Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

440 2-stroke? Good loving night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That bike has alot going against it. Its high mileage, its been repainted, its got oddball 16 inch wheels, its got a horribly gaudy anime tank guard, which the owner thought was cool enough to include in the listing.

Dont pay over a grand for it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Probably a scam

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The CAD and USD are fairly similar right now are they not? (fake edit: internet says yes, within a penny)

I paid $3100 for my 2000 Bandit 1200 in 2008, so it was actually a year newer at the time of purchase as yours is now, and had 14K miles (22K KM). Not being super familiar with the Canadian bike market, I would say it might be a tad high on the price.

I wouldnt pay that amount in the states. I'd shoot for more like $2,500 here. Since you say 3300 strikes you as reasonable though, I may be misreading your market.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

PaintVagrant posted:

gs500f, is it a decent beginner bike? Low seat is appealing as I am 5'6". I assume ninja 500r is a similar bike?~40 hp sounds good.

This should tell you all you need to know: http://youtu.be/jaOBzTJB7yc

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

darth cookie posted:

Holy poo poo :words:

Sv650 is very needs suiting. V-twin, can be had in naked form, light, great power spread, Japanese, reliable, huuuuge aftermarket, etc etc etc

It's the official goon bike for a reason

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 11, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When I see people riding in a full tuck on the freeway, I make it a point to pass them while sitting as bolt upright as possible.

Seriously, unless your freeway ride is 150mph there is no reason to be in a full tuck on any bike. Man up

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The 90's may not have been the best time for everything, but they were the best time for paint jobs.

By far my favorite 90's paint job , carried over to a 2000's bike:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 12, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:fap: to this day, I would kill a man, in front of his own mother for an Alstare gsxr

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dooooo iiiiit. If you liked the motor in your vtr but wished the power could be had at legal speeds, the sv will scratch that itch, while still allowing you to break the law if you so choose.

Lots of power from idle to redline, it's not limited to just top end power

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Is there anything with the Street/Speed triple to watch out for?

Watch out for damage to your retinas

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dreggory posted:

After 3 months of giving the sv650 a solid try I'm ready to get back on a proper, screaming inline 4. As much as I wanted to love it the V-twin is just not my cup of tea.

I'm keeping my eye out for a cbr600f3/4/4i (had one previously and loved the hell out of it) but I'm curious what else I might could cross-shop.

Things I liked about the cbr: sporty middleweight with the handling and guts to really toss around, but relaxed enough ergonomically to handle some touring duty and general everyday use.

:raise: this is the opposite direction most go in, instead finding the i4 boring and the twin full of character. Congrats I guess?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SquadronROE posted:

What do you do with them, they look a little small to be a trail bike? Are they hard to get parts for?

If you can't immediately think of a billion things to do with a tiny motorcycle then I don't know what to tell you :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The vacuum is introduced as a function of the piston going down with the intake valves open, thereby drawing in air.

With the butterfly valves (valves sitting in the intake tract that open and close to block air flow) closed, both in a fuel injected bike and on a carbureted bike, measuring the vacuum between the engine and the butterfly valve is a great way to tell if all of the butterflies are set to open at the same time and sit at the same position at idle.

Extrapolating this out to wacky proportions, imagine if on your bike, as you opened the throttle half way, only the carb or throttle body on one cylinder opened, and the others only began to open after 50% throttle. This disparity between one cylinder and the others would cause one cylinder to be pulling at 50% throttle while the others are at idle, making next to no power.

This of course would lead to power issues, along with issues with smoothness, efficiency, heat dissipation and wear. If you shrink this back down to realistic proportions it mostly means efficiency and smooth idle problems, along with stalling issues.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Renaissance Robot posted:

Thanks for the answers all, that explains a lot. :)

I am sort of curious how the valves even get desynched in the first place/why they're not locked together; is it because carbs come as individual per-cylinder units that are bolted together, and bits just slip over time?

Because even if the throttle bodies and valves are perfectly locked together, differences in how the engine wears, filtration weirdness, manufacturing differences in boot thickness, length/etc, tiny air leaks and other things can lead to different cylinders being unable to pull exactly the same vacuum as others.

Remember, when you sync carbs or throttle bodies, you are not trying to make the butterflies the same, you're trying to make the vacuum the same, although modern manufacturing accuracy generally means that doing the latter naturally results in the former.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That's normal for fuel injected bikes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DR650's are a bulletproof bike that can easily inhale highway miles, as well as hit the trails and go offroading. Enough power to do whatever. Good at everything, perfect at nothing. See also: Honda XR650L, another bike that sells for more than its specs say it should and is insanely reliable.

They are really REALLY good bikes, like "take them around the world on the same change of oil" type of bikes. There is a reason they hold their value and a reason that the only time they sell for cheap is if theyve been crashed beyond belief or been involved in a garage fire or something crazy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

^^^^^dont discount the Klr, I'm betting you'll like it

The dr is not very comparable to the Drz, much in the same way that the Klr and the Drz are not very comparable

Different bikes for different purposes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nice! DR supremacy.

Those have the 3 piece swing arm like the 350's I think. This is normally not anything to think about, but people put spacers in them to run crazy wide wheels, so look for that. RM wheels are a common mod on the 350's, not sure about the 250's.

