Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Z3n posted:

assrape fees

I'm ever so glad my state (UT) doesn't do this either. When I registered my bike I think it cost me all of about $45, including taxes. Plus we don't have to smog motorcycles. I think you can also retitle with just a bill of sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Z3n posted:

I want a streeted dual sport with 17s that's relatively cheap so bad, but it will NEVER happen in cali because of the absolute rape status of the loving DMV.

And they won't give me a race transportation permit for my trackbike, despite me printing out the relevant CA transportation codes. :argh:

I'm beginning to think I should offer goons a registry service, getting them a title and whatnot here so they can ride hott bieks wherever they may be without dealing with all their local bullshit. poo poo, I live 1.5 blocks from the DMV, I could walk down there.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Someone needs to buy this: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=4957875&cat=144&lpid=4 :hitler:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Jesus Christ, those Enfields are pretty. And there's a dealer about 10 miles from me. Luckily, I am not mechanically inclined enough to own one, so that will save me 5 grand down the road. ( :cry: )

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

sedated posted:

I'm looking to pick up a beginner bike for my wife and I wanted some opinions on these prize beauties (the only bikes cheap enough);

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-Kawasaki-KZ-250-Ltd-Street-Motorcycle-W0QQAdIdZ100462630

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-1977-Honda-CJ360T-W0QQAdIdZ102935790

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-82-honda-nighthawk-W0QQAdIdZ101122733

I like the idea of the Kawasaki KZ 250 because I could probably sell her scooter for at least that much, but I would also like something that she can start doing her own maintenance on without it being too difficult or expensive and obviously something that is going to be semi-reliable to get her to and from work in the summer.

How big is that Nighthawk? I have an '82 CB650, and the CB650SC is an identical bike mechanically with a different tank and seat/plastics. While a 650 is heavier than something like a 250, my CB is forgiving, not peaky, and easy to flatfoot (I'm a 5'6" female). I've had mine going on 10 years now, and it takes all the abuse I give it. Right at this moment, mine's sitting uncovered in the driveway with snow and ice on it, but when it thaws out I'll be able to go outside, pop a fresh battery in it and start it up with no problems.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

quote:

I don't have a good battery in it.
When you see it, you'll understand.
Drain tank, clean carbs, recover seat, fix broken exhaust,
repace tires etc. This is what needs doing.
It's like some sort of motorcycle haiku.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Oh, me in Salt Lake too. I'm not in the market for a new bike but I frequently check CL and KSL for poops and giggles. There's a couple of decent bikes for under $1500 on KSL right now, I'll post some links when I find them.

There's an MSF class coming up in March, you should contact these guys and get in: Utah Rider Education. Cost of the BRC is $180. I've been riding for a long time now and I just signed up for the BRC because I figured it couldn't hurt.

Edit:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=5555761&cat=144&lpid= The CX500 or GS450 would be decent
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=5551891&cat=144&lpid=2 Wants $2300 but if you showed up with 2k cash I bet he'd take it
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=5549122&cat=144&lpid=4 This is a little on the big side, but it's comparable to my CB650 and they're pretty forgiving bikes

That's just off the first couple of pages of KSL.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 10, 2009

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Since I've been riding the 650 for going on 10 years now, I'm curious to see what kind of shenanigans I'm going to get myself into on a light 250.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
There were a couple of good ones on ksl.com, just keep looking. The less in a rush you are, the more likely you are to wait until you find a really good deal.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

xREED LORD 420x posted:

I picked up a 85 Magna V45 with 12k miles, new paint and seat for $1800. Here's the photo from the previous owner;

I've taken the windshield off and I'm probably going to lose the sissybar but otherwise I'm pretty excited. Can't wait for MSF in a week or two.

Are you in the March 11/14/15 class? That's the one I signed up for.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

shaitan posted:

I'm thinking about getting this as my second bike: http://binghamton.craigslist.org/mcy/1061270786.html

Moving up from a 250, it's only a 500 so I should be ok right? Opinions anyone?

I dunno, you might get bored pretty quickly.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'd love to get something that looks like a Royal Enfield, but without hassle of a bike designed before my loving granda was born. Everyone posting about REs here says you spend more time fixing than riding. Great look though:

They do make them new, and they come with a warranty. Plus they're cheap as hell, starting at just over 5k: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/models/classic.html

If I had the money I would go get one yesterday, mechanicals be damned. I guess the upsdide to an engine designed 60 years ago is that they're not too complicated.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

However, as I'm cruising GS/CB CL ads, I see: "Honda CB650. This bike is perfect for beginners, or maybe for the wife or a child who's just starting out."

