Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Tyro posted:

Well. I am trying to remain positive and hoping I didn't make a mistake.

Bike was not bad but not in as good of shape as pics suggested. I almost ran when I saw rust in tank but figured I could buy an Acerbis if needed. It started right up from cold, I ran I around the block with no issues. Then I started it a few minutes later and no issues.

Now I'm home and tried a few times to start it, didn't want to start and battery got wiped out in about 5-6 attempts.

Slap a charger on it, it'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tyro posted:

No kicker, I think it was an option or add on for the electric start models.

And yeah I left the petcock on during the drive. So hopefully it's just a weak battery combined with me being dumb.

Yeah it's definitely just flooded, post pics!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That DR could have been pulled out from under a trailer, filled with mice, and sold by a meth dealer, and it would still run great. I agree with others that it's either flooded or the battery is toast, or both.

Grats on the new rad motorcycle. I think you got a good deal considering moto prices in covid world, and it is for certain going to be a blast to ride.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well it's storming now so photos will have to wait but it's on a battery tender now. I just realized it's probably gonna take me a few weeks to get plates by mail, and I don't think I can get a temp tag as an individual...gently caress. Maybe I'll have to get a few daily trip permits.

I guess that will give me a little time to look it over. And buy a helmet and gear since mine is all in storage.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Alright I let it sit on the tender for a few hours and it started up. Took a little coaxing but I didn't have the choke in and seller warned it was cold blooded to start (he used the choke when he cold started it this afternoon). So I'm feeling a bit better now.

I did bump into one of the rear turn indicators, not even very hard, and the housing popped off, breaking the bulb. Assume it was just loose from being bounced around on a trailer for 2 hours but still annoying.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
start your bike with choke when it's "cold". this is not a marker of whether or not your bike is bad, just a function of how it works. the only days i can start my drz without choke and not have it die on me on throttle is when it's like 85+ F

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
If you ever plan on taking it out into the dirt, things like that are going to happen constantly. Thats one reason I don't think I could ever buy a brand new dirt bike from a dealership. My guess is this guy used this as a pavement bike mostly. It doesn't look like its been dropped/dirty very much, especially with those dual sport tires, they're not very aggressive for dirt.

Looking at the photo, thats sort of bad placement for those rear signals. If/when you drop your bike on a trail, that big flat area tends to always hit the ground. Those turn signals are just asking to get damaged. I would move them somewhere else if possible or consider a different rear tail light that might have built in signals. Gently lay your bike on its side and see if there's anywhere they won't get damaged.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Razzled posted:

start your bike with choke when it's "cold". this is not a marker of whether or not your bike is bad, just a function of how it works. the only days i can start my drz without choke and not have it die on me on throttle is when it's like 85+ F

Yeah it's been like 10+ years since I've owned a bike with carbs so I guess I'm out of practice, thanks for the reminder.

Verman posted:

If you ever plan on taking it out into the dirt, things like that are going to happen constantly. Thats one reason I don't think I could ever buy a brand new dirt bike from a dealership. My guess is this guy used this as a pavement bike mostly. It doesn't look like its been dropped/dirty very much, especially with those dual sport tires, they're not very aggressive for dirt.

Looking at the photo, thats sort of bad placement for those rear signals. If/when you drop your bike on a trail, that big flat area tends to always hit the ground. Those turn signals are just asking to get damaged. I would move them somewhere else if possible or consider a different rear tail light that might have built in signals. Gently lay your bike on its side and see if there's anywhere they won't get damaged.

Sweet I'll add it to the list!

Yeah I briefly considered a new DRZ400 or DR650S but I didn't want to deal with the depreciation.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

start your bike with choke when it's "cold". this is not a marker of whether or not your bike is bad, just a function of how it works.

