Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Phy posted:

???

I didn't think his humour was unusual, but then, I am also a weird Canadian

Well I guess I should say unusual for those types of videos. Canadians are the funniest people on the planet.

Edit: Thoughts on the Z400? Seems like a good (relatively speaking) slow-bike-fast with some modern stuff like ABS for cheap money. Looks are probably polarizing though.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I've seen a few Z400s in person, they look like a lot more normal and well proportioned in person that they do in the press photos imo

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

right arm posted:

I own / have owned several ebikes (sondors thin, evelo delta, surface604 shred, juicedbikes hyperfat). they are very fun

does your fairly short woman bike regularly or is this like her first actual bike for commuting? I'd really recommend against something with wheels that small and a single gear. it's going to Suck rear end on the typical american city streets. that being said, rad power does import decent bikes, but that one would not be my recommendation. if you're set on buying from rad I'd spend a bit more and buy her this since it has an actual gearset (so she can help the poor hub motor over hills cause lol ain't doing that on a single speed), regular sized wheels (easier to find tubes / tires at a local bike shop), and a built in rack & light set already

is the elevation gain sudden or something that is more of a constant? if it's over a very short distance you run the possibility of burning out a hub motor if your fairly short woman is just hammering the throttle and not / is unable to put in work. unfortunately the solution to burning hub motors out is a mid drive (crankshaft) motor, but those bikes typically start out around $2k and I have not been able to locate a step through one (for short people)

I'm not sure on the biking thing, she definitely isn't doing it regularly right now. It's more of a gradual uphill but definitely something you'll notice, and there are some fairly steep hills in the area depending on where you're going. Probably worth upgrading just for the standard size wheels, I hadn't thought of that.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm not sure on the biking thing, she definitely isn't doing it regularly right now. It's more of a gradual uphill but definitely something you'll notice, and there are some fairly steep hills in the area depending on where you're going. Probably worth upgrading just for the standard size wheels, I hadn't thought of that.

yeah I think she'd likely be happier with a more "normal" bike as a single speed isn't that fun to actually pedal around (my sondors thin was a single speed and it wasn't terrible, but coming from riding "real" bikes it is a definite downgrade). I do understand that'll make it a bit more expensive, but I've sold my used e bikes for about 80-90% of what I paid locally just cause people enjoy trying them out and that isn't really possible as not too many e bike shops exist as b&m stores, so even if she ends up not using it much you ought to be able to get out of it for not too much of a loss!

also hearing that about the hills I'm sure she'll be fine on a hub motor as long as she is helping it out on the hills and not just throttling through them. I used my surface604 (500w hub motor w/torque sensor) to jet up to OHSU all the time and that was like a 500ft gain in under a mile lol and I never melted any of the plastic internal gears

mid drive bikes are hilariously fun though, just bonkers, but they're typically far more expensive unfortunately. cool thing about hub drive bikes too is that if you break a chain you can still get home if your bike has a throttle on it :D

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Man there's a really really nice looking 2009 Ducati 696 in red near me and it's a great price at £3700 and I want it but stupid COVID and therefore the necessary but really annoying lockdown.

I hope it's still there once lockdown is over so I can go for a test ride.

I even checked insurance for it: Annual fully comprehensive is £124. It's a steal.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I can't find a single bike to buy in the Chicago area.

If anyone has a line on some stock-ish examples of a DRZ400SM or a T-dub please drop me a line.

