Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Here's a fun one I discovered:

Star Ocean: First Departure

Do not go into the Abandoned Mine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Contingency Plan posted:

Requesting more tips for Fallout 3, which I'm just starting.

No one's mentioned this yet so I will. It is possible to skip large parts of the main quest if you're too enthusiastic in your exploring. Don't worry, you can still finish the game normally, you're just jumping the gun a bit.

As it happens, this is also a useful bit of info for subsequent playthroughs, since it can slightly slow down how fast you're gaining XP.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Aratoeldar posted:

You are both wrong SoU take place at the same time as the OC.

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Shadows_of_Undrentide

The first poster likely meant that you can just play with the same character from the OC in the expansions (which is kinda of overpowered for SoU). The second poster was right, he just phrased it in an awkward way.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Argon_Sloth posted:

How about Soul Nomad & the World Eaters? It's from the same people that made Disgaea, so, I'm expecting unreasonable jumps in enemy levels, and grinding. What should I know to stay ahead of the curve?

Just use one room or whatever the groups are called. You keep pace with enemy levels pretty well doing that.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Zuffox posted:

I'm a Lawful Good Paladin - which companions are good, and which are bad; and who would fit the bill in a party with my main (be it pre or post Imoen)?

Assuming you're talking about alignment...

Minsc - good
Jaheira - neutral
Kheldorn - good
Aerie- good
Cernd - neutral
Mezzie - good
Anomen - neutral (can be changed to good or evil later depending on your choices)
Haer Dalis - neutral
Imoen - good
Jan - neutral
Nalia - good
Valygar - good
Yoshimo - neutral
Edwin - evil
Korgan - evil
Viconia - evil (I think she can be changed to neutral in ToB)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Champinave posted:

I just picked up Pokemon Diamond for the first time yesterday (no joke); any pointers?

Fray Joker has some good advice, but if you want to get through the game as fast as possible (so you can unlock Pal Park and the other post-E4 stuff), pick Chimchar and only use him (allow him to evolve, of course). You can still catch all the pokemon you want, but only use the monkey for trainer battles. He will very quickly surpass everything in terms of power and stay that way for the entire game, even against the Elite Four.

Of course, having one god-like pokemon makes catching lesser pokemon somewhat tricky since he'll likely one-shot them all...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dypsymphuliac posted:

You have no idea how ashamed I am that I never thought of that.

Don't be. Until FFXII, status spells working on bosses was so rare that pretty much no one ever bothered to cast them.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Prof. Fantastic posted:

Just got Resident Evil 3 for my Dreamcast yesterday. I realize that Resident Evil 2 was already covered earlier on, but is there anything different I should know? Speaking of which, this is my first Resident Evil that isn't 4. Should I start elsewhere?

You should probably start elsewhere. RE3 is a pain in the rear end even if you're used to old RE-style controls.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

dregan posted:

The controls aren't too bad to be fair, not too different from other Resident Evils.

Oh I didn't mean they were any different from the previous few games. I meant that RE3 is just harder/more frustrating because of Nemesis chasing you around, so if you're not already familiar with the controls, it's probably best to start with one of the earlier games.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Nocturne Sabre posted:

So don't kill Nemesis? I must be missing something here, I'm still completely clueless as to what you are referring to. He can't die. No puzzles require him to die because he can't.

Maybe he means Nemesis showed up in a room with a puzzle, and because he didn't have enough ammo to deal with Nemesis, he wasn't able to do the puzzle.

I don't recall that ever happening, though...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

hadji murad posted:

What is key for Tales of Vesperia?

I'm about an hour in, really liking my first RPG in years - what should I know, especially in regards to the combat?

Really pay attention to all the combat tutorials and start practicing everything they teach you. This will make later boss fights challenging in a fun way rather than horrible experiences that make you want to break things.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Revitalized posted:

So I played Star Ocean: Second Evolution and loved it, thus ordered Star Ocean: Till the End of Time for the PS2.

Any tips for Star Ocean: Till the End of Time? (Anything I should be sure not to miss, or advice skills?)

Based on your love of Star Ocean 2, I would say the best advice anyone can give you is to not play Star Ocean 3.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Capsaicin, just so you're aware, some of the games being recommended to you are pretty rare, so unless you're obtaining them through other means, don't be shocked at some of the prices.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Regarding FFVI...

If you're playing the SNES version and want to do the Lete River trick, I'm almost certain you need a controller with a turbo option since holding the A button down outside of combat doesn't do anything. Obviously this doesn't matter if you're using an emulator.

Again, if you're playing the SNES version and want to make Doomgaze super easy, do not use X-Zone!!. You will not get the magicite if you use X-Zone; use Doom or Death or whatever instead.

It is possible for Sabin to join your party with several Blitz moves, but only the first one will auto-kill Vargas. Also, in earlier versions of the SNES game, you could do any of Sabin's Blitzes at any time, except Bum Rush, by inputting the proper command. This is fixed in later versions and subsequent ports (GBA, PSX).

