Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
How much money do you save when you buy at the end of the season instead of before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-DUCATI-1098S-LIKE-NEW-EXTREMELY-FAST-OHLINS-SUSPENSION-BRE-W0QQAdIdZ78144155

Never has a ad screamed scam until now.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 3, 2008

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-REDUCED-RARE-1993-SUZUKI-BANDIT-W0QQAdIdZ83437938

Tell me about looking at a Japanese imported bike.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=85061667

I dare some of you to not look at this ad and not cream your pants.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/mcy/1130338736.html

I want this soooooooooooooooooooooo bad. Its about a 800$ to much though.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Nerobro posted:

and virtually imposable to find parts for. You're not missing "much".

Maybe engine parts. I thought Bandits were decently popular? I know there are a bunch of 1200s, a few 600s and 400s, and like 4 250s around me.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I hate how god drat rare Suzuki GSF400s (Bandits) are.

I only see 1 for sale every few months.

There are scads of newer, bigger, heavier, and more powerful GSF600 asking for cheaper prices. :( I'd have to convert it to being naked to since Canada didn't get naked Bandits other than the 400CC ones.

GSF600N:

GSF400:

I'm starting to think I'm crazy for wanting the 400 and should just start looking at 600s.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Too bad it looks like you're in Canada, I've got a '92 400 that I'm thinking about selling soon.

You bastard.

Post some pictures. I really want to hear what people say about Bandits. I'd love to hear from someone who's ridden a 400 and a 600. I want to know if the 600 is as heavier as it looks.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Is the frame the original color?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=299714703

Please tell me this is a really really bad idea.

Please.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

"[panic posted:

"]
That is an awesome idea, what are you talking about??

Shutup shutup. I don't want to have to buy a bike in questionable condition (even though it is cheap rare and exactly the bike I was looking for) under a deadline like that where the seller will be moving far away.

Damnit!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Is this bike actually as short and as stubby as it looks?

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=300342271

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
It could be because it is sitting on the center stand. I can't believe he wants $2,900 for a bike with a 'homebuilt' title. Which I'm assuming is a rebuilt title.

I think I'll still go see it as I've never seen a CB1 before.

This is also on the list of go-sees: http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=301065895

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Ugh. Used 4cyl naked bike selection is terrible.

I'm starting to consider getting a faired bike and doing the conversion. :mad:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Tell me how much harder it is to ride/learn on a Bandit 600 as opposed to a Bandit 400.

Is it THAT much heavier/bigger? I fit on a Bandit 400 quite well.

I can't for the life of me find a good Bandit 400 to buy.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Z3n posted:

The bandit 400 is listed as 380 dry, and the bandit 600 is listed at 510 dry.

So...yeah, it's quite a bit bigger and heavier. But the 400s are rare as hen's teeth in the US...I don't know where you are.

Penguin of Agony posted:

Z3n is right as usual. It's drat near impossible to find a Bandit 400 outside of maybe Japan. Getting spare-parts will probably be a pain.

The Bandit 600 is a decent beginners bike.

It doesn't feel as heavy as you would think. It's a pretty solid and mechanically proven bike and not much will break on it. It's got a good relaxed seating position and it's not insanely powerful. Parts are relatively cheap. You could do a lot worse for a beginners bike.

Thanks guys.

I know of one Bandit 400 for sale about 500kms away from me. Saw a repainted one that was a quick as is sale, and know of another one that the owner has offered as a 'project' since he wants to sell it, but hasn't put it back together.

And they aren't that much cheaper than newer Bandits. I'll call insurance to see what an extra 10 years newness and 200ccs will do to the premiums.

I like sport bikes, but have never liked fairings.

Naked 4cyl bikes look great.

EDIT: What is the difference between a Bandit 600 and Bandit 600S?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
The Bandit currently in question is a 600S from 2002.

Pictures show it super clean. Even the engine headers still look new.

Has 40,000km. Current owner has put in 6,000km this year and has only had it since May. Will be leaving the country (Edit: In September) for a year and while he wants to keep the bike, does not want to store the bike for an entire year. Though he has no records of valve maintenance, he said he asked when purchasing the bike about the valves and they were done at 30,000km. 5k after the manual suggests.

He did a compression test when he bought the bike in May. 1-4 is 140, 135, 145, 140.

New tires, new chain, rear brake service, oil change. Front brakes serviced last month.

He wants $3,300CAD. Which strikes me as a pretty reasonable price.

