Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nerobro posted:

Other than buying a bad first bike, (breaking the 70hp rule by a LOT) that GSXR isn't far off from my typical motorcycle purchase. You probally overpaid a bit. Nothing there is serious work. If I were working alone, that's maybe four evenings worh of work, including the usual snags and broken bits.

It looks like you brought it to a good shop. And they gave you a complete, GOOD list of what's wrong. That's not common. I'd continue using that shop. :-)

Time to learn to do an oil change, and clean the carbs. There's a CV carb thread. Use it. :-) Clean the carbs. Take a picture of the rear rim so we can see it. MOST of my wheels have dents, and it's really not a big problem. If it's severe, new rims aren't that expensive.

GSX600...Katana. Not a horrible first bike. Not a great one, but not a horrible one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

trebuchet_tom posted:

What do you guys think would be a fair price for this Versys?

http://www.tricitycycle.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=09662287X1K5K2009J4I18I54JPMQ2871R0&veh=61906&pov=1088343

Obviously the $6,600 they're asking now is pretty ridiculous for an '08 model with 5k miles on it, but what do you think would be good? I'm not really familiar with motorcycle dealership pricing but I know car dealerships put up prices way higher than they expect to get for vehicles. I assume it's the same here and these guys will likely be willing to haggle down quite a bit?

I've had both a '77 Yamaha xs360 and a '71 Honda cb750 in the past, so it wouldn't be my first bike or anything.

Those bikes aren't available in Cali yet so I don't have any idea on what used pricing on one would be. I'd figure around 5k, maybe mid 5k depending on condition, honestly. They probably paid under 4 for it as a trade in. And you should be able to haggle them down, hard.

The versys has the rep ofbeing a great all arounder, and it uses the ninja 650 parallel twin, so it's not a monster powerwise, just a great daily driver in what I consider to be the best HP/engine size range (60-75 hp in a 650cc twin).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AKMOTOGP posted:

I'm puzzled by the <100hp for a first bike rule that people are preaching.

Take your MSF course and be responsible.

A good first bike shouldn't be some 500 dollar heap off craigslist.

Spend $2k+ and get something reliable and safe.

(I had a 1993 Katana 750 for my first bike and it was perfect)

750 katana makes a little over 80hp at the rear wheel, and weighs enough that it doesn't want to wheelie too bad.

Add 25% more HP, drop almost 150 pounds off of it, and that's your typical modern 600.

A responsible, adult rider shouldn't have too many problems on a Kat 750. Most of the people who are buying bikes are not responsible, adult riders, thusly the 80hp limit on bikes.

Quick Draw posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info. $500 is doable and I will be ordering some parts and picking up some tools tomorrow. The charging system was checked as well and is working fine.

Good. The rest of it is honestly pretty minor stuff that's really not gonna be that bad. Start a thread about fixing your bike if you need help with individual things.

quote:

I don't remember trying this but when I would first start the bike, choke had to be on and it would need some gas right away to keep it from dieing. Can't test it out right now because the gas tank and fairings are off.

Thanks again for the help.

Carbs are slightly clogged. Seafoam in the gas may help, cleaning them will help.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

trebuchet_tom posted:

Thanks, this is really exactly what I was hoping to hear!

One more question: what's the general consensus on the v-strom 650? I know it's billed as a dual sport while the versys is under the "sport" heading, but they look quite similar in terms of power and riding position. Do they handle significantly differently or anything? I ask because there's an '05 v-strom not too far down the road with 1K miles on it.

I love those bikes. The SV 650 engine used is my favorite street engine, with enough power to be engaging and quick, but not so much that you can't run it out and have some fun playing closer to the rev limiter.

It's not a real dual sport. It's got long travel suspension, but not long enough to make it really capable offroad, it's got bigger tires, but they're street tires...it'll handle stuff like unpaved fire roads just fine, but don't count on it being easy to handle up in the nasty stuff.

If I weren't rebuilding a SV, that would be at the top of the list for bikes to be looking for.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

8ender posted:

I was going to say that maybe the previous owner tried it out and decided bikes weren't their thing but its an 05' which makes it even weirder. Its like someone bought it and immediately put it into a garage.

