Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Tell me about the Yamaha Raider! The dealership by me has the 08 models marked down pretty significantly, and the wife fully approves of my aspiration to buy a brand new shiny object for myself (I just got her on her first bike and she is 3 weeks in and completely obsessed)...

For a while (since Sturgis last year, haha) I've been telling myself that my next bike will be a Softail of some sort, but my current 14 year old Kawasaki looks like it might not make it long enough to have the money to afford a Harley.

Enter Raider at about $4000 under MSRP, it's lighter and it looks amazing. Looks pretty much along the same lines as my BUBF Vulcan, but more modern and way sexier. I also like the thought of an overdrive gear, something the Vulcan sadly lacks, making it a little obnoxious for me over 80 for long stretches.

I understand that this is a new model, but does anyone have any experience with one of these suckers? Do they have any common issues? Ride problems? Gremlins? I sat on one at the last motorcycle expo in Seattle, and it was by far the most comfortable model for me that Yamaha had there. I've pretty much decided to get one, barring any major mechanical/electrical issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

wormil posted:

I don't know anymore about them than you do but they are big rear end nice bikes and they sit very nice.

edit: where are you with the great deals on Raiders? The dealership here is overflowing with bikes and has no interest in making them go away, except for the dirtbikes which are $1 over invoice.

Let me ask you something about Sturgis, I was there years ago for their 50th and the climate seemed pretty hostile toward metric bikes, has that changed at all? I would like to go again and ride in this time.

I am in Western WA, about 30 mi outside of Seattle. They actually moved the $9999 Raider I was drooling over last week. I am keeping that model in mind, but I am also looking at used H-D Softails (highest preference), Road Kings, Electra Glides as well as new Yama Road Stars and Roadliners in the same price range. Since I don't like Blue bikes, picken's seem to be slim.

As for Sturgis, last year when I went (their 68th), metrics were fairly common but obviously way less so than H-Ds. I even saw a few other BUBF Vulcans like mine. But it is still very much Harley-centric.

I'll tell you one thing though, I hope this guy got plenty poo poo on.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 24, 2009

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Barring some sort of handicap, those wheels reinforce some seriously poor riding habits. What happens when you forget to lower the gear in a parking lot? Down you go and I hope the lady on the 2 up still has strong bones.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The wife wants to shop for a newer bike. I guess she is not excited about continuing to ride her 1984 V30 around after it gets fixed, and she sums it up with "it feels like a bicycle".

We have been reviewing what is out there and, in her words, "I'm having a goldilocks problem. This bike is too sportbike. This bike isn't too sportbike enough." I take that to mean a standard with some sporty characteristics.

Her riding experience consists of several thousand on her V30 Magna, which I want to say makes just shy of 70hp, and a Buell XB12X, which makes over 100. In terms of performance, she wants to take a step up from the Honda, while maintaining some comfort over distance.

Price-wise, we are looking at the $5000-$10,000 range.

Age-wise, we are just getting off the old-bike-blues with her V30's carb failure, so we are looking specifically at EFI for this purchase, her requirement (though I think she could be convinced to accept a single-carb).

Stuff we've been looking at:

- Suzuki SV650, we've located an '05 at the bottom end of the price range, I think this would be great for some light touring and summer commuting.

- Suzuki Vstrom 650, these typically fall at the higher end of our budget

- Kawasaki Versys, this could be a winner if we can locate one that isn't blue. Though we have found a new demo unit. Any reason to avoid a warrantied demo ride?

- Kawasaki ER-6n, pretty much same story as Versys

- BMW G 650 Xcountry, I'm concerned about distance comfort and longevity with the 650 thumper. It's a less sporty, more dualsport model, which she seems to be fond of, having enjoyed the Ulysses

Aside from the classic SV650, does anybody have any experience with these models? Pro-tips? Gotchas? Stuff to look out for?

Also if there are any other bikes out there that would fit the bill for her, based on the examples given, I am ears.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Seattle area. We're looking at dealerships, hence the steep pricing on the Vstroms, the 650s seem to hover around 7500, that is too much IMO.

What she REALLY wants is a H-D XR1200X, budget be damned, but those aren't out until August, and we have a big trip planned before they release.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Not really anti-CL, but we want to finance a portion of it until we sell off the VF, Immediate budgetary pressures and all.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Phy posted:

Without having any idea of what your finances are like, would you be able to talk to your bank/credit union and open a line of credit or similar? (Or is that a terrible idea, CA?)

