Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

What do you guys think of this bike? http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/870760871.html

I've been realizing that I'm probably going to get killed sooner rather than later trying to ride my little 350 on the freeways around here.
People here are by far the most terrible terrible drivers I've ever encountered and very aggressive to boot. I need some evasion power and the little Honda is just about topped at 85 which is what most traffic seems to be flying by me at.

I don't know a thing about these older Suzukis beside the fact that I love the wonderful '80s look of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

aventari posted:

What? are you in San Diego now?!

Yep, just got here a week and a half ago. Seems like there aren't too many of us this far south.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

EDIT: poo poo I'm dumb. I thought you were buying it. Oops.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 8, 2008

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

shaitan posted:

A guy I work with has an 89 CBR600 that he is trying to get rid of. He originally wanted $750 but he'll take $500. I am pretty sure it was downed at one point, the fairings have been rattle can spray painted (horribly he said) and it hasn't been ridden in probably 5-6 years. He told me he took care of it well when he did ride it, and it was running when he put it away, it just won't start now (carbs I would guess)

I'm thinking of picking it up after I take a look at it, I'd like to make sure there isn't much damage to the fairings and such. Although, if I do get it I'll probably go for the streetfighter look and spend a year rebuilding everything and bringing it up to snuff. So I am looking at this as a project bike.

I've only been riding for a few months now and I'm not ready to jump up to the bigger bike yet, but after another season on the 250 I think I'll be ready.

So, this sound like a good deal? $500 for a non-starting 89 CBR600?

Those old Hurricanes are cool as poo poo. A ratty one isn't worth a whole lot of money though. Trying to find good plastics is going to be a nightmare and expensive on top of everything else that goes with a 20 year old multiple owner sportbike that's been put up wet 5 years ago.

I'd look at it, but don't expect to be able to hop on and ride any time soon. Early sportbike ownership is kind of like classic bike ownership. It's cool, but you go into it because you like those types of bike in particular. You understand that it's not without it's troubles be they maintenance, parts availability or prior abuse.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

shaitan posted:

I'm in NYS, I am pretty sure you don't need to pay for back registration on it (states really make you do that? that's some B.S.)

Good enough answer for me though, thanks.

I'm kinda curious about that as well.
When I got my 350 running and registered (in PA) it was just a matter of getting insurance and a plate. No matter that it sat in a garage for over 25 years prior.

How does back registration work in CA? If I pull a bike out of a barn after it sat for 20 years do I have to pay 20 years worth of back registration on the thing?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Title stuff is always iffy. You would think if it was such a quick procedure the owners would have filed for it already. Not saying that it may not be true, you would have to do some research on your own.

To me, unless I have some time on my hands and it's something special, I would use a bike with no title for parts.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

If it really was running when parked it probably just needs a carb cleaning, fresh fuel, maybe some plugs, a battery and oil change to get going again.

You will want to change the rest of the fluids, go over the brakes and put some new rubber on it before you take to the streets though.

For $200 you really can't go wrong. Even if you decide it sucks and you don't want to screw with it, you can easily make your money back parting it.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Most of the time when you have a beat second gear it means the bike has spent a decent amount of time getting the poo poo beat out of it. Most of the stuntaaaz end up getting back cut gears because of this.
I am willing to bet the bike has been hammered and will end up needing other internal work shortly.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Maybe a quick explanation of the "Why isn't a 100hp bike a good beginner?" question should be put in the rules.

I think it's great to explain to people, and if they are honestly curious it would be fine, but it comes up in just about every thread and usually ends up going back and forth for a million posts. The person asking isn't going to be denied that a R6 is a great set of training wheels until you get bored and no one here is going to let it go.

Not saying anything to the guy who just asked it, but really, most people here preach safety because we don't want to see a newbie get killed. Some don't like it or have other ideas and that's fine but the numbers don't lie. Experience also doesn't lie and there's a lot of it here.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Have you looked into the Kawasaki W 650? It's basically an old Brit bike made a few years ago by Kawasaki with all modern bits.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewBikeCatalogue/2002/Kawasaki/W650/Default.htm

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

After reading the Moped thread I really want one. I live close to my job so it would actually be a useful form of transportation. I found this on Craigslist today http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1064604294.html How are these 'peds? Can a kit be thrown upon this?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Dammit! Already gone. The search continues...