I wish I could have this as my answering machine message, it would save me sooo many needless call outs.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thinking a bit more about the dirt bike thing, what I actually want to do is to be able to go around the hills and forests etc off the paved roads, and speed's not that important. Like I just wanna go see poo poo that you couldn't take a 2wd car or a road bike to and do chill day trips into the forest, not go off mad jumps and leap over tree trunks and stuff.

Could/should I just get one of the countless cheap postie bikes (honda ct110) that keep popping up around me, put trail tires on it, get road registration, and putputput slowly off into the bush whenever I feel like it?

E: Or even like an ag bike or something.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Thinking a bit more about the dirt bike thing, what I actually want to do is to be able to go around the hills and forests etc off the paved roads, and speed's not that important. Like I just wanna go see poo poo that you couldn't take a 2wd car or a road bike to and do chill day trips into the forest, not go off mad jumps and leap over tree trunks and stuff.

Could/should I just get one of the countless cheap postie bikes (honda ct110) that keep popping up around me, put trail tires on it, get road registration, and putputput slowly off into the bush whenever I feel like it?

E: Or even like an ag bike or something.

That would be a lot of fun. It wouldn't have the guts to climb slippery hills but you could just walk it up. You'd be at the mercy of narrow tyres but again, you can solve that problem with moral fiber. Have at it!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I would recommend a Honda xr200 if you can find one. They would be perfect. You can legalize them, touch both feet on the ground, likely flat, and they'll tractor up anything but they're not a crazy motocross bike. An xr100 would even be fun, not the fastest on road though. A cfr250 or ttr 20 as well. Tw200 wouldn't be much further down the list.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Tyro posted:

Yeah it's been like 10+ years since I've owned a bike with carbs so I guess I'm out of practice, thanks for the reminder.

Sweet I'll add it to the list!

Yeah I briefly considered a new DRZ400 or DR650S but I didn't want to deal with the depreciation.

The carb on my DR350 was held together by shellacked gas, the clutch was just a suggestion, the airbox was a freak show, and still the thing ran around the block with no major complaints when I brought it home. They’re unkillable.

Procycle has some bendy turn signals, plus a host of other parts that may come in handy. They’re also good for no fuss electrical stuff.

Also, I think you might be able to drop a kicker into that model without too much work. I think there’s just a plate covering the hole. Check the megathread on ADVRider, it’s a common question iirc.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 26, 2020

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The carb on my DR350 was held together by shellacked gas, the clutch was just a suggestion, the airbox was a freak show, and still the thing ran around the block with no major complaints when I brought it home. They’re unkillable.

Procycle has some bendy turn signals, plus a host of other parts that may come in handy. They’re also good for no fuss electrical stuff.

Also, I think you might be able to drop a kicker into that model without too much work. I think there’s just a plate covering the hole. Check the megathread on ADVRider, it’s a common question iirc.

Thanks! Yeah it looks like there is just a plug over the hole for the kick starter. I'll check procycle out, I was getting ready to place an order of some tools and parts.

My list of work I want to do in very rough order:

Check before any real ride
Tires Look new, 2018 code
clutch Seems OK
Oil Per PO changed 2 weeks ago, looks clean, but check level when hot
Brakes Check fluid - looks fresh
Forks- Check seals for leaks (looked OK prior to buying but check closely)
Levers and Cables - Lube, inspect
Spark Plug - Replace. NGK CR9EK, gap 0.6-0.7
Air filter - Inspect, clean and oil. replace if needed
Brakes - Check/replace pads
Wheels - Check/tighten spokes
Wheels - Check bearings
Chain/sprocket - Look fine, but measure slack, adjust if needed
Carb - Clean? Set Idle/fuel mixture?
Gas tank - Seafoam, evaporust
Key - Make copies of key since I only have one.

Medium Term
Timing chain - Check remaining tensioner adjustment
Valves - Check valve clearances
Steering Stem - Check Bearings
Fuel Lines - Replace lines to carb
Fuel Lines - High Flow in line filter?
Wiring - Look at wiring/routing for any problems
Battery - Check age. Replace? AGM or Lithium? Li is 4 lb lighter.