We were intending on using a CC for part of the cost; we have a very low rate on the card. Lower than our CU offers on a LOC or vehicle loan, and one advantage there is the title isn't tied up with the bank in case we need/want to sell it without a headache. I'm sure it's a "terrible idea". But this thread isn't about "how to arrange finances".

Anyhoo, I sent the KLR and DL links to the wife and she doesn't like the sprung fenders at all. So I guess those are out unless you can show me an unsprung fender kit :)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Phy posted:

Yeah, but the Strom line has a low-mount front fender, which is why I thought he meant the rears.

Sorry I meant DR, not DL, when I made that comment. I think I misread almost an entire post back there. Good going, me.

Went and checked out a new strom 650 and 1000. Seems comfortable. The dude at the dealership said the 650 has about as long legs as the 1000, just takes a little longer to get up to speed. Is this BS?

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 1, 2010

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Well we went out to some dealers today. She really likes the BMW R model but fears it may be "too much motorcycle", but I reminded her that's what she said when she first got on her V30 which now feels like a bicycle. We found a couple with 20-some thousand miles for under $7,000.

What's the deal on those BMW Rs? Those opposed twins are supposed to be bulletproof, right? The sales guy at the dealer mentioned they're 200k engines. Are there other parts of that bike that should be paid attention to? What about the shaft rear end? I seem to recall reading somewhere that those are pretty sophisticated and could run up a big repair bill if something happens with it.

Turns out nobody has a used Strom. Pickens are even slim on Craigslist.

Ran across a couple Yamaha Warriors, too. She said she'd definitely buy one if it was the right price and right color.

Another thing she really liked was an 05 Kawasaki ZRX 1200 but the one she wanted to look at was sold before we got there.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
She is going to try and arrange a test ride next weekend, if its still there, on a 04 R1100S with 25k mi. Doesn't look like anybody rode much 2 up on this one:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

PlasticSun posted:

The R1150R puts out about 20 less horsepower if she's worried about the S being too much bike.

The "too much" is more in terms of how much physical bike there is. Right now she is riding around on a 100+ horsepower Buell. I imagine any stock R is tame in comparison; she seems more concerned about the width of the motor. You haven't found that to be an issue, have you?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah, the Yamaha dealer that has been taking care of my XVS13 charges $90/hr. The indie guy up the street who is notorious for doing a thorough job "only" charges $80/hr. $100/hr doesn't really seem all that bad for shop labor these days (am I part of the problem???).

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The Street Triple looks pretty hot. I know nothing about them, but my first bike was a Yamaha 750 triple, and I can definitely say the sound and feel of a triple motor is fantastic.

Along the same lines, Kawasaki has the ER-6n, a 650 twin, naked street fighter style thing. Looks pretty cool IMO. I poked at and sat on a couple recently and they seem like something pretty drat fun to scoot around on. Only like 70hp though...

I really like the Buell XB12 line, what completely awesome bikes. I have never felt that sort of torque before I rode a XB12X. What's the conversion ratio between metric assload and imperial fuckton, again? Cause it has that much. 100+ horsepower all within like 6k rpm, plus the 1200 they have in it sounds completely wicked. Self-tensioning drive belt, EFI, bulletproof Harley-Davidson-derived Evo motor.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 7, 2010

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Darth Llama posted:

I'm looking at a Harley XLH 1200 Sportster. Anyone know of particular problems with the engine on this bike (never had a Harley before). The mileage is 37K, so I want to know if it has much potential life left in it before a rebuild. . .

Edit: Year is 1991.

The unit construction Evo 1200 is a solid, low maintenance engine. They have a reputation for dependability.

In 1991, they would have been bolted to the frame and (I believe) have a chain final drive. A little lighter and sportier than a newer rubbermount, but less comfortable.

Mileage-wise, it's hard to tell. Kind of depends on the riding style, riding conditions, maintenance, etc. People say a Sporty 1200 will last 100k mi without major trouble. I also know it's pretty popular to have top-end rebuilds done around 50k. If it doesn't burn oil, it should be all set for a while.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Jabs posted:

Back from vacation, and catching up...

That's the '94 R1100RS I owned over the winter (after I put 6.45 miles on it, apparently).
If you like, I have the maintenance logs (from new) I can email you, and you can figure out cost per mile, or whatever...

Well she appears to have found the one she likes: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1839699615.html Very clean, bags, new tires, maintenance records, etc.

