Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
i have a 95 f650 and its pretty fast up to 70, will do 100mph flat out but its not nice, 80 is about as fast as its comfortable to. it'll out accelerate 99% of cars. and it'll only wheelie if you're trying or if you dump the clutch in first.
very comfy bike, very maneuverable, good mpg.
you have to keep the revs up to make smooth power, it lugs a bit at low rpm but its no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Orange Someone posted:

If you're going to do that, then you'd make drat sure you get a loan without a fixed payment schedule or an early repayment penalty. But I can't see any reason why it would screw up your credit rating. It might not do anything good to your credit rating (that's a wierd one, normally getting better when you've paid back on time but there are some really wierd variables in there) but it wouldn't make it worse (you're not going to be late in any payments). Only problem I could see is if you're trying to recoup most of your original payment, you may not want to buy a brand new car as the depreciation may be too much for the budget, and you'd lose 10% of the money straight off.

Moving on towards me, I passed my test a month or so ago, DAS course, Britain, so there's no limit on what bike I can ride (apart from finacials). I've stuck with my Honda XR125L for the moment because it's bloody cheap to run and I'm fairly poor atm, but I've just got a new job. I don't want anything too big (insurance and fuel economy), something 600 would probably be the top end, although the SV650 is definitely a possibility, and I'm 6'4" (in case some of the bikes are too small) so there's nothing really too big.

Budget will be about £2000, hopefully £1500.

However, I'm wavering between two options. Either something like mine but with a bigger engine (I love the riding position and the visibility though I don't do much (any) offroad atm, so XR650R or F650GS type machine). Other option is something similar to the bike I did my test on (Suzuki GS500) which would seem to be better for long distances than the dualsport option. I do like the naked/standard look, and I've been told the ER-5 is a good machine, a friend of mine has a CB400 which is a nice machine.

Can anyone recomend any other models? Preferably a bit more recent, I'm not hot on the wrenching side and it will be a bike for commuting so something reliable would be nice.

I'm not sure a gs500 would be any more comfortable for long haul driving than an f650. mine is really comfy for long drives, loads of leg room, space to move around to take pressure off muscles. the GS500 would maybe be a bit smoother in the 80+mph range.
Also on street biased tyres they are dual sport pretty much in name only so i wouldnt worry about not taking them offroad, the ergos and suspension make them easier to manage on poor surfaces than standard bikes but traction will become an issue pretty fast on anything other than dirt/forestry roads

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

shaitan posted:

A guy I work with has an 89 CBR600 that he is trying to get rid of. He originally wanted $750 but he'll take $500. I am pretty sure it was downed at one point, the fairings have been rattle can spray painted (horribly he said) and it hasn't been ridden in probably 5-6 years. He told me he took care of it well when he did ride it, and it was running when he put it away, it just won't start now (carbs I would guess)

I'm thinking of picking it up after I take a look at it, I'd like to make sure there isn't much damage to the fairings and such. Although, if I do get it I'll probably go for the streetfighter look and spend a year rebuilding everything and bringing it up to snuff. So I am looking at this as a project bike.

I've only been riding for a few months now and I'm not ready to jump up to the bigger bike yet, but after another season on the 250 I think I'll be ready.

So, this sound like a good deal? $500 for a non-starting 89 CBR600?

i think free would be a better price, if its been laid up without proper prep for 5-6 years you'll probably have a lot of really small annoying things to do to get it running. carbs, rotted orings and seals, tyres, brakes....

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Stoic Commie posted:

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/906751980.html

How's this for a first bike? He says it only needs a new cellunoid, but he has the part and I just have to install it.

All the other deals I keep finding are getting bought out before I can blink.

if all it needs is to have a solenoid fitted (cellunoid wtf), which he has, to make it work I'd be asking why he hasn't done it and just sell a working bike.
I'd steer clear unless you can go over there and bump start the bike and it runs.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Orange Someone posted:

You have to replace your helmet if it ever comes into contact (not just resting it on the ground of course) with the floor, and I'd hate to have to do that with a 100+ quid helmet.
Not unless your head is in it when it does, or something of equivalent weight, a short fall off a table or off the seat of your bie does not in any way warrant a new helmet. unless you're anal about wearing scruffy gear.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bhyo posted:

Picked this up a week ago. I am absolutely in love with it. The only thing I have a problem with is the stock exhaust being so quiet, any suggestions on what to replace them with thats available in the UK?

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1078x716 image.

any aftermarket exhaust is going to make that bike sound sweet, blueflames are nice and cheapish, if you take out both baffles they're pretty loud too.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

KozmoNaut posted:

Makes me wonder what people think of the stock Bandit suspension. It seems fine to me, even though it's probably on the softer side, it seems to settle quickly.

it is also notoriously poo poo, but the bandit is heavier than the sv and just plods along.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

epalm posted:

What actually happened to mootmoot, for those of us who are (relatively) new to this fine subforum.

He crashed a couple of times, it seems?

He posted a video of him falling off while failing to negotiate a mild left turn, and failing to beat a boy racer in a roll-on race. Then a mildly amusing bit of mockery snowballed into the biggest HURRR I'M FUNNY fest as everyone persisted in dragging his name up whenever anything vaguely stupid was done.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

the walkin dude posted:

I saw the DRZ tonight. The rear sprocket and chain were rusty, but lubed enough. The seller said he used toilet cleaner to clean them and then lubed them after. Weird. I rode it around in the rain a while. The lack of a tachometer was certainly disconcerting, and I kept killing the engine from a stop because of that. I liked the bike but didn't love it. The power wasn't awesome enough for me. I think I'm craving that immediate kick in the rear end that the 14/47-sprocketed SV gives.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/3036474258.html get that instead.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

mootmoot posted:

Really helpful, thanks. Been looking at the reviews and they all say that they're great for being a rudeboy, low maintance, crash well but don't do 70mph+/an hour on them which is exactly what I need.

