Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Spuzzz posted:

SMT3: Nocturne

-You will die a lot, save all you can
-You can only recruit demons that are your level or below. You can't talk to some, like blobs, without special skills.
-Some demons will evolve when they have learned all thier skills. Some demons can only be gained through evolution.
-Know your weaknesses. No amount of grinding will save you from a boss if you leave yourself weak to its attacks.
-Always try to fight bosses on New Kagutsuchi, they will be at thier weakest.
-Buffs and debuffs actually matter. Sukukaja/Fog breath will give you the most bang for your buck.
-You can only learn a skill once. If you choose to get rid of one, you can'y get it back. Plan early on if you want to be a melee powerhouse or a caster. Always have at least one healing spell to back up your healing demon.
-The Amala network is an optional dungeon. If you finish it before going into final dungeon though it will lock you into a certain ending.

Just to add further to this:

-Keep Focus, especially if you're planning on getting the aforementioned ending involving the Amala network. It is probably the most important physical skill in the game.
-Your main character's best skills are physical.
-The best magatama in the game gives you +10 to all your stats, if you want to plan accordingly.
-Keep the pixie you get at the very beginning of the game. I think that you can fuse her into other stuff, so long as you keep that other stuff. Just make sure you remember what she ends up as.
-The hardest part of Hard difficulty are the first few non-random fights. Don't be too discouraged if you die over and over again to these. They just suck.
-Get something that nulls force for Matador. Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

CloseFriend posted:

Mother 3

-Try and tap the A button to the beat of the battle music as your characters attack. This is pretty hard sometimes. You can use Duster's Hypno-pendulum to make the beat easier to hear, though. You will also get something in Chapter 2 that lets you practice this.
-Go back to Osohe Castle at the beginning of Chapter 5 and go as far as you can go. There is a secret boss there that will get you some helpful swag.

I don't remember any other Guide Dangit moments, but feel free to add more.

zrrgin posted:

Master of Orion 2

-The hardest AI civs are the Sakkra and Silicoid. The Trilarians and Psilons can get bad too, but they are generally friendly.
-Your weapons get additional mods as you tech up, so check back on older weapons to see if they're better than new weapons. Load up small ships with missiles (Nuclear missiles equipped with MIRV are optimal) instead of beam weapons. I forget the reason why, but I think it's because your targeting computers blow in the early game. You can also tech up for armor piercing, autofiring Mass Drivers.
-If you're making a race, never invest in +Farming. Toward the end of the game, a couple colonies can provide food for your entire empire without too much effort.
-If you steal an enemy ship and scrap it, you get their sweet, sweet tech. This holds especially true for the Antarans. However, even the smallest Antaran ship is going to put up a hell of a fight against being captured, and I think they self destruct the second they're disabled.
-You will probably come back to this game on and off again for at least the next 10 years.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

CloseFriend posted:

Persona 4
· The most "efficient" Social Links to get are those of your party members and Hermit. Your party members gain new in-battle abilities as you improve their social links. You'll know why Hermit's so important when you get to it.

Strength gives a boost to Diligence and Sun gives a big bonus to Expression in addition to the standard S. Link.

Temperance, Devil, and Tower have stat requirements, but give you money, stats, and S. Links.

Try and be level 17 by 5/21 and beeline the Priestess S. Link as much as you can before then. The reason for this is that the Fusion Forecast on that day gives Priestess Arcanas bonus experience. The Priestess persona to make is Sarasvati, which gets Invigorate 2 at level 19. Spread that skill like the plague and never worry about SP worries again, assuming you don't mind hitting Guard for a billion rounds. Sarasvati also gets Null Wind at level 23, but good luck spreading both that and Invigorate.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

THF13 posted:

Dragon Quest V

Once you can recruit monsters, get the Rotten Apple (it's near Uptaten Towers). It's a good mid-late game monster that's rendered useless because of equipment and an early level cap, but it's solid until you're level 25 or so.

You should also get a Slime Knight, who is basically a copy of the Hero. They are found near Coburg.

Late game, the only real monsters you should use are (mild spoiler that's not really if you know a thing about RPG conventions) Saber and Golem (Killing Machine is good too but it's hard to get and you get it way later than Golem). The rest you can fill with human characters.