He bought it, was terrified, lived through 1k miles of assorted weekend jaunts and trips to the gas station and back, and eventually parked it and forgot about it. That's usually the story that ends up coming out. Or, conversely, their first big close call came up at 1k miles and they hung it up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

trebuchet_tom posted:

Thanks for all your input guys, it's been very helpful. After going out yesterday and sitting on several bikes and test riding two, it looks like I'm going to join the horde of sv650 riders on Saturday with an '03 with 13k on it.

From what I remember from earlier discussion, around $3k or perhaps a bit less is the ballpark I should be looking to pay for something like that?

Correct. Little less if it's been down and isn't in great shape, and a little more if it's perfect and there's good maintenence records.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NumptyScrub posted:

What I've been looking at already:
  • Kawasaki ZZR-1100/ZZR-600: both are around in budget, and I already know I like the 600. I know I don't need the 1100 and another 600 would work just as well, but sane doesn't always = sensible :/
  • Honda VFR800: the V4 sounds awesome and I have a friendly Honda dealer near me that's been keeping the CB on the road doing the bits that I can't. There are a couple around for the right price.
  • Honda VTR1000: I know someone selling a tidy one for a shade over budget, although I'm well aware I'd need to take it easy while I get used to the extra torque available. I've only ridden heavy I4s at this point.
  • Suzuki SV1000S/SV650S: there aren't any 1000s around in budget but there are a few 650s. If the SV650S is as capable as the ZZR-600 it'll do me fine.
  • BMW F650ST/F800ST: the occasional one crops up within budget, but I can't seem to shake the preconception that they'll be no fun. I should probably go see a dealer about a test ride
I know there are probably several more tourers / sports tourers I'm missing from that list, so what other models do you guys recommend I should look out for, and which should I steer clear of, whether for mechanical reasons or me being too novice a rider? It'll end up being my daily rider for commuting as well as a weekend toy, which is why I've been focusing on the sports tourer end of the market.

Out of all of those, I'd take the VTR. Just be aware that it'll suck down gas if you get on it (50mm carbs!) and you should have the euro version with the expanded tank. It'll run with the boys up to speed and then some, and pull wheelies for days, if that's your thing. Big twins are loads of fun.

Second choice would be a second ZZR600 or a SV650. The SV will do better on the corners (although the E is an amazingly stable platform) and the ZZR is a great all arounder. Budget a bit for upgrading the weedy stock front suspension on an SV. Have the same problem with the ZZR though.

I'm not a huge fan of the hondas, although they're good bikes.

I'd try and find a B12 in your area and take a spin on that, if you want the original hypertouring bike, there it is.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrKatharsis posted:

Triumphs are not as expensive as everyone says. The new ones are priced completely on par with Japanese cruisers and sportbikes. They are also a lot more reliable than any Royal Enfield you will find, even fresh out of the factory.

I was gonna say. I think the best bet may be a new Bonnie or Scrambler.

http://www.eurosports.net/custompage3.asp?pg=eurocafe

Triumph Scrambler Evo. Your choice is clear, you must do what you must do. Besides, if Cathcart liked it, then...well, that pretty much says it all.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 17, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

UFS207 posted:

Skimmed through this thread and didn't see it mentioned...sorry if I missed it:

What is the general AI (CA?) consensus on the ZRX1200? I remember casually looking at them a couple years back and people were still asking top dollar for the 99 and 2000 model ZRX1100's. In my searches for a decent used SV650, katana 750 or maybe even a nighthawk 750 I keep running across very nice, low mileage ZRX examples in the $3-3.5K range. Seems like a whole lot of bike for the money and the older reviews I dig up seem to generally praise the bike overall for it's price point and intended purpose. I'm really open to anything decently sporty and reliable that isn't a full-on race replica in the sub $4K range.

Do think these bikes would make for a good daily rider? How about as a long distance tourer? With 120 hp and 80-odd ft-lbs at the crank I'd think it'd feel pretty relaxed on the highway, or at least a sprocket change away from it. Motor should be pretty durable too since from what I gathered it's basically a detuned ZX12 mill. Supposedly they even handle alright, or at least worlds better than any past UJM that they are styled after. After several years on an old CB750 I'm sure I'd be impressed regardless.

Any 1st or 2nd hand experiences with them would be helpful.

