Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Do you have any info on it? Thats a pretty swell price for an SV.

The 1st gen SV is pretty awesome. As far as a beginner bike goes, your right for it being possibly to much, possibly perfect. I started my street riding on one, and took it easy until I built up some skill and confidence.

The engine is pretty tame if you control your wrist a bit. If you can flat foot it comfortably, you probably wont drop it unless you really mess up a low speed maneuver. If you have some self control and approach motorcycling responsibly, you'll find the SV can make a great beginners bike and with some skill can be a very fast, very fun bike. I thought I was going to ride mine for a year or two and get rid of it, but I quickly realized its everything I want in a street bike and can't imagine parting with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Of course, love isn't always logical :)

See: Counter argument

"Clackity-Clackity-Clackity-Clackity-Clackity"

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

niethan posted:

Having so much clearence over the rear wheel looks retarded

sit on it.

fixed.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Well thanks a lot fuckers. Damnit.

The Sport 1000 is the pretty one anyway. GT 1000 is the old man version

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I hope so. The GT 1000 is rad (I'm thinking about picking up a sport classic next spring...)

the Sport 1000 is just... radder. Though exponentially less practical.

Click here for the full 1280x852 image.

Edit: Thumbed

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 10, 2009

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The DRZ S (dual sport model) does a lot better on the highways than the SM does (which is what most of the talk here is about).

The seat isnt comfy, which will probably bother your bottom. Lots of solutions exist for this. The DRZ can be rigged to carry quite a bit, tons of accessories exist for this pupose.

Advantage, you can pick up a S model dirt cheap. As far as years go, doesn't really matter. If it's made since 2000 I'm pretty sure they are all identical.

The engines can go for a long time, I mett a guy here in Seattle who had an S model with 80k+ miles on it, just changing fluids.

That said, no windscreen, tiny tank, no fairing... highways arent the most fun on a DRZ. You'll learn to take back roads and love it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Edit: I'm retarded.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 10, 2009

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Kallikrates posted:

So on the above drz I'm probably buying I'm making a list of stuff that needs to get done. So far I have checking the tires and oil (probably chaining the oil), I'm thinking I also need to change the brake fluid and check the brake lines. Check the chain for rust/lube.. Is there anything else I should do?

Oil change for sure, check the brake fluid yes, check the pads (DRZ's *can* eat pads, mine didnt, but people say they do sometimes), check chain health/tension.

Then pull the seat off and see if the airbox has been modded. If it hasn't, do the 3x3 mod.

Toss the useless stock air filter for a K&N.

Now rejett, or be super manly and ebay yourself a FCR39 carb.

Also recommend you to go thumpertalk's marketplace and buy yourself a set of case savers. DRZ's crash, and the shift lever/brake lever smashes into the engine case and if your unlucky it gets costly fast.

Edit: Also: http://www.supermotoracer.com/SMR%20Tech%20stories/iss2_backitin.pdf

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 29, 2009

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'll let the experts chime in on bikes that have been sitting a while, but that could be quite the deal waiting for someone to snatch up.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Beware I think 2003 is the last year the DRZ's had timing chain adjuster failures. You may double check. Either they fixed it in 03 or it was the last year it was a problem, but thumpertalk sells a manual adjuster.

Anyway you cut it that DRZ is going to fire up pretty easy, if you have to clean the tank, carb, no biggie. That engine will outlive us all.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

^^^^^^^^

:whip: purple wheels

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

redscare posted:

You don't need more than one pair of gloves, not when you're starting out anyway. Just make sure that whatever pair you buy fits you great. If you hands are on a tweener size, go to the bigger one. I bought slightly too small gloves and they end up hurting after a long ride. You can get touring crap later if you end up needing it.

Raiding the close-out section on newenough is a great way to get a full set of gear cheap, especially if you already have a lid.

