Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Not bad at all if it runs and drives good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
What's CA's opinion on the Bolt? I did some searching but don't see much beyond a few throw away recommendations. I did see that someone owned one, but there were only a couple posts. I'm looking for a new bike and I keep seeing them pop up everywhere for sub $6k brand new. My father owned a 1200 Sportster that I actually really liked riding. If this is similar, with a bit less dental rattle I think it might be the bike I want. I'm getting too old for my SV650S. I'm an old man and my legs cramp up when riding anything over 50 miles on it.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

clutchpuck posted:

I'd look at a rubber mount sporty too, if your dad's was too wiggly. I can't think of a reason to go with a Bolt over a Sportster besides "ew Harley LOL right guys".

Price.
New bolt can be got for Sub 6. The 883s are moving for no less than 8. I'm paying in cash, so if the bikes are truly that similar I can't find a reason to spend 33%+ more for "LOL Harley LOL"
I know Yamaha made a cheap Sportster clone, but it's not like it's loving Kymco or something. I've owned a few Yamahas and I like them.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I feel like you're trying to pin a personality on me that I'm not... I don't "need" a new bike, I just already own something from the 70s that runs 30% of the time, so I'm looking for a reliable DD bike that has a look similar to the Sportster since I like how it looks and enjoyed riding it previously. I'm not worried about things being costly either, I just don't see the value in paying more for something that is not markably better. Used prices on these things are stupidly close to new(Bolt no duh it's new). I live in MN, so we're pretty Harleycentric up here and prices for them are insane to match. Used Sportsters are crazy priced.

I don't want to save $1500 to buy a bike with 13k miles on it. I was just looking more so for input as to whether the bolt feels like a neutered to hell version of a real bike.

4,000 mile valve interval is stupid though...

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

clutchpuck posted:

Don't worry about me, I figured your price budget for a Bolt could get you a nice used Sporty with all the new bike kinks already addressed. I don't make good recommendations when new bikes are involved. Any used bolts around?

Obviously get a Buell XB.

It's more I've already made a decision on what I want to do but I need to seek validation because I'm a huge baby who hates making large purchases but still wants all the toys. My wife and I have already decided our Christmas gifts to ourselves are a new bike and a new rock and we've got a decent budget to make us both happy. She's not having half the issues I am picking something out.

I decided on a DRZ-400SM

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Isn't the 2003 the weird year where some 2004+ parts won't fit so you have to buy 2003 specific upgrades and parts? Different subframe and stuff.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Hey all, Thanks for letting me ask dumb questions about the Bolt and getting me all into Yamaha's again. I finally went and bought one today. I got to do a demo ride and for fun I rode a bunch of different Yamahas.

The Bolt was underpowered and heavy. Long live the Wheelie King!

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Gimlets are made with gin you loving savage.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
If anyone wants to become just like forum posting SuperStar PaintVagrant have I got the bike for you:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/mcy/5665369743.html

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
So, just bought a bike and not looking for a new one, but if anyone wants some new 2013/2014 MVs feel free to come to Minneapolis:

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Found my next bike!

[NSFW]
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/mcy/5643490729.html

The rear fender lady's body proportions are A-Maze-Ing

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Fuuuuuuuckkkkkk Yessssssssss

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

adary posted:

So i'm looking to replace my harley with something entirely different, and the main contender for now is the new Africa Twin.

Any reason I should not get that bike?

If you hate fun avoid it.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Fishvilla posted:

MN Bike Purchase

If you want someone to help you kick tires on a bike let me know. I'm in Minneapolis now, went to college in Eau Claire, so know both areas and only expect the briefest of handjobs to help a goon out.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

JHVH-1 posted:

From what I've read the V7 has a pretty simple design that is pretty reliable.

It's Italian...

What the gently caress

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Fishvilla posted:

Speaking of Supermotos -- is a DR-Z400sm alright for a newish rider? I have one that has crept up on craigslist at the right price and I'm debating it over a cbr250/ninja 300.

I do 90% city/urban riding, and from what I can tell a SM is basically cheat mode for city riding.

Is it the 2005 with a Set of Onroad and Offroad wheels? That thing is really giving me the fizzy in my penis.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
The second one was the one I saw. I like the idea of it already coming with a second set of dirt wheels. They aren't cheap to buy.

I do drink Monster though, so I can never own it.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
LOL if you really think Chinese scooter guy is going to wear gear for a 2 mile ride.

What Environmental factors prohibit you from riding a bicycle? A bicycle would be the much better choice for a 2 mile commute.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

captainOrbital posted:

I've got a 2-mile commute, and I've tried riding a bicycle for it.

You should get an FZ-09; it's much more fun.

I also have an FZ-09.

You should ride a bicycle 2 miles. The motorcycle won't warm up.

EDIT: JK This:

builds character posted:

Plated trials bike or bust.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Buhbuhj posted:

You could maybe not go directly to work on the bike. That's also a thing, maybe go get a coffee or bagel or something.

Ducati doesn't make an entry level bike.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
None of us feel responsible. If idiots want to kill themselves none of us will lose sleep.

Your 435hp mustang has totally prepared you for a fast bike. You can do it. Buy an S1000RR you pussy. Unless you are a woman or a liberal.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

A MIRACLE posted:

I guess I can just list a few of my complaints about the bike and you guys can tell me if I'm crazy, should throw money at it, or switch it up. I'm at about 1 year / 10,000 miles.

• It sounds like a poop
  • It's really really bouncy on the freeway. My new commute has me hitting up to 100mph or so on the 2 and I have to post with my legs the whole way or I'll get bounced out of the seat.
  • There's no helmet lock. My 89 Honda had this and I really miss it.
  • There's no center stand. My 89 Honda had this and I really miss it. I have a pit bull stand but it's a pain in the rear end to drag down to the garage (shared). Also, center stands are nicer for parking sometimes, and doing maintenance away from home.
  • I have a very reliable Miata now and don't need the bike for my commute as much so I might want to go back to an older / more interesting bike.
  • I don't really like how it looks. I mostly bought it because it was cheap and had a warranty and it was going to be my only vehicle for a while since I had just moved to CA and I knew it would be reliable.
  • I think I might be too tall for it

Most of these are stupid or fixable reasons, but if you're making them as your argument you probably just want a different bike and should get a different one. You might regret it, but bikes are cheap so you do you boo.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

ilkhan posted:

2017 EX650 vs 2016 EX650. I know the 2017 is better; lighter, faster, *better in every way*... but how much better? (In $$$$ terms)? Dealer has a red 2016 at 7000, vs a 2017 at 8100.

1100 is not much money in terms of thinking you should have bought the better bike in the first place.

(You will think this all the time)

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
SEEMS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mcy/6192104678.html

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is the second thread I've said this in today, but BKING
It was this thread. But Agree, BKING.

Not biased, but biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
The Tuono pillion seat is literally only useful for riding up to an underage college party and taking home whatever female or small male is interested in exploring your Italian tinkerers hands with you while listening to lovely industrial music.

Edit: The bike itself is great! Industrial Music and all.

Edit 2: Also, you need to have a roommate with an SV650 to bring them back to their car in the morning because they will have no interest in getting on the Tuono 2up while sober and in daylight.

TheFonz fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 24, 2018