Long Term
Forks - Replace oil? Maybe respring?
Charging System - Inspect? no clue how to do this
Suspension - Decide if keeping short linkage from PO
Suspension - Think about rebuilding/replacing rear shock
Tires - Think about more road oriented tires
Lighting - Consider relocating the turn signals
Lighting - LED headlamp to reduce draw/improve lighting?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Well, poo poo I guess I’m going for it. Looking to build a middleweight ADV bike. I live in SW Michigan, and I’m hoping to do some mild off-road cruising and extended camping trips, runs to the UP, but nothing technical with it, because I’m not that great and I can see myself planting into a tree and I don’t really ride with others, ever.

Available in my area:
DR650
KLR650
XT600 (seems... old for the prices)
A couple TransAlps
One NX650
F650GS
VStrom 650 / 1000 (I don’t know that I could handle a 1000 off pavement)
The odd Tiger or two

Sweet spot for price is $3k, though I could go a little more. I’ve never been on any of these. My only dual sport experience was my DRZ400.
Basically, I’m keeping my Goldwing and want to add another dadbike to the garage but I know the extra money on the 1200s / KTMs is wasted, just like messing with my thermostat or leaving a light on when you leave a room.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I have an XR650R that's plateable in Michigan and is super awesome but I used the stock hubs to build 17's. I would 1000000% recommend one in general though. There have been a couple for sale in the Midwest for very good prices.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Revvik posted:

Well, poo poo I guess I’m going for it. Looking to build a middleweight ADV bike. I live in SW Michigan, and I’m hoping to do some mild off-road cruising and extended camping trips, runs to the UP, but nothing technical with it, because I’m not that great and I can see myself planting into a tree and I don’t really ride with others, ever.

Available in my area:
DR650
KLR650
A couple TransAlps
One NX650
F650GS
The odd Tiger or two

Sweet spot for price is $3k, though I could go a little more. I’ve never been on any of these. My only dual sport experience was my DRZ400.
Basically, I’m keeping my Goldwing and want to add another dadbike to the garage but I know the extra money on the 1200s / KTMs is wasted, just like messing with my thermostat or leaving a light on when you leave a room.

You’ve probably seen everything there is to be said about the KLR already. DR is heavier and lower than the DRZ but geared for highway.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Revvik posted:

Available in my area:
DR650
KLR650
A couple TransAlps
One NX650
F650GS
The odd Tiger or two

as horribly boring as I find the weestrom, I'd say it's your best choice out of those options. they're very easy to work on and better on the highway than the dr / klr / transalp. if you're being honest with yourself about not wanting to do more difficult offroad terrain then yeah, weestrom would probably be your best bang for your buck

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Yerok posted:

I have an XR650R that's plateable in Michigan and is super awesome but I used the stock hubs to build 17's. I would 1000000% recommend one in general though. There have been a couple for sale in the Midwest for very good prices.

Please buy this man's xr650r and ignore those other nerd bikes

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 29, 2020

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
This one is beautiful: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/195633021773622/

Definitely not gonna find one cheaper than that

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I can't believe those are 60hp and 300ish lbs. That must rip. Gotta keep an eye out for one.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

the R is so much cooler (heh) than the L

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah because the supermoto landscape is still exactly the same lol

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

What part of a SXV550 is not street legal and not crazy?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Motorized vehicles need to run to be certified for use on US roads for at least the duration of the certification test.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm starting to look around at new bikes again. My 1st gen KTM RC390 is 5 years old and my MV Agusta is now 20 years old. I haven't shopped for a new bike in forever, and I've been kind of surprised at the market in TYOOL 2020. What the hell happened to the middleweight supersport class? The 600s have all but disappeared whereas 10+ years ago you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a R6, CBR or GSXR. The modern liter bikes are all insanely powerful now and whether naked for full on superbike are all really really expensive. I'd love an Aprilia RSV4 or Ducati Panigale but the 20k+ number are daunting for bikes whose limits I couldn't get anywhere near even on a track. I feel the same way about the big naked like the Super Duke R, Streetfighter or Tuono. So I think realistically the KTM Duke 890 R, Aprilia RS660, Triumph Speed Triple RS or MV Agusta Brutale 800 are the range for me for daily short range 4 season commuting (currently my RC's role) and weekend riding (replacing the MV).

