Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

WITNESS THE POWER! posted:

I just picked up Shadow of Mordor. Before I start playing, I'd like to know how I can get the most fun out of the Nemesis System. I keep reading all of these cool revenge stories people have had with Orcs, but I'm still a little confused about how it works. I know if you die, Orcs rank up and get harder to kill, so should I occasionally die on purpose so I can experience the Nemesis System? Or will that eventually cause a massive spike in difficulty?

Any tips about that, or the game in general, are appreciated.

A thousand people have already replied but I'll also add do the story missions first, then side quests. You don't get your final power until literally 3 missions away from the end. Also once you beat it it seems like the orcs that spawn in are a higher level. In the second area all the orcs that would spawn on the bottom would be minimum lvl 15. And don't worry about being overpowered, a lvl 20 poison hard hitter chief will 2 or 3 shot you even maxed out, and you can finangle yourself all the to bodyguard one chieftan for the ultimate 10 FPS rumble.

OxMan fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Kenny Logins posted:

There is stuff on the wiki for this one. Or you could just check my posts in this thread.

Does putting in implants mess with your charisma spirit stuff or does it only affect willpower spells? I'm an elf shaman with guns as secondary (just got the game on the dollar android sale)

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

After you finish that church everyone is talking about you're going to get a key to lower burg. The door to use this key is in the room across the bridge with hollows throwing firebombs across the bridge next to the first bonfire in undead burg. Got stuck there my first time. Also if you see someone trapped in a barrel, make sure you roll into the barrel to destroy it, don't attack!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

To be exact, GZ guys are trickled in 4 at a time after missions 3, 6, 9 and 12. My biggest tip I never see mentioned is don't worry if you miss DD in Afghanistan, the setup for finding him in Africa is way better

You'll also want to beeline post 14ish or so for the gunsmith sideops which unlock weapon customization.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Geektox posted:

Does the ranking of the mission in GZ affect the quality of the prisoner recruits you get from the other missions that's not the rescue intel operative?

Their stats are static.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Once you S rank all the skulls missions you can take off the butterfly bandaid, by then you should have a fully upgraded Walker and D dog.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Mick Swagger posted:

I've decided to finally start playing Final Fantasy VII for the PS1, and I'd like the experience to be as painless as possible. What are some pitfalls I should watch out for, and how do I best break the game?

The proper sperg playthrough is playing normally until you reach Corel/Golden Saucer area. Grind your chars there while using limit breaks until you're in your high 20s. Then go back to Junon, inside the SOLDIER base there's an elevator that takes you to an area where you can spawn enemies that wouldn't normally show up until disc 2. Grind there till you're in your 40s with all 3 limit breaks. Proceed to destroy the rest of the game.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Centipeed posted:

Wikipedia tells me that there are two Dragon Quest Heroes games: 2005 and 2015.

Which one are these tips for?

2015 on PS4.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Dr. Quarex posted:

Kanfy covered the fundamentals. The difference between the game focusing on a person in Fallout 2 versus a squad in Wasteland 2 is fairly significant, from the way conversations feel to the kind of combat tactics expected of you, but there is definitely a good amount of overlap.

The most important thing about wasteland 2 i feel is that you have just enough slots (6x4 people) to take 1 of every non combat skill, and 1 combat skill per person, provided you pick only 1 conversational skill out of the 3 that exist. Also, especially if you're playing on harder difficulties, the game plays like xcom basically where you're moving each person into cover advancing forward, until you either start combat by shooting something or something sees you first, at which point you go into turn based combat mode. You can greatly influence the entire battle if your guys are set up and spread out and not clumped together when an enemy sees you.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Plan Z posted:

I'm trying to play XCOM: Enemy Unknown again. What kind of tech/weapons should I be building first? I seem to always mess up my research order and work myself into a corner.

A lot of your build order super sperg strats are dependent on your base layout and starting country but if you're playing unknown (vanilla) and not within (exp) you have less stuff to worry about.

Standard stuff that applies to either is like this: no steam on 1st or 2nd level or in the 4th farthest slot = restart. Try to use as few explosives as possible first 3 months. Your priorities otherwise are extra satellite the 1st month (make sure to move one of your 2 ships to it as well. Second month build satellite array and try for 2 more. Third month should be hydroplant (getting lucky with drops can let you do it on second month, you can sell most alien bodies since they're not as immediately important as in the expansion. Research wise I don't recall the exact order but you'll want to finish up getting carapace armor and laser weapons before the end of the third month or you risk facing chrysalid invasion mission in default stuff which is basically a free wipe on all your dudes so far and a really ugly setback. If you get past that you've got the momentum to get through the rest of the game, provided you get the next tier of stuff before the third enemy set rolls in 8~ months in IIRC.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

^^^if he's never cleared the start id argue that an easier base layout makes a huge difference, especially when mixmaxing your cash

I posted the no explosives part for the extra money actually, because i always found money to be God early on just as metal is later. Same with stunning sectoids, getting at least 1 per mission can give you a big early cash boost for selling the plasma pistols/light rifles from thin men. The more poo poo you can squeeze in early the better. I don't feel you really need a lot of upgrades to just survive pre chrysalids as long as you're religious with overwatching in full cover and only ever hunkering down if you're in half. The only time i use explosives early on is if I'm overwatched myself.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Vidaeus posted:

Anything for Rebel Galaxy? Just started.

