Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Tales of Vesperia:

Christ, where to begin, this whole game is a Guide Dang It, despite it being awesome.

1. Never sell your starting weapons, or any other weapons, really. This becomes clear to you in the first few hours of the game once you're introduced to synthesis. Don't sell synth'd weapons either as some have 2 paths they can go down on and if you're trying to get every skill for a character, you'll want to synth both versions.

2. Any time you purify an aer krene, go back to the scene where you fought the boss/purified the krene, there'll usually be a cutscene involving a recurring character whose name and purpose you'll find out later in the game.

3. Explore towns thoroughly, talk to everyone, upon going to a new place, or returning to a place you've been before for plot related reasons.

4. Dahngrest is a hub for a lot of the optional quest stuff, make ESPECIALLY sure to chat everyone up on return trips here. Also, after a certain character is killed in that city, sleep at the inn with Karol in your party until he learns a skill.

5. A chunk of early game quests, as well as early game quests that spill into the late game are separated by the game's 3 chapters. Basically, you'll want to return to towns you've been in after getting your first mode of transport, then second mode of transport, the second being especially important as right after getting it you are taken on a plot-ride where you'll be practically on-rails to the end of that section of the game, and talk to everyone within, especially people you did not notice to be there before. Finally, before embarking on the quest to the last dungeon, which you will know, visit around, especially the place you just left!

6. End game stuff. Once you hear the word Aurnion, you can start exploring those rocky formations you've been seeing on the world map. Also, there's no point in doing any melee other than the 100/200 as the only prize prior to the 100 is gels and doubling the (pathetic) amount of gald you payed to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Any tips for Last Remnant, Xbox 360 version, as well as missables and things I should know?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

OxMan posted:

Any tips for Last Remnant, Xbox 360 version, as well as missables and things I should know?

Anyone?

Swiss Army Knife posted:

Looking on the wiki there was some stuff for CS 1.6, but as someone who's never really played either mind giving me some tips for Counter Strike Source?

Bullets fire in a cone-like shape in your crosshair, you should always ensure the crosshair is as small as possible when shooting, especially at a distance. Most people use assault rifles as they are the technical "best" for each side, aka the M4 and AK, so you should definitely get used to these. The M4 has better accuracy but is slightly weaker than the AK. Keep in mind with the AK, that the first bullet fired out, if you're still, will always go in the middle of the crosshairs, you can get headshots easily like this. Other good weapons to use are the P90, due to its high bullet capacity and relative accuracy, and when in a pinch, the Famas set to burst firing mode is a guaranteed kill on a headshot as well, and an accurate weapon overall.

Always, ALWAYS buy bomb defusers when playing CT, you never know when those last few seconds will count. Always prioritize offense vs defense when purchasing your round loadout. For example, if short on money, it's better to buy an AK and no armor than an submachine gun with armor. Never buy any pistol that isn't the Deagle, and if you have spare funds, always keep one on you, it's so good that it can be used as a primary weapon in itself.

Walk/crouch if you hear enemies, you may get the drop on them without them hearing you. Keep in mind that crouching, despite making you a smaller target, make your torso your head, and will give enemies easy kills at close range.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

For Tales of Vesperia, all you need is this: http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10143410717.html . 99 percent spoiler free and shows you every single missable. I want this for every single RPG ever made.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

sewersider posted:

Any hints and tips for Resident Evil 1 (GC-Wii Port version)?

You will be hard pressed for ammo in the beginning, but should have plenty of it by the midpoint (aka the return to the mansion with different enemies inside, you'll know what I mean when you get there). The game has Crimson Heads, aka zombies that you kill come back after a certain amount of time as half-licker looking zombies that are stronger, hit faster, and are generally a lot harder to kill. The only way to prevent a dead zombie from turning into a Crimson head is to burn them. Now, you can burn more than one at a time as long as they're dead next to each other, so in the case that you absolutely have to do it, this is the preferred way. However, you can go through the entire game without almost ever having to burn zombies, and having to stick gasoline in your already limited inventory space.

How can you do this? Simple. Kill only zombies in puzzle rooms/puzzle item rooms. As you make your way through your mansion, there will be many little side-rooms you will only have to go through once to grab an item, or solve a puzzle. Feel free to kill zombies in here with impunity, as you'll never have to go back to those rooms, and subsequently never have to kill a Crimson Head. In hallways, zombies are easily dodged. Even if your reflexes are slow, you can wait for a zombie to get close to you while you AIM downwards, and shoot him once in the leg, which will always stun him for just long enough for you to run right around him. (make sure you don't run into him, but around, so his lunge towards you misses) For areas/hallways with lots of zombies, this is what your quick kill items are for. Killing a zombie with a quick kill item will usually not have that zombie turn into a Crimson Head (at least with Chris), due to their heads blowing up. A lack of a head or fire will ensure a zombie will not come back as a Crimson Head.