The spacers themselves are not necessarily bad, it's the usual caveat that the average joe will probably gently caress up the install of any aftermarket part.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kommando posted:

Moving interstate in Australia, I have a 98 Kawasaki ER5, it'll cost about $700 to freight it there and im thinking its better to sell it and buy another.

I'm moving to Canberra so its not going to need the highway legs unless I ride to sydney.

Has anyone had any experience or anything to say about Braaap bikes?

Can we just change the thread title to "Unless it's a major name in the automotive and bike world, assume it's garbage from China"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mungtor posted:

No, something sporty but not tiny.

B-King!!!!!!!!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Linedance posted:

Fuel injection. When the hordes of undead are clawing at your garage door, do you want to be sitting at a work bench fiddling with tiny o-rings and pilot needles shouting "just a minute!", or just press the starter and go?

Lmao if your carbed bikes don't start as reliably as fuel injected bikes all the time

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Linedance posted:

Haven't owned a carbed bike in nearly a decade. Who's lmaoing now? :smuggo:

Its me

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As Nero Danced posted:

This might be a question for the Harley thread instead, but does anyone on SA own or have seat time on an XR1200? I saw one on the highway this morning and holy crap does it look cool.

I personally don't, but the general consensus seems to be that the looks are the best part

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

Beginner-friendly bikes they stopped making tend to demand a premium. The bright spot on the horizon is that Suzuki, in their never-ending quest to maintain a more boring lineup than Honda, is releasing the SV650... again. So the used prices for older ones should take a hit.

Don't be salty just because Suzuki cornered the "do it all sporty v-twin" market better than Buell was able to.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They'll probably push down the price of the 2nd gen ones a bit once it becomes known how much better they actually are, vs the power increases and whatnot that are listed on paper.

Just like the fuel injected ones killed the carbureted versions prices.

After this new one comes out, carbed SV's are going to be like the single biggest bang for the buck used bike out there

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

someone sat down and made a decision that they wanted to make it look like the tank came from another bike. Ditto the head- and tail-lights, which are too small and too big for the areas they're mounted respectively. Again these are new parts, why are they designed to look like they've been bought off eBay?

Reminder that there are many posters here who like the looks of the street triple, which is the epitome of "oops, the maintenance crew in the warehouse accidentally ordered 50,000 forklift spotlights, what are we gonna do now"?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Only the squinty second gens.

Both generations are some of the ugliest bikes in production, but the newer ones are closer to being OK looking

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does she ride a grom and make it look full sized?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buy a used turbo busa on the cheap and set the extra money aside for skin grafts

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Linedance posted:

definitely sign up for a firearms handling and safety course with your local gun club first.

gently caress YOU DAD

*slams door and cranks up linkin park tape*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Plus, you want the bandit anyway

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gorson posted:

With 100 miles on the odo, those are almost certainly the original tires and someone decided to armor all them "back to new". He might as well have smeared bacon grease on them, that thing is going to kill someone.

Not here in Harley-land:

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcd/5568065626.html

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcd/5556060319.html

I'm too lazy to screenshot them but they are both brand new 2014's with 0 miles on the odo for less than $7k.

Sup fellow MKE goon :hfive:

Those are some drat good prices for 0 mile VFR's, a low mileage one has to be dirt cheap!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The new fuel injected Bandit 1250's are sweet, and even more so in naked form.

They also make insane torque, much like the old 1200's did, except even more now.

Also the 1250's aren't air cooled, they're liquid cooled now

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VERTiG0 posted:

There are a billion farkled-out V-Strom 650s and 1000s out there with higher mileage (30,000km+) out there for pretty low prices. Anything to watch out for or certain years to stick to/avoid with these things?

It's essentially a tall sv650 or 1000, so they should be pretty bulletproof. Lots of SV's don't live easy lives and they live forever

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Is this too much bike for someone who has zero dirt riding experience? I want a two-stroke but I'm also thinking something more relaxed and tractable would be a better first choice. But it's a two-stroke and the price is right.

My main concern with an ancient husky is that you'd never get parts, or they will be astronomically expensive.

Also, starting on a 250 2-stroke will have some surprises in store. I wouldn't count on it being relaxed or tractable, it will need to be revved into its powerband to make power and once it's there, it will try to pull your arms out of the sockets. So no, relaxed is not how I would describe a 2-stroke 250 mx bike from any manufacturer.

That being said if you're going to ride DUNEZ or wide open spaces, it's not as bad. What you don't want is that powerband kicking in at an in opportune time in tight single track and pitching you into the trees.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

Still good. I rode a 2t 125 KTM on trailz and the suspension was like magic. Like, point bike there, open throttle, bike go there.

I think the shittiness scales more with age.

Yeah shiftiness definitely scales with age. Any actual mx bike in one of the standard displacement classes will have top shelf stuff. It's just that new top shelf stuff is better than the old stuff

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah the 2t will definitely be the better bike, as 4t mx bikes didnt really exist back then like they do now

I guess what i was saying is that the older full on mx bike womt be as nice as a new one, but the 125's and the 250's should be similaly specced

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would not trust a Chinese electric bike to not burn your house down after the hover board debacle

And yes, as mentioned I do have an older (87) elite 250 and it's really fun as well as being a decent cargo hauler and freeway capable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

cheap poo poo knockoffs that themselves used cheap poo poo knockoffs of batteries that weren't even that well-suited to the task if they were genuine.

This nearly perfectly describes a Chinese electric vehicle