Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I'm looking to get a new bike to daily drive. I've put 20k miles down in about three years, so I'm not worried about experience or engine size or anything like that. My budget is around $3500. I've been looking at a kawasaki councours, a yamaha fj1100, a honda vfr, or a bmw k100. These are all the sport tourers i can think of offhand that would fit my price range. I've even considered a goldwing, but they're just so goddamn huge.
If you like the look of the old Concours, go for it. An ST1100 may be something to look at if you can find one in your price range. I absolutely love that V4 engine and I think they look a lot better, but that's personal preference.

8ender posted:

The CX500 was a cool bike because it was like a Guzzi without the wallet crushing unreliability. Other than that I'm not sure of the reliability or ease of repairs on older Hondas.
THe CX/GLs were pretty reliable but did have weak water pumps and the charging system was known to go flakey from time to time. (weak water pump as in leak - mine never failed). I rode one for several years as a DD. A stripper CX is a great 1st bike IMHO, and if you can find a Silverwing in decent shape they make a phenomenal "practical" bike for around town with the luggage and fairing if you can stomach the old man look. A little underpowered and buzzy for hours of 70MPH driving but they can certainly do it.

Personally, I've always wanted to find a wrecked CX500T/CX650T and transplant it into a silverwing. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Z3n posted:

2003 Kawasaki ZZR1200. Worth a look, very underrated bikes, 160hp, 520 pounds dry, big fuckoff touring rig but sporty enough to hustle down a tight road.
I'll be picking mine up in a week or 2.

You don't see those too often. The new Concours replaced those, right? What's the riding position like?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

dietcokefiend posted:

Also projector lighting is magical
Fixed.

You can get fantastic cutoff out of a halogen projector just fine too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

Well, looks like the Wing sold too. I'll have to see if the Shadow is still available. Thanks for the patient help though, I really appreciate it.

I found a place nearby that sells used bikes. They have a n 82 GS750E, and an 82 GR650 Tempter. The 750 seems pretty sharp.

This might be a bit smaller than you're thinking of, but it's a decent deal for a first basic bike - especially if you can talk him down even more.

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-Kawasaki-440cc-obo-W0QQAdIdZ134112167

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

Emailed him. Thanks for the heads up. How are you doing? I didn't know you rode.
No sweat. I didn't know you were getting into it. :)

I've ridden off and on since I was a kid. I've had an ST1100 for about 4 years now. Here is it sans luggage while it was sleeping a winter or two ago.

Actually, now that I think of it I might have a relative in St. Albert getting rid of a mid 80s Suzuki GS-something. I'll fire them an email and see if they still have it if you like?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Gnomad posted:

Dammit!

Where was this guy when I had money?

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mcy/1212559726.html

"**Honda CX 500 Turbo** - $2800 (South Anchorage)
I've had my eyes open for one of those for years, and still would. I would prefer a 650 but beggers can't be choosers.

Good thing its a 4 thousand miles away

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

Nice bike! Yeah, definitely get ahold of them.. Thanks! I'm looking to get something in the next week or so, for under $2k if possible. I've got a bud that's got an old KZ400 that I might get, but let me know about the GS. I'd really prefer something over 500cc's if possible. I'm a big guy.

I'll get a hold of them and fire you a PM. It's an aunt/uncle I don't speak to regularly, but they're super good people. IIRC, they bought a BMW and were looking to get rid of their old Suzuki, but that was about a year-ish ago. It wasn't a super small bike - 750 I think.

I'll let you know.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

8ender posted:

Yamaha two strokes of that generation are pretty forgiving to get running. There is a big area between "running" and "goes like stink" that you can spend a lot of time getting right though.
I remember an IT465 I had for a short while that I bought with a friend. It was an incredible PITA to get tuned to run well... but when it did holy poo poo hold the gently caress on.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bucephalus posted:

Suzuki Savage 650? My wife's uncle just bought an '02, and I must've eyeballed the drat thing for a good 5 minutes before I realized it was a single.

I had one of those as a daily rider for about 3 months many years ago. As far as a single goes, it was actually pretty decent and being a 650 a reasonable size. Not my cup of tea but you could certainly do worse.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Phy posted:

Keeping my options open, I'm gonna go look at a GS650L tomorrow, is there anything GS-specific I should know aside from the regular stuff to check?

E: also holy cow RZ350 outta nowhere

I PMd this to Drakerider earlier, but it sounds like he's fixed up so I'll post it for you since you don't seem to be too far away.

http://lethbridge.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-1983-GR-650-Tempter-W0QQAdIdZ133788248

quote:

983 Suzuki Tempter,44k,New exaust,Battery,tires.Runs well.currently registered.$1600 OBO.Good starter bike displays what gear you are in.Interesting trades considered.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I know I've seen tons of those on the back bumpers of RVs for people to cruise around town/campgrounds that they're visiting.

