Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

katka posted:

Giving this some real thought about what type of riding I really do. I’m lucky enough to live in the foot hills of the Appalachian mountains and can get to some truly great and twisty mountain roads in 15 minutes. I’m about 2 hours from things like the Blue Ridge Park Way or Tail of the Dragon. I mainly use my bike for commuting to work and playing up in the mountains. I’d like be able to carry enough stuff on it for some multi day trips or to get a few things from the store.

The GS/GSA bikes definitely don’t seem like what I would really want. Thinking about it I think something in more of the sport touring vein would suit me more. That was one reason I was looking at the F900XR. Though I’m definitely going to put some research into what other manufacturers offer in this vein.

You need an sv650 with a top box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
New Tiger 660 might fit, and it's a shame you don't get Tracer 7s.

E: VVV Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

E2: MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 24, 2022

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

VFR800

(Don’t actually do this, but I want one)

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.

Slavvy posted:

^^^ that's some nice looking pig iron I gotta say

SR is literally, literally an 80's bike with efi strapped on, not even electric start. I think it's a downgrade from your CL.

Scramblers are good, strife has one and it's only been moderately Italian afaict.

Ended up sitting on bikes the other day - Z650RS was fun enough but just didn't feel right to me. The W800 really just fits what I want out of a bike. Was amused that the gas tank is nearly double the size of my old Honda.

Mildly tempted to sit on my hands and see if the CL500 rumor comes true, but the idea of picking up one of the fire-sale W800 Cafes and simply swapping the handlebars is tempting.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Well, time to coalesce some thoughts over a coffee and some tacos.
2014 NC750X, non-DCT...
Firstly, what an absolute doddle to ride. It's practically telepathic. Suspension is plush. It's got enough go. Ergonomics are spot on. This one had bark busters and a givi screen that would be perfect if I was 4 inches shorter, but as it was I could duck in to quiet air and there was no buffering or discomfort. There's no discomfort at all, actually. It's kinda ideal.
Then the rev limiter kicks in.
I'm not sure if I can get over it.
That rev limiter has given me empathy for all the Asian parents in the world who's son has just announced he's dropping out of med school to follow his dreams of being a tattoo artist. That's how disappointing it is.
It is erectile dysfunction in mechanical form.
But, it's got a frunk! Handy! As long as you can be happy with the 3000 rpm rev range Honda has granted you and don't ask any more questions than that, it's probably the perfect every day, do anything bike.
I've got some thinking to do, and other bikes to ride. If I had fun bike, there wouldn't be any question. It is an ideal workhorse. But I'm in a one-bike-only situation and I don't think I can accept the limitations of that powerplant.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Do not buy it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just get an sv650 gently caress me people make this poo poo harder than it needs to be

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Can the rev limiter be remapped?

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It's probably not a good idea, the engine geometry is supposedly basically that of a car engine. (Specifically the engine in a Honda Fit)

Note for example that the NC700X (previous gen) engine is pretty substantially undersquare (73x80) compared to, for example, an SV which is nearly as oversquare (81 x 63)

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 26, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do not remove or alter the rev limiter without knowing what will break first when it’s overrevved, because sometimes it’s fun stuff like crankshafts and not just the valve float that you might expect.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Just get an sv650 gently caress me people make this poo poo harder than it needs to be

There is one (1) non-s sv650 for sale locally for under $8000, and it is this one.
http://www.autotrader.ca/go/19-12188306
Were I to extend my search area to a reasonable day trip fly-and-ride, I extend my options to two (2). They didn't sell the naked versions in Canada until more recently than you would have thought.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The limiter is irrelevant, you can take that limiter off and it won't change anything because the engine simply isn't making power there, you're already on the down slope of the torque curve at like 7000. To get any actual gains you'd need to modify the motor itself.

Mirconium posted:

It's probably not a good idea, the engine geometry is supposedly basically that of a car engine. (Specifically the engine in a Honda Fit)

Note for example that the NC700X (previous gen) engine is pretty substantially undersquare (73x80) compared to, for example, an SV which is nearly as oversquare (81 x 63)

It is half a fit engine, even runs the same plugs.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Motorcycles are supposed to be fun and it sounds like you'd hate this one before long based on those early impressions. Unless this is going to be your sole mode of transportation, throw practicality to the wind I say :cool:

Slavvy posted:

The limiter is irrelevant, you can take that limiter off and it won't change anything because the engine simply isn't making power there, you're already on the down slope of the torque curve at like 7000. To get any actual gains you'd need to modify the motor itself.