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 28, 2009

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, but you have to fight your way past some of the most annoying enemies in the entire game, plus a boss to get to it.

You don't have to fight a boss, and skeletons are a cake walk once you get a blunt weapon.

When you enter the gateway that leads to Vanguard, turn left down the tunnel (raise your shield because there's an arrow trap) and head upstairs. After you dispatch the guys up there, head towards the other tower that has a skeleton archer on it; you'll enter at the bottom. Once you get to the top of those stairs, head out the door that the skeleton was guarding and around the path.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Nocturne Sabre posted:

but have since heard you can junction and never have to use GFs, which is something my young mind couldn't comprehend at the time

Basically you can spend an obscene amount of time drawing spells from enemies to junction to your stats, which will make you pretty much unstoppable.

Or, you can have Quistis learn the Degenerator limit break, mess around with junctioning her HP stat so that she's always in the yellow, and just one-shot every non-boss enemy in the game.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Or you can spend a minimal amount of time drawing spells when you see them on the field map and, once in a while, in battle from an enemy, junction them to your stats wisely, and generally be fine throughout the game.

Yeah I guess that works, too. I just posted the cheese strategies because, when I played it, I got pretty tired of everything about halfway through and just looked for the easiest way to finish the game :).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Al-Saqr posted:

I took advantage of Steams 5$ deal on STALKER:SHADOW OF CHERNOBYL and I'm planning a bit of marathon gaming on it in the near future, so I was wondering whether there's any tips, tricks, or warnings I should probably know before starting the game.

drat thanks for the heads up on this. And thanks for all the tips, al-azad.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Polite Tim posted:

Just got Soul Nomad and the World Eaters, any tips?

If you don't want to spend a lot of time grinding, just run with one group. And I'd advise against filling it with unique characters because they get less xp or don't count as the class they actually are or something (I can't remember exactly what it is, but I know there's some drawback to loading a party with the unique guys).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ArmoredBlue posted:

I got Dragon Age for Christmas and have been playing it non-stop, but I was wondering if the enemies scale with you. I ask because in all the areas I think, "wow, thank god I didn't come here 3 levels ago", which would seem to make sense so the game doesn't punish you for taking on a quest too early.

They do to an extent. When you first enter an area, enemy level is scaled based on your level, but stays there. So if you leave to go level up elsewhere and come back, the fights will be significantly easier as the enemies have not leveled up.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

A shrubbery! posted:

And money.

Subscription-MMO tip #1: Quit playing, and see how much money you save.

It doesn't always work like that. If you're paying $15 a month for a game and that's the only game you're playing, you're going to come out ahead of the guy that buys a new $50-60 game every month (or even every other month).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Does Morrowind on the PC have that annoying "feature" where if you drop too many items in an area eventually they all get put in a bag that never goes away and prevents you from displaying stuff?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

McKracken posted:

Not to be a dick, but there are loads of people who have completed the games, at least RE1-CV with either the knife only, or knife + handgun. That's obviously not how the game is meant to be played, but it's proof that the game is beatable, even if you have not a single bullet left.

And every person that has done this did so after mastering the game otherwise, not as something forced on them because they used too much ammo on regular zombies during their first playthrough. I had to abandon my first attempt at Code Veronica because I ran out of ammo during the Tyrant fight and, since it was my first time playing, I didn't know his patterns well enough to stab him to death. Brewing Tea is spot on with his criticism.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

al-azad posted:

You have to kill Anna and Gunther to continue. Anna's last encounter is in UNATCO when you're escaping and Daedalus won't open the door until you kill her. You can't complete the one part in Paris without accessing a computer that Gunther conveniently blocks. You may be able to avoid Simons in Area 51 but I'm not 100% positive on that. I'm pretty sure if you tranq all three characters their killswitch activates and they blow up so your best bet is to simply use Anna and Gunther's kill words (thus you don't "dirty" your hands) and avoid Simons in Area 51.

It's possible to avoid killing Anna at UNATCO. If you're lucky, you can toss a grenade and get her to run back through the locked door, at which point you run past her and leave. Gunther will even say something about you not killing her when you run into him later.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I'm pretty sure I didn't get all gold, and I still recieved a jetpack. Isn't it tied to a side mission?

It is. I believe it's the reward for completing all of that hippy dude's missions.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Any Pointers for Digital Devil Saga?

You'll initially want to ignore the element each person starts with and instead spend your atma on the element they're weak to.

Unlike most other RPGs, status effects are loving huge and can turn an unwinnable battle into a cakewalk.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

al-azad posted:

I'm pretty sure everything that can be missed in the first half of the game shows up in the second half. As Capsaicin said when you reach a point that times you and asks if you want to jump, don't jump.

Not quite everything.

When you have a choice between a character and an item, pick the character.

Explanation: I'm pretty sure Mog can only get the Water Dance in the first half of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Omega Hans posted:

Any tips for Icewind Dale 2?

Playing with just one character is hard to start, but the game becomes a cakewalk after you gain a few levels, which will happen fast since you're not splitting the xp between a full party.