I actually think they're somewhat collectible, if not super valuable.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

Still waiting for my free bike, browsing on Kijiji found me this:

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-1978-honda-cb-550-W0QQAdIdZ140223284

It looks great to me. Any input from the UJM guys?
Hey human being, buy that loving Suzuki before you buy that! :colbert:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'll take a look at it and buy it for you if need be.....

and then ride it up there and take the funds out of your girlfriends rear end.

Edit: Or moms.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dry rot with rubber and nitrile is certainly a possible issue with any old bike, but that one appears in fantastic shape and likely stored either covered or indoors which certainly helps (UV accelerates and worsens the issue).

Any bike over 10 years old can have issues, but I'd certainly be interested in it as it looks super clean from the photos. He appears to be some sort of old school vehicle guy too based on the cars in the driveway.

Check it out!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The rust might come out, depends how deep it is. It'll probably always be discolored a bit, but really, those factory pipes always seemed to discolor a bit anyhow.

Personally, I think 1400 is a bit high but I admit I'm not familiar with those so I cant say... and I certainly am not a carb wizard. I know enough to get into trouble but I certainly will defer expertise or advice to those here that know their poo poo better than me. :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Probably around between $7500-ish would probably be fair. Actually, at his KMs probably no more than that.

Phy, depending on how modern you want to go there seems to be a shitload of quality medium displacement bikes for sale a little further south than you. Not too many really new ones (other than cruisers) but lots of 1980-2000 standards, sport bikes, even the odd sport tourer.

Might want to look at Kijiji and Craigs for Lethbridge and the Hat.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

There is an early 80s XS1100 literally around the corner from my house. It appears to be in quite nice shape from my quick drive-by. If you're interested in something along those lines, I could get you some info.

Looks like this, except with all the body panels and I think it was re-painted to sort of a candy-apple.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

niethan posted:

If you're over when you get your license 25 you can ride as big as you want from the beginning, I'm 24 now so I need to ride smaller ones for two years until i'm 26, which is kinda silly.
They actually penalize you if you get a years experience? That's pretty hosed up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, I got to the Honda dealer in a neighboring city to pick up a couple parts I ordered for the ST1100 and on my way in to the parts counter I walk by something I've never seen before. Turns out they're not just a Honda dealer.

In front me, incredibly strategically placed is a brand new 2009 Moto Guzzi Norge. Grey-ish in color and looks like one classy beast IMHO.

I find myself actually considering it.

Can someone here put me back in my senses and tell me how crazy an idea it is please?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

n8r posted:

Go read the Guzzi forums and see how unreliable new Guzzis are.

Really? :ohdear:
That's a quick and easy way to rule one out then. As an ST owner, I'll likely never own another bike that needs anything other than routine maintenance. It's tough to go back.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Did BMW ever get their final drive bearing issues sorted out? That alone has stopped me from even considering recent BMWs if nothing else.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Wasn't there a lot of people with seriously early failures though? Like at 10K early?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

infraboy posted:

Just because a few Honda CBR 1000RRs burned oil doesn't mean they all do. :)

Yes it does.

Not, but seriously I thought it was a really early failure. Glad it wasn't and I must have just misunderstood.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

$1000 asking price? Hell ya.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

KARMA! posted:

You don't outgrow bikes! Arghhhh

I disagree. :colbert:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ziploc posted:

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=299714703

Please tell me this is a really really bad idea.

Please.

I think they're decent little bikes. Keep in mind that's a US spec bike, not that it should make much of a difference.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

bike
How comfortable would you be with the 850?

Reason I ask is that there are a couple of CB900F for sale on Kijiji, both appear gorgeous and need nothing. Asking price is certainly more than the GS but they are almost legendary bikes. They're asking too much imho, but who knows how much you can get them for as they've been for sale for some time.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-1981-Honda-CB900F-SuperSport-W0QQAdIdZ294563457

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-touring-1982-Honda-CB-W0QQAdIdZ296884576

These are not light bikes and might be on the big side for a novice rider. Your physical size would help though.

Give any thought to a more modern bike or do you have a hard on for 80s standards?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 27, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My Spirit Otter posted:

I live in a province of straight, flat roads. I love the look of Harley Night Rod Specials and was wondering if anyone had experience with them and could tell me if they are worth it or not

I'd be lying through my loving teeth if I said I didn't want to ride the hell out of this at least once.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-2008-Harley-Davidson-Night-Rod-Turbo-W0QQAdIdZ302141494

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

qutius posted:

My good buddy's step-dad has been fixing up a 1982 Honda CX 500 and mentioned he wanted to sell it soon. Nice to see some other chatter about these things on this page! The guy has been a family friend for quite some time and a true wizard when it comes to all type of engines. His original asking price was $1000 and I know next to nothing about bikes, but I know he wouldn't rip me off...especially when I'll be turning right around and asking him for help if I want work done! ;)

Anyways, I had a couple questions which hopefully fit in with this thread. First, when having my first look at this bike tomorrow, what should I be paying attention to as far as things/areas to check for known issues and/or wear/tear? A coworker mentioned looking at the wiring to see if anyone has been hacking into it over the years, so there's a place to start, along with the tidbits up the page.

