV 3D for the 3DS. Except for a little Soul Calibur 2 I haven't played a fighting game before. I'm terrible and I don't know where to start or even how to choose a suitable character. Any advice/helpful webpages/etc. that would help a newbie ease into this game?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I just got an Xbox and now I can finally play Tales of Vesperia woooooo. Anything I need to know?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So I was trying to look over the older posts in this thread about NIER . . . Someone mentioned that while most of the side quests are lovely and tedious and skippable, a few are really awesome. Could someone give me a list of the worthwhile ones (while keeping it as spoiler-free as possible of course)? I'm not a completionist by any stretch so I naturally tend to skip that stuff, please help me not miss out.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I played Dark Souls and really loved it so I went and bought Demon's Souls too. Could someone go over the things in Demon's that might throw me off, having come from Dark? Also are there any really dumb not-obvious things I should avoid doing, like eating Fire Keeper souls in Dark?

Also I am totally grabbing Witcher from the GOG sale so if anyone has advice on that, that'd be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Looks like we already talked about the other two MEs on the last page so let's make it a three-for! I want to know about Mass Effect, as in the first one. I don't have a 360 so I picked it up on PC. I know it has some unfun clunkiness compared to the next two games, any advice on making it as fun as possible? Also any plot-related stuff I should definitely do/not do? I partially played through 2 on PS3 if it matters.