Using these simple tactics will leave you with 120/50+ pistol bullets and 50+ shotgun rounds by the aforementioned main return to the mansion. As a sidenote, there will be a very used hallway that will at one point have 4/5 zombies coming in through a window. Use your shotgun here and try to drop them all in one spot, for an easy 1 gasoline burn fire cleansing.

As far as individual enemy tactics, zombies should always be dispatched with your pistol, and Crimson Heads (you'll have to fight at least one as a "boss battle" of sorts) fall to the shotgun. Hunters are also dispatched with a shotgun, or grenade rounds. Be especially careful with these guys as they CAN drop you in 2-3 hits. Tarantulas can often be shot off-screen, and using the pistol you can score critical hits in their front head area and drop them in one shot. They're also not particularly threatening enemies despite their appearance, so unless they're right next to you and attacking (usually when you encounter them they are still, and if shot offscreen, they sometimes won't come towards you) don't use the shotgun.

EDIT

Jill also has the 'easier' game, in that she can take out one boss by never really having to fight, and gets one more weapon than Chris, but Chris gets a stronger version of a weapon Jill gets (IIRC) and has more inventory slots, not to mention a better quick-kill, evening them out. I found Chris' game to be a bit more entertaining, but to a NEW player, Jill's would be a bit easier. Also, the quick kill I'm referring to is hitting a button when a zombie grabs you to have your character instantly dispatch them.

vvv

OxMan fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 17, 2009

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

PitifulLoser posted:

Final Fantasy VIII

Gamepro did 2 issues with a walkthrough of FF8 split in two way back in the day, and the absolute BEST thing about it, which all walkthroughs ever should have, was a list of missables, aka you can only get this summon stealing it here, you can get this item here, but then it's gone, you can only steal this awesome item from this boss, which was written in order, and by disc. If someone still has those issues, or knows where a similar thing could be found, I'll thank you by playing through the entirety of FF8.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Hexic HD has no end either.

I'd say that something that would probably be used more would be a list of games that CONTINUE after the game itself is done, the ending presented, and the credits played. Games such as the GTA series, Tales of Vesperia (AND with new game +) etc.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Any combat tips for Dragon Age on the CONSOLE? AOE spells seem absolutely useless as they hurt my melee guys attacking the enemies I'm trying to cast them on more than the enemies themselves, and attempting to position anyone is an exercise in futility. How am I supposed to do this? I tried telling everyone to stay in the same spot, then move people individually where I wanted them but this took so long that the enemies would be repositioned near the Wynne again by the time I finished moving Alistair, Morrigan, and myself. Combined with laying traps which, as a rogue (and as the game is pretty drat challenging), is pretty much required for any sort of non-cannon fodder fight, I find myself either dying repeatedly on an encounter until I get lucky enough to cheese it, or find each little fight taking 5-10 minutes due to all the micromanagement. The ghetto gambit system seems to be nigh useless on anything but their default settings.

Secondly, I've played a ton of WRPGs and CRPGs and I still can't quite figure out what kind of equipment each class does well with. Should I focus on spellpower boosting no armor stuff for mages, or should I outfit them in light armor that gives them some protection that gives bonuses to stats?

I'm currently fighting Sloth inside the Fade and by the time I reach his true form after the 4 shapeshifts my party's just tuckered out and I can't keep up with healing everyone.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

RagnarokAngel posted:

This ones kind of specific but early on in Jeanne d'Arc on PSP is there any advice for dealing with soul affinity? It seems like more trouble than it's worth since affinity of enemies seems entirely random and you only get 3 buff slots. Should I just not bother?

This depends on how far you're going to go through the game, and whether you plan on 100 percenting it or not, but by the time you get to a high enough level to defeat the last boss and beyond, your ridiculous wrecking 9 tile tornado spells and such will make mincemeat out of any and everything that matters, and I honestly can't remember affinities making a large, if not noticeable, difference in a fight. If there is one thing you SHOULD focus on it's spells spells spells, particularly those that hit a wide area, as they will make a lot of later bosses, especially the last one, go from ridiculously hard to a simple affair. Always keep at least 2 spellcasters on board, and make sure they stay updated. You'll figure out how to teach spells as you go through the game.

