Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gnomad posted:

2000 Aprilia Pegaso, like the F650 but lighter, and with better suspension.

I had to work at this, it didn't just happen. It's a good starter bike if you are tall enough, very versitle, but not the best bike for long road trips. F650 riders do those long trips all the time, but trust me, there are better bikes for long road trips.

I'm looking at an '06 Strada, (maybe an '08) probably will buy in the next few weeks. I'll use it mainly for commuting and shorter trips, though it will see some long tours in it's life. I'm hoping that "not well suited" doesn't mean "absolutely horrible at".

'08 Aprilia Pegaso Strada
'06 Aprilia Pegaso Strada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

iroc_dis posted:

Too good to be true?

http://columbia.craigslist.org/mcy/877986821.html

a lot of times with bikes like that, a person finances them and rides them for the summer, then just looks to get the balance back at the end of the season. Sort of a self-administered super short term lease.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Orange Someone posted:

If you're going to do that, then you'd make drat sure you get a loan without a fixed payment schedule or an early repayment penalty. But I can't see any reason why it would screw up your credit rating. It might not do anything good to your credit rating (that's a wierd one, normally getting better when you've paid back on time but there are some really wierd variables in there) but it wouldn't make it worse (you're not going to be late in any payments). Only problem I could see is if you're trying to recoup most of your original payment, you may not want to buy a brand new car as the depreciation may be too much for the budget, and you'd lose 10% of the money straight off.

Moving on towards me, I passed my test a month or so ago, DAS course, Britain, so there's no limit on what bike I can ride (apart from finacials). I've stuck with my Honda XR125L for the moment because it's bloody cheap to run and I'm fairly poor atm, but I've just got a new job. I don't want anything too big (insurance and fuel economy), something 600 would probably be the top end, although the SV650 is definitely a possibility, and I'm 6'4" (in case some of the bikes are too small) so there's nothing really too big.

Budget will be about £2000, hopefully £1500.

However, I'm wavering between two options. Either something like mine but with a bigger engine (I love the riding position and the visibility though I don't do much (any) offroad atm, so XR650R or F650GS type machine). Other option is something similar to the bike I did my test on (Suzuki GS500) which would seem to be better for long distances than the dualsport option. I do like the naked/standard look, and I've been told the ER-5 is a good machine, a friend of mine has a CB400 which is a nice machine.

Can anyone recomend any other models? Preferably a bit more recent, I'm not hot on the wrenching side and it will be a bike for commuting so something reliable would be nice.

Maybe something like a 2000-2004 Aprilia Pegaso? I just bought a fairly mint '06 for £2400 which is the new model with the Yamaha engine. Gnomad has one on here, he could probably tell you more about the previous generation.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Maybe I can just get my motorcycle listed as a "Implement of Husbandry". Yes, I till them fields with this racebike!

"I'm hoping this bike will get me laid"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Watommi posted:

What about this? I have no tools or know-how to repair bikes, but I figure there's no time like now to learn. I can probably swing a battery pretty easy, but how hard are carbs to work on? Is this doable for a complete non-mechanic, or should I look for something that would require less work?

I may be mis-remembering but I seem to recall something about those early Sabres as Not Safe. Something about scary handling, I don't remember. Maybe I'm thinking of something else? Someone want to correct me?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I think I want a BMW K1200R... I think so... I don't know. I've never ridden one, but the ergos are so comfortable from just sitting on one.

Also in the "do I want?" category: Yamaha MT-01, range and mileage being the biggest issue there.

And in the "I should probably get instead" category, Aprilia Shiver GT and new body Yamaha TMax (if they weren't so bloody expensive).

But I think I want a K1200R.

advice?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

soy posted:

I don't want to say that I'm bored of my ex250, but I am. Sorry. I'm going to sell it, and I'm looking at getting something like a new BMW GS, Aprilla MANA 850 GT, or possibly a KTM. I haven't really decided on brand and I'm only planting the seeds of this idea. Enduro style preferably or possibly Supermoto. I plan on doing a lot of long range traveling with this bike and possibly a bit of off-road at times. I'd like to drive it across the country and back, and also from California to Alaska at some point as well.

Also, I'll be buying it new probably. I don't like used stuff... I can't love sloppy seconds. Suggest me bikes.

I mostly have a boner for the new BMW F800 GS... God, what a sexy bike.