I might consider a Ducati Lifestyle Scrambler or a 2nd-gen V-twin Tuono if they were cheap enough but we'll see.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

right arm posted:

yeah I think she'd likely be happier with a more "normal" bike as a single speed isn't that fun to actually pedal around (my sondors thin was a single speed and it wasn't terrible, but coming from riding "real" bikes it is a definite downgrade). I do understand that'll make it a bit more expensive, but I've sold my used e bikes for about 80-90% of what I paid locally just cause people enjoy trying them out and that isn't really possible as not too many e bike shops exist as b&m stores, so even if she ends up not using it much you ought to be able to get out of it for not too much of a loss!

also hearing that about the hills I'm sure she'll be fine on a hub motor as long as she is helping it out on the hills and not just throttling through them. I used my surface604 (500w hub motor w/torque sensor) to jet up to OHSU all the time and that was like a 500ft gain in under a mile lol and I never melted any of the plastic internal gears

mid drive bikes are hilariously fun though, just bonkers, but they're typically far more expensive unfortunately. cool thing about hub drive bikes too is that if you break a chain you can still get home if your bike has a throttle on it :D

I hadn't considered burning the motor up, I figured you could just use the throttle and say screw the pedals.

I would like to play with one of the high end bikes, I have a couple of friends with e-mountain bikes and they're pretty ridiculous.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

I hadn't considered burning the motor up, I figured you could just use the throttle and say screw the pedals.

I would like to play with one of the high end bikes, I have a couple of friends with e-mountain bikes and they're pretty ridiculous.

yeah pretty much all the bafang and bafang based hub motors use a lot a plastic gears inside them that when put under a heavy load (doing over 28mph / constant hills where is it hammering the gears) you run the risk of breaking / melting them lol (ask me how I know)

and yeah lol riding a buddy's turbo levo with dropper post on my old "motocross" track and surrounding forest at my dad's was probably some of the most fun I have ever had on two wheels. gonna be a sad day if they get banned from the national / state parks cause they are incredible and have brought a lot of folks I work with back into biking after godawful knee injuries from what I saw when I worked back home in portland

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Steakandchips posted:

Man there's a really really nice looking 2009 Ducati 696 in red near me and it's a great price at £3700 and I want it but stupid COVID and therefore the necessary but really annoying lockdown.

I hope it's still there once lockdown is over so I can go for a test ride.

I even checked insurance for it: Annual fully comprehensive is £124. It's a steal.

Specially look at the page number, it's a sign!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

fuuuuuuck

I just checked, it's still available... SOMEONE BUY MY HONDA!

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
I’m looking at replacing my CB500X. I already have a huge tourer, a ST1300 for distance, 2-up, highway commuting and hauling everything. I’m looking at either a Yamaha r3, or a CRF300L Rally. Is there anything subjectively bad about these bikes, or anything else that I should be looking at? I’m primarily looking at new bikes, as I don’t want to deal with maintenance debt right off the hop.

My thoughts:
R3 - it’s cheap to insure in Ontario, electric teal is an awesome colour, it’s probably fun around town, and possibly could become a track bike down the road.

CRF300L Rally - dual sport with a bigger tank, windshield for occasional highway use, plenty of trails near me, good riding position for commuting from time to time, and I enjoyed trail riding on a dual sport the couple of times I’ve been to trailtours. Possible sumo conversion later on? Probably will get more use than the r3, as I’ll have to transit at least an hour to find interesting roads. Also cheap to insure.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Snapshot posted:

CRF300L Rally - dual sport with a bigger tank, windshield for occasional highway use, plenty of trails near me, good riding position for commuting from time to time, and I enjoyed trail riding on a dual sport the couple of times I’ve been to trailtours. Possible sumo conversion later on? Probably will get more use than the r3, as I’ll have to transit at least an hour to find interesting roads. Also cheap to insure.

The suspension on those are basically filled with vegetable oil. First thing you'd wanna do is get that sorted, especially if you're human sized.
Secondly, if you ever get bored of the 300 the cb500 engine can be swapped in for an extra 20-30lb and a bit more power.
The plastics are R3 fragile and not at all drop-friendly. They're not as cheap as they should be.
Supermoto conversion would be fun.