Grab yourself a wingman from any bar ASAP, they make a huge difference early on.

Get out of the starter system as soon as you can, loot and quest rewards are way better from the second system on.

The galaxy is randomly generated so planets won't be the same between different playthroughs.

Enemy difficulty is based off your highest equipped ship gear, so having 1 mk3 weapon and everything else mk2 will make things harder for you, upgrade stuff evenly

Upgrading your equipment makes a bigger difference than a bigger ship. The starter you should leave ASAP but focus on filling out your equipment slots before getting a bigger ship.

Blockade missions are toughest but give the greatest payouts. You'll have to outfit your ship in specific ways to be able to break through blockades but once you figure something that works for you it has the fastest payouts of any mission type.

You can set your wingman/individual weapons to fire at only certain kinds of targets. Remember there is a difference between autolocking and manually locking onto things (mainly, if you set a weapon to fire on your locked target only, it won't fire on the auto, or softlock).

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Anything regarding starting party, stats, character building, etc. for Wasteland 2?

Character buildwise you have enough slots to get every skill on all 4 of your characters as long as you only pick one of the conversation skills. Just make sure you spread them out evenly between combat and survival stuff.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Kenny Logins posted:

I just put several hours into Let It Die and as a non-Souls person who was a bit intimidated at first, I figured I'd throw out some beginner advice:

I'm going to give the game a rest for a while but it's pretty fun for what it is.

Note that the game changes massively after floor 9 by spawning 1 shot powerful mobs after x amount of time spent on each floor so before investing too much get to that part and see if you still like the game after. I did not, because the game changes into rush rush rush mode.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Way of the Samurai 3??

Gamey as gently caress, but there are 4 main storylines you can follow and gently caress with/betray to your content. Yellow peasant is probably easiest, and likely the first ending you'll get if you survive. Red guys story is next hardest, and blue can honestly have so many permutations that it can fall anywhere but has the hardest conditions generally. The 4th storyline you'll probably have to gameFAQs because it involves knowledge of the other 3 storylines as well as tracking down an NPC at specific times and places.

Other than that the same basic Way of the Samurai rules apply. Find a good weapon and upgrade it. Dont be afraid to hard mode save scum at the day 1 blue story battle royale for a good weapon then just get the easiest peasant ending to keep it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

RatHat posted:

Anything for Guacamelee Super Turbo Edition?

It looks, smells, and quacks like a metroidvania but it is pretty linear, though you may go back once or twice to get a power up or 2 in an older area with a new power.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Lucinice posted:

Hey what do I need to know about Shogun 2 Total War? It's my first Total War game so I am completely unprepared.

Combat wise the hammer and anvil will take you through 90% of encounters. Make a yari ashigaru wall with which to lock down the line, take your swords and or cavalry from the sides and smash. Note that cavalry has to be heavily microed to be effective.

Metawise playing to your clans strength is paramount. If you're playing the Shimazu for example rush bunes ASAP and get 2, 3 shipping lanes by the 10th turn. Clans with combat bonuses tend to be easier than clans with metagame bonuses, merchants and ninja are crap until you research boost their rates for example.

As any clan, don't forget about diplomacy, always try to have something going with anyone you can for extra resources or money.

Finally, without spoiling anything, don't make an attempt on the shogunate or more than half of japan until you're certain you can survive the rest of the game on your own.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

The White Dragon posted:

you do? :confused:

is this like a new addition or what, because all you get on the ps2 version is a strength sphere which, while great because the damage boost you get from strength is squared, isn't a game changer or anything.

This is one of those things I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly but in the original PS2 ver using jecht shot and winning the goers game (or maybe even the first match) gets you jecht shot 2 which was not the case when i went through it a few weeks ago in the ps4 remaster either.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

PJOmega posted:

Anything for Ratchet & Clank: Rifts Apart (PS5)?

Mainline the story to the point you get rocket skates as they make the entire game and combat arenas twice as fun. Some sidequests open up after story beats, but nothing is missable and there's ng+ that lets you play on harder difficulty and adds another tier of levels to each weapon. If every game was designed like it this thread wouldn't exist, it's intuitive af. You can use the ps help option to figure out any collectible or trophy too, no need to get on your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

AFAIK You can parry anything, it's just that parrying red hits still depletes your structure, so if it's already high you'll be broken and take damage thru it. It wasn't till fighting the last boss i really got the hang of parry everything until you're at half structure, then dodge to regain your own structure (and focus!). Parrying is better in that it depletes your opponents structure like a hit would, so you want to parry as much as possible, but not overextend. Artist is still bs and best cheesed with the aforementioned slide kick and ground pound skills which you need to pass her first stage early on. Having the catch thrown items skill will speed up her phase 2.

Using push and follow techniques is an extremely powerful way of controlling rooms later on, early on: Use the throws! Abt! Always be throwing. This is also how you can chain combos and dmg on minibosses and bosses. It's always free dmg and more hits, and BIG structure dmg. I've only been playing this game for like 4 days but I'm kind of obsessed lmao