Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Just as I thought, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Just get something Japanese if you actually need it to be reliable transport.

"Hi yeah I'm gonna have to work from home today...yeah...yeah...you know how it is" while waiting for the tow truck/calling up the dealer cause your final drive oil is on the garage floor now

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Are you really cross shopping a Guzzi and a KTM 390 against a CBR600? You need to have a think about what you want.

Which is a Ducati Scrambler

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

Are you really cross shopping a Guzzi and a KTM 390 against a CBR600? You need to have a think about what you want.

Which is a Ducati Scrambler

Hell yeah I am. I know precisely what I want - something physically smaller than either of my two bikes that I can use for city commuting, but can still do highway speeds, and isn't terminally boring. Guzzi? Cool. Cbr? Great. Like I said, I'd look at a super cub but it doesn't have the speed. I'd look at a scrambler. Hell I'd look at a Monster or something too. I'll look at whatever comes around that meets those criteria. The variety is half the fun.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

None of the three bikes you've mentioned will do all three of those jobs

Have you considered a dr650

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yes, but I was uninspired. I already have one tall offroadish bike, don't need to go into something else that I have to tiptoe at stoplights.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I swear this forum should be called "The Cabinet of DR Calamari" the way that somnambulant bike gets recommended. SNOOOOOOZE

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

None of the three bikes you've mentioned will do all three of those jobs

Have you considered a dr650

He doesn't need to herd sheep to pasture.

Mr Wiggles have you considered a GSX-S750? Comfortable, tame and easy to ride in traffic and cities, great fuel economy, lovely to open up on the highway, lovely to chuck around on a fun ride. I love mine. Probably more power than you need for what you're doing but it's there when you want it.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Tiger 900 GT or Rally Pro - go on long rides and have fun and be comfortable
Or CBR600RR
Or CBR1000RR
gently caress it fireblade.
Go on short rides and have fun

Is money a thing?

The Tiger 900 looks cool too.

You are trying to buy a FUN bike, right? Anything can commute. All Japanese bikes will last.

If you are bored of cheap bikes get a nice one.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 10, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I swear this forum should be called "The Cabinet of DR Calamari" the way that somnambulant bike gets recommended. SNOOOOOOZE

I wasn't entirely serious because OP doesn't know what they want but if you think they're boring to ride you're a boring rider

Finger Prince posted:

He doesn't need to herd sheep to pasture.

Mr Wiggles have you considered a GSX-S750? Comfortable, tame and easy to ride in traffic and cities, great fuel economy, lovely to open up on the highway, lovely to chuck around on a fun ride. I love mine. Probably more power than you need for what you're doing but it's there when you want it.

This is an actually good idea, they're surprisingly interesting for what they are (like most Suzukis) and will actually get you to work every day

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Tiger 900 GT or Rally Pro - go on long rides and have fun and be comfortable
Or CBR600RR
Or CBR1000RR
gently caress it fireblade.
Go on short rides and have fun

Is money a thing?

The Tiger 900 looks cool too.

You are trying to buy a FUN bike, right? Anything can commute. All Japanese bikes will last.

If you are bored of cheap bikes get a nice one.

You are literally still on your first motorcycle, cool your jets

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Slavvy posted:

You are literally still on your first motorcycle, cool your jets

Mostly a money thing, half a I don't know if I want a dirt bike, sumo, or sports bike thing. I have 12000kms\8000 miles split between the Versys and chinabike which is reasonable I think.

CBR1000RR or 600RR would be what I want if I wanted a sports bike, would lean towards the 600rr because the local track has lots of turns and to develop good habits gear switching on the track. Some sense of responsibility goes with the 1000rr given how fast it can go and how quickly a turtle in the road can end your life.
I am pretty set on sumo, Husq 701 smc, Gasgas 700 sm, KTM 690 SMC R, next year.
My stepfather had a mediocre experience at the ATV park on his CRF450RL which turned me off for anything but a dedicated specialized dirt bike. He's not going to bring it back there, he's going to keep it on the street. I'd want a small trail bike.

If you have cash...have been riding...bored of what you have...why not get something on the higher end of bikes? Or at least the GSX R750 over the S...isn't the S just detuned? The sporty body positioning of a sports bike isn't annoying for a short commute...no one is going to hop on a proper Japanese liter sports bike and be like I hate this bike, I'm bored...

