Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
fortnine's probably my favorite of the ones ive seen. his video on harley as a company was a fascinating deep dive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Fortnine's latest video made me feel like an idiot for buying the mushroom plug kit

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
The one about motorcycle design and styling was really good too.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Just ordered my 5 yo daughter's first motorcycle - it's a Kuberg Cross Hero lithium version. I think it's a perfect step for her, and I bet it'll be like riding a (heavier) balance bike with foot pegs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Man that thing costs more than my Hawk did.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Was your bike new? Some sucker has to pay full price for the things we ride, and that guy's me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s cool but man that price for a bike that the kid is for sure going to drop

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Just ordered my 5 yo daughter's first motorcycle - it's a Kuberg Cross Hero lithium version. I think it's a perfect step for her, and I bet it'll be like riding a (heavier) balance bike with foot pegs.

Once she is done with that one, consider this one for when she's 8 or 9:
https://newatlas.com/motorcycles/indian-eftr-jr-kids-electric-motorcycle/

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

My kiddo has just got a hand of her balance bike. Totally buying two e-bikes next year.

Cannot wait, just gotta get it past mum.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I've been looking around for cheaper options like the Burromax TT750R but I ended up on getting something closer to a proper dirt bike. I really don't think $2,500 new is a lot considering what it is.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think spending $2500 for something a 5-year-old will use is a lot of money by any measure.

But you're right, someone has to buy the things new. It does look like fun.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I've been looking around for cheaper options like the Burromax TT750R but I ended up on getting something closer to a proper dirt bike. I really don't think $2,500 new is a lot considering what it is.

How old is kiddo?

I was thinking starting off on a stayc or similar. Any reason you went full bike, and not balance bike with a motor?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Steakandchips posted:

Once she is done with that one, consider this one for when she's 8 or 9:
https://newatlas.com/motorcycles/indian-eftr-jr-kids-electric-motorcycle/

There is a Razor version of this that's cheaper. Indian painted and branded the...whatever Razor model.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I think spending $2500 for something a 5-year-old will use is a lot of money by any measure.

But you're right, someone has to buy the things new. It does look like fun.

If I had $2500 to spend on my kid he'd be getting a PW50 or KX65 or something. Used.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you have more than one kid it can make sense to spend more. I plan to pass my older sons crf70 to the younger one when he outgrows it.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I have 2 kids, and will be planning on handing off the Kuberg to my younger one in a few years. Also, this thing is rated for a rider up to 225 lbs. I'm definitely gonna steal it a few times.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Just curious, why did you get that instead of a pw50?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

builds character posted:

Just curious, why did you get that instead of a pw50?

'Cause I can't throw a gas bike into my trunk and keep the car clean. Also, our neighbors won't really hear an electric dirt bike much from our back yard.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I'm v. interested in e dirtbikes. Buying them is good because it'll encourage the market to improve infrastructure for charging.
Also because whispering through the woods and not annoying people, and farmers not knowing you're around, is cool.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Shelvocke posted:

I'm v. interested in e dirtbikes. Buying them is good because it'll encourage the market to improve infrastructure for charging.
Also because whispering through the woods and not annoying people, and farmers not knowing you're around, is cool.

i just want a motocross track that isnt 5 hours from civilization so i can go break some more bones learning to fly

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

'Cause I can't throw a gas bike into my trunk and keep the car clean. Also, our neighbors won't really hear an electric dirt bike much from our back yard.

That makes a lot of sense.

Shelvocke posted:

Same but unfortunately I think it'll be a while before you can go all day riding single track on an e bike and that's really my use case.

Razzled posted:

i just want a motocross track that isnt 5 hours from civilization so i can go break some more bones learning to fly

Also same.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

builds character posted:

Same but unfortunately I think it'll be a while before you can go all day riding single track on an e bike and that's really my use case.

Most e bikes have tiny batteries in the 1-2kWh range so it should only take 2 hours tops to charge on a generator. New EVs coming out these days even have standard outlets so that'll be pretty neat to have a generator built in.

Taking a 2 hour break to charge might not be in your interest but I imagine it can work for a lot of folks.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Most e bikes have tiny batteries in the 1-2kWh range so it should only take 2 hours tops to charge on a generator. New EVs coming out these days even have standard outlets so that'll be pretty neat to have a generator built in.

Taking a 2 hour break to charge might not be in your interest but I imagine it can work for a lot of folks.

There's definitely some great progress being made. I think they're now usable for MX, for example. But I tend to ride long loops. For example, https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/connecticut_04728/ride_977d.htm so it'll take 1/2 a day -- all day and you can stop for gas at a gas station along the way but none of the gas stations have charging (may change in the future of course). I think the real minimum requirements I need are 50 mile range + podunk town gas stations have fast chargers. I'm hoping to get a new bike this year and I expect we may hit both of those by the time I'm ready for another in three more years. I also would really like it to be as light as the bike it'll be replacing and that's still an issue too but one I expect to be fixed soon enough.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I'm in the same boat. I'm fortunate to live slap bang in the middle of what passes for good off-road lanes in the UK, but I like to go out for 50-80 mile trips and ride home at the end. I could throw an electric in a car but going for an hour and having to return to charge isn't ideal.
International trips with camping and carrying luggage isn't feasible yet either.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm really down with e dirtbikes for the same reason. Rushing through the trees silently is everything I like about dualsporting made better. I completely lost interest in that and dualsporting the first time I rode MTB through the woods a couple years ago.

