Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

DakianDelomast posted:

What do I need to know about X3 Terrian Conflict to give the game a fair chance? Any starting tips or latter tips?

It depends on where you start in the game but you might have a hidden ship or two in sectors near where you start. One ship that is very useful for getting trade rolling and is easy to get if you start in the space near Argon Prime is located In one of the six Boron sectors a bit to the north

If you want to know the exact sector or it's coordinates, check the X3:TC thread, this small hint is probably vague enough for you to feel a sense of accomplishment when you find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ddraig posted:

That said, Repair is probably the most invaluble skill in the game. It will be useful no matter what other paths you take.

I'm really excited that repair is such a big deal. I would have tagged it if I had know that it'd actually be used so often.

I'd recommend that you experiment a little with combat, you're equally effective with all types of weaponry in the beginning because you suck at everything. You might just find that you LOVE hitting things with baseball bats or that pistols are more fun than you thought.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Fare Thee Well posted:

Getting Tidus' final weapon is not difficult. Get in front of the chocobo racer and try to nab as many balloons as you can, but dont go out of your way. Its more important to avoid the birds than to grab balloons.

Wear boxing gloves while doing the chocobo race. This will make it more difficult but will save your hands when you go into the inevitable berserk rage.

It's tough but possible. Don't let the chocobo race ruin your day though.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Wins7ow posted:

Just started Rune Factory 2.

What should i be focusing on in generation one? I don't have much money so I can't buy many seeds, and clearing the field is trivial compared to the first game. I've started clearing the help request missions, but I end up going to bed with a good amount of life and RP, which feels like a waste. What am I missing, and anything else I should be working on?

I've been trying to grow some of the long term crops because for first gen you start off with good tools. I figure I'll leave those crops in the refrigerator for later.

Also, earn a bunch of money, get a bunch of fodder and get a wolf.

Edit:
Added the quote because there are a lot of games in here, I don't want anyone trying to save up food for their animals and capture a wolf in Fallout 3.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 19, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Persona 4

I've only peeked at the manual and I'm going to start playing tomorrow. I played about half of Persona 3 if it matters.

I think I can handle it on my own but if there are any "if you do X you will regret it forever" I'd like a heads up.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

tim kashew posted:

I'm a little ways into Disgaea DS, and I feel a bit overwhelmed between all the Senate stuff and the Item World and so on. Plus I got to the first boss fight and all the regular units are doing crazy amounts of damage with spells and bows. Am I missing something obvious here, or am I just underleveled? It also seems like I'm awfully broke almost constantly, what's the best way to level up a bit and make a little money?

If you die against Midboss, even in the first chapter, it unlocks new game+ and you can add Plenair to your team. A lot of people recommend it. Otherwise focus on leveling up Laharl. You sorta have to cheese a little bit to get anywhere.

Also at first opportunity, have Laharl create a Cleric. If Laharl is adjacent to the cleric, he'll be able to cast her spells. Have him cast healing spells on himself until he gets to a level 1 mastery. This will increase your survivability.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just started playing Syndicate for the PC.

I finished the first mission okay but I'm not sure what I should be researching.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lacolo posted:

Definatly get the minigun IIRC, it tears poo poo up so badly. Just remember to abuse the persuadatron a ton as well, you can get a personal army in no time.

Things have been going pretty good so far. I just had some bad experiences with X-Com and I'm really worried that after a string of really easy missions I'll suddenly be fighting off lobstermen with nuclear rocket launchers.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Capsaicin posted:

Any tips for the Advance Wars series?

Which one? The tactics are a little bit different in each one.

Make sure you don't lose units, it's cheaper to repair them. Make sure you utterly destroy enemy units so they can't repair them.

In some of the games there are missions that are unlocked by capturing special buildings. Those will unlock units that are otherwise only usable by black hole.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Big daddies are never hostile unless you attack them or the little sister.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Baroque posted:

So I picked up The Dark Spire for DS...

Step 1, have a fighter in the first position
Step 2, change formation to heroic.
Step 3, buy the best armor you can for the fighter while ignoring everyone else.