It is half a fit engine, even runs the same plugs.
Oh drat that's hilarious. The Fit's a great, boring car, shame they stopped making them. Going to drive mine until it falls apart.

I've thought about this a while and if I ended up getting more than one bike, think I'd get something super comfortable/practical (Versys or the like), something small and fun for throwing around on short mountain roads (N400 which I already have), and something absolutely ridiculous like a i4 600 or liter bike. As it is though, unless I sell my car which I've been tempted to do a few times, I'm limited to 1 fun bike.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The Fit is the Ninja 250 of cars, it doesn't matter what you're doing with it you can have fun if you try.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FBS posted:

The Fit is the Ninja 250 of cars, it doesn't matter what you're doing with it you can have fun if you try.

And you probably won't even be breaking the law unless you're in a school zone or something.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just get a DR650 and toss a parabellum screen and a tall seat concepts. It's got all the down low WONK that you want on side roads while settling down to a purr on the highway.

Anyway why are you looking to honda when you have problems that need suzuki answers.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coydog posted:

Just get a DR650 and toss a parabellum screen and a tall seat concepts. It's got all the down low WONK that you want on side roads while settling down to a purr on the highway.

Anyway why are you looking to honda when you have problems that need suzuki answers.

Oh I'm not looking to Honda, I just wanted to go test ride something (anything) instead of sitting around with my thumb up my rear end watching YouTube reviews and waiting for a unicorn to appear like I have been all winter.

And I'll be hosed if I'm going to spend 8 grand on a DR650.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I mean yeah that would be pretty stupid, even stupider than buying a brand new bike normally is

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Oh drat that's hilarious. The Fit's a great, boring car, shame they stopped making them. Going to drive mine until it falls apart.

They didn’t stop making them, they just stopped selling them in the US because we are dumb and don’t buy good cars and instead buy brodozers and CUVs

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I think I decided late last year when I was putting my drz away for winter that I want an sv650 as my next bike, eventually. I think I like suzuki bikes a lot and all the recs to try an sv out are just adding fuel to that fire.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

TheBacon posted:

They didn’t stop making them, they just stopped selling them in the US because we are dumb and don’t buy good cars and instead buy brodozers and CUVs

Same problem with bikes. Why didn't we get the VTR250, a cute little baby SV? Because Americans are philistines. Why didn't we get the ZX25R? Philistines. No VFR800F for us anymore? Philistines. NT650, the most beautiful bike of the 90ies with headers, engine, and frame sculpted by angels? Sold for 3 years to philistines.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

But Not Tonight posted:

I think I decided late last year when I was putting my drz away for winter that I want an sv650 as my next bike, eventually. I think I like suzuki bikes a lot and all the recs to try an sv out are just adding fuel to that fire.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. The SV650, in my opinion will eventually be remembered in the way that we think of the original CB750 today

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. The SV650, in my opinion will eventually be remembered in the way that we think of the original CB750 today

Isn’t it already there?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
So my saga of "which bike to buy for an x mile commute" has finally come to an end. Offered a new post at a measly 3 mile commute each way. It's hard to look past an electric scooter for that kind of distance, and am going to sit on a Piaggio One Active soon, but it feels like part of me will die if I buy that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TheBacon posted:

Isn’t it already there?

Maybe? I feel like it needs more retrospective time, considering that you can still buy a new SV650 today, but you also might not be wrong

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Lungboy posted:

So my saga of "which bike to buy for an x mile commute" has finally come to an end. Offered a new post at a measly 3 mile commute each way. It's hard to look past an electric scooter for that kind of distance, and am going to sit on a Piaggio One Active soon, but it feels like part of me will die if I buy that.

VanVan (also filed under Americans can't have nice things).

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

FBS posted:

I did get the manual transmission, so it's got that going for it, I just have so little interest in anything with four wheels outside of a utensil for getting from one place to another. It can be surprisingly zippy, especially when you drop down a gear.

