Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Zaodai posted:

*roboquest stuff*

Somehow I've never even heard of this game at all. It looks pretty nice though, and I really like roguelite action games. Worth paying for you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Dr. Quarex posted:

Second off though, are the double jump legs verified to be better than the high jump legs? I kept reloading and testing them against each other and I swore I got higher with the high jump legs overall. Might be personal preference, honestly, not sure.

If they aren't better they are certainly more satisfying. They also probably have more horizontal reach since it extends float time while moving through the air.

Goofballs posted:

No traps really. The crafting is not interesting.

1) Don't spend money on upgrading weapons. A mook is always going to drop a better weapon within the hour. By upgrading I mean go to the crafting menu and spending mats on upgrading the gear.

I actually really liked upgrading because it allows you to take any weapon you really like the feel and play of and make it as good as you want it to be (or at least can afford). I would say it's not a bad idea to wait until about 3/4 through the game, though, when the pickups can stop being so great. You should have a crapload of upgrade materials of all kinds by then. I've got a tech rifle that has hose little auto-tracking bullets and I liked it so much I basically made it a legendary item in terms of damage

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Im_Special posted:

Is there anything I should know about Loop Hero? Also kinda wondering specifically about the camp/base building part. Is layout for that important?

I noticed a few builds like the "unlock the Rogue class building" can only be built next to a Kitchen, and how Farms will grow gardens around them on empty tiles, I worried this is some kinda of meta thing I should be planning a head of time on or will just cause extra grinding later as I need to dismantle/rebuild stuff to fix things. Is there some kind of optimal setup I should know about.

Any other tips are welcomed too!

The developers admitted that the base camp was added basically as an afterthought, just to give something for players to do, no matter how shallow, in between runs. Exact placement hardly matters, buildings that unlock cards are good of course and the ones that unlock classes are the best just because they give you a new way to play.

Generally there are plenty of slots for buildings, and also you can always destroy a building if you need to put something else there, so I really wouldn't worry about placement. Maybe start by working in a certain direction so most of the area remains available.

Short answer: I wouldn't spend any time worrying about it. You'll probably be short of certain crucial resources eventually that aren't easy to get anyways, so plenty of space should remain.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Maneater? Is it preferrable to play it on controller or KB/M?

Controller

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Any hints for ReCore?

Wish I could help but I literally got stuck at one point with seemingly nowhere to go. So my advice is, don't do that.

ducttape posted:

Got to thinking about it, some tips to reduce the overwhelmingness to a new Bomber Crew player:

1) Use hotkeys. Numbers select crew members, R tells gunners to reload, and you can hold shift to go to internal view temporarily. Other keys that you will use less often are F to tell someone to go to bed, and P to promote them to emergency pilot.

2) High altitude is your breather. Fighters can't follow you. You can't stay up there forever, but you can take a second to breathe, and tell your top and bottom gunners to reload (tail could probably reload as well, but nose won't have enough time until you get better O2 bottles, or if you had already carried an ammo pack up there)

I posted that game in the New Games thread but didn't actually realize it was any good. I'm definitely gonna try it out from what's being said here, sounds pretty interesting.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

gohuskies posted:

I got Bomber Crew a while ago and just got around to playing it, and is it supposed to be insanely hard? I'm having guys die on literally the first non-tutorial level. I do the main target then my navigator keeps sending me to random places all over the map that are not returning to base. I thought this was supposed to be like FTL and FTL can be challenging, but this seems absolutely merciless. I must be doing something wrong. It's the first couple levels!

Alright I played this game quite a bit yesterday and I've got some more tips. These aren't all for just the first level:

1) Out of the three first mission options, I believe the search and rescue where you drop the supplies is the easiest for sure. Start with that one. You should be able to drop the supplies before you need to mark the fighters, so do that as quickly as you can. After you drop you just need to destroy a couple groups of planes which if you man all your guns shouldn't be too hard. Also, and maybe you already realize this but just in case, after the tutorial you should recruit as many new guys as the game will let you. It doesn't explicitly tell you that so maybe you weren't, those extra gunners and bomb dropped are crucial.

2) It's easier to click on the correct character's portrait on the left than to find them in the plane, it can be hard to click the right thing sometimes. As was suggested before use hotkeys because the clicking can be really fiddly.