(feel free to correct me as I haven't played the game since the summer of 08)

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Sunday Punch posted:

I just got the Company of Heroes pack off steam. Anyone got any tips?

Single player: comp stomps aren't really fun since the computer outright cheats with resources.

Multiplayer: Pick an army and stick with it until you've learned what each unit does. The americans are the easiest to start out with as they have the most fleshed out campaign in single player that will familiarize you with most units. From there, (and if you're playing to win win win, you're probably only going to pick Airborne), pick a tree and learn how to use its special units in play.

One thing to remember about Company of Heroes is that it's a fairly micro intensive game. There are 3 phases to each encounter. One is the encounter itself, whether you approach it or the enemy does. Being in proper cover for the type of unit you have is ESSENTIAL. Keep in mind some units outright outrange other units, and most units have some sort of way of working together. Use units at their most effective range. For example, as brit soldiers, always run towards the enemy infantry, you do more damage with tommy guns up close. With the Panzer Elite's riflemen, stay at max range, as they get hit hard and can outrange a lot of infantry. Either of these units can win the fight, it's those that are used the most intelligently that will.

I played Panzer Elite. I liked starting an encounter with Riflemen, kiting the enemy back into my mortar

Secondly is the fight itself, where you position and maneuvre to the best area. Buildings are essential for defensive positions, or simply to reduce damage to your team while keeping up your offense. Keep in mind however that there are counters to this strategy. (brits have molotov cocktails, for example IIRC)

Third is the conclusion. If you won, chase enemies down until you destroy them or run into heavier opposition. A destroyed enemy means the denial of veterancy and wasted resources for your opponent. Company of Heroes is all about momentum. If you lose an encounter, and this is probably the most important tip in this post, don't be afraid to hit the retreat button. It makes your soldier retreat to your HQ or nearest battlefield HQ with faster speed and increased dodging ability. You'll heal your unit, keep whatever experience it gained, and have it be able to fight later. This is ESSENTIAL for every army.

The last thing, and second most important thing in this post, is despite having to concentrate on all of the fight, don't stop capturing points. This is your main objective at all points to be able to churn out more units, tech to a higher tier faster, and plain KEEP your momentum. if you're harassing different enemy held points constantly, you force your opponent to either concede the point, split his army to intercept, or move his force to destroy you. Either way, as long as you keep the initiative, you'll always be in control of the fight. A good opponent will try to do this to you as well, so keep up that momentum.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Nonvalueadded User posted:

Once you get the Rich ($1M) achievement, you can buy Spectre weaponry, which easily outclasses anything else you'll find in the game. The sooner you get Rich, the sooner you tear poo poo up like a Krogan Warlord in a room full of Salarian accountants. So buy the first couple of medigel/grenade upgrades and then save all your money until you're rich (first option).

The financial advice in ME is pretty useless, because you'll eventually get it as long as you go for a playthrough where you do every single sidequest you receive. Saving stuff early on and selling it and never spending your money is pointless because of how the game scales. Sure, you can "save up" those credits in the beginning but towards the end of the game you start selling things worth 20 times as much as the early things you get. The only actual advice is, after 3/4ths of the game, save up your money, because the stuff you save up early is inconsequential.

Since the game scales with level, if you do every single quest you can find you'll end up at around level 50/51 by game's end. Start saving up the money you get around level 40+ and you'll get the money no problem no matter how much you spend in the beginning.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

evil spiff posted:

Anything for Dragon Age: Origins (360)?

I feel like it may have been mentioned briefly earlier in the thread, but I have been following it since the beginning, so it's starting to run together a bit. :downs:

I've found (and hell, posted for help myself) with this game the 360 version is actually still harder than the PC version just because of the lack of isometric view. Don't be afraid to have every encounter be a min-max fest, the game is actually challenging. If you have a rogue in your party (and you really should), use traps. Tell your comrades to chill somewhere, lay down traps, then pull your encounter, it makes a huge difference. Don't be afraid to coat your weapons in poisons/what have you, saving them up is useless and using them comes in handy, every bit of extra damage does help. Mess around with the macro function of your allies, so that they don't suck when you're not controlling them. In particular, have Wynne save up all of her mana for healing and buffing. If you bought the game new and have access to the DLC, remember the equipment you get is probably the best gear you can get...for your level, it'll be outclassed in 1 or 2 armor tiers. If you care about that sort of thing, wait until the end to do those quests. AOE spells suck due to how hard it is to control your characters during the heat of the battle, and they'll probably run into them, use them only when the enemies are coming towards you and there is little to no risk of your allies getting hit by them.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Kid Moe posted:

Any tips for Battle For Middle-Earth 2? I can never start the game properly and am almost always overwhelmed, and if by the off chance i fight them back it always takes me far too long to build up a decent army, any pointers?