Don't worry about your choice for wife too much. Go for personality rather than stats/combat potential. On a tangent to this, press B after talking to any NPC if you have human characters in your party.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

I need tips on Galactic Civilizations II and if the expansions are worth it?

Can someone expand on this, since every time I play Galciv II, I constantly bleed money and I have no idea how to stop unless I'm playing the one super mercantile Civ (Korx?).

Also, what factors actually go towards morale? It seems that it constantly drops and I have no idea why. The game feels more opaque than, say, Civ 4, where you know exactly where your numbers come from and what they're contributing to. People say this game is great, but it sure isn't making it easy to be loved.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Requesting Left 4 Dead, learned that friendly fire is on, should probably know more than that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Jarl posted:

What should and shouldn't I do in order to avoid gimping my character?

Make sure you have some measure of combat skill, whether it's guns, melee, or barefisted. The last few levels are pure combat.

Don't play a Malkavian or Nosferatu your first time. Tremere is probably the easiest clan to play.

The sewer level is supposed to suck that much.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

Fog Breath is a useful always skill.

Fog Breath is obsolete once your demons get Debilitate and you become a powerhouse damage dealer.

More advice:
Make your dude into a physical attacker. It is slow to start since Phys skills suck at the beginning, but the best skills in the game are based on Physical attacks.

Never forget Focus. 5 MP is a better loss than an additional 20%+ of your HP.

The best magatama in the game gives you +10 to all your stats, so don't go above that from stat increases.

The demifiend has an innate 50% resistance against light and dark attacks. This is very little comfort.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Stumiester posted:

Is there anything I should know about King's Bounty: The legend?

-The difficulty goes Mage < Fighter < Paladin, from easiest to hardest. However, Mages have the hardest time in the beginning, since you don't have many good spells and you don't have a lot of troops. Usually by the time you get to the Freedom Isles, the mage starts growing exponentially. Beeline for Higher Magic if you play mage.
-Beeline for Reserves. It is the most important skill no matter what class you are. I usually fill said reserves with melee troops or other troops that have a high tendency to die/are really inconvenient to reinforce.
-Beeline the story missions until you get your first Spirits of Rage (you can get 2 pretty easily).
-Doing missions for people usually puts new stuff in their shop, or at least adds reinforcements to their populations. Doing story missions makes troops available in your main castle, sometimes at unlimited population.
-Don't have kids. They are usually worse than loot, but you can't discard them without divorcing your wife.
-There are some random patches of ridiculously increased difficulty, like the Magic Range. Quicksave before any endeavor!
-Experiment with troops. There's a lot of them in the game and they're all pretty unique.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

triplexpac posted:

I'm a few hours into Radiant Historia for the DS. I'm really liking it, but is there anything I should know about it? With all the time travel and such, it seems like the kind of game where you may miss something big on your first playthrough.

There is one sidequest, At Journey's End, that has obscure/annoying to get requirements. You CAN go back and get the requirements, but they are nowhere near a node so it is a lot of annoying backtracking, so I would recommend reading up on a FAQ to get the requirements as they come up. If you want to get all the sidequests without referring to an FAQ, just talk to everyone you can. Make sure you talk to them again if the chapter changes, as they will have different stuff to say/sidequests maybe.

Also, pressing Start allows you to skip cutscenes. I wish I had learned this sooner.

Edit: Oh yeah, there are some nodes (such as the first one where you get the big branch off) that will have a seemingly mysterious path. It will be filled as you play the game. Don't worry about it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

I just picked up Heroes of Might and Magic 5 on Steam. Anything that I should know while it downloads?

Assume that I haven't played a HoM game in like 7 years, because... Well, I haven't.

I don't know if the expansions fixed this, but some of the skills have really esoteric requirements. I don't think there is any in game documentation regarding the "hidden" skills, but some of the heroes cannot get some of the skills because of their default skill setup. Play a few games to familiarize yourself with the system, then look at this to see what you're missing: http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/heroes5/demonlord_skills_abilities.shtml

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Guns are usually terrible. The only non-hammer weapons really worth a drat are the rocket launcher, shotgun, thermobaric rocket, and the Gutter -- that big tribal spear thing.

You may say to yourself "why would I waste a weapon slot on the Gutter when it just recreates what the Hammer does?"