TheBacon posted:

:gonk: I didn't realize that, we never deserved the Fit in the first place

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Lungboy posted:

Unless that 3 miles involves restricted access highways, just get an e-bike.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Finger Prince posted:

Unless that 3 miles involves restricted access highways, just get an e-bike.

I'm disabled so the only ebikes that would be sufficient are illegal here in the UK.

e: that's not quite true, they aren't illegal but fall under the same classification as motorbikes.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Lungboy posted:

I'm disabled so the only ebikes that would be sufficient are illegal here in the UK.

e: that's not quite true, they aren't illegal but fall under the same classification as motorbikes.

Oh poo poo, I think I remember you mentioning that before. Sorry, e-bike is sort of the default response. I have an e-bike here with a throttle that's limited to ~32km/h, looks like something like that would need to be "type approved", whatever that entails, in the UK.
Yeah if you're to cross the line of e-bike to motorbike, you might as well all the way cross it. All the step through electrics here seem to be speed limited Chinese imports of varying levels of sketchiness.
There's always the Grom!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Finger Prince posted:

Oh poo poo, I think I remember you mentioning that before. Sorry, e-bike is sort of the default response. I have an e-bike here with a throttle that's limited to ~32km/h, looks like something like that would need to be "type approved", whatever that entails, in the UK.
Yeah if you're to cross the line of e-bike to motorbike, you might as well all the way cross it. All the step through electrics here seem to be speed limited Chinese imports of varying levels of sketchiness.
There's always the Grom!

I wouldn't go Grom due to the price but the Benelli TNT 125 could be an option as it's so much cheaper. I think ultimately the Piaggio just makes too much sense to not get it, I just need to stop my heart and go with my head. I've contacted my local dealer to go and have a sit on one asap, just waiting to hear back.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Lungboy posted:

I wouldn't go Grom due to the price but the Benelli TNT 125 could be an option as it's so much cheaper. I think ultimately the Piaggio just makes too much sense to not get it, I just need to stop my heart and go with my head. I've contacted my local dealer to go and have a sit on one asap, just waiting to hear back.

It's worth doing. You don't know for sure you won't like it until you try it. It might be a hoot!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's a really good bike. Rev happy yet really comfortable to use in slow traffic. Flickable, yet relaxing. Even my 1999 one holds up quite well compared to more modern bikes. It's the Miata of bikes.
I've tried some new bikes, but not a single one i tried i'd like to have as a replacement for the SV.
Some handle a lot better and are more fun (Duke 890r) but are not comfortable enough to be a replacement.
Some are more comfortable and smooth (Ducati Monster) but are not as fun and alive as the SV.

Maybe Suzuki should start calling it the Sviata in the USA. Sv Is Always The Answer.

I've never ridden a CB750, only a 2007 CB500. Can't say i was that impressed by the cb500, except for the very sturdy feel. But i haven't tried it since i got my license.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 26, 2022

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I mean, I'm not going to get it, but it is interesting at that price...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You would categorically hate that bike.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Only the second Over pipe I've seen on anything outside their website (the first being mine)

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Yeah a 30 year old vmax will likely be a maintenance nightmare, and it's definitely something you want to know that you absolutely want it.

I've also been told by a few bike guys familiar with them, the biggest issue with them is they absolutely guzzle gas, and the tank is alot smaller then they seem.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't jump on a newer one, but I'm definitely more iffy on something that old. Then again the Valkyrie is legit an amazing bike that I want to keep till it literally dies or I can't get parts for it and the engines hosed

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Hi thread. I believe it's time for me to downsize, and I need a recommendation. Currently, I have two bikes - a Super Tenere and a V-rod. Seeing as how I don't do the adventure touring thing so much anymore, I'm thinking of getting rid of the Super Tenere and switching to something more commuter size for my ride to work. I'd like something new, would like to keep it as close to 5 grand as possible, and it needs to be able to handle Las Vegas surface streets and the occasional hop on the freeway. It's that last bit which is keeping me out of a super cub as much as I like it. So I'm thinking instead of Royal Enfield, or maybe a 400cc Kawasaki or something. I prefer a standard riding position. I would also LOVE to get something like a Sondors Metacycle, but that's not really a real thing yet as far as I can tell, and most other electrics are more than I want to spend on a commuter.

So....thoughts?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

D

R

Z

S

M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010