Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Entreri posted:

What's a good price for a used 07 Ninja 250r? I've seen them for $2000-ish in my area, but I'm looking at a used one on craigslist with 17k miles for $1750. Looks really clean and the guy says it's had new tires and oil recently. It's potentially going to be my first bike. Should I jump on this deal?

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/mcy/883205127.html

An 07 with 17k miles would probably still command $2500 if it were in good condition. Hell, my gf paid 1700 for her 98 with 10k miles this summer. It is a good bike, but I will echo everyone else and say that that bike is not, you'll be looking at dumping more money into it after picking it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
A guy I work with has an 89 CBR600 that he is trying to get rid of. He originally wanted $750 but he'll take $500. I am pretty sure it was downed at one point, the fairings have been rattle can spray painted (horribly he said) and it hasn't been ridden in probably 5-6 years. He told me he took care of it well when he did ride it, and it was running when he put it away, it just won't start now (carbs I would guess)

I'm thinking of picking it up after I take a look at it, I'd like to make sure there isn't much damage to the fairings and such. Although, if I do get it I'll probably go for the streetfighter look and spend a year rebuilding everything and bringing it up to snuff. So I am looking at this as a project bike.

I've only been riding for a few months now and I'm not ready to jump up to the bigger bike yet, but after another season on the 250 I think I'll be ready.

So, this sound like a good deal? $500 for a non-starting 89 CBR600?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Bugdrvr posted:

Those old Hurricanes are cool as poo poo. A ratty one isn't worth a whole lot of money though. Trying to find good plastics is going to be a nightmare and expensive on top of everything else that goes with a 20 year old multiple owner sportbike that's been put up wet 5 years ago.

I'd look at it, but don't expect to be able to hop on and ride any time soon. Early sportbike ownership is kind of like classic bike ownership. It's cool, but you go into it because you like those types of bike in particular. You understand that it's not without it's troubles be they maintenance, parts availability or prior abuse.

Yeah, since I'd probably just end up removing the fairings I was figuring I could just sell them for a pretty penny alone. From what I understand the plastic is ok, just the paint job is ultra lovely.

I'm quite aware that getting the bike is just the first part, getting it running well is a whole other story. But like I said, I am looking at it as a project and I am not planning on reall riding it for what could be a whole year.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I'm in NYS, I am pretty sure you don't need to pay for back registration on it (states really make you do that? that's some B.S.)

Good enough answer for me though, thanks.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

The Wormy Guy posted:

Ok so I did some searching. This looks like it would fit the bill for a good beginner bike, and it's still a bit sporty.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/893164091.html

One thing seems weird though, it says its a GS500FK, doesn't that mean it should have the fairings on the side? Like this bike?
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_gs500f_2008.php

It appears to not have them. Also, cash only? No checks seriously?

Good choice of a bike, that one has probably been downed before though so that would be my guess as to why there are no fairings.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Stoic Commie posted:

[project 250 with a history of death]

Maybe it's just me, but I would just stay away from a bike that has already killed one person. That and you really should just get a bike that works right off the bat so you can concentrate more on riding than taking care of a bike.

Unless you are a serious gearhead, I say pass. Have you tried going to local dealers? My GF got lucky and found a 98 for 1500 one day at a dealer that had just been traded in, I also got lucky in finding an 07 last year that was leftover (both 250's).

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I'm thinking about getting this as my second bike: http://binghamton.craigslist.org/mcy/1061270786.html

Moving up from a 250, it's only a 500 so I should be ok right? Opinions anyone?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Simkin posted:

Yeah, that's probably just about enough. You should probably ask Christoff, as he's the expert on bumping up from newb bikes to something more reasonable, within a very short time span. :v:

Think I could talk them down to 22? Seems like a fair deal.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Dune riding sounds like the most awesome poo poo in the world, I'd love to do it someday.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

CoolBlue posted:

At 2K miles, I really think you're going a little overboard checking the valve clearances and cleaning the air filter. I mean, you can if you want, but its not like he ran it for 20K miles with doing no maintenance.

If all he did was change the oil then the valves should be checked. Kawasaki recommends getting the valves checked after the first 500-1000 miles. After that then it's normal.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

wormil posted:

I've never sat on a Ninja 250 but if it sits like a real sportbike then your weight will be resting on your arms, being heavier you'll get tired quicker and your back will hurt after a day or two of steady riding. 200 miles is nothing, depending on the roads it's only 3+ hours of riding. On the other hand, if you were looking for a cruiser then go bigger. A mid-range cruiser won't be much heavier, won't be overly powerful, the low seating makes them easier to handle and you won't be ready to trade it after the first month of riding.

The 250 is a more upright seating position. But giving that a cruiser is the end goal, I'd stick with a cruiser (but not a 250 cruiser...it'll kill you)

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Entreri posted:

http://ninja250.kingston.net/ninja-value.html

I saw this posted on a ninja 250 forum and it puts a 2008 Ninja 250 with 4k miles at $2262.05. That seems pretty low to me, but then again I know nothing about motorcycle values being a newbie. Should I try and talk this guy down from $2900? If so, what reasoning should I use?