I'd add to this, buy gauntlet style gloves. There are a lot of shorter fit gloves that feel great to wear and don't restrict movement too much, but they'll do a lot less for you in a crash. Your risking your wrist skin and they are generally made from thinner material. If you only have one pair of gloves to buy, make them big and armored.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I dunno, I might hold out for a DRZ. It is the most fun starter bike ever. Don't worry too much about the hooligan aspect, temptation is one thing but learning on a DRZ is just a great experience all around.

Don't send yourself into financial ruin for it, but if you can hold out a bit (especially as its winter), and wait for a deal, you can pick up a SM for 3k-3.5k. Start searching forums more than craiglist and it'll happen.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Height can be an issue if you can't flat foot it... advantages are numerous though...

- Cheap to crash. Practically indestructible.
- Fantastic turning radius. Like, figure 8's in parking spaces.
- Lightweight. Hard to drop, easy to pick up, tons of confidence.
- Suspension allows you to get away with anything. Accidentally hit a huge pot hole? No sweat. Accidentally drive straight over a round-about? No problem.

But really I'd say the biggest argument for starting on a supermoto is fun. A Ninja 250 is a great starter bike, but a DRZ-400 is instant and forever love. Supermoto's are a hilarious blast of constant fun. I wish I would have started on one rather than an SV.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

What is the power like between the DRZ400 and a KLR650? The HP figures look about the same, I think, but is the gearing terribly different? The KLR isn't slow, but it isn't anything near what I would have guessed a DRZ400 is like from everything I've heard.

DRZ's are far from being rocket ships. Anything below about 50 miles an hour they are very snappy and are happy as a clam. At about 50 power starts to trail off a bit, but still comfortable up to about 65 where you notice the top end starting to wane and you start to run out of gearing.

I've never ridden a KLR but around town actual speed would seem to have very little too do with it.

There are rides I'll go on with my DRZ and my KTM 690, both supermotos, where the DRZ is distinctly faster. Mainly where the road is super super tight where the DRZ is very comfortable going 5-40 MPH. The KTM at those speeds has too much power and torque and you have to baby it a bit.

So basically, around town it'll come down more to size, ergonomics and the confidence of the DRZ over the KLR. I have no doubt that the KLR is the faster bike if you were taking off from a stop and heading up to freeway speed, but on a twisty road or back alley, the KLR is going to be very much in your way if your following on a DRZ.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I dunno, I just bought a Ducati and, well, I highly recommend it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I've always had a soft spot for the 900 SS, it's a really cool looking bike. I normally scoff at the square old school headlight style but I think it pulls it off with a lot of class. Plus, you are absolutely right about the sound factor, and the 900 SS sounds as amazing as you'd expect.

I met a local who's owned 4 of them, sells them off after a season or two then rescues and fixes up another neglected one. Swears up and down about their build quality. I say go for it.

Edit: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=1558

Go there to get yourself worked up.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 22, 2009

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gnomad posted:

This is what started the sickness

the Ducati makes that wonderful guttaral harmony and those pipes were awesome and horrible and made that harmony like I have never heard another bike sing.

I've decided my Streetfighter is a 4 piece band.

You have the dry clutch whining and clattering, the pipes laying the bass track, the desmo valves clacking, and at 6,500 RPM the timing belt starts it's high pitched song.

It's a glorious experience. I've got the sickness bad.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

redscare posted:

The ugly gives it character :colbert:

What a mom thing to say.

400+ pounds means it's not a supermoto, it's a supermoto-like vehicle.

Like the Hypermotard. If you like how you sit on a supermoto, but don't really like wheelies or stoppies or jumps or sliding around or any of the cool stuff, it's the bike for you.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

I'm thinking of getting a new bike. I want something big and orange, what do you recommend?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=3#post371073688

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

"Now as a woman I dont need it"

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

KTM anything

KTM's are owned by just the worst kinds of people.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Considering what 5k will get you in todays bike market, that seems quite high.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Check those tires before you go out and stretch it's legs. They could be old and worthless.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

It's fine from a beginner bike standpoint, it's just more maintenance intensive, more expensive to service, etc, and parts are less available, aftermarket is less extensive, and parts are more expensive.