To add a bit on what the other guy said, and this is especially online, Elves are objectively the best race. They either excel or are the best at everything. Dwarves and Goblins are the worst.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Picked up a Japanese Dreamcast copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2 for decently cheap at a con this weekend. Any special things I need to know about either the Japanese version in specific or the Dreamcast version in general that would be different from more modern ports?

Unless I'm mis-remembering or mistaken, you'll basically never be able to unlock all of the characters in the JP version of the game without a gameshark or something similar due to the fact that some characters are only unlocked by (at the time) taking your VMU to japanese arcades and downloading character data from the arcade machines.

If you're looking to download the data on the VMU, if you check GameFAQ's Shenmue 1/2 FAQ pages there is a VMU hacking guide which will allow you to use the same method to place a "complete" VMU save of MVC2 with all characters unlocked onto your VMU.

VMU.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Mystic_Squid posted:

I just got Fallout 3 and Crackdown for cheap, anything I should know that's not in the wiki?

If you're planning on maxing out crackdown, you may want to get a guide for the Agility Orbs when you start the game, although either way it's going to be a pain in the rear end to get them all. Other than that, the game is meant to be enjoyed at its most base level. gently caress around, blow poo poo up, nothin' to worry about. About the hardest skill to level up is the vehicle one, I did it at that warehouse by the boat area where I drove around in a circle running gang members over but you can only fit through the bollards if you're in the sports car, so it's a bit rough. I'd recommend doing that one as soon as possible just so you don't have to deal with rocket launchers.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Scalding Coffee posted:

If it is PC version of Mass Effect... It was an rear end in a top hat thing to do when they gave you that admiral type guy who needs about 8 points and you can only get five at that point.

The game is designed with replayability in mind. That being said, I think that's the only encounter like that, however if you're playing legit/non modded you will only want to put your points in charm/intimidate so you can leave the rest of said points to place in combat skills, which make a huge difference on Hardcore/Insanity as everyone you fight will have shields and even some regular enemies will have immunities so you'll need to use your powers (and those of your team-mates) intelligently. Depending on how many times you're going to play through the game, the game actually gives you free points in those in an event early in the game, so if you're planning on making multiple replays with a single character, you'll have 3/4 free points in each. To get "everything" (if you're a gaming sperglord/OCD), you'll have to beat the game at least twice to unlock Insanity difficulty mode either way, and you most likely will do it with one character (unless you want a challenge of a level 1 starting insanity run)

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Orgophlax posted:

I've been playing through Castlevania Aria and Dawn of Sorrow and of course a big part of the game is collecting the enemy souls. I know that your luck stat effects the drop rate of everything (items and souls) so I'm using a PAR code to set my Luck to 999 in both games for maximum drops.

My question is with the Soul Eater ring. It says it causes souls to appear more and when equipped it increases your luck. Does the Soul Eater ring actually increase the drop rate for souls, or does it only do so by increasing your luck? I guess the better way to put it would be if there's any point to equipping the ring if my luck is already maxed out?

I know you've already maxed your LUCK out, but don't expect that to make a huge difference, as the maximum drop rate is actually capped regardless of luck. I don't recall what it's capped TO in the older games, but Portrait of Ruin is, for example,IIRC, 1/8.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Any tips for Star Ocean: The First Departure?

I get the gameplay...kind of. It seems with the whole L/R setup that I can switch characters mid-fight, but I haven't found the button to do this yet. (no manual, friend is indefinitely loaning me the UMD only). The hardest question I have is...well, I have NO idea what's going on with Specials and Techniques and Talents and those SP points I'm too afraid to spend. What's...well, all of it about?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Here's some more Puzzle Quest: DS crap since I just beat it a few days ago.

The computer cheats, first and foremost. It's a known fact, people bitched about it back in the day. It can see above the top line. If you're not gaming the poo poo out of the game like the guy with the spider mount, you'll probably hit the same hump my ex hit when she was playing, after the high 30s or so, poo poo will start to even out with you in HP, and you can't really rely on luck anymore. So, besides the obvious poo poo (get all the runes you can, constantly check any new area you go to, after you do whatever mission on it for runes, etc), is how to game the gameplay itself, and protect yourself as best you can from the computer's bullshit.