I really want to like those but yea the suspension and sportbike plastics kill it for me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait the 500 swaps in? How does that work.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I can't speak to those bikes specifically but if you already have a pavement bike, and given what the roads in the GTA are like, getting a dual-sport over another road bike is a no brainer

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

The suspension on those are basically filled with vegetable oil. First thing you'd wanna do is get that sorted, especially if you're human sized.
Secondly, if you ever get bored of the 300 the cb500 engine can be swapped in for an extra 20-30lb and a bit more power.
The plastics are R3 fragile and not at all drop-friendly. They're not as cheap as they should be.
Supermoto conversion would be fun.

I really want to like those but yea the suspension and sportbike plastics kill it for me.

Thanks. Where are you seeing the plastics issue? I’m not googling the right things, I think.
I’m 150lbs weight and I didn’t find a 250l too bouncy at 170lb. Think I should budget in some work on the shocks?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Wait the 500 swaps in? How does that work.

welding/cutting involved. there are 8 or 9 on advrider under whatever loving forum for mechanical kludges. ptwin basicaly fits, has enough room for the ptwin head. lower thumper cradle goes away and two mounts get welded in.
E:
https://advrider.com/f/threads/2017-crf500l-rally-build.1236985/
https://advrider.com/f/threads/crf500l-build-thread-4.1236229/
https://advrider.com/f/threads/crf500l-build-3-the-brit-remix.1212738/
https://advrider.com/f/threads/crf500l-build-6.1275827/

Snapshot posted:

Thanks. Where are you seeing the plastics issue? I’m not googling the right things, I think.
I’m 150lbs weight and I didn’t find a 250l too bouncy at 170lb. Think I should budget in some work on the shocks?

also advrider in the honda rally threads. The shock is the most budget loving thing out there. no resi, no adjustments, just poo poo you'd find on a gy6 clone of a clone.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 16, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

welding/cutting involved. there are 8 or 9 on advrider under whatever loving forum for mechanical kludges. ptwin basicaly fits, has enough room for the ptwin head. lower thumper cradle goes away and two mounts get welded in.

Oh right. Never ceases to amaze me how much effort people will put in to create something ordinary at best.

cursedshitbox posted:

also advrider in the honda rally threads. The shock is the most budget loving thing out there. no resi, no adjustments, just poo poo you'd find on a gy6 clone of a clone.

That is genuinely shocking.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Oh right. Never ceases to amaze me how much effort people will put in to create something ordinary at best.

That is genuinely shocking.

Edited with a few links. heh right? 350lb reliable dualsport with a modest 50hp.
The shock is the basic crf250l shock, nothing at all special compared to the 250 dual sport line. Worst of the three in that its only adjustment is preload. If you're gonna bother to get one, upgrade the suspension, they're well covered now. Lower engine fairings can be deleted too when they get busted.

E: in looking for the cracked plastics, found some bonus bent frames at the footpegs
https://advrider.com/f/threads/honda-crf250-rally-owners.1212233/page-211

Sorry for all the links to such an awful loving forum.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 16, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Like...my super sherpa had a reservoir shock with a rebound adjuster and threaded preload rings. I'm in awe of the penny pinching.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i mean if welding is on the table, that grom from thailand had a panigale engine in it (til it caught on fire)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Like...my super sherpa had a reservoir shock with a rebound adjuster and threaded preload rings. I'm in awe of the penny pinching.

So does the wr250r. Its really souring coming from Honda of all companies.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

Edited with a few links. heh right? 350lb reliable dualsport with a modest 50hp.
The shock is the basic crf250l shock, nothing at all special compared to the 250 dual sport line. Worst of the three in that its only adjustment is preload. If you're gonna bother to get one, upgrade the suspension, they're well covered now. Lower engine fairings can be deleted too when they get busted.

E: in looking for the cracked plastics, found some bonus bent frames at the footpegs
https://advrider.com/f/threads/honda-crf250-rally-owners.1212233/page-211

Sorry for all the links to such an awful loving forum.