Ola posted:

Perfectly good beginner bike in my opinion. You can pick the nits about age, maintenance and so on, but at some point the heart has to take over. By the one which makes you drool the most.

These are both wise responses and fit very well together.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I'm pretty interested in this but the price seems just a little high. Would it be fair to offer less (around 1500) or what are some things I can use to knock chunks of the price off while inspecting it?

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/mcy/1651562931.html

For one, it has obvious fire damage.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

infraboy posted:

Dumb but interesting question: What bike would you guys buy used or new between $5000 - $6000?

If I had 5k to spend on a bike right now...

It would probably come down to a coin toss between getting a KTM 450 SMR or an kitted out adventure bike.

Then, with good intentions and dreams of far away places dancing in my head... at the last moment I'd turn around and get the KTM 450 SMR and wad the poo poo out of it at the supermoto track repeatedly every weekend and never stop loving it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

Eh . . . Modify_Evolution's is a lot of fun around town, but I don't think I'd want to spend extended amounts of time at highway speeds with it. Oil consumption for one, and the general lack of power.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum: General lack of power >

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Regular rebuilds on the KTM 690?

I've got almost 8k trouble free miles on mine. Never heard of anybody having a blown issue, anywhere really.

The 690 is not a high-maintenance bike by any means. At least not when you get the the SMC (08+).

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Saga posted:

I was assuming the 690 SMC was similar to the old SMCs - limited oil capacity, relatively fragile and not really up to road use. If not, what's the SMC v. the SM, aside from plastic?

Naw, you are right about the older generations of SMC's. Basically race bikes with plates. With the 690 series of engines KTM took a much more reliable approach. They are pretty bulletproof engines (and bikes). Now it's the SMR's that are the high strung bombs.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

All but once when one of my bikes has been down someone else has been riding it. One time was totally me.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

I'd make sure he still has the stock pipes around, and if not, price accordingly. Unless you're a giant fag, a bike with loud pipes gets very annoying, very quickly.

:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJYPxWjyg5w

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

There is no such thing as a factory streetfighter, but even if there was, there's only two bikes that would fit the description: RSV Tuono and K1300R. The Speed Triple hasn't ever been based off a sportsbike. It's just a nakedbike.

I...uh... what?

Ducati Streetfight... I assure you it exists

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I know it exists. Ducati can call it whatever they like, but it's not a fighter.

Because? A fighter is a bike you build yourself out of a sport bike you've ruined? Wheres the definition your using coming from.

Stripped sport bike chassis with handlebars. The Ducati streetfighter is very much that. The triumph speed triple is very much that. Is there some better definition I don't know about?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

By that definition the Ducati Streetfighter is exactly that.

It's a 1098, with lazier rake, handlebars and a longer swingarm.

I think you are getting a bit to hung up in the step by step 'how to make a street fighter' and not so much that it's a style of bike now. You can argue the speed triple is just a standard. The Tuono is very much a streetfighter, so is the Ducati,they exist. They are awesome. You don't have to make your own now, though you should because they are way awesome when they are scrapped together in some shed.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

where in that sentence did I mention making it longer or lazier?

2ndclasscitizen posted:

...Stripped with handlebars, and then fitted with lazier steering...

Really?

It's not a custom bike anymore. It used to be, now it's been marketed and produced and is a style of bike. Supermotos used to be garage projects, now we buy them. Cafe racers used to be a mod, now its retail. Things end up in production.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

From what I've heard, it's very hard to gently caress up a DRZ in any major way. They're pretty bulletproof.

They are bulletproof through and through. It would take an amazing feat of bad luck or neglect to destroy one.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Get the TL, be killed with a smile on your face and let the bike handle the cremation.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I've ridden one of those, they are fun as poo poo. Seems like a decent deal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'd check out...
http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/mcy/1975037433.html
Given its not a shitfest, the ad certainly sucks. 750's are just better than 600's