Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

OH YEAH? I'M FROM DETROIT(s suburbs)!
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/871384949.html

How can I pass this up? Guy said it has a dent in the fuel tank, and needs a turn signal fixed. Other than that, what would stop me from picking this thing up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

I just talked to him. His email shows he's a trusted seller on a few auto parts forums. Everything on the bike works fine, but the fuel tank has a nasty dent, and the headlight "cup" is dented. I assume replacing a fuel tank is sort of easy, based on what I'm reading here on the internet.

Click here for the full 640x479 image.

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

Z3n posted:

Bike looks good. Replacement tanks may be hard to come by, especially in good, stock condition, but just buy it and ride it. gently caress cosmetics ;)

Yeah, I'm basically of the same opinion, although he will throw in a tank from a V45 that almost fits. Whatever that means.

He also said the rear tire is dry-rotted, which is to be expected on a bike thats 24 years old with under 2k miles. How much can I expect to pay for a set of new tires? Front Tire 100/90-16, Rear Tire 130/90-18.

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

Picked up the Magna today, for $50 less than what was advertised. The owner included a trickle charger, replacement gas tank, replacement radiator shield, replacement turn signal, unused front tire, and a refurbished front wheel, disc included. It will need a little work here and there, but it runs, and I'm geeked.

What have I gotten myself into now.

What I'd like to replace first is the front fork stabilizer. The OE part was a flimsy little piece of aluminum. It sits between the front shocks, and according to Honda wasn't a load-bearing device. Nonetheless, lots and lots of Magna owners find this part cracked, and therefore want it replaced. Supposedly I can make one myself, but where I would find 3/16" aluminum is beyond me. I don't plan on putting on any serious riding miles until spring.

Update edit: This thing is fantastic. I can't wait to fix it up and get it on the road. I drove it up and down my subdivision a few times, and it is really smooth and powerful. It blows away the bikes I had to endure at the MSF testing.

NVaderJ fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 12, 2008

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

MetalClawWolf posted:

Be VEEEEEEERY careful with that thing. Just because its old doesn't mean its a good first bike. Magnas have killed a lot more riders than you'd think.

I've read lots of stories about the V45 and Super Magna models leaving a trail squidly remains. From what I'm reading, and based on the very little I test drove this bike, the suspension is quite soft, and bottoms out with heavier riders. I'm a very cautious guy by nature, and finding this bike's handling limits is not something I plan on doing.

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

This looks to be a good deal...

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/886746150.html

Craigslist posted:

1989 Kawasaki Ninja 500 EX500 9700 miles, new tires, new battery, carbs are rebuilt. Great starter bike and 65 miles to the gallon. Cowl has some cracks but bike still looks great. Asking $1800 OBO please call **** or ****

NVaderJ fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 23, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

Stoic Commie posted:

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/906751980.html

How's this for a first bike? He says it only needs a new cellunoid, but he has the part and I just have to install it.

All the other deals I keep finding are getting bought out before I can blink.

Be sure to note that those pictures are from another website.

http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CM400

I'd ask for some pictures via email before checking it out.

I'd ask about the solenoid/stator whatever problem too. If its an easy fix, he would have done it.

NVaderJ fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 5, 2008