The computer next move hint that shows if you idle on your turn for more than 5 seconds has 2 main priorities to show you. First is 4 of a kinds, which you should hit, then skulls which, unless at a cursory glance you won't be giving the computer a next turn to hit you with, you should also hit. EVERYTHING ELSE it suggests is bad for you and is to set the computer up with a better move. Unless it's 4/5s or skulls, never do the suggested move. Lose a life or 5 or whatever making an illegal move, then wait for the computer. Chances are it'll either mana drop, no moves possible, or set you up for something better (that you can't see yet) next turn. Cheating computer and next turn bullshit is apparently a feature exclusive to the DS version, AFAIK.

If you have multiple choices in a move to make, even if you need mana for a particular spell, you don't really need mana for any spell. Your priority is always not giving the computer a good next move, you'll get the mana by playing normally eventually. With that being said, always try popping gems as close to the top as possible. That way, less falls all the way down, giving the computer less new gems to play with. You'll notice the computer will also do this to you, unless it wants mana for a spell, or wants something to fall in the visible spectrum so it can have it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Nick Buntline posted:

The computer does not cheat. At all.

In the PC and 360 versions, maybe not. The DS version was made by a different DS shovelware developer that made Imagine:Gymnastics! and crap like that. It can see 4 rows (IIRC) above what you can, and does cheat by doing so. The original DS thread in archives should have the details, I even remember one of the big gaming blogs doing a write-up on the issue, and the original DS thread (I don't have archives) had all the details.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow was touched upon a couple of pages ago but there is one tip I find absolutely indispensable.

Those combos that you bought once and never really used again? They all come in handy against enemies you fight way after you get the moves and forget them. One of these which is amazing all around is the dash run x, y. It's one of if not THE fastest block breaker and is indispensable against faster enemies that block, like the sword masters. Guillotine should be used against broken skeletons (and the slimes that hold you in place from the Knight/Laura's dolls. The block, jump, jump combo that you can then counter attack on is great against all large enemies other than trolls, who turn too fast for that to be effective. Also purchase the heavy combos, as these stun medium sized enemies and allow you to do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. As a matter of fact, with lucky positioning, you can take out 2 sword masters that are fairied at the same time if you heavy X combo them while they're stunned on Knight difficulty while in shadow mode. Finally, against small enemies, especially on Paladin, the wings combo WRECK them. Y, A, A, or X, A, A to your hearts content, they won't be able to touch you and the wing burst does MASSIVE damage, especially if you're in shadow magic when you do it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

21stCentury posted:

What about the Holy Cross/Dark Cyclone/Really Evil Seismic Activity combos? Those saw next to no use from me...

I didn't use those much as their alternatives (aka, breaking the block), are usually better, being rooted to one spot is tantamount to suicide in this game, but I'd say if any manner of use, you can always pull one out on a stunned enemy. I'd say sadly the most badass and yet MOST useless attack are the variations on the sawblade move, mainly for the same reason (keeps you rooted in one place) All of the running start moves are worth doing though, they do disproportionately large damage for how easy they are to get off, I usually use them as an opener on enemies I have to run towards anyways.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Anything I should know about Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey for the DS? I've played Persona 2 years ago and played 3 and FES, though never beat them.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Holistic Detective posted:

Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask this but I just picked up Titan Quest in the steam sales and I'm having serious problems getting it to run properly. I'm getting single figure FPS even on the menu screens, I attempted to change the resolution but that resulted in the game crashing on start up (I managed to fix this problem by running testapp.exe in the steam directory, don't ask me why).

On top of that I tried to run Immortal Throne and the menu screen is completely black. I can still see the cursor and it makes sound effects when I mouse over the invisible buttons but that's it. It's infuriating me because I remember playing the demo and having it work fine.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this mess?

The only time I had an issue like this with Titan Quest was with an older graphics card, and I remember it having some issues with a specific card, though I can not remember what it was. Either way, upgrade your drivers for the existing card (the card I had that it wasn't running well on I BELIEVE was a 6600GT but I do not recall).

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Three Red Lights posted:

Alpha Protocol, what skills are good and are there any that will gently caress me over in late game if I dont upgrade them?

Chainshot, chainshot, chainshot. It is the single best skill in the game, and the reason every other weapon other than pistols is for the most part unnecessary. It also has the best weapon ability, the critical headshot.