My experience with them is...they're great. The 1200 apparently a bit better, but the 1100 is a very capable bike...little on the heavy side, but nothing a skilled rider can't overcome, and boats of power, plus an upright seating position and comfort. A great all arounder. It'd be high on my list if I had to have a one bike garage. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

8ender posted:

There is always the RD350, a sprightly utilitarian two stroke made by Yamaha in the 70's. They weight next to nothing and have a stupid amount of power for their size.

Absurdly fun, but remember that you'll get more maintenence, although it'll be simpler. There's still a big following for those bikes, so parts aren't impossiblet to come by.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nah, that's alright. You did get ripped, but you've come to terms with that, so moving on:

That bike was made for 17 years, so there should be plenty of spares. I don't know anything about reliability, but most bikes, if well cared for, should go the distance. 55hp, 35 foot pounds of torque, it's a good starter.

Welcome to the fold, spend your time while it's snowing to find some decent gear. The longer you expect to be on the road at a given time, the more important getting good gear is.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

In my long habit of over-paying for just about everything, I also managed to spend a good chunk of money on a Nolan N-102 helmet. When I told my brother (who's been riding scooters for many years) how much it had cost me, his reaction was "You spent THAT MUCH on just a HELMET?!". To which I replied " . . . it's got Bluetooth."

He accused me of being a nerd. I agreed.

:sigh:

Stop overpaying for poo poo. You'll be better off in the long run, and you're not going to be happy if that helmet ever hits the ground. Plus that'll leave you additional money for things like heated gear/grips (which are essential if you ever want to ride in the cold), waterproof gear, etc. etc. Start shopping around rather then spending a crapload of money at one place.

Bikes don't "just get squirrely". You'll learn this after some riding at the MSF, but bikes, unless there is a mechanical problem, are inherently more stable at speed. The issue with a new rider is almost always low speed stuff, or running wide in a corner.

And Nero, the buell blast may be small, but it's not that small.

Need some pictures of the bike, and you should take this downtime to cover the basics on maintenence and make sure the bike is in decent shape.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

and your height or weight will have virtually nothing to do with this. it only matters when you have to pick it back up after falling over. controlling the bike so that you don't lose traction while at speed has to do with knowledge and skill and not your body size.

Err, yeah, I should have made that point more clear. Thanks :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Well I don't give a drat about nicks, dings and scratches as long as it stops my brain from being not inside my head anymore (lawl grammar). Truthfully, I did do a good bit of reading/research on helmets before I got it, and it was just one that had all the features I wanted and fit my head well, and I liked the visibility it had. I think what drove me into the WTF price range was the insistence on Bluetooth.

What I'm most worried about is the basics of moving the bike around, like idling around in parking lots, or pulling out into traffic, etc. Or running over something that I didn't see/anticipate, like an unforeseen pothole/branch/loose debris/whatever.

Pic:

Just do the MSF, they'll have a bike that'll fit you there. There were a couple of full size dual sports that they had at my MSF classes in case of tall people.

On the picture front, if the owner maintained it as religiously as it's been cleaned, you should be fine. :D Also :laffo: at the second set of mirrors.

Check the date codes on the tires, too...if they're over 5 years old replace them, no matter how much tread they have left.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/tires.php

There's some instructions on tires :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Those aren't mirrors, they're speakers. And they're going AWAY.

. . . Cuz I'm stupid? And it's with the intention of music, not phone. But yeah, it's mostly because I'm a dumb nerd who is all "Oooooo, moar tech = BETTER!". This lining in this thing is removable, it was something else that I really wanted that drove me from the $100 helmets into the $300 helmets.

Holy poo poo, I thought the texture from the speaker was some sort of weird reflection. :v:

That's even better. :xd:

The problem with bluetooth in helmets is that the better solution is some decent in ear headphones like the Etymotic ER6is. Even if the speakers press right up against your ears, you're still trying to overcome both the wind noise, bike noise, and then layering your music on top of that. And if you are plugging in a set of in-ear headphones, you may as well just drop your ipod or whatever in your jacket, and play your tunes that way, rather than having to cord yourself to the bike to keep the bluetooth device powered up on long trips, and you do away with carrying any sort of batteries as well. Plus not having anything additional in your helmet makes it lighter, which is nice too.