She also test rode this one out on Vashon last weekend: http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcy/1832574203.html but it was extremely dirty and looked neglected. Has 12k mi but looked like 3x that. Steering bearing made a clearly-audible GROAN when she picked it up and straightened the bars, rear end seals held on with zip-tie, front wheel bearing puked, heads had cooked-on oil. Poor bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Saga posted:

Just needs the flyscreen bolting on and it's perfect!

e: BMW owners LOL...37 different upgrades to: um, the lighting system and a loving loud horn.

I know, right? I told her if she's going to ride behind me, she's going to have to disable the headlight modulator.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ChiTownEddie posted:

Whatcha guys think for a newbie...
Is something like this too old (problem prone)? I've heard nighthawks are amazing starter bikes and the fact he says he just got it tuned up/cleaned seems good for someone new...
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/1841929179.html

It's an old bike, but if it starts, runs, rides well and doesn't leak any fluids, it should be fine for a beginner bike.

My wife started on a 500cc Magna, which looks remarkably similar to that, except it has a VF instead of a [straight four? twin?]. I imagine they used the same frame several of their lightweight cruisers; Magna VF500, that Nighthawk, and the Shadow VT500. If the way the Magna handles is any indication, it should be a great learner bike in practice. Low seat height, light weight, easy handling, not enough power to get you into a ton of trouble.

A bike that age is going to need some regular wrenching, and with the age vs. displacement, you will probably outgrow it quickly. I'd be happy to see 1 season on that one before I start looking for the next (newer, more dependable) one.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 14, 2010

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

PlasticSun posted:

Nice sounds like the first one's been well taken care of.

And it will be rode home tomorrow evening!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I agree. We pick it up tonight and it comes with a manual so we shouldn't have any trouble with the fluid change.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Lazlo posted:

Though it would break my Dad’s heart because he’s a diehard Harley guy, the bike I’ve really been looking at is the BMW r1200r.

Have you considered a Buell XB12something? They're still sort of a Harley [motor is based on the Sporty 1200's] but without the huge price tag. They make retarded amounts of torque and about 100hp stock, all within 6000 or so RPM. Really fun to ride, lots out there, and you can still get parts and service for them.

My wife rides a R1150R and we share a storage unit with a guy who rides a XB12XT - I've rode them both back to back; they have similar riding ergos but the Buell is a lot more exciting.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

kylej posted:

Anyone here have experience with a Z1000? Is it as fun to ride around on backroads as an SV650? I think they look beautiful but I'm not sure it's the most practical for my needs.

It's pretty much a street fighter styled ZX-10R or ZX-9R [depending on year] with a standard position. It's a little buzzy through the bars at the exciting RPMs, but I get the impression it is fast as balls and a lot of fun.

It would be a lot more to manage on the backroads than a SV650. The v-twin in the SV has a friendlier power band for casual backroad duty.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

kylej posted:

coming from a bike that has some modern luxuries and a torquey v-twin it might be a bit disappointing.

A Buell XB12 model might be what you are after for torquey absurdity. With 100-ish horsepower and a 6.5k redline, the acceleration right off idle is... ludicrous. They are pretty nice to wrench on, too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

You can find a newer Vstar 650 for around $3000. Big aftermarket for them, too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

kylej posted:

This is a great post, thanks a bunch. Maybe an F2 or F3 is the better option.

Or maybe I'll go completely off the deep end and buy this http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/2360138068.html :D

If you get that, whatever you do, don't need any parts from Italy in the summer. You'll get them in the fall.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Anarchist posted:

I found an 84 VF500f (http://southcoast.craigslist.org/mcd/2316312965.html) while it looks pretty it's a bit older and there is literally 0 information posted about it. Do Honda's hold up well or is a bike that old going to be a money pit in repairs?

They tend to hold up well enough AND they'll be a money put for any repairs. The VF500s were only made a few years, so parts are precious. If the carburetors need work, they are a huge pain to remove and reinstall. Some suffer from weak cam oiling, which can be fixed by a oil kit that probably no longer exists.

I am working on a VF500C with leaky carbs. Getting the rack off the bike was an incredibly tight squeeze. It will be worth it though, the 500cc VF is a lively ride.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

hayden. posted:

It'd be interesting to hear everyone's take on what's the best bike-per-dollar for a budget of $1500. Strictly street oriented bikes with an emphasis on street rideability (no supersports/cruisers/dualsports) and points for power, reliability, comfort, and handling (aesthetics too if you like). The Ninja 250 is a good candidate to start with I'm sure.