Any red flags here? (Apart from the missing signal? Or is that a flushmount?)

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 5, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Holy shnikies that's a comprehensive list of questions. Props to the seller for taking the time.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Were they all answered truthfully though? that's the kicker.

I'm pretty sure the seller won't appreciate you bringing a polygraph.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

SocksAndSandals posted:

Where in Canada is this? I bought My Bandit, almost exactly the same in GTA for $2200 it had about 32k on it at the time.

It's outskirts of the GTA.

Wanna sell me yours? :D

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What about Bandits? They are only bikini faired and can go naked without much fuss at all. Good standard bike as far as I can tell.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Talking Head posted:

Just quoting this to say that's a beautiful bike. I want

Despite not getting one for a first bike, I really want to own one some day. The frame is so pretty.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

freebooter posted:

Okay, I'm ready for my second bike. I started riding in January this year, and my first bike was a Kawasaki KLX 2007 because I was limited to a 250 in Western Australia. But now spring is coming up, and I'm in Victoria, a state which has a one-size-fits-all motorcycle license!

I don't want anything too crazy, but I do want:
- 450 or higher, since I'm sick of filling up my tank every day.
- Not a dirtbike, but a road bike. I thought I might have been into off-road, but I'm not, and I am now indubitably a city man.
- Ability to add panniers or saddlebags would be a plus, since Victoria is beautiful and I want to do some touring; also thinking of doing Tassie this summer.
- I'm fussy about aesthetics. I like naked bikes, specifically the vintage look, but obviously vintage comes with a price tag.

Other than that I'm clueless. Shoot!

Bandit 600?

Fairly popular sport tourer. Lots of luggage options available. Most regions only got faired models though. Kits are available for naked conversions. 600cc. Naked 4cyl headers are a good nod to old CBs. Has a hint of Ducati Monster when naked.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
As nice as it is, I can spot that the brake foot lever is bent and he has no qualms photographing a busted front signal.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I personally think sport tourers (while heavy) make good learners. They are usually a bit more comfortable and forgiving since they are designed for longer more relaxing journeys. Lazy to handle though.

But yea, the cheaper the better for a first bike.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

AncientTV posted:

What the hell, how do modern vehicles not shut off when they overheat, aside from when they're ruining themselves? If a temperature gauge is already present, engineer it to send an abort code to the ECU when poo poo hits the fan.

I'm also retarded apparently, so there's probably a reason why this wouldn't be feasible.

:shobon:

Newer more complex/expensive cars have a limp feature which detunes the engine and/or allows cars to move slowly in those cases.

But most times it's up to the driver to notice the warning and get the car to a safe breakdown area before shutting it down. Not shutting down when the car could have (though damaging itself) make it to a safer area would definitely be better than the car saving itself and shutting in a more dangerous place.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 6, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

-Inu- posted:

This did the trick for me. It sort of divided my mind into "track mode" and "street mode". In "track mode" triple digit speeds are commonplace and gently caress yeah let's go as fast as possible around this track. In "street mode" my mind can't help but think that anything above about 80 or so is just completely pointless and will only do more harm than good. When I'm on a track, accelerating WFO from a stop is nothing special and feels relatively normal to me. If I'm accelerating from a stop on the street, I could be giving the bike 75% throttle and shortshifting and it feels like I'm going to launch into loving orbit.

It's also likely to feel different since at a track, poo poo that will hurt you is generally quite far away giving you freedom to open it up. In the city, something that can rip your arm off is only feet away. Also, the closer you are to things, the more you feel speed.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...QAdIdZ339257597

quote:

soo i was fixing fuel like and put my hand in there and ripped out the kill switch cord..... i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to turn it off please email me thanks! here is the bike i am selling them. just 1 has the broken kill switch.http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...QAdIdZ337694858

:psyduck:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Is it mootmoot to want a quickshifter on a street bike? Because part of me does. :ohdear:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I cringe every time I hear someone else say it, but I want something bigger than a 250. I am keeping my eyes open for SV650s, but most that turn up are just a bit more than I want to spend.

What are the price of Bandits where you are? They might not be as sought after as SV650s. But their semi-rarity causes weird prices.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Z3n posted:

I prefer the 650 naked model. The more upright seating position is where it's at.

Don't they both have the same ergos?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
That bike looks super rad. I want one. (Also didn't know they existed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

VTNewb posted:

I purchased a trials bike from this same fellow.

Where are you riding your Trials bike?