I'm not saying that helmets aren't worth spending money on, i've got a 500$ Suomy that I use for everything from track to commute, but fit is the most important thing. Nothing's more miserable then spending a bunch of money on a helmet only to discover that after 30 minutes it gives you a hideous headache.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hell yeah. The CB200 that me and my friends use as a learner bike is bulletproof, engine's still going after my friend pulled it out of a dumpster. It's a great around towner, and I'd be tempted to pick up that 350...I want to build a scrambler when I'm done building my SV. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

8ender posted:

I just looked it up and realized the 1200cc Sportster engine only puts out 70hp. How can an engine so big put out so little power :psyduck:

For comparison my 1977 650cc Kawasaki is rated for 64hp.

Air cooled, narrow angle.

Also, the hilarious thing is how they're geared and because of the way they make power (harleys tend to fall on their faces after about 60% of the rev range), a ninja 250 will outpull one at over 70mph. When I was a wee nub on my 250, I had a great time walking all over a sportster on the freeway. He was PISSED. I laughed my rear end off.

As I've said before: Harley Davidson, converting all of that gasoline to noise without the pesky side effect of horsepower. They're still fun though :xd:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

wormil posted:

What is a comfortable bike for medium rides, 8+ hours? For years I rode a sport bike every day until it was stolen but it sucked for more than a couple of hours. My wife owned a Nighthawk 750 that was comfortable but underpowered. I'm older now and would probably look silly on a sportbike plus I want something comfortable that I can spend a day riding and not need a day of recovery. It'll have to be used and not too expensive so Ducatis, Harleys, BMWs, stuff like that are out. I've been itching for a KLR650 but I don't think it would be practical for day long rides.

What's your price range, and what sort of riding would you do (road, highway, twisties, fire trails?) I rode a kawasaki ZX-6E for 2 years, and it was a fantastic all arounder, probably the best one i've ever ridden. Dump a small amount of money into suspension upgrades and it'll hang with the 600s in the twisties with a decent rider. Plus it's comfortable for a passenger and has a lot of practical features, like a centerstand. Bike was made from 93 to 04, so there's loads of them out there and a nice example can be had for under 3k.

Edit: Made from 93-04 in the US, 93-05 internationally.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 28, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

wormil posted:

Hmm, what about vibration? I used to wear padded gloves on trips with Katana and my hands would still go numb after a few hours. Is the 6E more of a tourer or more of a sportbike? It seems like everything looks like a sportbike these days.

It's not that bad. Vibration is sort of one of those things thats a personal comfort thing though. I haven't ridden a bike that makes my hands go numb, so I don't know if I'm the best person to ask. The engine is nice and smooth though. It cruises at around 6.5k rpm at 75, iirc, and you could toy with the gearing slightly or fill the clipons with sand to reduce vibration in the bars.

Vstroms have a huge following. If I could find one for cheap (just missed out on one earlier this year), I'd probably be riding the poo poo out of one.

The ZX-6E is a true "sport touring" bike. It's almost exactly a 50/50 split. Mine went to the track, from san diego to san francisco, up twisties, everywhere. It's a great all arounder.

Honestly, you're going to be best off taking our suggestions and going and riding as many of them as you can get your hands on. We can describe different bikes, but you're only going to know if you want to spend hours on a bike if you've ridden one for a bit.

I have a soft spot for the BMW R1100/1150S as well. Comfort, sport, awesome wind protection, the boxer motor is entertaining and very smooth at freeway speeds, although a bit of a shaker at idle. They can be found for not too much money, used.

Same with the VFR, although I dislike the difficulty of maintenence on the v-tec models.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go ride a KLR (or better yet, a street legal KLX if you can find one), a VFR, a ZX-6E, and a Vstrom. That'll give you the complete range of bikes and each displacement variation/engine config.

Comedy option: Triumph tiger.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

wormil posted:

Because of the price? Reading a few reviews it looks like a drat nice bike but I've always had a soft spot for Triumphs.

Nah, just because it's got a little more overhead and would be harder to find. What is your price range? That'd make things a bit easier.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

wormil posted:

Good info thanks. The fly and ride idea is interesting.

What about repairs and maintenance on the Tigers... will it eat me alive in costs?

edit: stopped by a dealership and looked over/sat on a v-strom and a fz1, loved the v-strom; didn't care for the fz1. What about the c50 or c90? Seems like a comfortable bike.