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'm going to keep an eye out.
I had a chance to pick up two Puchs at spring Carlisle last year for $120, but didn't both because I was moving soon and I didn't know much about them. I still don't know anything about them but since a lot of here people here do I'm not too worried about finding info.
I'd like to find another ~$100 deal though. I figure I will learn more going through a broken but solid bike than one that is already running fine.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I read somewhere a while ago that the cb250s were jetted really lean and a bigger main will get you a few more mph out of the top end. I can't for the life of me remember where I read it, but it might be worth a shot if you aren't sure what to buy yet.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

The price is kinda high for what most of us are used to paying for older bikes but if it is ready to hop on and ride then it might not be such a bad deal.

From your posts it sounds like you will be having a shop do most of your work so you have to figure that into the older UJM equation. If you picked something like this up for $400 out of grandad's garage after it's been sitting for 20 years (I'm betting the seller did just that), you are going to have to pay a mechanic a good pile of cash to get it going again. Not much in parts, just a ton in labor.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

The only thing that drives me nuts about the GSR is if I'm logged in the posts go backwards (most recent first, down to OP). I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or it's supposed to be like this but it drives me nuts.
The avatars and signing of posts I can forgive. It's not SA, but it's not nearly as bad as a lot of other sites.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

AH! Excellent! That did the trick.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Nice! Another GSer. Welcome to the fold.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

That looks like a pretty clean bike. I had a 350F which is the four cylinder version of the one you're looking at. That had no problem cruising at highway speeds except really long hills. Then I would end up chugging up at about 60mph. Still not bad. The twins were both lighter and had a few more HP than the four so you may not even have that problem.
The only real problem that I know of on the twins is the cam chain tensioner (it's a Honda, it's got to suck). The rubber rollers will fall apart and to replace them you need to split the case. You can usually hear the rattle when they've failed then you pull the oil pan down to find the remnants of your rollers sitting at the bottom.
As far as driving it almost 200 miles. Well, if it is ready to ride like the seller says, I would have no problem. That's if I trusted the seller.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Stuff about power

I love a small bike as much as the rest of us here, but excess power is nice too. Sometimes it is nice to be able to go up a hill without downshifting a gear or two. Around here people routinely drive 80+ on the freeways. If you are trying to keep a good space cushion around you, you need some maneuverability which takes a bit of power. My CB350 was topped at 70-80 depending upon how steep the road was. I felt like a rolling obstacle about to get creamed any second. This also forced me to stay in the rightmost lane where idiots where merging and exiting at both super high and super low speed without a care in the world. Too many close calls for me to be remotely comfortable.
Ideally I would like to have a N250 or a nice small CB or GS for windy road/mild freeway duty and a bigger bike when I need to brave rush hour but I only really have space for one so bigger it is.
Once you get on the capital beltway you will know more of what I'm talking about. I've done it. It's, um, exciting.

EDIT: For content.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 3, 2009

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'm sure they wouldn't have offered the moving allowance if they didn't expect you to use it.
Damage to the bike is largely dependant on who you ship it through. I would so as much research as I could before I called any of them.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

North Carolina was a pretty big pain in the rear end to go through the normal channels to get a lost title but a mechanics lien was much easier. I just filled out the paperwork using my LLC as the shop name and viola, three weeks later I got paperwork saying my company could sell the vehicle. I'd fill out the paperwork saying the LLC sold it to me and a week later a title would show up in the mail.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

hoho`win posted:

A guy has a ZRX1100 on cl for $2650. It says:

For sale a 1999 zrx 1100, runs well, always serviced, roughly 20000 miles, cheapest liter bike your going to find. shown is the few scratches from skidding across the lawn... god bless friends they scratch your stuff....

Is it worth checking out? He seems to be open to the idea of trading for my 81 yamaha xs650 and some cash. What should I offer?

If it's pretty clean, that's a good deal for a Zed Rex. Seems the 1100s go for $2500-4000 depending on niceness while the 1200s go for about $500-1000 more. They are excellent bikes.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I think I've fallen in love with the 990 Super Duke.