Just got to find a decent second-hand one now.

Look at wr250x's as well. similar in power/speed to the drz but fuel injected and have a 6 speed box.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
What is the vintage computer/space heater worth to you? because i wouldn't take that bike as a project unless it was free.

edit: I think I remember reading that Cali will expect someone (you) to pay all the back registration fees aswell

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ashex posted:

For sport bikes, I've found a couple in my range:
'06 Hyosung gt650r
'02 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Neither of those are sportsbikes fwiw, just tarted up standards.
Hyosungs arent up to the same standards as Japanese bikes yet, the gt650 is just a copy of the sv650, the katana is a big heavy oil/air cooled bandit with fairings.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

the walkin dude posted:

Which Japanese I-4 literbike has the best engine for a mixture of city and suburb riding, with occasional rural outings? The goal is to turn said literbike naked and pop a dirtbike bar on. I know the 636 has it sold for the 600-class, but I'm not sure about the literbike class.

1990s Fireblades are probably the most commonly streetfightered litrebikes over here.
Here's my buddys one although its very far from just just a set of renthals slapped on it, he's more informed on the whole topic, he might chime in here.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is another friends z1000, its a bit busy for my taste but its a nice bike. Has a ridiculous amount of money gone into it, loads of zx9 engine internals, 636 front end, quickshifter and tons of other poo poo

edit: i think thess are newer pics, front end and swingarm are different

echomadman fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 23, 2012

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nerobro posted:

They're great bikes. But they're insanely hard to get parts for. Especially the ones that make it a "nice" bike. You can't buy carb needles or emulsion jets.

i have 3 mint in box bandit 400 emulsion jets in my toolbox, i bought them 6 years ago and could never get a 4th

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Saga posted:

If you're old enough you can have any capacity bike, but only once you do your full bike test. This typically takes months to do and these days maybe about a grand(?) in tuition and bike rental. Car drivers can ride a 125 on L plates once they do a one or two day basic training course. The number of people doing this so they can use a scooter or 125 for commuting tends to drive up 125 prices.

They do keep changing the law, mostly to discourage motorcyclists as far as I can see. But it seems like he is not old enough to go straight to a full licence, hence the intermediate 25kw restriction.

You can also get a lot of the middleweight 500-650s in a factory restricted version. Once you pass your full test you can get the unrestricted ecu and go to full power.
There should be plenty second hand restricted SVs and ER6s around

The disadvantage is you're hauling around all the weight of a bike thats supposed to have 50-70hp with 33hp.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

My financial sense says "don't finance a bike, ever" but the Duke 690...is a hell of a thing.

Screw your financial sense, someone has to buy new bikes to keep the future second hand market alive.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Do it and have the CCT checked by a good mechanic or maybe a priest given your track record.
At least with a supertanker like the ZZR you'll have a good excuse for blowing u-turns

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

That 97 has a holeshot exhaust on it, which is one of the better ones for the bandit, if its been jetted accordingly (sounds like it is if the airbox has been modded) it should be pretty smooth. http://www.holeshot.com/bandit/bndt_b12_stage1mod.shtml
The popping is normal as long as its not really excessive, if its very bad it can probably it can be tuned out anyway.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

and I'd ask why he replaced the wheels.

Those are stock SM wheels

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

HotCanadianChick posted:

Thanks for bringing idiotic IRC drama to the forums. The mods love that, you know.

I bought the bike because it had comfortable ergos and I got a good deal on it. I would have been equally happy with a 500cc bike, provided I could find one that wasn't a cramped sportbike with clipons, but finding one of those used is like finding a unicorn around here. Even the huge local Honda dealer has only gotten in one of the new CB500Fs, but they've gotten in and sold around a dozen of the CB500Rs.

IRC DRAMA :lol: you were the classic goon in a well with that bike purchase and you're butthurt that we tease you about it.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

MotoMind posted:

True, I just promised myself to have less poo poo and not do that thing where I buy a bike and set up my own supply chain for it.

I think an exception should be made for Italian bikes, its not like Piaggio are going to supply you with parts in an affordable, timely manner.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

The solution is for n8r etc. to ignore garbage posts and noob questions entirely, not make a few useless sarcastic jabs that contribute nothing to anyone but also waste space.

Sarcastic jabs and the resultant hurt feelings make the threads more amusing for the rest of us, i posit that you and any others who find his posting tedious put him on ignore instead of wading in every time with a torrent of HURR STOP SHITPOSTING shitposts.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

HotCanadianChick posted:

So I'm already eye-banging replacement bikes and one of my considerations is a lightly used 2008+ BMW F800R or GS. Anyone know how reliable they are and how bad repair part costs are likely to be? I will be using it to commute to/from work daily, year round, and while I don't mind an bit of an increase in scheduled maintenances over my departed Yamaha, no-starts and other major failures are a big no-no.

The GS will handle kerbs better

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Not a bike but you get a few go karts thrown in
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpptBp5ga0Q/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lungboy posted:

Supermotos like the KLX and DRZ aren't available in the UK and it makes me sad.

What?
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/motorcycles/suzuki/dr-z400

edit, drat I didnt realise they'd stopped importing them to the UK so long ago

echomadman fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 28, 2021