Valve adjustments cannot be pushed on the T595 motor...you could probably get one of the newer ones for a reasonable price, though, and maintenence isn't as bad on those.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

xREED LORD 420x posted:

Yeah, I understand that part but when you say that "500's fine with 64hp specified by Honda, although on the high side" are you just saying that the bike is a little too powerful for a first time rider?

I think what she's refering to is the 2 differnet displacement models?

I'd say that even the 750 is probably ok..it's a cruiser, so it's not going to wheelie or pull anything really stupid on you. But it's something to be aware of if you're the sort who's given to a lot of speed :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

kdc67 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Magna#.22Specifications.22

It is a cruiser, but it isn't. I'd say it's like Suzuki's GS L series. It is pretty. It might be ok, but don't be fooled into thinking it's like every other cruiser. Its dry weight is only 482.7 lbs. That's not really a number that's going to bog down the hp much.

Wheelbase is 60 inches, which is 4.5 inches longer than an SV, with much more relaxed steering geometry, seating position, weight weight is going to be 550 poundish, and the V4 isn't going to have a particularly harsh power delivery. Is it going to be quick? Yes, but it's still gonna be slower than, say, an SV. An SV is on the boarderline for an appropriate starter. The magna is slower, with a more relaxed seating position, more forgiving geometry, and all around will be a much more relaxed, managable bike. Just because it's listed at 80.3hp doesn't mean it's a bad starter bike. Plus I bet that over the last 25 years it's lost at least 10 hp. :v:

There's more to it than just the raw numbers. Again, as I said before, if you're given to excessive amounts of speed, probably not the best bike to look at, but if you're capable of keeping yourself in check, then it's not a bad starter.

Also, a dry weight of 483 pounds is very heavy by modern standards. Ninja 250 is 300ish, SV is 364, modern SS is 380. 25 year old 80 HP motor pushing probably 550 pounds wet is going to be quick but not out of the range of feasable for a new rider.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 11, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

Okay I might have actually found a bike I will buy.

1982 suzuki GS400 - $300

He wants $300, but I might offer him $250 and see if he bites. I'm a little weery on the "loose ignition" but I figure it can't be that bad if it runs. Tires are a given, and batteries are cheap.

Thing is, I looked it up and it has 27hp. It only weighs 400 pounds though, but will the low power be an issue for highway riding?

Edit: Pictures!

http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/GS400.shtml

27hp looks like the # for the restricted version. Either way, you should be fine at freeway speeds on that. It's not gonna be fast, but it'll be capable.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Christoff posted:

I have an obsession with the repsol CBR 1000 limited edition. I'm on a 600 right now but am thinking about upgrading in about 4-5 months. With a total riding time of about 6-8 months. Bad idea? I don't know much about CBRs at all. If not that then it'll be an older super sport bike.

Yes, a bad idea. A general rule of thumb should be get around 20k of riding on your 600 before you move to a literbike.

You can move up earlier than that, for example, I moved from my 250 to my 600 after about 10k, but I severely hampered my learning curve as a rider as a result, and didn't realize it until much, much later.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

I'd love to have a try at a modernised (suspension and brake-wise) RG500 on a track. I'm pretty sure I would either scare myself witless, or die laughing. Possibly both.

It would be death. Good god, that loving power spike would just...kill.

Christoff's ZX-6E will put down around 88hp at the rear wheel. It's plenty quick.

A new 600 will have about 15% more HP, have more sensative handling, etc.

A liter bike will make 2.1 times the power of the E while still being much lighter.

A 750 actually feels a lot like a 600, but is more forgiving about being out of the upper rev range. A literbike is just a beast, no need to rev for power (why people love them on teh street). They're monster, monster fast. 100+mph in first gear monster fast, and they're geared that high so noobs don't kill themselves on launch.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

As someone who only rode street, never dirt or anything else, I upgraded long before I was comfortable with any of those things.

I learned to stoppie on the 929 (6th bike), I learned to wheelie on the (7th/8th bikes) Speed triple/XR500, and only in the last year am I really comfortable with sliding the rear on the track SV.

As Nero says, it's really about you. If you're a responsible rider, then you can ride just about anything after you've established some basic skills on a motorcycle. Riding a more powerful bike will slow your progression as a rider, as you pretty much learn by pushing the limits and the limits are much more accessable at much more sane speeds on a less capable bike. However, most people don't want to go racing, so that's really not a concern, as you can be a perfectly safe rider who gets just as much enjoyment out of your bike without ever cranking the thing over so far that you're dragging hard parts, or ripping mile long wheelies or stoppies at 120mph.