3) Once you've survived the first mission, you can redo them before doing the big crucial missions that have different color icons. Doing these again is wise since you can continue upgrading.

4) Raising armor for your characters is good even with speed costs in my opinion. I don't waste anything on survivability since I'm just gonna quit out and try again if the plane goes down. But O2 levels and warmth can be important for going to high altitude where the fighters can't get you.

5) You can replace items in the utility shelf within the plane from the plane menu. In my experience medkits are the most useful, but you'll probably want at least one fire extinguisher on the tougher missions. You can also upgrade the plane to give yourself more utility shelves and even make the shelves hold multiple utility items each.

6) Upgrade your plane's armor all over as soon as you can. Gun upgrades are good too, especially on the rear and upper guns and eventually you'll need engine upgrades to haul everything.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Barudak posted:

For Tales of Arise

Shionne has a lot of artes related to poisoning and other status effects. They are all arial artes and none of her ground artes launch her in the air to use them and she won't jump on her own, so if she is ai controlled she will never, ever use them unless you manually command her to do so. I mention this because you may be tempted to invest her skill points into boosting her power with these skills or buying more of them, but unless you are controlling/manually making her use them they are dead points.

Good tip, thanks.

Have you experiemented at all with controlling Shionne or Rinwell during combat? I've mainly just stuck to Alphen but this sewer monster is incredibly hard and it just doesn't seem to be working this time. The AI is so bad at keeping themselves out of danger, I'll be focused on doing some damage and all the sudden they both got one-shotted somehow. Maybe I am underleveled but I'm curious if I'd have better results controlling one of the lady characters?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Eh it's just as likely Alphen will be running into hits. The AI just....isn't great, especially against bosses. They'll dodge sometimes, but more often than not just get their face smooshed. Try levelling up a little bit, or just reduce the difficulty for that one fight.

Yeah, that just feels like losing sometimes though. I don't wanna do it. But I also don't wanna use up all my reviving/healing items on some stupid sludgy piece of poo poo. I'll have a couple more goes and if it doesn't work I'll just turn the difficulty down and level for a bit before the next boss so I can keep the normal diff

Are the other characters any fun to play as, anyways? Seems like Alphen is probably overall the best fit for the player character

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Law is snappy like Jude in Xilia and once you punch enough with him he gets boost auras that make him punch harder and faster until you eat poo poo

I assume I'm about to add him to the party after I save daddy. But he sounds fun to play as, I like the sound of that.

Zaodai posted:

If you're playing on Hard, just turn the difficulty down for that fight and turn it back up afterwards. It's the last boss fight before you have a full 4 person group, and the combat really is built around the assumption that you have 4 people's worth of attacks. Plus that boss' adds are complete horseshit. Playing as Shionne and Rinwell works fine, though if you play Shionne you have to heal which isn't everybody's cup of tea and Rinwell doesn't really take off until a bit later but she's perfectly viable if that's your jam.

If you really want to tough it out on hard though, grind for levels and prune the Artes that your other characters have turned on. Fire is obviously effective against that boss, so I'd probably cut Shionne down to just fire and healing artes. Rinwell doesn't have any fire yet, so her thunder one is probably her best bet if you've picked that up.

Nah I think you're right, probably just put it down to normal and it won't be a huge issue. I'm not willing to grind, screw that and the random monsters on the map seem to provide very little XP anyways.

The boss itself is totally doable but when it summons a swarm of those little magic using blobs it seems completely impossible, those fuckers can target you from anywhere and you can't stop all their artes.

As for pruning artes, how is that done? I've seen the menu where you set aggression and healing settings but I haven't seen where you can decide which artes your AI companions will use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Anything particular for Unsighted?

The parry is incredibly powerful and doesn't even drain stamina. Put stamina chips in because running out in combat is the best way to get killed fast. Using ranged weapons is fine but for some enemies you will need to get up close and personal. Sometimes you will think that you have to pass through a place with a puzzle but you actually don't so if you get totally stuck and going a certain way seems impossible try to get to the objective through a different path.

You can keep the standard difficulty and make the clocks go very slow for NPCs and yourself turning into Unsighted which I recommend, I hate time limits in games and I've pretty much never played a game twice and not gonna start now. That made me feel a lot better about the game, I don't want to feel like I need to constantly rush anyways.