Generally speaking, I'd say that's a naked Japanese standard with shaft drive, 500-850cc. Bonus for twin-cylinder engine.

The twin and shaft will keep maintenance simple and ongoing costs down.

Bigger displacement for practical versatility. Sure you could tour the western states on a 250 but that would be torture for the sake of torture [for you and the bike]. A little more weight is good for not being bounced and blown around like a leaf on the interstate.

Examples: GS850, XS750 [its a triple-cyl though so you're looking at 50% more potential carburetor trouble], VT500 Ascot

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Stryguy posted:

Any recommendations?

Sportsters feel pretty heavy for their size at a stop, that's not a real good thing for a new rider. Endless Mike is right, you'll probably drop it, and you want to drop something cheap until you stop dropping. The problem with Harleys is they're not cheap.

I started on a 1500cc Vulcan and I am still around, so I won't tell you to get something little or slow [although the Vulcan was pretty little]. Just get something that isn't going to break your heart when it gets all marred up.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
For a cruiser I would look at 800-1100cc to push all the chrome around. They really need the displacement. Especially if you're 6'1", a 650 will be a clown bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ryuga Death posted:

I think this is the appropriate thread to ask, but if not I'm sorry. I'll be taking my MSF soon and have been looking around for a bike. So far, I've taken a liking to the 2011 CBR250R. It seems like a nice starter bike, but since I'm new, I don't know if this is a stupid bike to go with for a newbie.

I get a magazine that had a shootout between the CBR250R, the Ninja 250, and some Chinese abomination. There are a lot of positive things being said about it, you probably won't go wrong with one of those.

New bikes will typically require a visit to the shop after a few hundred miles to get the break-in oil out and verify no bolts are gonna fall out. Keep that in mind, my vstar's first service was a $400+ ordeal. To avoid that, get a broken-in used one.

Edit to avoid stacking replies:

Z3n posted:

The ninja 250 will handle freeway better, is somewhat more powerful, (2 cylinder engine on the ninja makes better power than the single on the CBR). But if you don't do a lot of freeway, then the CBR will be a good choice, and the ABS is a HUGE incentive for new riders.

I would guess the difference is going to be fairly negligible in real-world highway performance. Honda has more torque where you'll actually be riding it, and you need to rev the Ninja to 11,000 to make <4 more horsepower than the Honda makes at <9,000.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 16, 2011

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

infraboy posted:

Contrary to most of CA I think I prefer inline 4s and the usual smoother way they build up their power as opposed to the always torquey Vtwins, i've ridden an SV650 and still preferred the way the Honda F2 engine spun up.

You need a Suzuki RE-5. Yeah, I bought that user title.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Around here they go for around $2500-3000 but we have pretty retarded prices. I would shoot for like $1500 with the damage. Shiny unmarred tins and pipes are kind of important for a cruiser like that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

"[panic posted:

"]
I've got to give that bike credit though, it is an awful lot of fun to ride. For a cruiser it handles amazingly well and even with the small engine I can get up and going quick. I'm going to miss her.

That's the one with the EX500 engine right? I've always wanted to ride one of those.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

shoot for sub 2k for your first bike in case you discover you don't like that style of bike after all

This is good advice. Doing some actual riding will inform your tastes way more than looking.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

I like turtles posted:

I'm 6'2" 230lbs, so it sounds like that probably wouldn't be a great fit. Thanks for the advice!

Keeping in mind they don't really ever make enough horsepower per unit of displacement, a 800-1100cc vtwin cruiser would probably be a good size/shape fit for you if your thighs are capable of wrestling it around a bit.

I base this on my experience test-riding for friends; Shadow 750 felt really cramped for my 5'10" frame, but the Vulcan 800s and Vstar 1100s feel pretty ok. I know the Yamaha 1100s only make like 60hp, which is fully reasonable for a newbie.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 7, 2011

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you're doing long commutes like that I would recommend something that turns comfortable revs at highway speed [70ish?]. I used to have a Vulcan 1500 with a 4 speed and the engine vibration just wore me out above 70.

Also, how big are you? That comes into play.

Pretty much any big narrow angle v-twin cruiser under 1200cc will make 70 horsepower or less so you aren't looking at big performance monsters that will get you in trouble. They're heavy and slower to turn and stop so you have to always be alert and thinking ahead. This is totally true for any bike but cruisers sort of bias this part of the equation.