So...my advice is: Ride something managable until you feel really comfortable on it, like it's your bike with no suprises, and then, look at yourself, decide if you're responsible, and upgrade to whatever the hell you want. I don't own a big bike because I'm not responsible enough on the street. Poor impulse control. :xd:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Buy the Bonneville. It will break down a lot but your bike will be so god drat cool you won't care that you spend as much time fixing it as riding it. You should also probably take up smoking and do it while riding to be extra awesome.

I'd say buy the CB for exactly the reasons that pr0zac said you should buy the Triumph...gotta have something to work your way up to. :v:

Especially if you're concerned about maintenence. Triumphs love to be fiddled with every one in awhile, and if you're not willing to do that, probably best to stay away. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Iniquitous posted:

Good points. My concern with maintenance isn't the time involved, it's more the fact that I haven't done it before and I'm not sure how difficult it would be to source parts for either of the bikes should something break. But given that the Honda was recently overhauled, I guess that answers the second of my maintenance-related concerns. Thanks for the pointers, guys.

It's not going to be hidiously difficult to do either maintenence or find parts, but let me tell you, owning a triumph is something best done as a more experienced rider...the sort who laughs when your bike leans out and uses the choke to limp it home, and then you go about setting your float heights with a micrometer to avoid any such problems in the future only to learn that your float bowls no longer seal and you now have a puddle of gas on your floor.

loving triumphs. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Iniquitous posted:

Argh, someone beat me to the Honda. But the same guy is selling a 2000 Kawasaki W650 with a custom paint job for $4k. He hasn't posted the CL ad yet, but I'll link it when he does. Too expensive? Too much bike?

Eh, sounds a bit on the high end pricewise, but the W650 is basically a old british twin that works. Not too much bike.

DiZ, those triumphs are great bikes, I've just cruised a small bit on one and it was fantastic. They're really tall bikes, so be aware of that, and of course all of the things that usually come up with a supersport apply. Make sure that you keep the oil topped off as some of the earlier models had issues burning oil. Not sure if that was resolved or if they just burn a bit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

*shrug* Some people will tell you you'll be a better rider if you stay on a smaller bike for longer. Though this is probably true you've gotta ask if being a better rider is your real goal or if you just ride for fun and would rather have a cool looking fast bike than shave seconds off your lap times. You should also really try riding an SS to see if its what you want. I bought a new CBR600RR after a year and a half and 15,000 miles on a GS500 and didn't kill myself, but it ended up not being the right bike for me. Wasted a bunch of money to figure that out when I should have just borrowed a friend's bike for the weekend instead.

The "supersport not being as fun to ride as it looks" is a big reason that people should go for extended test rides or borrow bikes before buying one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Iniquitous posted:

Yeah, he's asking $4k. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/mcy/1046897371.html

That's a very nice bike. He's still asking too much, but if you like it, I'd show up with 3.5k in hand and see if he'll come down to upper KBB. He sounds like the sort of owner you want to buy a bike from, compulsive about maintenence and stuff (2 valve checks and moving them to spec just because). I bet if you go and talk to him about it, you'll end up chatting for an hour about bikes.

pr0zac, triumph typically does offer test rides. Back when I was a newer rider, I walked into a Triumph dealership and they wanted me to test ride a Daytona 650 so badly...I'd been riding for like, 5 months. I was astounded.

I too lust after a Street 3 R as well. My g/f does too...although her Z1000 is a decent holdover.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Iniquitous posted:

Heh, yeah, I actually met him over the weekend when I was looking at the Honda (saw this one at the same time). He clearly loves his bikes, and he's moving on to a Moto Guzzi. He said he'd entertain anything about $3800 because he's not a motivated seller (I emailed him about it). All in all I'm very tempted, but I'll have to put turn signals back on it and I'd remove the windscreen. Since it's an '01, KBB value is actually $3775 so he's in the right area. It's a beautiful bike, though.

As a first bike, I'd be careful buying something that's so cosmetically perfect...nothing would be worse than hating yourself because you dinged up an awesome paintjob.

Turn signals and windshield would be easy to fit/fix.