Other than that, stealth and melee, in that order, are the other important ones. After you put a few points in stealth and have enough money for the first stealth armor, you'll spend every level sneaking up on guys and killing them, and when that's not available, you'll have good ol' chainshot.

As far as order to do things in, Taipei, Rome, Moscow is the best way to go about it, but any order works as long as you don't start with Moscow since its final encounter is by far the hardest boss in the game.

If you're going for the liked/hated achievements, it may be smart to look convos up in a guide, it's not always clear what will piss off a person and what would make them like you more with the way some of your response choices are named. Also, your first time through, play a recruit, it'll unlock Veteran once you beat it which is basically the only way you'll play through afterwards since it starts you out with almost 3 times the amount of starting skill points.

If you're looking to be gamey, then not killing anyone is usually the way to go, and will offer an arguably easier playthrough, but play however you like, the game is really made for replayability.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Skeezy posted:

Picked up Star Ocean: Second Encounter on a whim the other day and I just have to ask, is there anything I definitely should know before playing this? Aside from Star Ocean 3 and a bit of Last Hope I've never played any other SO game.

Did I make the right choice in picking SE over FD?

I personally really like the narrative, characters, and overall story of FD, but as games they're on the same remade engine, so are more or less the same game, mechanically. The game scales pretty well, so you COULD do some frighteningly broken poo poo in the beginning, and I'll let someone else handle the way you can break it, but as far as having to KNOW anything, save all of your talent exp until you get the ability that makes every other talent cost less exp. You essentially want to max that out FIRST, otherwise any points you'd put into anything else would basically be wasted. Not to worry, you get this relatively early in the game. There's also an ability which you may want to put the rest of your points in after, and that's the reduced exp to level. I believe there's also a skill that gives you more talent points after each fight, but I could just be crazy. That'd be worth maxing ASAP too.

Other than that (and one of my largest detractors in SE vs FD) is that there's a couple of big points of no return. Save before going to the military offensive beachfront, and do everything you can before and after it, because shortly after the beachfront you'll find yourself in some completely different scenery with no way to access anything from before, where the next half of the game takes off.

Choosing a character in the beginning changes the story narrative, and gives you an exclusive party member on each side, as well as the corresponding different sidequests because of it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Skeezy posted:

I ended up just getting First Departure as well. Haven't decided which I like yet so far. Still annoyed that my name has to be spelled CLAUDE (Wouldn't Claude suffice?) Anyways, ways to break the game a little in my favor would totally be appreciated.

All of the mechanics stuff I told you in the first post I made when you asked about the second one still apply. As far as breaking the game, just make sure as you're going through you're keeping someone leveled with blacksmithing. There are a few weapons you get at a certain part when you're going through a castle that will be taken away from you once you get back out...unless you use them to craft weapons with them. These are the either the first or second best weapons in the game.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Kid Moe posted:

Anyone have any tips on the Resident Evil Remake? For some reason i just find it incredibly difficult to manage all of these items, it seems i keep them all in my inventory "just in case" i need it on my travels.

Any general tips on how to approach the game? Also i die a lot

Oddly enough, I think the best tip to realizing how to approach that game is the same one as Dead Rising 2's. Don't think of zombies as the enemy, think of them as obstacles. Now, you should almost never need fire to burn a zombie so he doesn't turn into a crimsonhead? Why? Because typically "hallway" zombies that you continuously run into as you're running through the mansion should be dodged. Me, I suck at the game so I wait until one is next to me, shoot him while aiming downwards which stuns him for like a second, then run past him. The only zombies you SHOULD kill are the ones in rooms you're only going to be into once, which is the majority of them. If you must kill zombies in a hallway (a certain window that breaks, a door with that you can only go through 3 times), I'd recommend wasting a few shotgun shells. Killing them all in one place means you only need 1 bit of gasoline since as long as the zombies are next to each other touching, flame spreads. By the halfway point you'll have more handgun bullets than you'll know what to do with.

Remember one of the reasons you don't need to keep things with you is because all of the boxes have a shared inventory, so you can put something in a box in one part of the mansion and get it from the other side, you should typically leave all key related items in a box unless you know you're going to be using them.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Here are some unrequested tips for Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 since I just hit 40 hours in that game.

