Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Jolo posted:

If you're playing on the Wii the stock isn't necessary. It improves aiming precision on the Gamecube and PS2 versions, but doesn't affect the Wii pointer on the Wii version.

Gamefly is sending me Infamous. Any advice? I've heard conflicting advice on whether to do good then evil on hard or vice versa. Also, any advice on how to collect all the trophies in two playthroughs would be helpful.

For trophies, just save before you make a choice, do one, reload, do the other. I recommend doing a good playthrough first, since it follows the golden rule of good/evil, where good has you fighting evil and following the storyline, while evil just lets you go "gently caress it" and beat up everything with gleeful abandon. A lot of the trophies are timesinks, ones that require you to pretty much hold down a button while you go look at something else online. It's not as fun of a sandbox as some other games, the storyline's fun, but after you've done that, you definitely get that empty feeling that all the rest of the stuff isn't that fun to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Scalding Coffee posted:

What specific things were added for Bully: Scholarship Edition (Wii) over the PS2 one? I might pick it up again since it is my favorite sandbox game.

New classes that use the Wiimote for varying things, most of which only reward T-shirts, except geography, which puts all the collectibles you haven't gotten yet on your map. A few extra missions. Better graphics. If you thought Bully was an okay game, you might want to rent it. But I'm in the same boat, it's one of my very favorite freeroaming games, I already owned it on the PS2, and I bought Scholarship for the 360 the day it came out, and I was happy as a clam. It's worth it if you liked the original at all.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

WorldWarWonderful posted:

That you're meant to screw up and replay the levels over and over and over until you're a badass.

You'll still be finding new things out after ten replays of the same level that make you an even more silent and efficient killer. Don't aim for perfection right away - get familiar with the levels, the timing of the events, and you'll giggle with glee as you watch people die by a rigged chandelier or an explosive hidden in a cake, even though it'll totally ruin your Silent Assassin ranking.

This. Don't worry about getting a good ranking, just do your drat job however you please. Sometimes going all Terminator on fools is fun, but catching your target unawares as he stands in front of a staircase is just wonderful, especially reading the newspaper after a hit and reading a report saying "Huh, everybody in this entire building died from accidentally falling down stairs. That's crazy."

That said, I never personally used the shotgun, SMG, or assault rifle. Your silverballers should be more than enough for any job, especially once fully upgraded.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

casual poster posted:

anyone know if prince of persia, the 360 version, is worth finishing? so far it has sucked, not as fun as the first one was, the battle system sucks, and you basically just follow a path the whole time. Story is horrible so far.

If you don't like it, it's just more of the same. I personally loved it, but that was because it wasn't "gamey", and I totally understand not liking it. If you're not having a good time with it yet, there's really nothing to change your mind down the road.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Valvados posted:

A much easier way to get that ring, besides starting as a Royal, is to give the Brass Telescope to the "shiny twinkly" crow in 4-1.

Yeah, but you have to fight your way past some of the most annoying enemies in the entire game, plus a boss to get to it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Thanks guys. Ammmo was getting a little tight but now that I know I can carry another weapon, that problem should be solved :)

You will never be in a situation where the Hammer is usable without having a Hammer provided to you. As soon as someone's said it's not usable anymore, dump it, it's a paperweight.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Palleon posted:

Yes, a video game where there's an enemy that's really hard to beat but becomes easier after you're used to the game, never seen poo poo like that before, gently caress that game.

Whoa, whoa, enemies are hard at the beginning and become easier with player skill, XP, and better equipment? What is this madness?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

If I want to play Mass Effect and get the Asari and Krogan Ally achievements, what do I need to do? I'm at the Citadel, and I've only talked to one person who wants me to go talk to "The Asari Consort".

Is there anything I need to particularly watch out for?

You need to do nothing. Make your very VERY first order of business getting those two characters, and do not do ANYTHING missions or sidequests that you do not absolutely NEED to do to get to them. Basically to get the achievement, you have to do X amount of missions and Y amount of sidequests with them in your party.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

Yeah, but where do I go to find them? I've looking in a FAQ or two, so I think I know where to find Wrex, but I couldn't find anything about the Asari.

She's on one of the missions you get once you start the game proper. If you're really THAT new to Mass Effect, I'm gonna make the friendly suggestion that maybe you don't go for those achievements right now. Some missions you're really gonna want to have some different characters with you, especially in Geth-heavy missions.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

-A69- posted:

for the record, you know you don't have to pick the same class when you import from ME1 right?