It'd be a good starter bike and all, I'd just be concerned about the cosmetics of it. If you don't think that'll really bother you and the bike puts a smile on your face, then go for it :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeeessssss come to the dark side. Putting in my FCR carb tonight. Assuming all goes well I should hopefully be in jail by this time tomorrow.

Also if you are trying to drag knee on a supermotard you're doing it wrong. (My friend Matt "taking care of my DRZ while I move")

Nicky Hayden says otherwise.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Ugh are there any SS bikes that are comfortable? Reviews were making it look like is the supersport for the street. I'll probably end up getting a DRZ anyways. That much fun for close to 3 grand used is a drat good deal, regardless of what ends up getting dragged.

Comfort is a really, really subjective thing. I have a friend who rode from the middle of washington state to laguna seca on his without an issue, and I have another friend who did 400 mile days on an RC51...I know people who do hundreds of miles of freeway on duc 999s....

Try and find one and give it a shot before you decide it's not for you.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Aww, I can't remember who makes them, but they're customs based off of a harley engine. The distinctive thing is the flowerpot style, side mount air filter buisness.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

blugu64 posted:

S&S?

Nah, full custom bikes. I read an article about it years ago, it's some crazy harley based custom. Not any of the big names, (Confederate, RS, Roehr, etc) but some sort of one off, more performance oriented harley custom builder. Kinda an oxymoron, but when you're rich, I suppose it really doesn't matter.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 25, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

There are options for different bars and clipons on supersport bikes as well...

Spiegler/LSL makes handlebar kits.

Convertibars and Helibars make lifted clipons as well.

So there are options available if you want to make a supersport more comfortable.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

UFS207 posted:

Found a KILLER deal on a 2006 Kawasaki Z750S. What's a Z750S you may ask? I didn't know either until I saw the ad on craigslist and did the research. It's basically a Z1000 lite. The engine is literally a sleeved version of the 1000 so it should be pretty under-stressed; same bottom end...even the stroke is identical. Bike flopped hard here in the US sales-wise (only imported for model years '05 and '06) but is pretty popular across the pond.

Really sweet specs for a budget bike including a 430lbs dry weight, 100 honest hp at the rear wheel, 6 spd gearbox and fuel injection. Compares very favorably to a late model SV650 or FZ6, both of which I was on look-out for. MSRP was around $7200 new. If you are in the market and one of these bikes pops up for sale check it out.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

I picked it up about a week ago. Has some minor tip-over damage but the price reflected that. Guy was originally asking a little over $4K for it a couple months ago and kept re-listing it in -$200 increments but I got it for waaaay less than that. Only has 5K miles on it. Cash talks!

This is my 1st modern street bike. It's simply amazing how far things have come, even with the lower-class modern bikes. I just can't get over how quiet and smooth it is. My last bike was a 1980 CB750K. Great bike, but it got really needy the last couple years I owned it. Horrible electrical problems and finding parts for it was getting to be a real PITA. I replaced pretty much everything related to the charging/ignition system at least once in the 7 years I owned the bike. I got it running nicely one final time back before Christmas and ended up giving it away for $900, I had more than that in it over the last 2 years I owned it.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Anyways, good luck to the rest of you out looking for a bike.

How much did you pay for the Z750? Looks like a lot of fun...I know I adore my g/f's Z1000.

First mod should be a Z1000 engine. Sleeper! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Trintintin posted:

Once I fix the clutch on my ex500, I'm planning on selling it. How dumb of an idea would it be to buy this? http://savannah.craigslist.org/mcy/1053042766.html

I can only assume the maintenance would be absurd, but I don't really know. It's pretty much a street legal CRF 450 with a supermoto kit, and I've been eyeing up supermotos a whole bunch lately. I know the 450 dirt bikes are supposed to be stupidly quick and light, but it seems like a half decent deal if I can come up with the money for it.

Oh god, what a good deal. (That'd be like, 4-5k out here in CA thanks to it being inmpossible to street register dirt bikes. )

Nero is right on maintenence, and I'd bet it needs a rebuild, but it only needs work every couple of hours if it's being raced. If you're riding it more sedately, then maintenence intervals can probably be stretched quite a bit once you've got a handle on the specs and how quickly things are going to wear.

Only worth buying if you're already a mechanic and ready to work on your bike regularly.