The answers: 1) Because the guns are poo poo, 2) Because you'll probably kill more people with melee and detpacks than all other weapons combined, and 3) If you're going really heavy on melee, might as well get the best weapon for it.

The nano-rifle is useful for pinpoint accuracy, mega damage, and it helps destroy buildings pretty well.

The rocket launcher is indeed useful, because it's a loving rocket launcher and when has that not been useful? The thermobaric is more fun than useful since, iirc, you only get like 1-2. Might be good in a pinch, but, eh, I'd rather have normal rockets.

The lightning thinger is useful in any mission involving enemies in tanks. It will fry the person inside the tank without damaging the tank itself, so that you can hijack said tank and wreck havoc with it. There are at least two story missions where this is useful, one of which is the last one.

I liked the assault rifle since there was a good supply of ammo for it and it was a pretty respectable long range weapon. The shotgun is less useful in that regard, since at close range you have your hammer and/or mines.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

Has anyone got beginner tips for Civilization IV? The stuff on the website is mostly stuff that is a bit beyond me, I'd be more interested in knowing what I should focus on in the early game, how many cities I should be building and when, etc. I found the tutorial doesn't really help much since it ends just when it would be explaining the actual complex stuff, also when I just played a game I'd researched loads of the religion "technologies" and it would say "cannot convert to ...." for each one, couldn't figure out how to start or adopt one at all. Should I just play it on Warlord and get stomped until I learn maybe?

Don't neglect your military. The AI can smell weakness and will attack you if you don't have a lot of troops, even if you are relatively friendly. Try to keep at least one city pumping out units.

The early game is about expansion and the management of expansion. Make settlements until your research slider is at 50-60%, then stop and grow and then expand again when your finances allow it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

For my first run of Fallout 3, are there any mods that are essential and make the experience strictly better or should I just go in as is?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Eggie posted:

So I might be trying out Konami's Suikoden II. Any general pointers? Any missables? Are their any infamous parts to the game that give most players headaches but can be smoothed over with a little foresight (for example: Sten's mandatory chapter in Breath Of Fire 2)?

There are probably some missable stars, including the fact that some decisions will lead your stars to death, but I don't remember offhand. Try to get a star guide without spoilers, if possible. Also, getting the true ending is really hard without a FAQ, and not just for the stars. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to tell you how to do it without spoiling the moment, but at some point pretty late in the game you will see a text prompt that will show a choice (I don't remember if it was actually a choice) that will disappear after a couple seconds, if even that. If you failed to press anything, read up on the true ending, since nothing should be a spoiler at that point. Also don't save over your save after that point if you failed to press the right input.

Also, try to level up at least 18 people by mid-late game. You may know what it pertains to, but if you don't, don't look up why because it is pretty awesome.

Play S1 first. Import your S1 data. The bonus is really, really good, but a lot of the characters are even more awesome because of their involvement in S1.

Clive's sidequest is based on your playtime and there is a very good chance you will miss most of it on your first run.

Other than some of the army battles and a few bosses, it's not really that hard of a game. Cherish it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Orcs Must Die

Currently, my fights are won mostly through spamming the crossbow and a bunch of fire traps. I wonder if there's more of a science to it (my first real defense game besides plants vs zombies)

A swinging mace + tar pit setup will kill all orcs that come through it, except those few with shields. Place sorcerous brimstone so that any survivors, whether orcs or kobolds, will burn to death on them. Place another layer just in case. Use archers or autoballista to take out fliers and ogres. Note that I haven't played Nightmare so this may not be applicable to that difficulty, but it got me through the campaign. Before I got the mace, I just spammed archers and arrow traps, accompanied by tar pits. Always, always use the tar pits.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Jive One posted:

In Might and Magic III(and Xeen as well) is there any way to detect traps, either environmental or those on treasure chests, without simply stumbling into them? Is there any way to disarm traps or avoid their damage without using the jump, levitate or etherealise spells?

Edit: One other question. Should the last two character slots be saved for hirelings or is it better to use them for two more created characters?

If I recall correctly, at least as far as Xeen is concerned, I think there is a spell that tells you if something is trapped. One of the UI elements (like the gargoyle head) begins to animate.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

There's nothing in the Wiki for Avadon. Any tips?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Xander77 posted:

There's absolutely no punishment for stealing if you can - you're either prevented from picking something up, or do so without reprecussions.

