Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus

meatpotato posted:

I'm pondering the idea of getting a "real" bike. I mean this in the sense that I've been riding Honda scooters for the last 2 years. One (that I sold) was a 1984 Aero 50 2-stroke, the other is a 1983 C70 with a 110 Lifan engine I swapped into it. I really like the looks of the BMW R65, especially in flat forest green and am thinking of getting one in the indefinite future. I've heard about the vibration and other issues but also that it's super comfortable to ride. The area I live in is extremely hilly with lots of winding roads.
I know it's a 650, but it is an older bike and I've been dinking around on scooters for a while so maybe I can handle that power.

Anyway, if you guys have suggestions for why I shouldn't go for this, or what I should be considering instead, I'd love to hear it.

This is pretty much perfect for a starter bike. ~50 HP, 4 stroke 2 cylinder engine isn't going to do anything unexpected, even if the engine is larger than a current gen optimal recommendation. I say go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
I will say that if you haven't owned a well-known sportsbike, be prepared to be treated like an rear end in a top hat, when similar actions in a car would be accepted. Example:

I'm in the HOV lane behind a truck going 60 MPH, which also happens to be the speed limit. I'm cruising along, when a Merc from out of nowhere zips around us. I have awhile to go on the freeway, so I figure what the hell, I'll zip around too. The truck allowed the Merc to do so, shouldn't have a problem with me right?

The SECOND I move a lane to the right, I accelerate to get around the truck. Truck says gently caress that, and accelerates to the speed of the Merc, which was doing like 90. I say gently caress this, and I get behind the truck, who is going 90 so I'm happy. However truck then slows to 60 and turns on his windshield wiper fluid with wipers going for a good 45 seconds. :wtc:

I run in to this poo poo about once a week on my r6, never once ran into it on my 89 Kawasaki EX500.