No worries, I didn’t know where to look. I’ll ask the dealer about how much it would cost for the major plastics; It looks like this problem may solve itself, as they’re apparently in low supply. What should I be cross shopping? Drz400, drz400sm and a conversion kit, wr250r? It’ll need enough go for about a 300km highway transit at ~110 kph with a weekend’s worth of gear from time to time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dr650.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Snapshot posted:

No worries, I didn’t know where to look. I’ll ask the dealer about how much it would cost for the major plastics; It looks like this problem may solve itself, as they’re apparently in low supply. What should I be cross shopping? Drz400, drz400sm and a conversion kit, wr250r? It’ll need enough go for about a 300km highway transit at ~110 kph with a weekend’s worth of gear from time to time.

Really feels like the drz400 or dr650 are your main options. 250-300cc is going to struggle going that far/fast with luggage, and if they do, you're going to be pretty worn out by the time you get to the trail.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BabelFish posted:

Really feels like the drz400 or dr650 are your main options. 250-300cc is going to struggle going that far/fast with luggage, and if they do, you're going to be pretty worn out by the time you get to the trail.

wr250r over the drz. 6 gears and efi. gear it down one and its on par with a stock 400s. the drz400s/sm has better suspension and a metric loving ton more aftermarket. stock for stock? I love the wr just a hair more. Its less soviet feeling.
dr650 will fit your needs. just get a used one, there's not a lot to go wrong with em. and if you manage to break one you can punch it out to 790cc.

*I've had the wr, drz, and my husband on a dr.

If i had no shop, no tools, and going on a rtw trip, it'd be a dr650 with a slightly bigger tank and softbags.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Snapshot posted:

It’ll need enough go for about a 300km highway transit at ~110 kph with a weekend’s worth of gear from time to time.

Dr650 will do the highway part no worries. I recently did >600km highway round trip in a day on mine with a bunch of poo poo tied to the back on the way back. Sat at 110-130 the whole way and breezed round everyone who'd slow down up hills.

e: Everyone here told me it would and I had no reason to doubt them but actually doing it was a bit of an eye opener.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 16, 2021

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

Thanks all, I’ve got local dealers with all of those in stock. I see a 2019 wr250r in new condition for about 7.8k CAD out the door. What are the hazards of a bike being on the floor that long? Is that a bike to avoid?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Snapshot posted:

Thanks all, I’ve got local dealers with all of those in stock. I see a 2019 wr250r in new condition for about 7.8k CAD out the door. What are the hazards of a bike being on the floor that long? Is that a bike to avoid?

If it literally is on the floor (indoors) very little. Bikes stored in climate controlled conditions are fine. What you don't want are bikes that are stored in a climate cycle of hot/cold hot/cold without ever being run.

I own a WR250X and it is a very good bike. Friend owns a DRZ400s and is also a very good bike. The Suzuki will be more tractor-like. That's not necessarily a negative.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Snapshot posted:

I had a wr250x for a while and still miss it. Excellent bike and very lightweight. The r would do very well off road. I found it to be pretty miserable to ride on the highway with our 70-80mph speeds, and was uncomfortable for that. You can do it, but you won't like it. Tank is very small and a 3 gallon tank upgrade should be done ASAP if you plan to do any off road riding.

DR650 is an absolute dream on the highway. I don't know why but it has great wind management without any windscreens. With a parabellum rally screen it will go all day. Engine is relaxed at highway speeds. Wonderful bike in the twisties or around town, and great off road. It's heavy and tractorlike off road, though. Recommend throwing suspension on it right away and leaving the rest stock.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

Coydog posted:

I had a wr250x for a while and still miss it. Excellent bike and very lightweight. The r would do very well off road. I found it to be pretty miserable to ride on the highway with our 70-80mph speeds, and was uncomfortable for that. You can do it, but you won't like it. Tank is very small and a 3 gallon tank upgrade should be done ASAP if you plan to do any off road riding.

DR650 is an absolute dream on the highway. I don't know why but it has great wind management without any windscreens. With a parabellum rally screen it will go all day. Engine is relaxed at highway speeds. Wonderful bike in the twisties or around town, and great off road. It's heavy and tractorlike off road, though. Recommend throwing suspension on it right away and leaving the rest stock.