If a shopkeep etc is preventing you from grabbing some stuff, mess around until he doesn't have a line of sight at the character doing the stealing, and you'll be able get the item. Since there's a finite amount of gold in the game and a bunch of expensive items to purchase, every little bit helps.

That was bugging me for so long, since I think Redbeard or someone actually warns you against this, but nobody actually reacted to what I was doing.

Also, Is there a point to bringing poo poo like rope and other miscellaneous items? I imagine rope is pretty useful in ye olde RPGs, which this seems to emulate, but I don't see a place to "use" it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

al-azad posted:

You can still explore the island after finishing. The only missable achievement/trophy I'm aware of is party crasher(?). When you enter the long hallway of non-hostile thugs you have to beat them up right then and there.

They were non-hostile? Oops.

There's also another achievement you can miss, when you have to go rescuing people hanging off ledges in one of the asylum levels after the Joker injected some sort of gas. I think it's called Leave No Man Behind, but I forget. It's pretty early in the game, though, and it's pretty obvious since at least a few of them are in very obvious positions.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

WarLocke posted:

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition is almost done downloading off of Steam. What should I know before diving in, goons?

Download the Total Combat Rebalance mod, install it with the Easy package. I'd also keep the NPC names, since there aren't that many unique models and it is good to know when someone has a name because then you know they are important in some way. The combat is still janky as all hell and is still the worst part of the game, though. Possibly second to running around everywhere, especially in Chapters 1 and 4.

Never be without Spectre or Vampire oil. Really all the oils are super useful, but those two specifically are necessary with that mod, otherwise vampires and ghosts will not die. Kill dogs in Vizima for their grease, then make and indiscriminately use oils as situations warrant.

I'd probably up Dex and Con first, since survivability is paramount. Focus on quick and then group style with the Witcher sword, and strong style then quick style with the Silver sword. Aard is useful in the beginning (especially during the chapter 1 boss fight), but once you get the fear effect on Igni, it is infinitely more useful.

It is overall an okay game that gets incredibly tedious at times.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 24, 2012

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Picked up Bastion from the incredibly awesome Humble Bundle. Anything I should know going in?

All the weapons are pretty much viable, so pick whatever ones suit your playstyle best.

Some of the challenges can only be beaten by using the lock on button (I think it's Shift on the keyboard?), so just remember that. I didn't really find a use for it later in the game. Also, you can cheese some challenges with the one Werewolf potion, where you get crits when your health is < 20% or whatever. Just fall off the edge of the map until it procs, then enjoy your massive criticals.

If you miss a drop, don't worry. It'll be in the Lost and Found.

Don't listen to the soundtrack until you hear the song in the game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Anything for Devil Survivor 2, while we're on the subject?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Jjaarreett posted:

Anything for Siberia? Didn't see it in the Wiki and you never know if adventure games will be the kind that love to screw you over or not v:shobon:v

Well it's after 1990 so no, Syberia will never do anything to render the game unbeatable.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Centipeed posted:

The wiki page for Deus Ex: Human Revolution tells me which augs/upgrades I can safely avoid, but which should I be going for first? I already know I should be getting Typhoon for the bosses.

Also, how does the Typhoon work, exactly? Do you need to be up close to the enemy, and then fire it off? I don't want to waste ammo finding out.

Though I suppose I could waste the ammo and reload the save, asking just seemed easier.

I went for the double takedown first, followed by the hackings (get to hacking level 3, then get the stealth upgrades to reduce the chance of detection, then finish up to 5), followed by the wall breaking upgrade. All of these upgrades give you more points (and various fringe benefits for the hacking), so the rest doesn't really matter as much. You don't really need Typhoon for the first boss if you have some degree of FPS cover shooter skills, since the fight is really simple (he shoots at you, you shoot him when he isn't shooting at you), whereas the other two are sorta annoying so gently caress them. Get up next to them, hit Typhoon, eat a protein bar if they're still alive, then hit Typhoon again because seriously, boss fights are horrible.

I would also recommend getting the Invisibility Cloak since it lets you skip large portions of the game, notably after you get all the upgrades you could possibly want and no longer feel the desire to knock out/murder everyone you come across. At the very least, with a large supply of protein bars, it lets you clear out rooms as well as Alpha Protocol's Stealth tree.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This has been covered over and over again, but it bears repeating once more: you absolutely can accomplish this in a non-lethal playthrough.