I've heard one rather manic and incredibly positive review from a Mana owner. It's a very nice package and the guy swears he'd be faster across a city than anything else on two wheels because of the auto trans. Maybe check out a Shiver GT too if the auto isn't to your liking. Aprilias are incredibly well equipped for the money. Fully comprehensive digital gauges (clock, chrono, dual trip, voltage, fuel warning mileage count, easy switch between miles and km if you have the service code, bunch of diagnostic stuff... more things I'm probably forgetting), and they don't charge extra for it, all their bikes get it. The GT's come with things like 12v power points, storage cubbies, etc as standard equipment.
It's a shame they never sold the new style Pegaso in the US, it's a great bike. If you're thinking maybe sumo, maybe look at a Dosoduro, but personally I couldn't live with a sumo seat for everyday riding and commuting.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Heavy, less power than the DRZ, lovely parts availability, and just as expensive? WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!?!?!

DRZ makes 50hp? Engine is the same as in the Yamaha MT-03, Tenere, Aprilia Pegaso, and maybe some other stuff too (all of which I'd pick over the MZ). Heavier than one for sure though. Not much isn't.

edit: just looked at the specs, it only makes 37hp in MZ trim? That's got to be at the wheel. I know Aprilia tuned theirs for a little more hp, but I thought it was only 2 or 3.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 27, 2010

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It's made by an Italian company starting with M (can't remember the exact name) to the various specs laid out by whoever buys it (mostly Yamaha). Maybe the MZ is restricted to meet horsepower limits set out by various licensing agencies.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

You can get parts for the engine. Anything else, though...good luck!

Edit: Although it'd be pretty awesome if you started replacing parts with the parts that you could get. Like crankcases for wheels and poo poo.

at 37 horsepower it's not exactly stressed, the engine would probably outlast every other part of the bike.

edit: both Bikez.com and MCN lists it as having 50hp, which sounds more likely. I think the one in the ad has been restricted if it's correct.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 27, 2010

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I went and looked at some bikes today... I really, really want a Guzzi V7 cafe, but it would be cruel to ride it year round, it's much more a smiling sunny day bike than a dreary drizzly salty winter bike. It would be an ideal second bike though. Got a test ride booked for an Aprilia Mana GT for wednesday... will report about it once I've done it. I've seen loads of reviews so far, ranging from glowing and gushing (owners) to not really convinced/veiled disgust (some magazine testers) so I'm really interested to see what the it's really like for myself.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If you had the opportunity to buy a kickass bike that you'd basically only own for a year, but it costs hypothetically 2000 units of currency/year to insure, or a "better" in every other way bike that is maybe slightly more expensive but only 1300 units of currency/year to insure, what do you do? The second bike would be kept for longer so may eventually depreciate more than the difference in insurance rates. The first bike probably won't drop that much in value over one year.

Basically what I'm trying to do here is justify getting boned hard over insurance just to have a pretty plaything to commute to work on.

edit: just had a chat with my insurance co; looks like the best plan is to wait until my policy comes for renewal in October, that way I have a 1yr UK no claims bonus which significantly reduces all my quotes. No more browsing autotrader!

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 11, 2010

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Iniquitous posted:

So I'm a new rider in London (used to be in the US) and bikes are ridiculously expensive here. I'm not sure how, but a new Ninja 250 retails for £4100 (so, make that about $6300). Most of the used ones I've seen have been going for around £3k ($4.5k). I got an unrestricted license a few months ago so I'm on the fence about what I should get. Part of me wants to go the Ninja 250 route, but they're scarce (and expensive) here. I'm not too keen on the 125s since I'm tall-ish (6'2") and I feel a bit cramped on them, but on the plus side they're easier to come by and likely cheaper to insure.

I did my learning and test on a Yamaha XJ6 ABS, which at £5400 list is only marginally more expensive than the Ninja and comes with ABS, and I did a test ride on a Monster 696 ABS not too long ago, but I also recognize that at 75-80hp those are pretty much at the top of what this forum would consider condoning (not necessarily approving) for a starter bike. Plus, they're new models; I'd be hard pressed to find either of those used anywhere. The reason I'm considering non-supersport 600s is that I felt much more comfortable riding them (body fit-wise) in the week of training and testing I did than the 125 I spent a day on. Unfortunately, it's rare to find them used (at least as far as I can tell from browsing gumtree--the craigslist equivalent here--for the past few weeks). I might consider buying new: money isn't a huge constraint, but I'd have a hard time swallowing dropping $6k on a 250, whereas $7.8k on a 600 is a bit less absurd (but still ridiculous, don't get me wrong).