This will put a very low AC character in the front row and make everyone else pretty much invincible unless the fighter dies or you fight an enemy that can do ranged attacks or magic.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Kin posted:

Have they taken out the crazy easy power levelling levels in this version?

The DS version has two levels designed for power leveling. Both a group of 9 enemies on EXP+ squares.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zvahl posted:

When you have the money, buy the Bandit Glove in Herlie. Save your game, then go into Clik BEFORE IT IS DESTROYED in a private action. Watch the event where Filia predicts the town's doom, and pickpocket her to get the Mischief. This accessory tosses crap at you the entire game, including cash and little trinkets that give you free levels. It is amazing and wonderful.

The mischief is the coolest item in the game. I played through the destruction of clik a few times and had to stop because I was using Bleem instead of a real Playstation. The mischief is an awesome little item to have. It's the sort of thing that makes people say that SO2 was one of the best PS1 RPGs.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Salt Block Party posted:

Anything for Titan Quest and expansion? I mean, it doesn't look too complex, but what are some good skills to take and masteries to avoid and such.

Dream mastery is overpowered. You did the right thing by getting the expansion, there was no item storage in the original. As long as you pick two good mastery spheres, you'll be okay. You can always reset your points, for a cost. The cost maxes out at a level that is pretty manageable at higher levels.

Mages are a lot harder to play than warriors. If you're going to do a mage, you might want a buddy.

This website is really useful if you are having a hard time finding something for a quest or for any general help.
http://www.gamebanshee.com/titanquest/

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
For the Wiki, make sure that the front page emphasizes the point of the Q&A. This isn't a place to tell people playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 about the Illusionist/Seer combo that lets you attack every enemy on the map three times.

A more appropriate thing would be to warn people playing Final Fantasy 12 that there are certain chests you need to not open until the end of the game.

It's good to tell people trying out X-Com that they ought to skip their first turn so they don't get slaughtered on their way out of the sub. Also, it's good to warn newbies that certain research can make the game unwinnable.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Another Evil Genius tip. There's a config file that lets you adjust the maximum number of minions. Increase that to make the game a little easier.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Stalker - Call of Pripyat

...of SCIENCE! posted:

One mission requires you to navigate a minefield. The way to check for mines is to throw a bolt at the ground, if it makes a metallic clang instead of the usual dull thud that means there's a mine.

That is useful but the minefield is also a puzzle, there's a safe route through it. If you think you see a possible safe path, use the bolts to check.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
For X-Com: It is almost always a good idea to skip your first turn. The aliens start with full TU reserved and will reaction shot you like crazy as you leave the UFO. If you wait one turn they will waste a lot of TU just running around in circles.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm playing a bunch of retro crap for fun (as I am wont to do), so I'd love anything for Final Fantasy 1 (NES version), 4, and 6 (SNES versions).

Buying potions from the store and using them is a good way to increase your survivability at a certain point in the game, probably around the time you reach the earth cave. You've got a ton of inventory space that you may as well use.

The boss guarding the float stone is set to the tile and can be fought repeatedly. If your entire party is wearing prorings you should be able to kill him with ease.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lizard Wizard posted:

Stellaris, please!

Keep an eye on your neighbors. If one of them has an aggressive personality like "Fanatic Purifiers" you need to ensure your military strength is about equal to theirs in the diplomacy screen.

Vassalization is a really good way to boost your military power. Vassals create fleets that will follow your largest stack in wartime. At the least, they'll act as cannon fodder.

The AI is kinda bad at managing planets right now, for your sectors and for other empires. When you use sectors, you might want to build planets up before turning them over.

On sectors, there's not much benefit to having multiple. Put as many as you can into one mega-sector and give them a 5 star Governor. (Sector govs don't earn XP)

Torpedoes seem to be pretty good.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't think I finished X-2, but I remember that 100% isn't a reasonable goal for first playthrough.

X was a very serious game, X-2 is the girls flying around doing cool stuff, just play it and have fun with the goofy game.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Novolin posted:

x-2 has some weird poo poo where there's missable items off screen in the tutorial area that count towards 100%, iirc. its basically impossible to get 100% on your first go without a guide

By that, do you mean that you can get it on New Game +, or you're just screwed?