It's all about threat assessment--prioritize targets in order of the risk they pose to your friend, not to you (also, I hope you have an EMP grenade before going into this fight!).

If you run to that elevator too early like a coward, you deserve the scene you get to see, you heartless piece of poo poo :colbert:

This scene is a huge pain in the rear end to do nonlethal, and I suspect it is why I didn't get the achievement. The problem is that the mech gets dropped right next to two dudes. The problem is that the mech BLOWS UP when it dies, which will kill the people that you presumably knocked out. Also, one of the guys on the second floor is next to an explosive barrel, which wouldn't be a big deal normally, except I've seen him strafe while trying to shoot me, instead shooting the barrel and exploding (and killing) himself.

Nonlethal is a punishing way to play the game and you may not even get the drat achievement for it.

Oh, another DX3 tip is that when you get to China, you'll get a mission to infiltrate a bar. Do not go through the sewers and explore the cellar. Instead, go up on the main floor and start talking around. There will be a conversation battle there that you may miss if you did what I did and explored.. The game has a few instances where exploring sort of penalizes you, either in wasted time (this is especially true in hubs, as you will likely get quests that hit each of the major locations) or in the situation above.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Gorilla Radio posted:

Old school question: How far should I read in the various Rift War series before I play Betrayal at Krondor?

The first four books (Magician: Apprentice, Magician: Master, Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon) are still a good introduction to all the various characters and their relationships, though! My elementary school self highly recommends them (I hear they do not hold up at all but I will never find out because I want to preserve my memories).

That being said they also novelized Betrayal at Krondor. Then Feist dropped that series and started another one so I have no idea if the plot threads were ever resolved.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So I just got Dark Souls off Amazon, beat the first boss, then realized I had no idea what the hell I was doing while building my character, so any tips and tricks in that regard would help. I'm just sorta flailing about with a sword and then I got beat up by some stone dude in a club and another golden dude with a 2H sword and goddamn.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

GhostBoy posted:

* Always move. Learn to read tells for big attacks by watching mob animations. Learn to dodge. Attacks only connect if the attacking models weapon (or the arrow) intersect with the target. You can sidestep arrows even without dodging (though it's much easier if you dodge).

As a corollary to this, dodging does not have to physically evade the attack. It just gives you a bunch of invincibility frames. As such, dodge to get a better position on the enemy, even if that means moving closer.

You will be downleveled when you are in zones that you are too high level for. This is meant to make things constantly a challenge, but in reality, you have equipment and traits to make you much more powerful, but still, be mindful of your HP.

Underwater combat is terrible for anyone besides an Engineer. Yes, those krait do have a seemingly infinite aggro range.

Explore the world. It's probably the best thing about the game, and it's full of little secrets. Lion's Arch has 3 jumping puzzles, see if you can find them!

Also, there's a new tier, pink/Ascended, that is below orange/Legendary, but power wise they are equivalent. Unfortunately, acquiring Legendary items pretty much becomes another day job and Ascended gear isn't that fun to grind for either. Exotics (Yellow) used to be equivalent to Legendary, but then Anet lost their design documents or something. People are very bitter about this.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Idiootti posted:

I'm about to embark on The Longest Journey. I'm also completely new to point-and-click adventure games. What should I know?

Before you do anything with the rubber ducky (other than picking it up), save. There's possibly a bug that will make that puzzle, and it is one of like two terrible puzzles in the game, unsolvable. Other than that, the game's puzzles are challenging but fair and the game itself is pretty straightforward, but I'm used to "adventure game logic" so you may feel different. It's a great game, though, so enjoy it!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Anything for Devil Survivor 2? The first one had a few "blink and you'll miss it" things, 'it' being ways to save people. Also, the viability of any builds would be helpful too, as I tend to go Strength builds in SMT games and that kinda screwed me last game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Im_Special posted:

Anyone got any advice for Orcs Must Die!? I just started playing it, and with the limited upgrade skulls you get I'm a little worried of upgrading the weaker traps that aren't all that useful for late game, so what's overpowered and worthy of skulls?