I've been thinking about a new bike on and off lately and this one caught my eye and butt more than any other I've played with.

I stopped by the KTM dealer about two blocks away from my house to pick up some fuel line for the GS and saw a few Dukes sitting there. I ended up talking to the owner of the shop for almost an hour while sitting on one and really like the bike.

He has a few leftover '08 models that I can get for 11k out the door, which is really cheap compared to what an '09 costs. Or he has an '08 demo model with 2400 miles on it that's all carbon fibered up, has a full Leo Vince exhaust on it (with tune) and some suspension work for the same price. The only thing is it's a demo and has probably been beaten on. I know he's had it at Streets of Willow where he said it killed his lap time compared to his race Buell.
He offered the demo bike to me for the day next weekend so I'm going back next Saturday to beat on it for a few hours.

Anyone have any experience with these bikes?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Yeah, the demo bike does come with the remainder of the warranty. I am leaning toward that one too. It looks good with the carbon on it. He said he broke it in properly before he took it to the track, but I doubt it even matters all that much these days.
I'll have to see how I feel about it after I take it out next weekend. I'll have a ride report ready to go.
If you come down you are welcome to go for a spin on it.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Ok, I still haven't found anything to buy and the smaller quicker bike bug is still biting.
I really want to do a track day or ten and my GS with it's suspension and brakes just won't cut it. In a semi quick run down the local squid heaven (South Grade road on Palomar mountain for those who know it) I had zero front brakes about half way down. Not fun. This is even with EBC HH pads and fresh fluid.
I was just about set on a new 600 (probably Kawi) when I found something...else.

The bike that caught my eye is a 1991 FZR 600. 16.5k miles. It's running, registered and good to go. Needs tires due to time and probably some other maintenance items. Good but not perfect fairings. Salvage title due to something or other before he or the ppo owned it, but the seller says he's had all of the plastics off of it and can't find any evidence of it ever being crashed hard.
He's also just rebuilt and resynced the carbs and replaced the fork seals.

All of this and more can be mine for the low low price of $700.

The seller is my AMA chapter president so I'm pretty sure of the description and what he's done to it. I'm going to have a look tomorrow and maybe take it home.

Anyone here have any experience with these things?

EDIT: Opps, it's an FZR not YZF. Got ahead of my self a few years. Also, its got a new battery and he's tossing in another tender to add to my collection of battery tending devices.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 23, 2009

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

MrZig posted:

Anyone in Toronto area want to buy me a bike for $500? I promise to pay you back. You even get the priveledge to ride it to BC for me!

Good god it's a nice deal.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/mcy/1350149260.html

Holy poo poo. How far is Toronto from San Diego? Not that far right?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I never start the talking down process until I'm there and actually interested in the bike. I figure it's a waste of the sellers time to be talking business if I haven't even seen what he's selling yet.
I have however gotten good deals on Craigslist from people who have been haggled to death by other buyers and stood up numerous times. After a weekend of that, the act of actually showing up with any amount of money is usually enough to get the bike into the back of your truck.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I think the CB1000F was nick named 'the big one' or something here. Great bikes from what I hear.

Now, what do we think about this:
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/1466860689.html

I left the guy a message, we'll see what he says. I really don't need or have room or time for a project bike but it's pretty drat cool and cheap.

Should I ride into the danger zone?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Anyone looking for an old BMW for pretty cheap? http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1501489826.html

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Plastic Bottle posted:

So I've been working on selling a few things on craigslist in order to buy a newer bike, but someone offered to trade me a 98' Honda CBR-600 in exchange for the snowmobile I have up. Currently I have a 1991 750 Kawasaki Vulcan, but wanted to move in the sports bike direction. Is there anything I should know in general about the CBR-600 before I go check out the bike? Also is there anything I should keep in mind moving from a cruiser to a sports bike?

If you like the seating position on the CBR you will probably like it. Changes from cruiser?
Well, less apparent torque would be one. Probably twice the redline rpm of your current machine. So more noise and more shifting.
More expensive tires. More crap in the way to take off to work on stuff. Maybe higher insurance though being older I'm sure it's quite a bit down compared to new stuff.

Aside from looking over the condition of the CBR overall, ask about maintenance and listen for the tell tale clatter of a dying Cam Chain Tensioner.