Vulcan 800s are pretty cool and strike a good balance with weight vs power. They made (make?) a Vulcan 500 that uses the same motor as the Ninja 500, it is pretty peppy. Vstars and Viragos are solid. Shadows are good.

You should sit on a few to get an idea of how they feel. Boards vs. pegs, different handlebar setups, etc.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

hayden. posted:

2. The warrior has 300CCs over the Vstar, so it'll make more power.

This is not true. The Warrior's engine does have more volume but it's an older design shared with the Road Star, OHV, low-revving, lumpy Harley-like v-twin that likes to be lugged. 75 or so horsies. Good for blasting off from stoplights.

The 1300 is a pretty different story. It's a 60 degree with a 2-1 so it likes revs, has a way different sound, and it makes like 80 glass-smooth horsepower that you need revs to get to. It's more like Yamaha's V-rod. Good for about 130mph with some flat, smooth interstate.

crazyivan45 posted:

I've had my Vulcan 500 now for about 3 months....

The yamaha dealer near me has a brand new 2009 vstar 1300 for $6800 and a brand new 2009 warrior for $8000...

1.) Should I ditch the Vulcan for some new hotness (I can afford either one)

2.) which would be the better option for someone looking for a more powerful cruiser for commuting and occasional weekend trips/backroad runs?

I own a Vstar, here is my take on it:

You get more luggage options with the Vstar. It comes with some nice bags, too if you opt for the tourer model but the aerodynamics with the windscreen [thankfully, removable] will buffet your helmet around. HOWEVER the stock tourer bags are not easily removeable so it's probably a better option to pick up some easy brackets and whatever saddlebags you want. Makes washes and wheel/tire maintenance easier, plus the bike looks pretty good with the monoshock rear end and belt drive, don't want to hide it all the time.

If you like to chug it around town like a Harley, you're going to want a different bike. The 1300 has an oversquare stroke ratio so it doesn't like lugging, and it produces exciting thrust from 3500-6000. In contrast the warrior makes exciting thrust from idle to like 4000.

I haven't had any trouble with mine and I've taken it on some multi-day trips. I bought a $50 "Jack's o2 mod" which is just a resistor inline with the o2 sensor that riches it up when it's paying attention to the o2 [light-throttle, slow speed], improves manners around town. I get 40-60mpg depending on how liberal I am with the throttle.

If you're serious about getting a 1300, try to get it with the Dunlop K555 OEM rear tire. It has way better longevity than the OEM Bridgestone. I rode 13k mi on my K555.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 11, 2011

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

hayden. posted:

I know more volume != more power, but from the few horsepower figures I managed to find it was showing that the warrior had a lot more of it. They were apparently inaccurate, though. Sorry for the misinformation.

The Warrior does look more powerful, and the difference in peak power is really pretty negligible. The Warrior's torque will pull stumps, too. :) Can't go wrong with either powerplant - the better one depends pretty heavily on rider preference.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Since my vstar has major problems I intend to sell it this summer if I can, and replace it with something smaller and lighter. However I still do like to tour long distance.

Thinking about a Vstrom. The 650s and 1000s don't seem to have much of a price delta between them. I heard the 1000s are considerably heavier and have some fueling idiosyncrasies - is it as bad as I hear? I assume the 1000 turns more comfortable revs on the highway?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The V45 VF engine makes a boatload of power, somewhere around 100 horsies - it is a fast bike. And the bike is not a super light modern sporty deal, older bikes like that tend to carry a little more heft.

Also, if you ever have carb troubles which you probably will if there is fuel tank trouble requiring sealant, those VF engines are a pain to deal with or very expensive - take your pick. If you are interested in that model in particular, you should be VERY picky about overall condition, running order, etc.

As far as potential problems and overall ease of maintenance goes, you should be looking for a bike with 1-2 cylinders. Taking into account how powerful that Sabre is, and how old it is [which will tend to lead to a lot of downtime], if you are looking for a starter bike, I recommend looking elsewhere. Your focus should be on riding, not fixing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
2000 Buell M2 Cyclone

Are there anything wrong with these? I like the XB12 models a lot and these look cool, if a little more traditional than the XB12 series. One would look good going down the road next to the wife's R1150R, with the tube frame and sexy nakedness. I appreciate that it's a Harley-derived vtwin, so there should be people out there that know how to work on it. The single-carburetor fueling seems pretty easy to manage.

Anybody have any experience or anecdote concerning this model?