I know he's replaced a few things and the bike comes with decent tires on it. There was an oil leak which he was going to fix and I intend to ask the details about that. What other questions would be wise to pass his way, based on this year/make of motorcycle?
It could be a good buy. The CX motors are bullet proof. They had a bit of history of charging system issues and their waterpumps like to leak (they are liquid cooled if you didn't know).

Other than that, check the basic stuff and see how often he serviced it or did any basic maintenance. Slow, weak and buzzy, but pretty reliable. You could defintely do worse for a city bike.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Z3n posted:

Check / change the final drive oil if it hasn't been done.

Mines not too buzzy...then again, coming off a sumo so I'm probably calibrated a little funny.

To be clear, buzzy only at highway speeds. Perfectly serviceable around town.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

clutchpuck posted:

A friend of mine is riding around on an old CX500 and it did fine at 70-80 cruising speeds on a 500ish mile road trip we took last weekend. Seems to handle interstate without issues.

Christ, I had a GL500 which is a hell of a lot more suited to highway driving than a CX and anything over about 60 wasn't enjoyable. Could it do it? Sure. It could probably even do 90, but it wasn't fun.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Edit: Copied copied from ST thread but makes more sense here.

A little bit of input.
I'm really torn on a couple of bikes.

I found a virtually brand new, showroom condition ABS/Traction control 2010 Concours in that sexy blue with only 1500KMs (less than 1K miles) for a good deal. It's also about 1000 KMs away from me... which equates to about $300 in airfare or drive the truck and throw it in the back.

I also found a 2007 ABS FJR in virtually identical condition that I could probably get for about $2500 less. It has 4500KMs (give or take). It also has the bonus of being only about 2 hours away.

I'm really torn. I know the 2010 Concours that was tweaked to address the complaints about the redesign has had really good reviews... as in, usually in the running for top sport tourer. The ABS and traction control in particular are supposed to be phenomenal.

That said, the FJR is a little more mature and no slouch. Usually 2nd in a few of the comparos I've seen and it's a great bike too for all intents and purposes.

The money isn't really a huge deal for me, but I'd be lying if I said it had ZERO weight.

I am curious as to thoughts between the two. Especially from people that have first hand knowledge with them.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 24, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Raven457 posted:

Get the Connie.

Agreed. Made an offer on it. We'll see how it goes. :ohdear:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

FWIW, I'll also have to say the Savage is a decent enough bike. I rode one for about a month many years ago. Nothing is coming to mind that I really disliked. It didn't have tons of power by any stretch but it was competent in town and should be OK at most sane highway speeds. IIRC it was very tame to handle so you could certainly do worse for a first bike.

Price does seem a bit high even for Canada, but I can't say I've ever really tried to buy one. I think the bike market back east is generally a little higher than out west. Might be worthwhile offering $3000-ish if you really like it and see if he bites. That might be fair.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Agree with ^^

The whole parts availability and pricing thing could make a cheap purchase price bite you in the rear end pretty quickly.

That said, I have a bit of a morbid curiosity about the whole hyosung thing.

Edit: There are really good deals to be had on used bikes, even in Canada, especially at this time of year.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

GanjamonII posted:

I have a buddy with a hyosung 250 in Australia and he hasn't had any issues with his in the 2 years or so he's owned it. I don't think they're as bad as they're made out to be.

I don't think anyone is saying they're necessarily bad (at least I'm not), just that any savings in purchasing price can be pretty rapidly outdone by being a royal pain in the rear end in other ways.

I've seen a few around town here too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

'tis true, but it fairness I find it especially differential for newer bikes where the grotesque difference in MSRP is still most noticeable between the two countries.

It generally gets pretty leveled out as the bikes age unless there is some bizarre regional thing going on. For example, I've noticed that Alberta/BC are typically cheaper than the same bike in the East.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

GanjamonII posted:

Wow Canadian insurance is crazy. I thought I was getting reamed on my sv... but its going to cost me less to insure a Tuono than a 600cc cruiser..

$168/yr for my 2010 Concours 1400.

god i'm old

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

StrppngYoungLad posted:

Do y'all think this is a good deal?

http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/2600783819.html

The "sat for 3 years, hesitates @ 5k" part worries me but if it just needs a little love I'm thinking it could end up being a steal.

I love these ads:

quote:

I'm sure a tank of gas and some seafoam and it'll be good to go.
So why the gently caress don't you do it then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

All dumps are "low speed" according to whomever is trying to sell it. :v:

$3300 for a '94 with body damage? I'd pass personally.