I don't understand. He was playing an infiltrator. You're saying he had any reason to change to another class? Why would he gimp himself like that?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Do Bonnie's missions first until you get the lasso. The lasso's a nice thing to have.

Buying a horse deed at a store lets you summon the horse whenever you want, however many times you want. So for example if you get yourself a nice horse (you get one from one of Bonnie's missions), and it dies, and you use the horse deed to get another one, the horse deed doesn't disappear, it stays in your inventory forever. So if you bought the deed you'll have an endless supply of that horse at your disposal (only one at a time, obviously). That's what justifies the $1,500 ($750 later on) price tag.

You can also use the deed at any time to autosave; this is very handy if you haven't saved in a while and just want to quickly save without having to pull up camp or head back into town.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

A shrubbery! posted:

Another thing to know is that your companions can die, but only if you strike the killing blow. If they're beaten by an enemy, they'll crouch/catch their breath and enemies will ignore them, but if you accidentally hit them while they're like that you can finish them off.

In fairness, this is half right; enemies will leave your buddies alone if they catch their breath, but if they've been poisoned or are being hit by an area attack or something like that, they'll still take damage and eventually die.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Any tips for Little Big Adventure? It doesn't seem to be on the wiki.

It's been forevvvver since I've played this, but I do remember that you want to go to the pharmacy on the starting island and buy some red syrup from the pharmacy before you leave, or else you'll have to go back to get it later. The fact that I can remember this fact about a game I haven't played in at least a decade will tell you how important it is to remember.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Anonononomous posted:

When you say all my stuff gets taken and I can't get back to the area, do you mean that it is put in the storage chest right before you start the DLC and you can't get back to that chest? So should I just put everything I have in a chest somewhere else before starting the DLC?

Yeah, your inventory is cleared out and put in a locker in the building that serves as the transition to the DLC area. You can get back to it within seconds of finishing the DLC, but you'll probably already have your pockets full of amazing unique loot and weapons so you'll probably want to store all your stuff someplace easily accessible if you don't want to have a slow encumbered walk all the way back to the Lucky 38. Personally I loved DM, not only because it was some drat fine character writing and some neat loot, but you also get a pretty dress gown, and I'm a man who loves pretty dresses in games.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

TerryLennox posted:

Ok, I finally made to the end of Revengeance but I'm having a brutal time finishing the last fight against Senator Armstrong. Got zero nanopastes left and the bastard can kill me in 5 hits. The farthest I've gotten in the fight is when he starts to throw debris at you that you need to cut just exactly. There is a 1 second window to line up a cut and the mouse is not helping matters. For some stupid reason the cursor starts horizontal and the adjustment takes too long. I'm about to drop the game because this is fake difficulty. I had fun at almost every boss fight but this one sucks. Does anyone have any tips on how to kill him?

If you dash straight forward toward him, you'll run under the blocks and be safe. HOWEVER, if you slash the blocks, they'll drop nanopastes you can use to heal up; the trick is, don't aim. You're taking too long to line up a perfect slash, but all you need to do is a quick motion in the general direction and you'll pull it off just fine. It's like Star Wars, just trust your instincts, turn off your targeting computer, and be the cyborg badass you always knew you could be.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, it's not so much an instant kill as it is that the crossbow does an INSANE amount of damage underwater.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Whoa, wait, you get to play as Haruka in Yakuza 5? Like, play pachinko and beat up yakuzas, or is it an exploration sequence?

You can roam like the others, but instead of fighting, you do dance battles to J-pop songs.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Yeah I've heard but I'm also one of those weirdos who legitimately cannot enjoy any entry of a series unless I start at the start, no matter how unrelated they are. Feels like I'm beating my head into a wall otherwise.

I'm also one of those weirdos who likes Dragon Age 2, even without the skip combat mod.

In that case, there's like six books you need to read, as well.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Zaodai posted:

I was disappointed when I used the water gun against a particular enemy only to find out it wasn't super-effective. :negative: Sure, it wouldn't have made any sense, but I had to try.

I mean, it absolutely seems like the sort of thing Kojima would do, so no shame there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

She's called Mebbeth, just in case you difficulty finding her.

Honestly, the real best advice to give here is to cheat off your rear end and set all your stats to 25. The combat in this game is terrible, it's all about the plot and characters. You will miss out on literally none of the real fun if you do.

Yeah, honestly, the only thing having lower stats does is cause you to miss out on content. There's one really annoying bit where the only nonviolent way to solve a certain mystery requires you to have at least 16 points in Charisma, for example. If you don't have that by a certain point in the game, you either have to skip that mystery, or else you end up having to murder an entire village, basically.