Why not recommend the best, coolest, fastest bikes, and if money is an issue, then the more reasonable ones, given rider experience isn't an issue? :dogstare:

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 10, 2023

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Slavvy posted:

you're a boring rider

lol true and also

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I have 12000kms\8000 miles split between the Versys and chinabike which is reasonable I think.

mega lol

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

GriszledMelkaba posted:

lol true and also

mega lol

I just really like Honda sportsbikes. I only have a dozen and some change miles on my friend's CBR1000RR. I know I don't have 20 years of riding experience but like don't get why people would discourage the 600RR. I get the duke 390. If it's on someone's list I'm like heck yeah. It's not unreliable, and it is fun, and it's not uncomfortable for a few dozen miles daily. Checkboxes check out ok.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fireblade + gopro

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yes, but I was uninspired. I already have one tall offroadish bike, don't need to go into something else that I have to tiptoe at stoplights.

Have you considered an F3 800?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TheBacon posted:

Have you considered an F3 800?

These are a fantastic motorcycle and I love them but they're a terrible way of getting to places on time

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
There's a high probability the v7 sucks but I support someone else buying it so I can hear about the ownership experience. But also you should buy the interceptor. Reliability's not even real, it's just a thing guys talk about online.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Final drive oil is a scam run by big pinion, just grease that poo poo, and anyway why do you think the seals always fail? It's so they can sell you more seals *taps head*

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It would be funny having a comedy of errors going from a big Japanese shaft drive to a smaller Italian shaft drive. And someone did bring up a good point about two air cooled cylinders sitting right in front of my knees while waiting at a stoplight in Vegas when it's 120 out and the pavement is like 150. But it has soul. 750 Suzuki looking good actually - I'll give one a look.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

CB650F

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Slavvy posted:

These are a fantastic motorcycle and I love them but they're a terrible way of getting to places on time

I thought we decided that the point was not showing up?!?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I mean do you want to go to work?

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
Just check which bike has the best dealer support on your route to work, easy.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i have a continental gt and it's been great for my commute (i work from home)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MSPain posted:

i have a continental gt and it's been great for my commute (i work from home)

Thread title

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I looked at an XSR700 and I kind of like it a lot, but I have been more interested in the CB650R, but no one has one. There is one listed by me, but I can't get a straight answer out of the dealer, so whatever, I kind of want to avoid that dealership for now. The dealer closer to me says they can't get any Hondas in, so would I regret not waiting for the Honda? I haven't ridden either but I have the bug to replace my KTM. I'll test drive the XSR, and I am sure I will like it fine, but curious what people think about the two. The I4 seems a like more interesting, but impossible to find in my area it seems.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's the other way around. The xsr has an unusually interesting parallel twin, the cb650 has an unusually boring i4. I think the Yamaha is more 'fun' and 'exciting' but the cb will go just as fast and do exactly the same things in a much less stimulating way.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Well that is good to hear, thanks for the input, I'll probably buy it tomorrow pending test drive.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

Rusty posted:

I looked at an XSR700 and I kind of like it a lot, but I have been more interested in the CB650R, but no one has one. There is one listed by me, but I can't get a straight answer out of the dealer, so whatever, I kind of want to avoid that dealership for now. The dealer closer to me says they can't get any Hondas in, so would I regret not waiting for the Honda? I haven't ridden either but I have the bug to replace my KTM. I'll test drive the XSR, and I am sure I will like it fine, but curious what people think about the two. The I4 seems a like more interesting, but impossible to find in my area it seems.