I guess I know what the answer is (buy a used 125!), I guess I just need someone here to bash it into my skull :haw: Anyone have any thoughts?

new bikes are pricey, but there's so many good cheap used ones around there's no reason to buy new. For instance, you could buy my '06 Aprilia Pegaso for like, £2400, maybe less! It's perfect for bashing around the city! (pm me if interested ;) ).

Motorcycle News has a good classified section too, and not everyone lists their bike both on autotrader.co.uk and motorcyclenews.com so it's worth checking out both. Their reviews are pretty handy too.

Also, after being here for a while (the sooner the better to be honest) you stop doing the mental exchange rate arithmetic, because if you're earning pounds and spending pounds, it doesn't matter what that means in dollars

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Iniquitous posted:

Thanks for the responses, guys. Looks like I'll be looking for a 400. I'm in Zone 1, so I'm still trying to figure out stuff like where I'd park, and as a relatively recent transplant I'm not even entirely sure about the procedure for getting a bike insured and registered over here. The CB1 looks like a good bet so I'll see if I can track one of those down.

if you need help, you can ask me as I went through the same thing roughly 2 years ago moving from Canada.
For insurance I just used Carol Nash and they were pretty good and helpful. Parking is one of the best reasons to own a motorbike in London, there's plenty of free parking everywhere (except Westminster), probably around the corner from where you live even. Of course this will mean parking on the street so a good lock or a bike nobody wants to steal are a good idea.
Check this out to learn more about parking:
http://www.parkingforbikes.com/
click London, select your borough, and it'll tell you where you can park.

Also, buy my Pegaso. (It's also cheap to insure!)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

freebooter posted:

Inquitous and Linedance, a friend and I are about to move to London ourselves and I'd be interested in hearing how you went re: transferring your licenses. Having learned to ride in Vietnam I have no motorbike license at all, so I'll have to start from scratch, but he has an Australian license that limits him to 250cc or less. Back in Australia he'd have to take another practical test after 1 year of that license to progress beyond 250cc, and he's wondering whether he'll also have to do that in the UK.

In short, if you haven't got a full license from where you came from, you have to start from scratch. I only had my Canadian M2 (motorcycle) license when I moved and had to do another road test to get my full "M" endorsement. I had to wait until I was eligible to do so as well. I enquired with the DVLA and they said unless you have a full license, they were very specific about that, it won't transfer to poo poo. But a full license transfers directly across. What I ended up doing was flying home and doing my test, then submitting my full license once I had it.
If you guys are over 21 you can do the Direct Access course which lets you get on an unrestricted bike right after you're done with the learner phase.
One other thing, you have exactly one year from the day you arrive to transfer into the UK system which will mean giving up your previous country's license. If you want to keep your old license in case you plan to move back, you'll probably have to start from scratch in the UK.
check here for more info:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022561

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Saga posted:

Don't forget the factory steering damper that makes it corner like an oil tanker. Or the excess weight over the GSX-R750. Or ... Or... :)

they added the steering damper because without it too many people were killing themselves. The TL-R has the nickname "widowmaker" fwiw. Something about terrible tankslappers being all to common pre-damper.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Blaster of Justice posted:

All considered I don't think your first lady with the yellow teeth, Her Majesty, is much better than mine. Pudding is no real replacement for Røde Pølser.

How much is an Agusta F4 750 in your Godforsaken wasteland? How many lifetimes will I have to serve, if I drive it 10% off the speed limit in a remote northern village?

I don't know about an F4 offhand, but an '04-'05 750 Brutale can be had for under £6000 easily.

edit- looks like that age F4's are a little more, $7500+
double edit- zero lifetimes, maybe £90 fine, get caught doing it often enough and you might get banned for a few months and only be able to find insurance on a 125.
Or just go where the cops aren't looking.
triple edit- also, there are hills in the UK.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 6, 2010

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Saga posted:

AFAIK, the G450X is a full-on enduro bike. It's not going to be any cop on the road and, unless BMW have waved a magic wand, will require you tearing down the top end annually. Or sooner, if you ride daily. I'd like one too, but only if I was completely surrounded by dirt roads!

Pretty sure the BMW G bikes are pretty normal, fairly softly tuned engines. They're not exactly Aprilia SXV/RXV's*. I could be mistaken though. They kind of got forgotten about this side of the equator.