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I always assumed it's because most people who think they can handle the power of a 600cc supersport figure they may as well go all in and get the liter bike instead

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Any word on when more RS660 info is coming out? My understanding was that it was going to be shown off at Mugello before the world got weird.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Yuns posted:

I'm starting to look around at new bikes again. My 1st gen KTM RC390 is 5 years old and my MV Agusta is now 20 years old. I haven't shopped for a new bike in forever, and I've been kind of surprised at the market in TYOOL 2020. What the hell happened to the middleweight supersport class? The 600s have all but disappeared whereas 10+ years ago you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a R6, CBR or GSXR. The modern liter bikes are all insanely powerful now and whether naked for full on superbike are all really really expensive. I'd love an Aprilia RSV4 or Ducati Panigale but the 20k+ number are daunting for bikes whose limits I couldn't get anywhere near even on a track. I feel the same way about the big naked like the Super Duke R, Streetfighter or Tuono. So I think realistically the KTM Duke 890 R, Aprilia RS660, Triumph Speed Triple RS or MV Agusta Brutale 800 are the range for me for daily short range 4 season commuting (currently my RC's role) and weekend riding (replacing the MV).

44Teeth on the YouTubes just posted a comparison of the KTM 890 and the Street Triple RS - long story short, the Triumph was more refined but slightly dull, the 890 rambunctious and fun to ride (and also threw an immobilizer error on the dash while they were riding). Haven't seen anything on the Aprilia yet.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Jazzzzz posted:

44Teeth on the YouTubes just posted a comparison of the KTM 890 and the Street Triple RS - long story short, the Triumph was more refined but slightly dull, the 890 rambunctious and fun to ride (and also threw an immobilizer error on the dash while they were riding). Haven't seen anything on the Aprilia yet.
Thanks for the heads up. I watched the video. Pretty interested in the 890 right now but will probably hold off until the RS660 reviews come out.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
If price is the issue look at past model year CBR1000s, it's not unusual to see 2018 or 2019 models sitting on dealer lots going for like 12k, which is about the MSRP for an R6.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Sick Bikes Bro Magazine posted:

Once the sun finally came out in Barthelona, we all pulled out onto the motorway. The RS660 hummed between my legs, pulling easily away from the rest of the pack. The noise it makes is glorious: not too loud, but with a perfect amount of bite. The grips and footpegs are positioned less aggressively than on your typical R6, and the suspension floats over everything. I honestly didn't want to stop for our comped lunch at a Michelin-starred restaurant, even if we did all get to hang out with Aleix Espargaro for a bit. And so on.

There you go.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

captainOrbital posted:

There you go.

Spot on.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Nevermind, it got sold.
😖

So. Is a Buell Blast a complete waste of time as a first bike?

gileadexile fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 3, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

There you go.

Lmao incredible.

gileadexile posted:

Nevermind, it got sold.
😖

They're great if you want to be certain bikes aren't for you and just need that extra push of misery to discourage you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

gileadexile posted:

Nevermind, it got sold.
😖

A blast isn’t a bike you should even take for free

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I took my MSF on a Buell Blast. Clutch was super heavy and somehow still made me want a bike fwiw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Well drat. Literally everything around here is Harley this and Harley that, or Gixxers with salvage titles. It's really quite discouraging.

There is a localish 1998 Nighthawk that may be worth looking more into. Seems to be in decent shape and it looks to have a fairly neutral riding position.

Any opinions?