Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Kid Moe posted:

Any tips for Battle For Middle-Earth 2? I can never start the game properly and am almost always overwhelmed, and if by the off chance i fight them back it always takes me far too long to build up a decent army, any pointers?

If youre playing against computer opponents in skirmishes, they are very hard because they are constantly on you. What you need is a good custom hero designed for killing armies.

Some custom heroes are good at killing other heroes, some are really good at killing masses of units, only one is good for killing both heroes and armies.

Dwarf heroes, the big Troll heroes, are both really good for killing armies. Dwarves can get multiple area of effect powers, like the earthquake and meteors from the sky. Also, if youre going dwarf hero, make sure you get that toughness skill first when you customize as it really helps his survivability. Troll heroes just have that big rear end weapon that knocks back armies away, and have some AoE abilities that really help.

The elf custom hero is probably the best in the game, as with their range and damage they are very good at taking down enemy heroes, and have AoE abilities you can choose when you customize that are great at taking down armies. When I used to play this game with a friend I always had to forbid him using an elf hero, because late game there is nothing I can do against it, no matter what kind of other hero killer ive customized was never good enough.

So if youre playing against the computer in skirmishers, your best best is to customize a hero that has some AoE abilities, the dwarf, troll, or elf. The human mage custom hero does have good AoE abilities, but the cooldowns take too long and he can take too long to get strong, the human melee hero doesnt have many good AoE abilties and is better for hero to hero fighting, the orc/goblins are better at fighting smaller battles than big ones.

In a skirmish just set multiple computer opponents to be on different teams and hope they start to fight each other first to give you some breathing room.

Other than that, learn what side-specific heroes can help you the most early game. Cheaper heroes may not be that strong later on, but early on any hero is pretty good. And make sure you use a mix of archers and melee, archers are way better in battle for middle earth than most RTS games.

If youre sending out an army, and artillery piece can help a lot, like the ballista from Isengard.

So, get yourself a good custom hero, build him first, send him out and kill some of the neutral npcs around and kill the cave theyre in to get some extra xp. Work on getting at least a group of archers early. Computer opponents dont take too long to attack you, as youve already found out.

It's been awhile since Ive played this game, but it was always a lot of fun and great to play with friends. Except when they use the goddamn elf hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

GreatGreen posted:

I'm about to play Stronghold for the first time. Anything I should know?

Archers, archers, and more archers. And then later get crossbowmen. Your castle will get broken into, but if you have plenty of archers and some melee to slow people down youll do fine when you get attacked. If youre playing the single player that is. And put braziers on the walls, gates, anywhere there will be archers, it turns their arrows into fire arrows, which youll need to set off pitch and it does more damage I think. At least it looks cool. Putting archers/crossbowmen onto higher spots, like towers, gives them more range. You can also use engineers to build ballistae/catapults onto a large enough square/round tower.

Weapons take time to make, and you have to make armor for anything beyond archers and spearmen, so get those weapon factories and forges started early, even if you can only build a couple, it adds up.

When youre making castle defenses, if you use pitch, you should only put it down into thin lines. Doesnt take much to burn the enemy units, and the fire will spread, so a big pool is wasteful and doesnt do much. Make stripes!
And when you get attacked, you can use the [Zzz] sleep button on the building to sleep them all to send your villagers back to the campfire, so they dont get slaughtered if theyre outside your walls, and then use that new pool of people to pump out soldiers.

Use the shovel/dig button to set dig squares around your castle, and use spearmen or other melee to dig out a moat.

Grain is the best food source, but takes the most investment to get going. You need a grain farm, a mill, and bakeries, but it outproduces anything else. But early game, apple orchards, hunting posts, and cattle farms are alright. Youll need cattle farms anyways for leather armor for crossbowmen and macemen.

You can place another granary next to another placed granary to increase your food storage capacity. Likewise, when you start place a few extra squares of stockpile base so you wont run out of room for storage of materials.

Catapults, trebuchets, need stone in your stockpile to be able to fire. Ballistas need nothing.

Dont know if youve read any instructions at all, there is probably documentation on the CD, but little things like dont forget that a mine needs ox carts to ferry back the stone/ore to the stockpile.

I love Stronghold, Stronghold Crusader. Stronghold 2 was a buggy mess, Stronghold Legends got rid of most of the unique castle building and became a generic RTS. If you enjoy stronghold definitely try Stronghold Crusader.

ALSO! There's usually, if I'm remembering correctly, a little [?] button on the bottom right of the structures, and click on that and it can give you information about it, like what it does, or about the units it produces.

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 29, 2010

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

DrBouvenstein posted:

Finally decided to start playing Fallout 3 on the PC, after buying it during the Steam Summer Sale.

Are there any skills that are a big "no no" because they either never get used, or you have to get them so high it's pointless and you might as well use a different tactic?

I remember reading something about lockpicking somewhere...that either you really want to have a good skill level with it, or you don't want to bother at all because everything requires such a high level you're better off just opening the door by blasting it or bombing it, or something.

Just never pick a perk that give you +## to a skill, I personally started the game with a high int because then you will get more skillpoints when you level. Just don't start it at 10 because you can find a bobblehead later that can raise it a free point.

I never did sneak, but do work on repair early and either lockpick or science. I'd go lockpick first, science later, as often both can open the same door but you'll use lockpick more often with boxes and such. Going small guns will last you a long time, energy weapons isn't worth it for a long while.

I'd check this out http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Fallout_3 it helped me a lot when I started.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Ainsley McTree posted:

Anything for Sins of a Solar Empire? With all the buildings, upgrades, ship types, resources, and research options (so many research options) it seems like way too much to be going on at once for an RTS, I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Edward Malus posted:

There is a fair bit to keep track of, but the game moves so slowly that even in a one-on-one on the smallest map you're not really pressed for time. My only bit of advice would be to turn pirate raids off, especially in matches with lots of players (4+); as far as I can tell all the bounty money that gets thrown around goes directly towards strengthening their fleets and home base defences, which can get more than a little insane towards the endgame.

To add to it, the research stuff is the hardest to get your head around in that game, but when you're just starting out you can ignore like a whole tree/tab in the diplomacy stuff and just play it like a normal RTS of the form: collect resources -> build units -> kill enemies. You'll eventually get your head around "oh thats my ship unlocking tree, that's my ship upgrade tree, that's my resource upgrades/ planet upgrades." I'd just stick with one side to start, and then go onto others, as they all pretty much share most of the same kinds of upgrades but get mixed around a bit between them.

When it comes to all the ship types, like many RTSs where there's rock/paper/scissor like combat bonuses, you'll want a variety. Since you get a starting capital ship a good suggestion is to go with one that can learn a colonization ability (every side has one) to help you conquer planets from the get go. Sins is more complicated than the Starcraft standard RTS, but you can play it like one to start with until you get your head around the research trees and mechanics.