Sounds like I’m doing a day of test rides to see how they feel. I doubt I’m going to be able to get off-road during test rides though.

I’m not all that willing to sacrifice off road for highway performance. The 300km run at speed is worst case - I have to get across Toronto to a cottage in eastern Ontario, and that’s the minimum time method, which is once or twice a year. My preferred route is only 100km of 407, and the rest is running at 100km/h max. If I commute, it’s all back roads.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Snapshot posted:

Sounds like I’m doing a day of test rides to see how they feel. I doubt I’m going to be able to get off-road during test rides though.

I’m not all that willing to sacrifice off road for highway performance. The 300km run at speed is worst case - I have to get across Toronto to a cottage in eastern Ontario, and that’s the minimum time method, which is once or twice a year. My preferred route is only 100km of 407, and the rest is running at 100km/h max. If I commute, it’s all back roads.

I find nice scenery on a ride makes the miles not seem so bad. The WR is absolute misery on the freeway and wouldn't want to go more than 50 miles that way, but if you put me on some backroads I can ride all day. I've spent a lot of time in Western Ontario and it's very nice (rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees and WATER). Take the commute and turn it into an adventure. Who cares how long it takes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

I find nice scenery on a ride makes the miles not seem so bad. The WR is absolute misery on the freeway and wouldn't want to go more than 50 miles that way, but if you put me on some backroads I can ride all day.

Cool things to look at and turns to get you moving around on the seat both help a ton with fatigue, as does reducing the wind load on your head and neck.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Snapshot posted:

+1 on DR650 or DRZ. As stated the DR is better on the highway, a bit heavy on dirt, but one with sorted out suspension (which is pretty drat affordable for some basic upgrades) is just a really great bike that is cheap to own. DRZ is a little lighter, a little taller, and a little slower on the top end.

As a dirt dilettante, I think good suspension plus the farm implement transmission does a lot to account for the few extra pounds the DR carries around. I've put mine on some pretty gnarly rutted up lovely climbs and descents at basically a walking speed, and was kind of shocked at how balanced it is.

On the highway, it's great either cruising along on straight stuff at traffic speeds, or doing twistier stuff, both with supermoto wheels and dirt wheels.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 23, 2021

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Currently been riding a Honda Shadow RS for the past 5 years, but looking to upgrade at some point to something similar, but maybe with ABS. The Triumph Bonnevilles look nice but my RS has a 30 inch seat height and that's pushing what my stubby legs can manage to back out of a parking spot, so going to 31 inch plus is not appealing. Basically looking for non-tank mounted instruments, upright riding posture, "classic" look and sub 30 inch seat.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Plank Walker posted:

Currently been riding a Honda Shadow RS for the past 5 years, but looking to upgrade at some point to something similar, but maybe with ABS. The Triumph Bonnevilles look nice but my RS has a 30 inch seat height and that's pushing what my stubby legs can manage to back out of a parking spot, so going to 31 inch plus is not appealing. Basically looking for non-tank mounted instruments, upright riding posture, "classic" look and sub 30 inch seat.
Try Rebel 1100 or even 500 is faster and more agile than the Shadow. Triumph bobber/cruiser variant is very ergonomical as well. Kawasaki has the 650 cruiser, but I think they use forward pegs. And Indian Scout with mid controls is hard to beat. Doesn't get more classic than that

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cb1100, Ducati scrambler maybe.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

H-D Street Bob?
H-D Softail Standard?

Both have:

26.7" seat height.
ABS.
Non-tank mounted instruments.
Upright.
Classic look.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Plank Walker posted:

You could always lower the triumph

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Isn't the factory triumph bobber super low?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Isn't the factory triumph bobber super low?

Yes. That's why I recommended
CB1100 seat is taller and bike is top heavy. They're not going to like it

What's the budged?