I can't speak to the CB650R, but I own a 2021 XSR700 and I absolutely love it! That said, it is probably what many people would describe as a thoroughly boring motorcycle. It has an incredibly linear throttle that provides supremely predictable and easily managed power from about 3k - 6k-ish rpm, past that is where you actually get a tiny bit of excitement and that "umph" sensation, but not much. I can't tell if it's a feature of the fuel injection/emissions, but sometimes it seems like the bike is thinking for you for a split second while up shifting. If you're shifting very quickly, the computer seems to almost rev match without any user input, like you just hold the throttle steady while you pull the clutch and it drops the engine speed appropriately for the next gear, it can be disconcerting. The suspension leaves a fair bit to be desired, but you kinda get what you pay for there at it's price point. It does great for casual riding and commuting, but you probably want to scout roads before going too fast because it is pretty easy to lose a line to any and all disturbances in the road that a better suspension would absorb. That might be drastically improved when I get rid of the stock tires, but I doubt it, the bike just kinda bobs up and down a bit after it goes over a bump or dip. I'm on the heavier side, so other rider's experience may change, but it doesn't take much braking to eat up all the travel in the front as well, and then the ABS kicks in pretty soon after. As a pretty standard UJM riding position it's about as comfortable as you can get on a bike that isn't expressly designed for touring, I've spent a handful 8-10 hour days in the saddle without any major discomfort or fatigue. I haven't managed to put any saddlebags or hardcases on mine, but if you have long trips in mind, it's worth noting that it doesn't seem like there are a ton of options for luggage or panniers and the capacity of what's out there doesn't seem to go beyond about 20 liters. Someone I spoke to at SW-Motech mentioned that it has to do with how much weight the subframe can handle safely, but well...something to keep in mind. Maintainence is really easy, normal checks for proper operation as clearly outlined in the manual might take about 5-15 minutes a week, about 20-30 minutes every 4k miles to change the oil, 20-30 minutes to adjust the chain slack even less frequently (my riding style is mostly very tame could be different for others). It seems to be bulletproof Japanese engineering from what I can tell, I'll be very surprised the day I walk outside and my motorcycle doesn't just start right up and go places.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I bought a CB650R recently and I like it a lot. One of the other bikes I was considering was the xsr700. I ended up with the CB for a few reasons, I liked the seating position a little more and I think the CB looks a little better. I like the inline 4 engine feel and sound, I hadn’t had the chance to ride one before the CB so I don’t know if it’s boring compared to others. I wouldn’t be surprised since it is a Honda. I don’t think there is a wrong choice either way and if I had bought the XSR instead I think I would be just as happy. If the XSR is available and the CB kind of isn’t that also seems like a big factor.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Fluffs McCloud posted:

I can't speak to the CB650R, but I own a 2021 XSR700 and I absolutely love it! That said, it is probably what many people would describe as a thoroughly boring motorcycle. It has an incredibly linear throttle that provides supremely predictable and easily managed power from about 3k - 6k-ish rpm, past that is where you actually get a tiny bit of excitement and that "umph" sensation, but not much. I can't tell if it's a feature of the fuel injection/emissions, but sometimes it seems like the bike is thinking for you for a split second while up shifting. If you're shifting very quickly, the computer seems to almost rev match without any user input, like you just hold the throttle steady while you pull the clutch and it drops the engine speed appropriately for the next gear, it can be disconcerting. The suspension leaves a fair bit to be desired, but you kinda get what you pay for there at it's price point. It does great for casual riding and commuting, but you probably want to scout roads before going too fast because it is pretty easy to lose a line to any and all disturbances in the road that a better suspension would absorb. That might be drastically improved when I get rid of the stock tires, but I doubt it, the bike just kinda bobs up and down a bit after it goes over a bump or dip. I'm on the heavier side, so other rider's experience may change, but it doesn't take much braking to eat up all the travel in the front as well, and then the ABS kicks in pretty soon after. As a pretty standard UJM riding position it's about as comfortable as you can get on a bike that isn't expressly designed for touring, I've spent a handful 8-10 hour days in the saddle without any major discomfort or fatigue. I haven't managed to put any saddlebags or hardcases on mine, but if you have long trips in mind, it's worth noting that it doesn't seem like there are a ton of options for luggage or panniers and the capacity of what's out there doesn't seem to go beyond about 20 liters. Someone I spoke to at SW-Motech mentioned that it has to do with how much weight the subframe can handle safely, but well...something to keep in mind. Maintainence is really easy, normal checks for proper operation as clearly outlined in the manual might take about 5-15 minutes a week, about 20-30 minutes every 4k miles to change the oil, 20-30 minutes to adjust the chain slack even less frequently (my riding style is mostly very tame could be different for others). It seems to be bulletproof Japanese engineering from what I can tell, I'll be very surprised the day I walk outside and my motorcycle doesn't just start right up and go places.
I am very curious about the power output, my bike now has about the same power, but it comes on instantly which can be fun, but also can make riding a bit jerky, so I am kind of looking for something more linear, and also more reliable. I guess I'll see how it compares tomorrow, but the riding position was a lot better and the seat felt a lot more comfortable. I haven't seen a CB650R in person so I can't comment on that one, but the comfort when sitting on the XSR was a huge draw.