*OP there's a suggestion for you, an Aprilia RXV/SXV!... oh wait, extended periods and comfort were in your criteria... never mind

edit- looks like I was mixing up the G650 X____ with an unknown-to-me G450X... sorry!

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 21, 2010

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Well, it's time to move on from my old bike which got stolen, and look at what my next ride will be. I've had a long hard look at my finances, and I can't really be pushing much beyond what I expect to get from insurance without taking out a loan (something I don't want to do).
I started out looking for something with a shaft drive or the belt driven BMW F800S/ST, because I loving hate chains and chain maintenance. I've come to the realisation though, that basically nothing in that category is appealing AND affordable. The BMW R850R/R1150R is ok, and comfortable, but a bit of an old man bike, and just pushing the affordability (I figure I could stretch to £3000, but the lower the better). F800's don't creep down that far unless they're Cat C/D repaired. So it looks like I'm going to have to live with a chain a while longer. I could just get another Aprilia Pegaso, but I've been wanting something a little more distance and motorway capable for a while now.
One of these is parked a few blocks from me:

and I think it's pretty handsome, but I don't know about a fizzy 600cc 4, especially coming from a big thumper.
They do come in around my budget though, and well kitted out too:
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/searchresults/detail/Yamaha/FZ6-FAZER/2005/_/R-NXGN-7579234

Then I started thinking about VFRs...
And I started looking at pictures of them...
And I found this for sale:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/searchresults/detail/Honda/VFR800/2000/_/R-NXGN-7579421

And I want it.

The best part is there's shitloads for sale and they're almost all well within budget and come with all the extras I'd want (bar a Scottoiler, which can easily fit into the budget).
I used to have a '93 VFR, I think it's time for a newer one...

What do y'all think? Anything glaringly obvious I should be looking at?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

n8r posted:

I've owned two 5th gen VFRs and ridden an FZ6. The VFR is definitely a better bike, but I recently rode a 4th gen. The fuel injection in the 5th gen is poo poo and it's unnecessarily heavy. I'd look around for a 3rd/4th gen VFR as I feel like that's the best VFR made...

How are the 5th gens in urban traffic/splitting compared to say a 4th or 3rd gen? My 3rd gen wasn't great in urban settings, but I was a fool noob and should have started out on something lighter and easier anyway.
I borrowed my old 3rd gen a couple of years ago after riding the Pegaso for a year and I was surprised at how uncomfortable (read aggressive) I found it. My understanding is that the later generations got progressively more touring and comfort oriented, so I'm hoping that's the case for the 5th gen, as they do look gorgeous.
I'd love a pretty, light, comfortable, moderately powerful bike. But while such a thing might exist, it sure ain't in my snack bracket. Weight is just something I think I'm going to have to compromise on to get everything else I want.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Another thing to think about is wearing out your gear. Replacing gloves and boots isn't super cheap.

Decent gear should last at least a couple of bikes. My overpants have lasted 2 going on 3, my leather jacket 2 (it's still in fine shape, I just changed to textile), I've had 2 sets of gloves, plus one set for winter and 2 pairs of boots. The only thing that actually wore out was my original set of gloves.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 27, 2012

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm going to look at a couple of bikes tomorrow, try them out for comfort. I've narrowed my A-team choice to a ~2003 Ducati Multistrada 1000 or a Yamaha TDM900. Anything I should look out for? My B-team are either ~y2k VFR800s or Aprilia SL1000 Falcos which I'll start subbing in once I've exhausted my search for the first two.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Saga posted:

The tdm is well named, afaik. The 900 is like a scooter to ride.

I would look at pre-vtec vfrs and defiintely the falco. Aprilia in the ir infinite wisdom gave the falco the cheapest shock in the rotax engined range, so look for one that has an after market shock or at least a recent rebuild with a receipt. Iirc you can't just swap in an rsv/tuono shock because they use a different linkage and even if they fit, spring rates are wrong.

However, if my tuono is a guide, you won't do much better than 30mpg in town. A 2007 hornet would make a great town bike. They're probably within your budget.

I bought the Ducati

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

sofullofhate posted:

"I rarely actually ride my motorcycle because (choose one):

(1) the Starbucks is more than 5km away and it might get dirty;
(2) I've been waiting on insert part here to arrive from Italy for the past 8 weeks;
(3) the dealership has had it since February and won't give me a straight answer on when it will be ready;
(4) catastrophic mechanical and / or electrical failures occur every ride or three."

