Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

CloseFriend posted:

I meant Serpent Isle too, but that'll do me! I'm not used to Western RPGs like I am with Japanese ones, and the transition is a hard one. I was planning to finish the Black Gate first anyway for obvious reasons.

On BG and SI, inventory management is a bitch, so get lets of bags inside your backpack and use them to manage it a bit better.

Also, having to constantly buy food for your companions is a bitch. The cheapest deal is dried meat from Britannia.

With these games, the secret is to try to talk to everyone and see what you can find out. Usually someone has a hint about what you're meant to do next.

Oh, and one more important thing (especially in SI) - if you click on anything, it tells you its name. Most walls are called "wall". Secret, openable (either by double-clicking or by using a hidden switch) walls are called "Wall". This is vital to completing the game in many situations.

Lastly, if you are deciding to have an inventory cleanout and there is even the remotest chance that an item you have may be useful later on, have a designated area with chests or barrels that you store everything you drop. Don't drop them on the ground!! Put them in containers so you know exactly where they are and so the game's memory manager doesn't decide to delete them.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Uab posted:

Don't wear gwani cloaks (I don't think doing so will break the plot, but just to be safe).

On this, this is commonly accepted but actually not true at all. In the game's usecode script there is dialogue where the Gwani's complain at you about wearing the Gwani cloak and it is implied that they stop talking to you if you wear it. In reality though, this was either removed or never fully made it into the game, so you can wear the Gwani cloaks without any problems.

First time I played through I actually thought I HAD to wear Gwani cloaks to survive the cold areas.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I played through Planescape without a guide for the first time just a couple of years ago and didn't have any problem, I think it's a lot better to enjoy playing it yourself and just exploring and getting familiar with the game world that way. It's a wonderful gaming experience. As long as you take it slow and try talking to everything/doing everything before moving on you're not going to miss much.

It is super important to have high Cha/Int/Wis to get the best experience though. The quest to become a mage is worth doing early, that's about the only thing I'd look up (you can do it pretty much immediately once you leave the first area, but you kind of need to know where to look for it). Of course if you're just cheating to get max stats then it's less important since you could just stay as a fighter who happens to have super high Cha/Int/Wis.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
On the whole high Wis/Int/Cha thing, first time I played PS:T I had no idea that it was important dialogue-wise to have high scores in those stats and played a fighter with relatively low scores in all those stats, yet still managed to do most of the things you want to do in PS:T including recruiting Fall From Grace. The dialogue options themselves were relatively boring but I was still able to achieve most things.

You unquestionably get the best experience with high scores in those stats though. I should play PS:T again some time.