Because if you can screw yourself, it's a definite "What should I know?"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

My Lovely Horse posted:

None of the businesses you can buy are really worth it, they generate income but it's so little that even making your initial investment back would take longer than you'll probably play the game.

Which means you'd better be a billionaire by the time you finish the assassination missions if you don't want to wait the rest of your life to buy all the stuff.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Anatharon posted:

Since GOG gave it out for free I'm trying System Shock 2 for the first time. How does character creation work? I just went Navy since hacking sounds like a solid bet in the kind of game and hoped it wasn't a complete waste. :v:

The game's kinda infamous for screwing you if you build badly, apparently. So uh, how should I build my character?

I'm playing on Hard, is that a bad idea?

Navy is a great way to start

Great skills:
Hack, Maintain, Standard Weapons
Good skills
Heavy Weapons

Great skills:
Strength

Research can stay at 1.

For everything else, guides willl either tell you that they're super important skills or worthless.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's difficult because there are several really powerful builds that are very different.

When I played, I did pistols and stealth and the only place I had problems was with the boss fight in Moscow, so it really is a good idea to do a little in Taipei to unlock some intel.

You can totally go a different route and do shotguns, which makes stealth less useful.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Erdos posted:

Just bought RimWorld on steam and I didn't see anything in the first few pages of it's thread. Any tips?

The little automated gun emplacements aren't that strong, but enemies prioritize them so not only does it help control the places your enemies attack, it keeps your colonists alive a little longer.

With pod crash landings, 'rescue' means they leave after you treat them, to keep them in the colony you have to capture them and convince them to stay.

Horseshoe posts are cheap and train shooting.

Make sure to change the selected material when building. My first colony was made of a lot of steel, and early on, steel is valuable.

5x5 rooms with only a bed are just big enough to avoid negative moodlets for being cramped.

Hauling is a huge time sink, so be thoughtful about stockpiles. Having a priority stockpile set at a high priority near a crafting table will save a lot of time in the long run. Similarly, make sure it's a short walk from your fields to your fridge.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ravenfood posted:

Anything for Gat out of Hell? Its been awhile since I played SR3 and SR4, but I'm mostly familiar with those two.

It's been a while since I've played, but off the top of my head, no. Just have fun loving up New Hades.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
To be fair, if you come into this thread asking about a brand new game, don't expect great advice.

The idea is that there are games where we've already explored thoroughly, and have some early pointers based on that.

For a new game, just talk to the people who are currently figuring it out.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

1redflag posted:

You mean, like, by asking them for some hints in the "before I play thread"? :confused:

No, the giant thread full of people who just bought the game and are playing it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Sorry for being lovely about posting in this thread. I didn't realize that the megathread sucks. I won't complain anymore about nms posts.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RatHat posted:

Anything for Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut? The page on the wiki is mostly for the base game so some stuff might not apply anymore.

For a second, I thought you were asking about Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and I was about to flip out.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Examples? Just because you're not playing a class perfectly optimally doesn't mean you've made a trap build. The difference between a perfectly optimal build and something strictly middle of the road isn't actually that huge in PoE.

I mean, it's possible to make bad characters yes, but you basically have to take the stupidest options at drat near every juncture to accomplish that. This isn't a 3.X DnD game.

I put all my points into Profession: (Cooper)
Now my character sucks at everything except barrel related challenges.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

It occurs to me that you may be thinking of Path of Exile (which I have never played, one looks at that skill tree scared me away) when we're talking about Pillars of Eternity.

Nah. I'm just making a dumb comment about D&D that's, in retrospect, only peripherally related to the topic at hand.

I'm sure it's possible to make an underpowered character in Pillars of Eternity, but I don't think you need to really worry about making a super optimal character if you just want to play the game.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Xander77 posted:

Can someone like, explain the basic gameplay of MGS Ground Zeroes / 5 to me? My stealth game experience basically consists of Deus Ex 1-3 and Dishonored, where I'd generally put all the guards to sleep, kill the few that discovered me, and then explore the level in peace.