Those older sport bikes aren't really all that aggressive when you compare them to the new crop. They don't make bad every day bikes at all. If it's in good shape it will probably keep you happy forever.

Now for me:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/1513691542.html

Why shouldn't I buy this bike? I've been in love with the ZRX forever now and I've got cash and I've been wanting a new bike.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Z3n posted:

Ahh, christmas has arrived, when everyone tries to dump their projects. :v:

Amusingly, I've acquired 2 new projects in a week...a 2001 ZX9R for 400$ and a F2 for 500$. :v:

I love the pre Christmas bike dump myself. I just picked up a really nice Bandit 400 for $500.
Going to look at a "kind of running" Ninja 250 tonight for $300.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

This is very true. I've made a decent amount of money buying up project bikes and cars. That plus it's always fun to have a project to work on.
I do agree about the bike/car lust being a losing proposition. As long as you go into it knowing that, no biggie. The Bandit is a bike I've wanted forever but unfortunately is an oddball that was only sold in the states for a few years almost 20 years ago. I know parts are going to be a pain in the rear end to find and cost a bunch of money but it's all good. I don't plan on selling it, just riding the hell out of it until it falls apart.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I love Ninja 250s. If I had the room I would always have a 250 in the stable. I love them.
I just put a set of springs and emulators in a friends '04. It went from a great bike to ride to just amazing.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've always liked to looks of those Nighthawks though I am a huge fan of 80's angular things.
Nothing other than the obvious to look for on those bikes. Crash damage, leaks, bodged together parts.
Bounce the suspension though I'm going to venture a guess and say it's original and probably worn. Front is easy as refreshing the fork oil, rear you may be able to replace the shocker with one from a newer bike though I'm not sure.

The 700S has hydraulic valves so you never need to worry about adjustments and they are shaft driven so you don't have to worry about chains. Super solid bikes.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I hear the same thing. It does take a real man to handle 72HP and 12in tassels coming out of the apehangers. Maybe one day...

Seriously though, my stepfather has (among many others) a '59 Duoglide that he says I can have when I move back east. You can bet your rear end I will ride the hell out of that thing.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Cheesemaster200 posted:

To be fair, this guy I worked with has an Indian from the 40s He kept talking about the crazy rear end controls the thing had with like a hand shifter between his legs and the clutch on the foot.

I could never figure that poo poo out.

Ah, my SF has a '39 Harley with the same setup. Non return spring foot clutch with a four speed suicide shifter. In that case, he's probably right.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Mcqueen posted:

I'm 6'2" 200. It's a small bike, but the smaller the better for a newbie right? What would you recommend I talk him down to?

I'm 5'10" and don't fit well at all on mine. The most uncomfortable part is that my knees are about two inches past the tank knee dents so I end up with my legs in some weird uncomfortable position while riding. It is a fun bike though so maybe go sit on it a while and see what you think.

As far as price, who knows. They are pretty rare and really hard to find in nice condition so it's more of a "what am I willing to pay" or "what will it take me to part with it" deal. I paid $500 and am planning on selling it for about $1200 when I finally get the drat thing running right but it's not nearly cherry.

Oh, the dual disc seems to be a Japan only option. They came with chrome exhaust and a fender hugger as well. Over here we got one disc, no hugger or shiny exhaust. I've seen some in England with those bits, but I think they were imports.
Even with one disc, the bike stops really well.

Personally I'd go find a B6. Quite a bit roomier, made for many more years making parts not impossible to find and some came with the red frame just like the B4 so you can still pretend it's a Ducati.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

It's even better when it's a three or four year old sportbike with a crappy can hung on it, ugly fender eliminator, tiny turn signals and a few scratches from a "drop in the driveway". Of course they have none of the original poo poo and of course they want an insane amount of money for it to get back all they have 'invested' in it.
It took me weeks of looking to find an unmolested F4i back when I bought mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

The F4i seems to fetch an insane amount of money for some reason.
I got lucky on mine. It was an '02 I picked it up in '05 with 5400mi in nearly perfect shape. I paid I $5200 and sold it due to divorce a year later with a few more thousand for the same price. I still see them for this price or more on Craigslist.