Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.
I've come across a 1981 Suzuki GSX 250

Holy poo poo I fell in love - it's gorgeous!

The bike has been sitting for 2.5 years -unsure if it's been stored wet or dry (I'm waiting on some answers from the owner) or if any preventative thought went in to the storage.. I'm doubting it.

The reason I'm looking is that I'd like to find a cheap japanese bike to learn on as I'm going and this thing looks far too gorgeous NOT to restore it. I understand that it's probably going to be a bit of a sink by the time I find every little niggling thing that could be wrong with it, but I'm less worried about the cash and more worried about a good learning experience and an old, attractive, small capacity bike to run errands on some time in the future.

I might, if I'm lucky, be able to pick it up for 3-400 (I'm in Australia). Anybody got any huge 'don't even think about it' type information for me that I should worry about?

edit: by learn on I mean learning more about working on bikes

the letter b fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 27, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Who the hell cares how it was stored. Nothing of it sitting outside could hurt it enough to make it unfixable. If you can afford it, get it. It's an 8 valve twin. Probably on the order of 25hp. 6 speed transmission. And it's got all the body work and looks good. Anything mechanical that's wrong... is fixable. Easily. Once again, to be clear, snatch that thing up. If you ever think it's to slow, there's an upgrade path with the GSX450 motor.

Thanks - based on that and a few other people I've been talking to I've made an offer, so we'll see how it goes.

Just to clarify, by learn on I mean learn about working on bikes.. I'd like something that I can gently caress up that won't cause me to lose my primary mode of transport while I fix it. I figure cheap and Japanese is the way to go based on parts being cheaper and more plentiful here.

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003

Nerobro posted:

If you want something to fix... a GS/GSX isn't the way to go. They don't break much. :-) 99% chance that this bike needs a carb cleaning, and it will run like a champ.

I guess to clarify again - I'll probably be pulling it down for the sake of putting it together :).

Good news anyway I suppose, the lady can take it out for breakfast on Saturday mornings.