The MGS conceit of "yeah, guards will keep waking up and spawning from off-screen, and when you hit the alarm they will come pouring out of a clown-car building, and you'll never ever ever be safe and free to explore" just makes me throw up my hands and uninstall.

You can absolutely be a super sneaky person. There's an option that's on by default that will give you bullet time if you're detected so you can tranq them in the face.
You can even get a helper companion who has an option for a tranq sniper rifle, so as you work through the base, someone else is helping you put people to sleep.
You also have a tool called the fulton that you can use to make incapacitated enemies go away.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Dragoon posted:

I bought Conquest of Elysium 4 since it was on sale and the concept was intriguing. However I got no idea what to do since every class plays so differently.

This thread is three pages long and full of what I think are good tips:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751296

Ainsley McTree posted:

Anything for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided? Mostly I'm wondering if any augs are essential early on vs. what can wait. Also if there's any clear winners when it comes to equipment?

In Human Revolution unlocking the access new areas augs (wall punch, high jump, etc) was essential, and silenced pistols were baller so I'm going to assume this is still true unless someone tells me otherwise.

It's probably a good idea to try and keep 2 praxis free at all times in case you run into an obstacle that you need to jump over, punch through, move, hack or breathe through.
If you pick up a gun that you already have, you get only the ammo. You can drop weapons anywhere so if you want to make some money don't pick up duplicate guns. They'll stick around for quite a long time (I think Prague stays the same until you go to the helipad.) Pick up one of each gun, sell them. Repeat. I haven't found much to buy other than the two praxis points.

If you like being a sneaky puncher guy, I found that I haven't needed a gun much at all. In the tutorial mission I needed the tranq rifle at the very end for the ambush. In prague, there's a story mission that you use a helicopter to go somewhere. I needed an emp round from a pistol to take out one guy. I don't know about after that.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 30, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
As a kid, I probably spent more time reading the manual than playing the game. Arcanum was kinda hard.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
You should probably stick to only authorized game secrets unless you're sure you can handle the unauthorized ones.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Poison Mushroom posted:

- Learn the pros and cons of each of your characters.

Donkey
He's the leader of the bunch, you know him well
He's finally back to kick some tail
His Coconut Gun can fire in spurts
If he shoots ya, it's gonna hurt
He's bigger, faster, and stronger too
He's the first member of the DK crew

Tiny

This Kong's got style, so listen up dudes
She can shrink in size, to suit her mood
She's quick and nimble when she needs to be
She can float through the air and climb up trees
If you choose her, you'll not choose wrong
With a skip and a hop, she's one cool Kong

Lanky
He has no style, he has no grace
This Kong has a funny face
He can handstand when he needs to
And stretch his arms out, just for you
Inflate himself just like a balloon
This crazy Kong just digs this tune

Diddy

He's back again and about time too
And this time he's in the mood
He can fly real high with hisjetpack on
With his pistols out, he's one tough Kong
He'll make you smile when he plays his tune
But Kremlings beware 'cause he's after you

Chunky

Finally, he's here for you
It's the last member of the DK crew
This Kong's so strong, it isn't funny
Can make a Kremling cry out for mummy
Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
Makes crushing rocks seem such a breeze
He may move slow, he can't jump high
But this Kong's one hell of a guy

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mystic Stylez posted:

Anything for Danganronpa 1 & 2?

Don't read any wikis or spoilers.
You can repeat trials to get more coins, so don't worry about running out or obsessively checking everywhere.

You can repeat chapters to max out relationships if you want, but there's an unlocked mode at the end that makes it very easy to do.

Just have fun and enjoy it.

There is nothing but despair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

al-azad posted:

Don't even do an image search. There's official character art that straight up spoils the ending.

I'd also set the trial difficulty to easy. It's a bunch of clunky timed minigames and while they're not that bad overall it's still an annoyance in the way of neat trials.

Could you PM me the one you're referring to? There's so many secrets and spoilers that I can't even tell who you're talking about. (I think I know)