Don't worry about getting 5 stars on your first run through a level. You get new toys as the game goes on, and more skulls as you complete levels, which makes it easier to 5 star earlier levels. Also, the swinging mace + tar pit is a ridiculous combo that will kill 99% of all orcs walking through them, so find a choke point and exploit the poo poo out of it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Robzor McFabulous posted:

I finally got round to getting Final Fantasy 9 from the PSN while on sale. I've had a look at the Wiki entry for some things to watch out for, but it didn't say anything about potential missables. Is there anything worthwhile I need to find/do before certain points of the story? FF7 had quite a bit of this, including two possible party members.

In addition to stealing from bosses, try to do Chocobo Hot and Cold to get the Chocographs or whatever they're called. The game is stupid and some of the Chocographs are utter bullshit (Ocean :argh:), but you get equipment 1-2 dungeons in advance, if they're not already unique.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Anything I should know for 999?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

KingSlime posted:

I could use some Final Fantasy Tactics pointers. Like, is it the type of game where you can screw around and still beat the game relatively easily or should I shoot for certain builds asap? Also anything major I might miss?

I don't know if this is on the wiki, but make backups for saves. There are some battles that are consecutive, in that you can't grind between them if they end up being way above your level. These also tend to be very difficult battles, so keep a save before the series, and then a save during the series, so that you don't get caught with your pants down.

Ramza has to solo occasionally, so make sure he is a tough dude. Don't, for example, make him into a White Mage. I mean, I guess there is some arcane way for this to work, but it is much easier to just make him a Monk, Knight or a Ninja for these battles.

Do not use Rafa or Malak. They are terrible despite having pretty awesome sounding class names.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

KoldPT posted:

Unit placement is entirely random in King's Bounty games, so you could *theoretically* have 0 of them in your entire game.

It's not entirely random, as some I believe are set so as not to entirely screw you. But, if you only ever get a handful of Demonologists, you can exploit the hell out of the Sacrifice spell, especially if you combine it with the mind control spell, so that you're "sacrificing" enemy units while replenishing your own. But if you aren't playing a Wizard, then I would suggest grabbing a stack of some of the infinitely disposable units, like Crossbowmen, and just Sacrifice them near the end of a fight.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

PonchAxis posted:

What should I know about Soul Hackers on the 3DS?

I haven't beaten the game or anything, so I don't know about any mid to late game things, but here's what I do know.

Your main character will never be able to use Magic, so choose your stats appropriately. Nemissa is ridiculously overpowered with Magic, so choose her stats appropriately.

Don't play it the same as other SMT games. Instead, try to use the fewest amount of Demons necessary, as they will suck up your MAG and that is your best source of money in the game. I generally only run around with like, one auto attack demon and maybe one magic demon. On bosses, I would bring in a support or healer demon.

Your demon's personalities dictate how to raise their loyalty. Dumb demons increase loyalty via giving them the Go command. Wild demons like to physically attack. Sly demons like to magically attack (although I've noticed that despite this, they still won't loyalty up). Kind demons like to cast heal/support spells, or just use the Guard command. Calm demons like to do the most optimal thing (I have no idea what this really means). Sly and Calm demons are the hardest to increase loyalty, so if you want to increase their loyalty, give them the booze that changes them to Kind demons, then have them Guard.

Playing the casino will give you equipment that will break the game. Getting some of the Mystic Change items will not really break the game, but will give you a huge advantage. Nekomata is a particularly good candidate for this.

Play this game wearing mirrorshades because it is 90s cyberpunk as gently caress.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Luminaflare posted:

Actually I just started playing Jedi Knight II, any advice for that?

Go heavy lightsaber style, turn your back to your opponent, press back and attack, and you should do a swinging attack that one shots everything. This is especially abusive in multiplayer, since you can turn while this is happening to make sure that the lightsaber whoever you want.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Endless Space

I would say that like a Suikoden game, there's no real shame in looking at a FAQ for the characters, especially for extremely useful characters like HELP. But unlike Suikoden, there's no real payoff in the end.

The game is not terribly fun, but the story and characters were intriguing enough to keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Does anyone have any tips for Eador? I'm on the first shard and I can pretty much beat any combat, but I don't see a way to actually defend my territories, so when I take over a territory and the enemy inevitably takes it back, they somehow poo poo out like 9 units to defend it which means I have to slog my way back. The only thing I can do is make an outpost, but those are prohibitively expensive for me right now.