Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002
Hey Cycle Asylum, I'm taking the MSF class this weekend and want/need to get a bike shortly thereafter. Looking at this as an option for my first bike:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/894155252.html

Sure it's a 600 but the price is spot on for a "starter" bike and if I'm going to be moving up to this size anyway I think it'd be fine to learn on. Or, can you please comment on the price itself, never mind if it's a good beginner bike or not please. thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

600cc i4 sport bike. most people here are gonna tell you no.
edit: 100hp. that's a lot.

Yeah like I said I know most people would say a 600cc is not a beginner bike, but for the price it's hard to pass up, considering a lot of beginner bikes could be had for more.

MrKatharsis posted:

If you get that bike, I promise you will absolutely love it.

Cool, how so? Do you have one? Anything I should be looking out for? From what I've read this bike put Honda on the sportbike map.

Other things, is the mileage just too much for a bike? Because of how old it is (94) will I run into needing to replace a ton of parts?

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002

Simkin posted:

Wormy Guy: You're the exact same way that every other goddamn newbie getting into this is...

kdc67 posted:

Wormy Guy, read the first post. 70 is the high end of bikes recommended for beginners....

Thanks guys, I need to hear that. I of course read the wiki over and over but the newbie in me wants the coolest looking bike right away (R6, CBR, Gixxer, etc). I thought I was at least doing a good job in not getting something really nice and expensive at first by wanting this '94 CBR. I do realize I won't need all that horsepower, but the mature person in me says "I'll learn to control it."

The Wiki is down now but I know that there are things like Bandits, SV650's, Ninja's etc in there. I'll keep looking around for more beginner sport bike and come back to you guys.

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002

Simkin posted:

Thanks for hearing us out. It may sound like we're a bunch of old, crotchety, fun police, but really, we just want to see more riders actually stick it out (safely), and sanely. Six months or a year down the line, after you've put thousands of km on a bike that doesn't want to kill you or spit you off on every corner, you can buy that sweet rear end deal of a 600 off the guy who didn't start slow and now is too scared of crashing to ride it anymore.

If you doubt that last part, just check through the classifieds, and see how many sport bikes are being sold with barely used gear. :v:

Ok so I did some searching. This looks like it would fit the bill for a good beginner bike, and it's still a bit sporty.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/893164091.html

One thing seems weird though, it says its a GS500FK, doesn't that mean it should have the fairings on the side? Like this bike?
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_gs500f_2008.php

It appears to not have them. Also, cash only? No checks seriously?