Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I got Empire: Total War cheap off steam a few days ago. Never played a Total War game before so it's all rather daunting. I've done the battle tutorial and am at the moment doing the Independence campaign thing because I've heard it's like a tutorial, but things are moving pretty fast.

I've been able to win battles by flanking and using hills to my advantage, but are there any other really handy tips I should know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

6EQUJ5 posted:

You might get some joy from this guide:

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/48849#.UGtQPTxrjpw

I know the URL is obviously Shogun related, but that's a link to a guide for Empire, honest!

This is amazing, thanks!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Just bought Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition for cheap on steam. Never played it before, put about 30 mins into it so far as a human warrior (yes boring) and I'd love some essential tips. The combat isn't what I'm used to and if there are any skills to avoid or get quickly let me know. Any other advice is greatly appreciated too. Thanks!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
All good info for DA, thanks guys. I hadn't heard of tactics at all so I'll look into it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

10bux posted:

Finally getting around to playing Assassin's Creed 3. Anything I should know? I haven't touched the series since the very first one.

In all honesty I would advise taking it back and getting Assassins Creed 2 instead. It's a far better game overall. But if you do want to stick with it, don't bother trying for 100% synchronisation on missions, the goals are ridiculous a lot of the time and it's just not worth it. Also make sure to play through all the boat missions because they're the best part about the whole game.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

flatluigi posted:

Is there a good guide out there to some advanced techniques for the Trials series? (HD/Evolution/Fusion)

I've been playing a ton of it over the past few weeks and I'm good enough to gold some hard tracks and get through extreme tracks after almost getting to the fault/time limit, but I feel there must be some tactics I'm missing.

If you're able to complete extreme tracks then there's not much else you need to know. To get better from there it's pretty much practice and time. Make sure to look at the top replays for tracks as well, they're always helpful to shave off a few extra seconds.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Just started Miasmata. I'm really enjoying it so far, but any tips would be appreciated as I think there's a lot to the game that I'm overlooking.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

GuavaMoment posted:

-You can only hold one item of each type at once, so there's no point making tons of health pills.
-Learn to triangulate, and do it to every head statue you can see (and even the ones you can't. Going pixel hunting for heads helps you map).
-At the very beginning you head north-ish, and the path splits in two (going east and west). Going east will explore the smaller area, going west is the rest of the game.
-When you take damage your illness gets worse. There's no actual health system. This means when you're cured you are invincible.
-Never, never, loving NEVER, be out in the woods at night. You will get lost, fall off a cliff and die.
-As long as you look for notes in the research stations you find, keep exploring new areas, and keep a mental checklist of what plant looks new, you won't ever get stuck not knowing what to do.
-If you have the notes (so you have an idea what to look for), try to prioritize getting the 'emphasis' medicines, as they give you huge, permanent buffs.
-The beast isn't really that dangerous in the day.
-There is a fan patch that fixes the achievements on the steam forums, as many of them are broken.

I really loved the hell out of this game. It's the only game I've played that scratched my STALKER itch for exploring. Have fun!

This is all really helpful, thank you!

I spent the first couple of days aimlessly wandering around and I got really loving lost. Managed to make it back to around the starting area, I think I'll head east for a bit!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Also, stealth is great in the game, but don't forget to go all-out-balls-to-the-wall-dual-wielding double shotguns once in a while. It plays like an old school fps in the best possible way so just have fun, it's really really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Ryoshi posted:

Anything not covered in the wiki for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning? Is Adrenaline Surge still bugged because that is some laughable Final Fantasy 1 poo poo right there.

E: Also, can you change difficulty mid-game?

The info on the wiki seems useful, one thing I'd add is to not try and do every sidequest because you will burn out very quickly. There's loving loads of quests everywhere and if you try and take them all on you'll get bored and stop playing.

Not sure about the difficulty changing though.