You get the dirtbiking fun of bombing through terrain, with the silence of an ebike (I run up on deer all the time), with a healthy dose of exercise. The best part? There are are probably at least two MTB parks within 20 minutes of you. A good used 29er hardtail is $500, and they make airy full chinbar helmets now.

It's a good companion to motorcycling, and the braking/weight balance techniques all apply.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 26, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There used to be an indoor MTB park near me and it was so great. It was a converted Menards building and it had a great track that snaked all around it, a foam pit, a big downhill ski jump type of thing.

They rented bikes too. It was great to try out a bunch of different stuff. And of course it was awesome for winter time.

:rip: Rays MTB

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There used to be an indoor MTB park near me and it was so great. It was a converted Menards building and it had a great track that snaked all around it, a foam pit, a big downhill ski jump type of thing.

They rented bikes too. It was great to try out a bunch of different stuff. And of course it was awesome for winter time.

:rip: Rays MTB

I went to that park a couple times! Once with my kids.

It was super fun to ride the perimeter track, and go off the drops and do the teeter-totters and stuff. It's what caused me to rearrange my cockpit on my old bike to shift my position further back a bit. I was going to go back to try it out and they closed :(

They still have their original location in OH open I think.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m honestly surprised they didn’t do better with people looking for mountain biking experiences in the winter here.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah, and they made it really beginner-friendly, and they had renters and lenders and a big parking lot...you'd figure all the people trying to hit up kettle moraine or palos would gravitate there in the winter. Maybe their marketing was the issue who can say.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Insurance may have pulled the rug out from under them too.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Shelvocke posted:

I'm in the same boat. I'm fortunate to live slap bang in the middle of what passes for good off-road lanes in the UK, but I like to go out for 50-80 mile trips and ride home at the end. I could throw an electric in a car but going for an hour and having to return to charge isn't ideal.
International trips with camping and carrying luggage isn't feasible yet either.

That's kinda where I'm at too.
With the cost/maintenance hassles of a dedicated dirt bike I'd rather have an electric since I'm trucking it to the trail anyway.
Plated dualsports? yeah I'll stick to gas for a little longer.

Coydog posted:

I'm really down with e dirtbikes for the same reason. Rushing through the trees silently is everything I like about dualsporting made better. I completely lost interest in that and dualsporting the first time I rode MTB through the woods a couple years ago.

You get the dirtbiking fun of bombing through terrain, with the silence of an ebike (I run up on deer all the time), with a healthy dose of exercise. The best part? There are are probably at least two MTB parks within 20 minutes of you. A good used 29er hardtail is $500, and they make airy full chinbar helmets now.

It's a good companion to motorcycling, and the braking/weight balance techniques all apply.

Basically this. Living in the bay area I should have bought a Ebike years ago, though those are getting outlawed now too. Equestrians are fine though! :rolleyes:

I'll keep the 950 for big stupid haha dualsport rides and the like but I doubt I'll own another gas powered dirtbike. Especially now where my current infra means pulling it in a trailer.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I know this isn't the bicycle forum but since everyone is talking e-bikes, any recommendations for a cheap but decent electric bicycle for a fairly short woman (4'10") who needs to do 10 miles round trip each day (600 ft elevation gain)? I thought the RadRunner 1 looked like a good option but I don't follow this industry at all. The rack on the back was also a key feature as this will be used in place of a car.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

MomJeans420 posted:

I know this isn't the bicycle forum but since everyone is talking e-bikes, any recommendations for a cheap but decent electric bicycle for a fairly short woman (4'10") who needs to do 10 miles round trip each day (600 ft elevation gain)? I thought the RadRunner 1 looked like a good option but I don't follow this industry at all. The rack on the back was also a key feature as this will be used in place of a car.

I don't have an answer but that thing looks really fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I see a ton of those, or some manner of clone of them around here in the non-winter months. Often being used to haul stuff

I have no other feedback, that’s my story

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

I own / have owned several ebikes (sondors thin, evelo delta, surface604 shred, juicedbikes hyperfat). they are very fun

does your fairly short woman bike regularly or is this like her first actual bike for commuting? I'd really recommend against something with wheels that small and a single gear. it's going to Suck rear end on the typical american city streets. that being said, rad power does import decent bikes, but that one would not be my recommendation. if you're set on buying from rad I'd spend a bit more and buy her this since it has an actual gearset (so she can help the poor hub motor over hills cause lol ain't doing that on a single speed), regular sized wheels (easier to find tubes / tires at a local bike shop), and a built in rack & light set already

is the elevation gain sudden or something that is more of a constant? if it's over a very short distance you run the possibility of burning out a hub motor if your fairly short woman is just hammering the throttle and not / is unable to put in work. unfortunately the solution to burning hub motors out is a mid drive (crankshaft) motor, but those bikes typically start out around $2k and I have not been able to locate a step through one (for short people)

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Fortnine is the one bike youtube i can consistently watch without cringe and actually learn something.

His product reviews also usually end up with "you don't need 90 percent of this poo poo fix your tire with the brown sausage because it will ldo the best job and is the easiest to store on the bike"

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Combat Theory posted:

Fortnine is the one bike youtube i can consistently watch without cringe and actually learn something.

His product reviews also usually end up with "you don't need 90 percent of this poo poo fix your tire with the brown sausage because it will ldo the best job and is the easiest to store on the bike"

I was put off by his weird Canadian humor at first but I actually like him too.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I like him for his insanely good production quality.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

MomJeans420 posted:

I don't know anything about ebikes but I know there's a thread for them in The Great Outdoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Proper Uppercut posted:

weird Canadian humor

???

I didn't think his humour was unusual, but then, I am also a weird Canadian