But really, as a Ducati owner, I'm broke. Welcome to the happy (but broke) club. Have you ordered any carbon fibre bits for it yet?

1) the nearest starbucks is 1km away
2 and 3) don't know where my nearest ducati dealer is... yet...
4) first order of business, fix the dodgy grip heater wiring repair
5) public transit is closer than starbucks

It came with a carbon hugger and belly pan. I guess that just leaves carbon hand guards ;)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

EvilCrayon posted:

So it feels like my VFR is slowly falling apart and it's getting to be a pain wondering what else will need replacing next. I'm about to rebuild my clutch master cylinder after it started leaking which makes me think I should rebuild my front brake master cylinder. And then I might as well rebuild my calipers as well. And then new rear tire, new front brakepads, Factory Pro Shift kit, Clutch Plates. And then something else really arbitrary will need replacing such as the ignition.

So basically I'm semi-in the market for a new bike. I just can't seem to make up my mind as to what I will actually love riding as much as the VFR. I love having that power on tap and although there's not the ridiculous top end of an i4 or the bottom end fury of a v-twin, the V4 has not let me down. The slightly more upright seating position is perfect and just overall the bike is very confident feeling and it rewards very smooth riding. The bike just feels a bit heavy at low speeds but it's manageable. I don't know if I'm quite looking for a hardcore super sport that will have my body in knots at the end of every ride and for some odd reason, I am really attracted to the RC-51 but only for absolutely no good reasons.

So what would be a decent replacement? I've been thinking about the Speed Triple or even an Aprilia Futura that's for sale locally...

I used to have a VFR750F. I know what you mean about heavy at low speeds. After my Pegaso got stolen, I considered a lot of the bikes you're looking at and in the end I ended up with a Multistrada 1k. The Rev is right, V2 is the best engine. If you still want a sporty riding position and you're considering a Futura, an SL Falco might be an option if you can find one.
I sat on a Blackbird recently and I thought it was quite a stretch to the bars, and not that comfortable. It'd be fine at 100mph but it didn't seem like it would be that great at lower speeds (keep in mind at the time I was riding a sit-up-and-beg bike). It's a big bike.
And then there's the y2k VFR800. If you love your VFR, why not just get a newer VFR?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

AncientTV posted:

My other options are pretty lacking :smith:
Hilarious example: http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3257355789.html

Well, here's one alternative option, buy this and trade it to him.
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ctd/3311443874.html

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Local but I found it online:
http://tig.gg/listing.php?lid=12773

Local vespa club is insane. I've done runs off the lights with a few of these guys and I tell you what those little things can launch if they're well ported.

EDIT:
WHAT THE gently caress
3K for a Blackbird, less than 10,000 miles on it, a bike that will do 175mph stock, with a 3 digit number plate (worth close to a grand these days, we're on 5 digits now).

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

EDIT2:
I need 3 grand and fast - I can sell the numberplate to pay for this...

Don't you live on Jersey? Wouldn't you run out of road before getting to 300kph? ;)
Although I suppose if you did manage it, you could probably just hydroplane to France like a snowmobile and keep on going!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't see why not, they're quite good bikes and (at least in the UK) were never big with idiots so used ones are generally in good condition. The only thing I'd say is they're quite heavy and have a much higher seat than an SV so make sure she at least sits on it to make sure she's comfortable with that.

(Mind you I still think owning a Japanese v-twin shows a fundamental lack of basic character in a person, either own an Italian bike or don't :colbert:)

I think exceptions can be made for things like TL-R's and RC51's...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Halo, is there an option /modification to add mid controls (or less forward controls) to soft tails etc? That might be an option.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

my old Pegaso had intermittent self cancelling signals. Sometimes they would cancel, and I'd think "oh, that was nice of them", and other times they wouldn't at all. I think it had something to do with lean angle, but it never worked quite right. I never did work out what the exact parameters were that would cause it to cancel.
My Multistrada has DIY cancelling. Not a problem, I never relied on the self-cancelling on the Peg anyway. Okay, sometimes I end up look like a Floridian retiree while riding down a straight road, but the blinking green light on the dash is pretty noticeable.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Halo_4am posted:

I'm looking at an employment change which will be roughly an hour of expressway/city mix each way, and parked in all kinds of vandal and theft heavy areas.