In the beginning of the storyline mode there are 4 paths. Complete all of these before starting on the joint paths, and do all the sidequesty collection or friendship missions. Always do the new memorial missions, these unlock very important things like the ability to get higher rank mobile suit plans and additional items. On the same note, as you're switching around pilots, don't be afraid to use your money to upgrade mobile suits you're going to be using for a few missions, because all the money spent in that place will unlock higher tiers of things equippable to your mobile suit. Once you have rank 4 plans and a rank 10 mobile suit shop, slap Ace Killer/Heat Up/Beginner's Aid on any rank 4 suit, use the bonus points on maxing out either shot or melee depending on what your suit does the most, and proceed to throw in lvl 1 pilots in them and still win 8 star missions on normal without much problems, leveling them up massively in the process.

After you hit rank 10 in the mobile suit factory, feel free to be cheap and buy a license for your most powerful mobile suit and chuck in pilots in it as you see fit, but remember that relationship missions and history missions require pilots to be in their original suits, or alternate suits they can be in.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

pigdog posted:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
There is a bug with a sidequest fairly early in Detroit, given by a undercover cop hooker, where you need to bust or help a dirty cop. One part of the sidequest involves killing 5 members of the gang and killing or optionally knocking out a guy they're protecting. Have a lot of saves before you take the mission and/or heading towards there, because one of these 5 dudes can get stuck inside a wall somewhere and the whole sidequest thus becomes unfinishable. It's pretty annoying, so make sure it doesn't happen to you.

Even if you kill/knock out the guys protecting the dude beforehand things can still be buggy. I did so, not knowing there was going to be a quest there later, and all sorts of weird crap happened, like for example the two guys standing next to each other on the other side of the breakable wall in the bedroom area. I had already broken the wall there, and when I went to do the double takedown, suddenly we were all warped into the kitchen, where I was stuck inside of the cabinets taking those dudes down. I'd recommend using a gun for that part, if only to not encounter the same glitch.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Tekken 6? Including online?

Bought it on a whim since it was cheap and I'm getting back into fighting games lately. I like the idea of customizing your dude but everything seems so expensive I'd have to play a billion times to get a hat.

How to get good at Tekken 101:

#1. Get used to holding your controller with your right palm against the controller and your index and middle finger over square and X (x/a for 360) with your former and triangle and circle (y/b on 360) with the latter.

#2. Learn Tekken notation: 1, 2, 3, 4 are square x, triangle, o, (X, A, Y, B) The rest is obvious, u is up, d is down, etc. If it's bold it means hold the button, if it's normal just tap it.

#3. Pick a character you think is cool, look up combo (juggle, for tekken) videos on youtube, practice doing the inputs (pretty much always in the description or in the credits) until you can do them reliably. Watch a few high level matchups from evo.

#4. Take like 20 online matches to understand character spacing, basically be competitively decent and tear up scrubs.

#5. If you're playing online with a headset make sure to always mention Morton's Salt when you win.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Foodahn posted:

I wouldn't mind some tips for Company of Heroes and/or Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts please. Neither are on the Wiki.

Some general tips:

If you've never played the warhammer RTS, this is similar in that the main way of obtaining resources is by territory capture, not by worker units gathering supplies. What this means is that you always want to be aggressively expanding on multiple fronts at all times. My favorite army to play as was the german motorized infantry from the expansion and that teaches you really fast that speed and multiple fronts are needed.

Tying into that is unit veterancy and retreating. Try to not lose squads, veteran units make a big, big difference and are very important. It's better to retreat and lose a point temporarily than lose the whole unit. When you retreat, units run to the nearest place that heals them, in the beginning likely your HQ. Don't forget to send them back out once they're healed. You also typically don't need a second unit producing building of the same tier (there are 4 tiers that each create different types of troops/armor) until late into the game if it lasts that long.

Different units have different effective ranges. The german motorized army has riflemen that are good from a distance, you'll want to kite your enemies with them. Comparatively, the brits have tommy guns which are more effective at close range, and will wreck said riflemen easily from close range.

Finally, always remember the importance of supression against the enemy, and cover for your units. It's important to suppress infantry all the way into the late game as units with a bazooka can wreck your much more expensive, hard earned tanks.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Nohman posted:

What should I know about Resident Evil 6?