Lessee, 476lbs, 72hp, top speed 110mph. Perfect for the little lady? :psyduck:

Am I just a total fey twerp for starting with a 20hp bike, or is 72hp seem a bit much for "perfect for girly noobs!"
Actually, I wouldn't disagree with that statement too much. I ride an '82 CB650 (the last of the SOHCs). According to my manual the bike makes 68hp at 9k RPM. I think my speedo goes to 110. The bike isn't too much of a pig (something like 438lbs dry) but compared to your Rebel it will feel like the Battleship Potempkin.

However, the power curve on the 650 is really smooth. The bike is quite forgiving at low RPMs so it won't tear your arms out of your sockets from stoplights or stand up if you accidentally goose the throttle when you hit a pothole. Conversely, mine will happily do 75mph in 4th gear on the freeway without even approaching redline. Fastest I've gone on mine is 85 and that's only because that was the speed at which I started to poo poo my pants. The seat height is low enough that I can easily flatfoot the bike, and I'm 5'6". So yes, I would recommend it as a good first bike for a smaller gent or normal-sized lady as long as the person was responsible and had a healthy respect for the dangers of motorcycling.

Should you find a good deal on one, don't be afraid to look at it. I paid $500 for mine from the original owner and she was in fine shape. There's one for sale here locally for $1950, but I think that's a bit overpriced (he hasn't been able to sell it). The only downside to the 650's is that they only made them for 4 years, and the stuff on the '79 is pretty different from the rest of the models. Parts/mods for the 650 aren't as common as for the 750 or 500/550. But I can still find parts for mine pretty easily. They're not flashy nor given as much to the supar dupar moddin' crew, but they are the epitome of a standard standard.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Found an ad on Craigslist. Apparently some fellow is cleaning out his storage unit full of old bikes. And I do mean old. He's got a 60-something YDS3 for $100 and apparently several 60's 305 Superhawks in pieces (but complete). I do believe I'm going up there come Sunday and buying one. I already emailed him and received a reply.

Will this end in tears? I know the Superhawks still have parts available. I'd buy the Yammy but since 8ender already has one I figure I'd be different :v: If I can't put it back together I figure I can always sell the parts for a lot more than $100.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I thought about the Yam, but I believe the 'hawks are 4-strokes and I'm waaaay too lazy to deal with mixing.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

talking_head posted:

Hey everyone,

I'm a beginning rider and looking to buy a cheaper probably used motorcycle. I've narrowed it down to two options: the Suzuki GZ250, or the Kawasaki Ninja 250R.

Here's my question: I'm a fat guy. I'm 5'10", and 240 lbs. I understand that at my weight, a 250cc bike might feel like a go-kart, but I'm a beginning rider and plan to stay off the highway for a little while.

Would you guys recommend the sportbike, or the cruiser-type?

Here are pics for reference:

Ninja 250r

GZ250

Well, what kind of bike do you want to ride? A cruiser or sportbike? If you don't know, go to a dealer and sit on some different styles of bikes and find what's most comfortable for you. If you've got a big belly you might find the sportbike uncomfortable with the tank digging into your gut :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

8ender posted:

I think you might find an old bike to be ideal to learn on because they aren't as sophisticated as a modern bike. That said the lack of sophistication sometimes means doing things like points

I think the CXs had CDI. So that's one less thing to worry about.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
There's a guy around here that rides some cruiser, not sure what type. I keep meaning to get a picture of him. He probably weighs as much as that guy except he rides around in business clothing with no helmet.

I call him Max Preload :3:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'd say fire it up and run it for a few, then dump some stabil into the tank so you don't come back to gloopy carbs when you are ready to ride it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Stoic Commie posted:

Thanks! Now over to wade through the gear thread :zombie:

Side note, the handlebars are backwards clubmans and I love them :haw:

I bought a set of clubmans and they wouldn't fit over my trees so I mounted them upside down. They look pretty good. As I also discovered when I did find some clubmans that fit over the trees, they don't make my throttle sticky as hell due to bends in the cables and don't kill my back.