The V-Max which is a gas pig, and treated better than my first born is not something I wish to subject to this. Looking for a rat bike with phenomenal MPGs that doesn't completely suck on the highway. Thinking of maybe a salvage V-Strom 650? I'd put a trunk on it for a change of clothes and whatever else, but I'd leave the side bags off because I'll be squeezing in and out of the smallest places and parking it wherever the hell I can fit it.

I've always had a soft spot for motards and this is a fine excuse to get one.

phenomenal gas mileage can be found in BMW F800 bikes. They make ridiculously good numbers. Not exactly a rat bike, but older F800Ses can be had for fairly cheap (at least in the UK).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

Buy a KTM 990 SMT, enjoy having a SM with the silliness of a bandit.
If you buy it and survive, tell me how it drives as I think I found my dream bike.

I had a look at one of those at a dealership while checking out another bike. I only had a sit on it, and but it felt. like a grown up Pegaso. Ergonomics were great and the seat felt really nice. I'd love to try one out, shame they're still so expensive here. Maybe in a few more years when/if they come down in price.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ThatCguy posted:

Psst, you will.

So, speaking as someone who tracks/races things with 4 wheels and bought the medium sized BMW sport tourer with the same mentality of "I already have a track toy, the bike will be fun on the street". Yea, I've got leathers, I'm scrounging the WERA & AFJ boards for a ratted out 250 or SV650. The concept of "ooh, weekday track days" is tempting. Buddy at the dealership constantly sending me deals on S1000rr's also isn't helping.

Nah, not everyone is interested in tracking and racing. I'm not. Partly because my experience in racing (go-karting with mates) has revealed that I'm slow as poo poo. I'd rather ride on the street, whether commuting or touring just running errands. On the street you can control your pace and go as fast or as slow as you like, unlike the track where if you don't feel like attacking every corner and improving your laptimes every outing, why even bother?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It always makes me laugh when you see a bike advertised in the UK as "never seen rain". Might as well claim "never ridden".

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

I totally saw a dude on a scooter just fall over at a light once. No idea why.

Piaggio MP3 and he forgot to push the "stand up straight" button?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

Not a whole lot of Ulysses on the market right now either :(

Because I want a bike thats part fun, part commuter and part tourer. Which is why I would LOVE to have a KTM 990 SMT as it my dream bike. If not a Bandit 1200 would be the best candidate as well. But I am in no hurry, at earliest I would be selling off my bike at around the end of the month or at the latest the middle of august. I will only jump on a bike if I find a really good offer.

Some stuff I have found so far:
09 Aprilia R1000 Tuono, 09 KTM 690 Duke, 07 ktm 990 super duke

Have a look at a Ducati Multistrada 1000/1100 as well. You can get them well used and cheap all the way to ohlins-and- termis garage queens at 2x+ the price of an ordinary one. They're mostly all less than an SMT (which I was looking at as well, but they're still too much money), and the best part is you don't have to look at the front of it when you're riding it. And even that grows on you after a while.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

00 SUZUKI BANDIT 1200 - Its a street fighter so it may have been on an accident before, but there is no mention of a salvage tittle anywhere. Gonna give that guy a call once I am back home.

They made a naked version that looks just like that, so he may just be describing it as a street fighter because it doesn't have a fairing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The refinement, handling and power will be a gigantic leap compared to the SV you're used to. Also has a fairing which if yours was a naked, you may or may not like.

Definitely see if valve clearances have been done, it's a horrible nightmare to do on a VFR. Also remember it has linked brakes which you may or may not notice and may or may not give a poo poo about, but they're there anyway.

4th gen didn't have linked brakes. Also, re: valve checks, they are a huge PITA, but it isn't uncommon to find they'll go 30k+ without needing any adjustment.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

n8r posted:

Why is it a horrible nightmare on the VFR? He's talking about the gear driven cam generation not the vtec models which I thought were the ones that had the complicated adjustment process. It's going to be a pain because of the orientation of the rear cylinder but that's a different matter.

Wrist paint -->> throttle lock -->> problem solved.

It's not so much the process as it is the access. I'm trying to remember what it was on my old 3rd gen (I never actually did them while I owned the bike), but I know it was more than just removing the fuel tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I was going to say, get the Goldwing. gently caress the rest, time to find out why they are such loving awesome beasts.
I've never ridden one, but I've spoken to lifetime riders who've given one a go as a laugh and come to the sudden realization that, holy poo poo, this thing is actually really loving fantastic.