CongoJack posted:

I bought a CB650R recently and I like it a lot. One of the other bikes I was considering was the xsr700. I ended up with the CB for a few reasons, I liked the seating position a little more and I think the CB looks a little better. I like the inline 4 engine feel and sound, I hadn’t had the chance to ride one before the CB so I don’t know if it’s boring compared to others. I wouldn’t be surprised since it is a Honda. I don’t think there is a wrong choice either way and if I had bought the XSR instead I think I would be just as happy. If the XSR is available and the CB kind of isn’t that also seems like a big factor.
Yeah, if I could find one I would test drive and compare, but that doesn't seem possible right now. Thanks for the post, I do kind of like looks on the 650R better, but the XSR is also nice.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
I have a '16 XSR700 that i've had since new. Its been perfectly fine for me being used daily for short work commuting, along with regular blasts around the IoM.

I'm not sure if any of the updates the MT07 had (suspension etc) were carried over to newer model XSR's or not, I don't think they have been as I think they still have the regular forks and not the USD forks the MT07 gets now.

Few things to watch out for:

The standard rear shock is terribly bouncy, under damped, and sprung for lighter riders. It will throw you out of the seat over bumps. After the initial bump its like a bouncy castle. The forks (at least on mine) again are very underdamped too. I never got around to fixing it but theres various options to sort them out. I'm around 95kg in gear and I bottom the forks out with just slighty spirited braking...

The stock tires (i think they're perreli phantoms?) are 'ok'. I found them underwhelming in the wet though. I got around 6300 miles out of them before changing to michilen road 4's which we're so much better all round.

The finish on the swingarm was a problem. Mine was replaced under warranty after around a year. The finish was flaking around the welds and causing rust.

The seating position is very upright as standard, but makes it really really easy ride. I put some lower bars on because I didn't like being so upright and wanted to be a little more forward.

The speedo is mounted to the bar clamps (unless they've changed it now). Get the bracket that relocates it above the headlight.

A lot of exhausts are/were interchangable from the MT07's so you should have plenty of options for that sort of thing. I have the older XSR700 specific dual Akrapovič full system. It sounnds pretty nice with the baffles out.

Power wise, I never really find it lacking. It has a bit of a dead spot in the midrange around 4000-4500 rpm, where it just doesn't feel like its accelerating, then it takes off again. It does run out of steam around 90-100mph but it will push on to around 125mph. It's not really a bike made for those speeds though, and the budget suspension doesn't really like it, it starts to wander across the road above 100mph.

If you can find any nearby maybe try the Honda CB750, I've been hearing good things about them recently. Similar p-twin simple bike as the XSR, just without the retro styling and a bit more power.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I bought it, bye ktm.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

Rusty posted:

I bought it, bye ktm.

Rad!

How far have you gotten to ride it? I think I like that color scheme more than the red, white, gold on my own! Little less busy or something. Looks like the little updates since '21 should improve QOL as well.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Fluffs McCloud posted:

Rad!

How far have you gotten to ride it? I think I like that color scheme more than the red, white, gold on my own! Little less busy or something. Looks like the little updates since '21 should improve QOL as well.
I only rode it like 5 miles so far, from the dealer to home, I had work bugging me to get back in unfortunately. The one thing that surprised me on this is it's even more jerky that the KTM 690 I had when releasing the throttle which I am sure I will get used to, other than that it is awesome. I am pretty happy with it and the dealership was a decent experience.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 15, 2023

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
That is a drat good looking bike.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Nice!

Looks like they finally wised up at some point and moved the clocks from the bar clamps to above the headlight on the newer models.

If you can find one, try and get one of the Vintech taillights, they're so much smaller and better than the stock one.

Pinny fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 15, 2023

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Oh, those are nice. I did a quick 25 mile ride and got adjusted real fast to it, it does something the KTM could not do, be in 3rd gear at 35, so the issue is riding it like my KTM and staying in a lower gear is no longer necessary. I am also pretty sure it is faster, but not by much, but don't want to rev is out too much. The ride is a lot smoother with the twin.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's not really any faster in a straight drag race or a simple v shaped corner, but it is much faster overall when you've got to string together a bunch of corners with awkward cambers and bumps and stuff. That's been my experience with every back to back comparison of a 690 with an mt07 or SV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Congrats! Is the gauge puck visible in direct sunlight?