I've been seeing a lot of people around here selling 2008 250's for well over 3k, the ads don't last long so I assume they are going for that much still.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Logue posted:

Hmmmmmm, might have found a possible first bike

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1252682936.html

The low miles for that age kinda worries me tho. From what I'm reading, low mile old bikes could have problems with seals and bushings. Are there any specific issues I should look for?

Quite amazing that the other vehicles in the picture are just as old/older.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Now I want to meet an Italian Librarian on the beach.

I'm starting to look at new bikes for sometime next year. The bike will probably be both a daily commuter (if I sell my current bike) and a tourer. It's a second bike with my first being a Ninja 250. I am thinking I'll probably be doing 80/20 or 90/10 street/offroad. Offroad meaning going on camping trips so dirt roads with lots of loose rock and not always nice dirt roads.

I'm looking at something along the 650 family of bikes, with the V-Strom and Kawasaki ER-6N being my leading choices. I have a feeling that with the roads I want to take that pretty much any bike will be good. I'd just like to see if taking something like a v-strom (which has a pretty high seating position if I remember right) on roads with some big rocks is a bad idea?

shaitan fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 6, 2009

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

the walkin dude posted:

Anyone? :( Is it a good buy?

Looks like it really is gone this time. I'd offer 1250 but I think 1500 with a new tire is a pretty good deal. Especially so late in the season, prices should be pretty low. We only got another month of good riding left here upstate.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

ari.gato posted:

This.

This what? I don't get it, is that a complete sentence?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Gnomad posted:

If the card rate will stay low and predictable and you remember to make those payments, it's not that terrible an idea. The rub is if you miss a payment and suddenly the interest rate goes up to 30%, then it's a terrible idea.

Luckily, I do believe this is illegal now.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
What do you guys think of the Triumph Street Triple? I'm going over my options for my second bike, I've been riding for about 2 years now and I am in the mood for something a bit more evil/exotic than my little 250. I'm pretty responsible so I think I can handle the jump to a 100hp bike fairly well.

I've been looking around, and every few days I see one pop up within a few hundred miles,usually around 6-8k. Anyone sat on one? I haven't found one to even sit on so I may not even like the thing, I'm tall 6'3, with a 34" inseam.

Any other recommendations of bikes of that sort (naked, sporty)? Not looking for an SV or a Monster. I'm in Upstate NY so we don't get too many options.

Other side of the spectrum I'm looking at is Supermotos, but I think I'd like one as a second, toy bike. The triumph will be my main bike for day trips and the sort.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
My Fiancée just bought an ER-6n, it is a a pretty hot little bike and fits me pretty well. I would get one but I'd rather have a different bike than her this time (we did have matching 250s..awww I know)

Buells, I hadn't even thought of that. Not exotic but still real nice bikes and close to the style I'm looking at.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Thanks Saga, I'll keep that in mind when I'm looking. I don't ride very hard so I'm not going to be testing the limits of the bike. 100hp is the limit of what I'm comfortable with, so the Z1000, Speed Triple and the like is just a little bit out of my comfort zone with power. Figures that the big bikes are easier to get, I can find plenty of those on craigslist.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

fartzilla posted:

I used to have a Ninja 250 and I loved the seating position, but now I'm looking for a better bike and I want something similar. Laying on top of a gas tank doesn't sound very comfortable for long rides, and I'll probably be making two-hour trips every month or so.

I'm looking into the ZZR600 and it looks similar, maybe a bit higher. And I'm concerned it's too much power for my second bike, although I've been riding for two years without problems so maybe it's not a big deal.

I guess the best way to find out is to try a bunch of bikes, but I'd like some general guidance towards specific models before I start looking for some to try. Any recommendations?

The wife just bought an ER-6n, riding style is pretty close to the 250. It's a bit taller and still got some balls. The engine is the same as the Ninja 650.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
There is a Transalp for sale at a local dealer, 30k miles and looks to be in pretty good shape. They are asking for 2600. It's on Consignment and said the guy would be paying them to do a 'once over' on the bike.

They said it needs some TLC and when I sat on it the rear brake was impossible for me to push all the way to the bottom, my foot just wouldn't reach. Sitting on the bike felt great, is that a decent price?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Z3n posted:

That seems oddly high to me, but transalps are pretty rare in the US, we don't have much of a market for them.

The rarity and $2600 made me curious. I don't really have my heart set on owning it but if it was a good deal I'd think about it. A DS isn't my first choice for a bike right now, but eventually I'd like to own one just to see how they feel.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Thanks guys. I think I'll pass on the Transalp since it doesn't sound like a perfect bike. I'm sure it's sweet but since I'm not deadset on a DS right now, nor on a rare bike, I'll wait till I find something I'm dead set on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
So other than Craigslist, Cycletrader and Ebay are there any other good online options for looking at bikes? I'm on the lookout for a Street Triple but it seems only new ones are for sale around the entire country.

Any good national craigslist search sites left? loving retarded that CL took down those sites a year or two back.