The new combat system is pretty cool. The jist of it is, you have a dedicated melee button (R trigger, R2 I guess on PS3) and it's basically your new bread and butter, except now instead of shooting zombies in the face and then doing a melee attack or stab, now you shoot zombies in the face/shoulders, then melee, which insta-kills any regular zombie/j'avo (these are the new majini) by doing some ridiculous luchador move, usually ending with their faces splattered across the pavement. You can also do a useless little 3 hit combo that uses up 3 bars of your stamina (a lot of melee stuff uses 1 bar per action, recharges fairly fast) to kill a zombie, but spending the bullet is a much better idea, since you can chain enemies fairly easily. The new character has some specific melee action that you'll definitely want to check out. Remember his melee is an equipped weapon. Try all the actions you would with a gun, including quickshots, another new thing. Pressing both triggers makes you do an auto aim shot which puts a zombie in a soft stun (resulting in a powerful melee attack like 4 and 5 if you melee them). It auto-targets the closest enemy, so you can use this to 1-shot dogs. Cograts, getting good at these things has made you a boss in Mercenaries.

On that note, every single zombie melee attack coming from a humanoid sized enemy can be countered by hitting the melee button right as it's about to hit you. This includes leaping attacks as well.

You can also do a roadie run of sorts by holding A, from which you can melee or hit L trigger to slide into an enemy. This is great comboed with melee, knives, or shotguns. And everything else. The game even gives you points for sliding into things. The other thing you can do is dodge to the side/back/front and land on your back in a shooting position by pressing L trigger +A (L2+x?) and a direction. This is pretty cool looking and also makes a lot of enemies take their sweet time trying to get to you to hit you. It's also a good way to, if you're playing solo, avoid scripted zombie coming to life and jumping on you moments, if you're quick.

There are 3 campaigns to start with and you can do them in any order. As long as you complete a chapter you can even mix and match campaigns. The best skills to buy and level in the beginning are the J'avo/zombie killer ones as you'll probably always have one or the other in a slot. Beating any 1 character's campaign unlocks the ability to switch between 8 customized skillsets with 3 slots each.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

A note on koudelka -> Shadow Hearts. In the very beginning of SH you'll meet a character who you'd know not to be that character from koudelka, and an endgame reveal is 10 times better having played it. Not a huge deal but it may matter to you.

I'd also add for metal gear solid 1 that holding x while pressing square allows you to shoot and run at the same time. Guards also always spawn and patrol the same spots when you enter an area. Useful for running through when backtracking.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

I was one of those weirdos that liked Nero a lot more than Dante in Devil May Cry 4 and the number one tip I can give to maximize your awesome potential is to get used to the rev rhythm and remap your gun to something you can hold charged asap and get used to using charged shots between devil bringer combos to raise your meter and damage to true sick nasty levels.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

peter gabriel posted:

Edit: Maybe I should stop trying to play it like Rage.

The hell you should. You start out as a weak fleshy mortal but by a quarter of the game through you can totally smash your way through with a vending machine for cover/smashing dudes while blasting explosive magnum shells with your other hand. Start out picking your fights and sticking to stealth the tutorial/first Detroit mission, the game will open up your offensive choices after. Since you're being a manly man and taking everything head on, make sure you max out your chest tornado cannon. Not only does it one shot basically all regular enemies, but there are a few parts where you'll have a bunch of enemies come into an area you just cleared and you can run straight at the group, arms open chest out ready for a hug which will drop all of them instantly.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Rorac posted:

:argh: DRIVER 1

I blocked out the memories of that loving part of the game until I read this. That poo poo was loving BRUTAL on 12 year old me.

Do SAMthin, we got a taaail mang!

After the tutorial the game had a few tough timed missions but the hardest was the last mission in new York which had you do an almost perfect timed run while maxed out cops try and take you down at every turn. You could be hit so hard your car can be knocked out of the game world into the Game Abyss.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Play in a dark room definitely. Those lovely PS2 graphics will still scare the poo poo out of you.

Any late game tips for dead space 3? Site is very sparse on it. I'm started on hard, I'm on ch 15 so I'm close to the end but man, enemies are just burning through my armor and stasis, and transducers are my rarest resources. Using lots of ammo too but I usually always have more scrap metal than I need. Any particular weapon combos against those new blue super fast twitch asses?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Thanks to everyone's advice on weapons I've made it one more chapter in Dead Space 3 but I decided to head into another game and hey, no page on the wiki again.

Any tips for Wizardry on PSN? I've never played the series but I've played similar stuff like class of heroes. Does the full game have a digital manual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

al-azad posted:

Man, I remember people saying Civ 5 was the worst Civ game. It's like the Zelda effect where the worst Zelda is always the last one that came out.

Like Dr. Spaceman said, this is literally a thing with the series that started with civ 3 being crappier than civ 2 with expansions at launch, but ending up better by the end. I never buy civ games standalone, they're betas. Beyond Earth will own after its second expansion. That bundle is the finished game you want.